20240331_104306 (resized).jpg
20240329_172816 (resized).jpg
20240329_155815 (resized).jpg
DSCN7358 (resized).JPG
IMG_2472.gif
IMG_0823 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1603 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1604 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider therudyb.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1750 4 years ago

I introduced a friend to Funhouse last night - a game he heretofore thought was just (and could only be) a video pinball.

One thing he said while playing was that it was virtually impossible for him to read the mirror. That made me realize that, because I have played the game so many times over so many years, I don’t actually ever read the mirror when I’m playing; I just know what feature is lit by its position on the mirror.

But reading the mirror is a legitimate concern for someone new to the game (and now for me since I’ll forever notice it every time I play.)

Has anyone done anything that improves the readability of the mirror? What might help do so? Tone down the brightness of bulbs in the mirror? Aim a spotlight at it? I certainly do not want to somehow “fog it up” as that would make it look more like a sign rather than a mirror.

Thoughts, suggestions, success stories?

2 weeks later
#1766 4 years ago

My apologies if this has already been discussed, but I just discovered it:

NOT virtual pinball, mind you (although the cabinet he made is pretty neat) but rather the deeper - and much darker - story he offers about what might really be going on with Rudy and the funhouse. If you thought the game was creepy before, wait until you hear this. Then try to unhear it, especially when you're playing the game.

I totally, thoroughly, and completely do not believe that this is what Mr. Lawlor and the team had in mind when they designed Funhouse. But minimally it will give you an interesting tale to tell to taunt and tantalize tribes of the easily terror-stricken. And maximally? I could be wrong.

#1768 4 years ago
Quoted from spblat:

Somewhere in this thread I saw somebody outfit the mirror with colored incandescent bulbs. I think LED’ding any pinball is a good idea but I love the concept of using incandescent bulbs wherever they’re visible to the naked eye above the playfield. The Funhouse mirror wants #555’s. pinballlife.com doesn’t have a full combination of colored incandescent #44’s and #555’s in stock right now, but FYI bulbtown.com does. I’ve made an order and will circle back to confirm they’re as good as I hope they are.

Just put mine in a few minutes ago. I really like them - reminds of the grip/love testers in old arcades.
Love Tester (resized).pngLove Tester (resized).png

FH Mirror Incandescents Smaller (resized).jpgFH Mirror Incandescents Smaller (resized).jpg
5 months later
#2021 3 years ago

One of the few things that always annoyed me on my Funhouse was how certain lamps - even after swapped for LEDs - were right in your face as you play. I was especially plagued by four of them on the left side of the playfield: the one under the rise on the crazy steps, the one just behind the upper flipper, and ones behind the "T" standup target for STEP. I could never think of an appropriately functional but also aesthetic way to soften them so over the years I just lived with it.

This past weekend, while doing some thinning of old crap that's been laying around too long, I came across a half-used bag of pillow fiberfill. It hit me as I was about to toss it in the trash: COTTON CANDY!!! See the pics.

I used a pink and a blue alcohol-based marker to color four balls of fiberfill. The two I used are double ended: chisel tip and brush tip. The brush tip worked perfectly when you use the side of brush. It only takes a few minutes to do each one. You want a deep, vibrant color because if you stop when you reach point where the ball looks like cotton candy in your hand, you'll hardly notice the color when it's lit up (not that I did that in my initial rush to try one on my game ASAP, of course.) I still have a little tweaking to do of the ones behind the T, but I'm liking both the effectiveness and how it fits with the theme.

(And yes - that is a spotlight I added using a Matrix kit from the good folks at Comet. It helps illuminate Rudy's face. I tied it to the LED in my lampshade so they'd operate together.)

Cotton Candy Materials (resized).jpgCotton Candy Materials (resized).jpgCotton Candy OFF (resized).jpgCotton Candy OFF (resized).jpgCotton Candy ON (resized).jpgCotton Candy ON (resized).jpg
#2028 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

That looks like a beautiful example of FH! Do you have any wide shots?

I do think it is in quite excellent shape.
This one is most definitely anchored, chained and bolted to the floor.

I can send you a few pics unless folks here really want to see more pictures of another Funhouse.

1 month later
#2109 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Sure, incandescents just warp and kill the plastics, fade out the artwork and buckle the GI circuit after killing the driver board.
But put in old bulbs if you wish, its your game.
I would never put regular bulbs in any game that i could put leds.
The games are getting too expensive to throw away the plastics and playfields, just to use #44 original bulbs.
Even much dimmer #47 bulbs dont solve the problem.
LEDs and ledocd with giocd all the way.
You dont even have to think, 2smd frosted sunlight color for everything.
Looks just like a new #44 bulb.
Games look amazing!

There is one place that I have incandescents on my Funhouse: the mirror.
If you look around you can find incandescent 555s in all sorts of colors. I have 1 red, 4 yellows and 1 green in the corresponding places on the mirror. Gives it that old arcade “grip tester” look since no bulb condoms are needed. Since they’re exposed and not under any inserts, I’m not too concerned about them hurting anything. Plus I bought a dozen of each color (x 4 for yellow) so I have a decent supply to cover the inevitable burnouts. But I like their look on the mirror and they’re a breeze to replace when needed.

Frosted sunlight LEDs everywhere else.

3 weeks later
#2191 3 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Thanks. That's what made it awesome... I saw that Rudy on here a few years ago and LOVED him! Totally a polar thing, and I get the purist aspect but it is just so creepy watching his bloodshot eyes

If you want to make Rudy even creepier regardless of how he's painted, check out High Voltages’ Rudy Mad Eyes mod here:

http://ccpinball.com/shop.html?v=1125c

As noted there, the video doesn't do it justice - the eyes go VERY red when triggered.

I had to overcome my long-standing hesitancy to take Rudy partially apart, but the instructions made it very straightforward. Be sure you read through them several times before starting so you have the overall picture of how it's going to go. And while it won't take you that long, be sure you have a couple of hours available when you start so you can finish it in one session and not have to come back to it part way through later.

My factory-Rudy is much more intimidating now, so I can only imagine how nasty he'll look with any custom paint jobs.

#2196 3 years ago
Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

I haven't played my Funhouse for a while now, so excuse my ignorance, what's the mod?

Watch the three star posts just above the white pop bumper.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 29.95
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 22.50
13,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bethel Park, PA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Haledon, NJ

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider therudyb.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/funhouse-club?tu=therudyb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.