20240331_104306 (resized).jpg
20240329_172816 (resized).jpg
20240329_155815 (resized).jpg
DSCN7358 (resized).JPG
IMG_2472.gif
IMG_0823 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1603 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1604 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jgelman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2657 3 years ago

Please Pimp my Funhouse!

Around 15 years ago, I purchased a restored Funhouse. I did not have the best setup for it to be played, and so it was only played occasionally, but that has favorably changed. I am now motivated to devote some time to work on my machines, including Funhouse to make sure they are in the best possible shape.

I enclosed some pictures of my Funhouse. I was curious what you all think of the condition of my machine compared to other restored "collector quality" machines out there and what you would suggest for upgrades if this was your machine.

I was thinking Invisiglass for sure along with LEDs, but not any lighting that would make the game harder to play. I suppose upgraded speakers with Pinsound would be a nice option. Of particular interest would be any lighting changes that would make it easier to see targets.

thank you!

Unknown (resized).jpegUnknown (resized).jpegUnknown-1 (resized).jpegUnknown-1 (resized).jpegUnknown-10 (resized).jpegUnknown-10 (resized).jpegUnknown-11 (resized).jpegUnknown-11 (resized).jpegUnknown-12 (resized).jpegUnknown-12 (resized).jpegUnknown-13 (resized).jpegUnknown-13 (resized).jpegUnknown-15 (resized).jpegUnknown-15 (resized).jpegUnknown-17 (resized).jpegUnknown-17 (resized).jpegUnknown-18 (resized).jpegUnknown-18 (resized).jpegUnknown-2 (resized).jpegUnknown-2 (resized).jpegUnknown-3 (resized).jpegUnknown-3 (resized).jpegUnknown-4 (resized).jpegUnknown-4 (resized).jpegUnknown-5 (resized).jpegUnknown-5 (resized).jpegUnknown-6 (resized).jpegUnknown-6 (resized).jpegUnknown-8 (resized).jpegUnknown-8 (resized).jpegUnknown-9 (resized).jpegUnknown-9 (resized).jpeg
#2658 3 years ago

Any yes, Rudy will be seeing an Ophthalmologist to get his strabismus fixed

#2664 3 years ago

There was a bit of battery damage and a few glitches. Plan is

Replace MPU with WPC-89 MPU from Arcadeshop

Also,

Titan rubber
Invisiglass
Pinsound and Speaker, maybe headphone jack
New Trap door
Rudy parts
Playfield polish - overall maintenance-cleaning

Maybe LED OCD and GI OCD boards

So far.... not sure about the shaker.

I saw an interesting mod where there is a red light when Rudy's mouth is open. Not sure if that would enhance gameplay or be gimmicky.

The suggestions are much appreciated.

1 week later
#2726 2 years ago

Not long ago, I posted some pictures of my Funhouse on this thread seeking feedback on what would be advised for upgrades. Feedback much appreciated and the machine is getting some attention. I recently saw a very nicely restored Funhouse on the market for around $8,500 that was said to have sold for $8,300. I would have paid $8,500 for it. Then it went back on the market for $14,000 and sold. Then it went back on the market for $14,000 apparently because there was some import-shipping issues related to that sale. When I saw it back on the market, I was thinking maybe it would be nice to sell my Funhouse, and pay a reasonable amount extra to get one already equipped with the Pinsound, nice chrome, attention to the interior, etc. However, if I were to pay $14,000 or the $13,000 it just sold for according to the seller's listing, it seems like the difference between what I could sell my machine for and what I would be paying would be far more than what it would cost for me to enhance my machine.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/archive/114140

Just very interesting to see a Funhouse sell for this much money. My highly restored supposedly highly collectable King of Diamonds is not selling for less than 1/3 of that price.

#2765 2 years ago

Again, many thanks to those who replied to my post with pictures of my machine seeking advice on some upgrades. I purchased my Funhouse around 15 years ago. I do not recall the price, but I do remember it was supposed to be in great shape with everything in working order. I wish I could find the records. It did not get played much, but now that is about to change.

I would have liked to sell it to get the one that sold for $13,000 if the price was not $13,000.

As my machine is now getting some attention, I am seeing what is involved in getting it to be collector quality and in perfect functional condition. It is a challenge, at least for me. For example, Rudy not only has eye issues where parts are needed, but the metal housing bracket has a broken tab. It seems that a replacement is not to be found. I guess one could be fabricated or someone with metal working skills could fixe it, but dealing with that 1 issue alone is a challenge for someone (like me) who is not a restoration master.

When one adds up not only the cost of parts, if they can be found, but the hours of work, I can start to see why a very well restored machine can get the high dollar. If labor is fun and a hobby and one has the time and skill, great! Very rewarding. But from a money standpoint, if those hours were spent at work, the money earned would for many would add up along with parts to be more than the difference between the "beater"and the highly restored machine.

Just how things seem to me. I understand there are other viewpoints. Does anyone have a Rudy housing to sell? LOL

1 week later
#2779 2 years ago

On page 54, I posted pictures of my Funhouse and asked for advice on some upgrades. Around that time, I saw a nicely restored Funhouse sell for $13,000 following forum comments about how the machine was worth thousands less.

With that advice and with some help from a forum member, we started to make a plan. The Rudy housing had a busted tab, I and I was very fortunate to find a new replacement with no busted tabs. With fixed eyes that had issues, the plan is to transfer to the new large bracket. Also the trap door is to be fixed.

Got the LED OCD and GIOCD boards. Got chrome from Chris at Hod Rod Arcade. I know that this was not necessary and some think it is not necessarily better than the original look. Maybe that was not the best use of money. I never had chrome before on a machine. Some get the chrome coin door, but for me, I prefer black for now. Got the full complete Pinsound package including shaker.

It is my understanding that changing out the side rails will not be so difficult if the cabinet was previously painted, but if the side rails are "factory" installed, that will be more of a challenge. Not sure if my cabinet is original or not. Maybe some of you know. Also with the playfield, it seems in very good shape to me, but I wish I knew with certainty what I have. Maybe some of you would know how to tell.

I will get the upgraded lampshade, but not now. The mod couple is out for this at $39 and I do not understand why what seems to be the same item should cost $84.99 at Pinball Decal

https://www.pinballdecals.com/PartsByGamePages/Funhouse_Page.html

It you all have reason to believe it is a better product, I would pay extra, but in principle I do not like to be overcharged.

Anyhow, making progress.

Unknown-1 (resized).jpegUnknown-1 (resized).jpegUnknown-2 (resized).jpegUnknown-2 (resized).jpegUnknown-3 (resized).jpegUnknown-3 (resized).jpeg
#2784 2 years ago
Quoted from zerbam:

glad you are happy with my extra rudy frame that sold to you

Yes, I am happy. I am so happy, I recently mentioned your generosity and how I value the help of members on this post:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-the-mandalorian-le-1/page/3

#2786 2 years ago

Was just wondering: I do not know if my cabinet is original or not. Can anyone tell for sure? It is my understanding that if original, it may be harder to remove the side rails.

Also wondering: Can any experts tell if my playfield original or DiamondPlate, or clear coated at some point or repro etc?

Thanks!!

#2790 2 years ago

Multiple pictures posted on page 54. Happy to post more along with any parts of the cabinet/playfield you would find helpful.

#2792 2 years ago

I had it for 15 years and I do not know the history. I was just asking if anyone can tell what I have in terms of playfield and cabinet. It seems the playfield and cabinet are in good shape, but I do not know if the cabinet was restored or not. I do not know if the playfield is original or repro or other details. I was hoping someone would be able to tell from my pictures. Thanks.

#2799 2 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

The pictures you posted don't show the playfield detail well enough to identify the supplier. The area that will help identify the manufacturer is the return path BELOW the flippers (usually black ink on the dark blue background) and then UNDER the apron (you'll need to remove the apron) and lastly the front EDGE of the playfield (LIFT the playfield to see the front edge). Post some additional pictures of those areas and we can have a look.

Please see additional pictures of the playfield to supplement what I posted on page 54. If you can tell if this is an original or repro playfield along with any other details, that would be great! Thanks.Unknown-9 (resized).jpegUnknown-9 (resized).jpegUnknown-9 (resized).jpegUnknown-9 (resized).jpeg

Unknown-5 (resized).jpegUnknown-5 (resized).jpegUnknown-8 (resized).jpegUnknown-8 (resized).jpegUnknown-6 (resized).jpegUnknown-6 (resized).jpegUnknown-7 (resized).jpegUnknown-7 (resized).jpegUnknown (resized).jpegUnknown (resized).jpegUnknown-1 (resized).jpegUnknown-1 (resized).jpegUnknown-2 (resized).jpegUnknown-2 (resized).jpegUnknown-3 (resized).jpegUnknown-3 (resized).jpegUnknown-4 (resized).jpegUnknown-4 (resized).jpeg
#2808 2 years ago

Thanks to all for the information. Trap door stop ordered. A couple more cabinet pictures uploaded. I did notice the ghosting on the "millions" insert as did others. A couple of other inserts have very subtle ghosting, but overall, looks very nice to me. If definitely has that shiny clear coat look to it unlike my original HUO Aquarius playfield. I purchased the machine 15 years ago. I have a "Pinball" hanging file where I keep info, but I could not find anything about that purchase. Generally, I have a good memory, but not in this case.

Screen Shot 2021-05-22 at 12.04.47 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-05-22 at 12.04.47 PM (resized).pngUnknown-2 (resized).jpegUnknown-2 (resized).jpegUnknown-3 (resized).jpegUnknown-3 (resized).jpegUnknown-4 (resized).jpegUnknown-4 (resized).jpeg
#2826 2 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

I seem to remember a posting here on the Forum about 3-4 months ago of a Funhouse that literally fell out of a truck on a cross-town move. The pictures were kind of horrific. That project/bucket might be available.... 8-)

I actually sent a message to him a couple of days ago suggesting he reach out to pinballreno, with no personal or financial interest. I received reply saying it is being restored by Music City Pinball and it should be done next week.

I am not familiar with Music City Pinball but have a feeling that machine would have been better served by a pinballreno restoration.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

13,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.50
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Haledon, NJ
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bethel Park, PA
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jgelman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/funhouse-club?tu=jgelman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.