20240331_104306 (resized).jpg
20240329_172816 (resized).jpg
20240329_155815 (resized).jpg
DSCN7358 (resized).JPG
IMG_2472.gif
IMG_0823 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1603 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1604 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider arcadenerd925.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#435 7 years ago

I am excited to officially be a member of this club!

It is one of the sample units with the DP PF (in fantastic condition), decals will eventually get some love but for now I am just stoked to have it. A few switches need attention and the PF could use a quick clean and coat of wax but other than that not a whole lot to do.

For now this goes next to my TZ in the garage (that we just finished drywalling, ugh, never again do I want to do that, I have a newfound respect for those that do drywall work, heh)

20170117_135137 (resized).jpg20170117_135137 (resized).jpg

#444 7 years ago

Pics from my newly acquired FH.

Gave it a quick wipe down (not that it was that dirty, but a little dusty in spots), Note: the S target stopped working (failed my manual test) so I replaced it with another standup destined for TZ that I had laying around until a new one arrives. Ramps were previously replaced and in general everything appears intact and in pretty decent shape.

20170119_200234 (resized).jpg20170119_200234 (resized).jpg

Under the PF looks pretty good, subways were previously removed and cleaned

20170119_190753 (resized).jpg20170119_190753 (resized).jpg

Not sure the signifigance of the serial#, but this is one of the sample machines.

20170119_190828 (resized).jpg20170119_190828 (resized).jpg

1 of 2 areas of wear/issue on the PF, not sure what these little holes are from, but I confirmed when grabbing it that there are no holes or screws on the other side. Ball cant hit this area so i wasnt too concerned. Will consider touching it up down the road.

20170119_200245 (resized).jpg20170119_200245 (resized).jpg

2 of 2: shooter lane could use a little love.

20170119_200253 (resized).jpg20170119_200253 (resized).jpg

Not pictured, the steps shooter lane on the left side, I noticed when picking it up that it was a little dirty over there, however, did not notice that it had mylar there. Does not look to be damaged at all so I thought that was strange. Will contemplate down the road removing that strip of mylar to give it a good clean and touch up if needed.

In the process of ordering:

- Rubber kit
- Flipper rebuild kit (functions fine, but the return spring on the left is kind of weak, so i figured might as well have the kit on hand for parts + some extra springs)
- Steps stand up targets
- May pick up a few switches to keep on hand (trough, ramps, etc) but so far they all seem to work fine.

If I have missed anything let me know.

#449 7 years ago

"might want to pick up the round jaw gear while your at it. these commonly break."

Sweet, appreciate the suggestion.

20170119_200253 (resized).jpg20170119_200253 (resized).jpg

20170119_190828 (resized).jpg20170119_190828 (resized).jpg

20170119_200245 (resized).jpg20170119_200245 (resized).jpg

20170119_190753 (resized).jpg20170119_190753 (resized).jpg

20170119_200234 (resized).jpg20170119_200234 (resized).jpg

#450 7 years ago
Quoted from Kronlar:

I was able to spend some time with my new acquisition this weekend. Got the speaker wiring figured out, so the request a few posts above isn't needed anymore. Turns out I had 2 speakers bad out of 3. Ended up buying a new pair of speakers for the backbox and rewired the connection with an L-pad attenuator. Next up on sound will be a new cabinet woofer with crossover.
Replaced the swollen cabinet bottom with new 3/4" plywood for better cabinet integrity.
Removed mylar and in process of removing the leftover adhesive now. Even with the flour/alcohol method it's a pain. It had to go though since the mylar was bubbled up enough to affect ball travel.
Any recommendations for a domestic source for the main ramp? I can find the step ramp, but not the main ramp in the US so far. Mine has a crack along the backside of the curve. Looks like from the billboard hanging up when the playfield is lowered. Playable, but want a new one for the restore.
Having a lot of fun with this one so far. Reading the thread I saw a few mentions of a brass pin found loose in other FH pins. Mine had one in the bottom too. Saved it till I figure out where it goes.

Glad you were able to figure out the wiring, was about to snap a pic of mine but realized that since its a sample machine it has a sys11 sound board, so I didn't want to throw you off, heh.

Any pics to share of the mylar removal project? Previous owner of mine put some mylar down on the steps shooter lane and I considering removing to clean it up a bit.

#453 7 years ago
Quoted from Kronlar:

No photos of the actual Mylar removal. It took about 5 minutes and most of a can of compressed air. Can upside down to spray freezing air at the Mylar. Went in small sections to make sure all adhesive was frozen when I pulled.
I may take a few pics of the adhesive removal when I work on it during the evenings this week.

Appreciate it, I am new to the process but had assumed I would use my rework heat gun @ low temp to warm the glue underneath, so this is the kinda stuff I need to hear, haha.

#455 7 years ago

Sweet, let us know how the LED's and Cliffy process goes, I will be heading down this same path soon-ish.

#457 7 years ago

Sweet! are you using that LED OCD thing? (unsure if that is needed or not, both for inserts and/or GI)

#464 7 years ago

Question: where is switch 55 steps superdog opto, apparently I need to check it. Having trouble locating it via manual.

#465 7 years ago
Quoted from arcadenerd925:

Question: where is switch 55 steps superdog opto, apparently I need to check it. Having trouble locating it via manual.

Ah, not in front of machine. @ the top of the steps ramp I believe. Will run through switch test. Wonder If I Just Haven't Hit It Yet

Left plunger seems weAK so hard to get that far

#468 7 years ago
Quoted from grandy:

Anyone have an LED inventory for this machine? I am going to wait on doing the GI but i would love to get a list of all the bulbs for inserts if anybody has it handy.

Yeah I would be curious to get some feedback on what to use myself as well. and then get some to try and play around with it a bit.

#474 7 years ago
Quoted from TheKreator:

I just did LEDs and started by manually taking a look at the playfield above and below and writing down exactly what was needed. Smiley's list above is a good start. Be sure to write down specifically what socket type (44 or 555, or 906 for wedge flashers). I then placed a custom order through Comet Pinball for everything, including some extra bits and pieces for additional strip lighting in the back and apron area.
I definitely need to get the OCD board though. I disabled the "dimming" feature to avoid the LED strobe, but the dimming is such a cool thing on this game, especially as the game progresses towards midnight and into multiball.
I'm also planning to add some custom enhancement lighting tied into existing inserts. For example, the Hallway is pretty dark so I'm going to add two extra spot lights inside which activate when the "Lock" insert is lit, and when the "Extra Ball" insert is lit. I think that will be a nice addition, and also visually make it more obvious when to go for that shot. I might add lighting in the Mirror scoop too, tied to the inserts for the Mirror so it only glows when active rather than always being lit up.

This! I was also curious about doing something with the hidden hallway and scoops. Considering using the pinduino to controll it.

For the insert LED's, which comet's did you end up going with style wise (i assume like the other LED mfg's they have diff version/type lights)

#484 7 years ago

Regarding "switch 55 (step sup.dog opto)", I just had that come up on my test report too. It is the opto at the very end of the steps ramp before it comes back down on the other side. Check it via switch test, but in my case, I never make it to the end of that ramp, so that one is basically always going to show up in the test report (since noone is hitting it)

#485 7 years ago

If it says missing balls on startup, go back into switch test and check the switches in the trough. Check to make sure each one registers when a ball is present. Could just be a bad, misaligned or loose switch.

Do the flippers work when in test mode? if not, I would check the wires going to it, fuses, etc and start there.

1 month later
#509 7 years ago

My post sleeves are in need of replacement post haste. what colors/brand do you guys use?

#511 7 years ago

yeah i was thinking of trying to color match the sleeve to the PF location, or just get blue. was curious to see what others have done.

#516 7 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Cliffys! Support a local pinball guy, he's only about 30mins away.

That works, didnt realize he made/sold post sleeves, need to order several cliffys anyways. thnx!

2 months later
#569 6 years ago
Quoted from provato:

No text parts in pdf, only scanned and cleaned images. I don't trust the OCR in acrobat and I'm certainly not going to correct all these pages of text after OCR pass

Can you zip the whole thing? curious to see how much that saves. you could also just upload it to a free file sharing service and then just paste the link. (oops, i see someone else already suggested this)

I am curious to check this out myself as the person who sold me mine could not find the manual.

#570 6 years ago

For those of you who use LED's on the inserts. What do you use? I know FH doesnt do much dimming (attract and i think during one part of the game?) so I wasnt sure if LED-OCD was needed here.

Curious to get others thoughts.

#571 6 years ago

Also, need to replace a handful of playfield plastics. I may just end up having to buy a repro set, if anyone else is looking for plastics and would be interested in going in on a set (depending on what we both need of course) let me know.

#579 6 years ago
Quoted from provato:

On the contrary, FH has G.I. dimming during midnight multiball (and other circumstances) which is vital to the game. I was lucky enough to have minimum flickering & ghosting with Non-ghosting leds (smd 5050). Others say that the ghosting in FH is the worst they've seen. If you are going to spend 150 on a board, buy the G.I. OCD (not the LED OCD) and buy only non-ghosting leds for lamp matrix.
Which plastics do you need? I have some original ones in good condition after I bought a nos set.
about the manual: I 7-zipped it and it still takes up 700 mb... I'll p.m. you when I upload it somewhere

Thanks, I am going to try these LED's from comet for the inserts: "ULTIMATE OPTIX - NO GHOST, NO FLICKER, LESS STROBING" http://www.cometpinball.com/category-s/1837.htm and may try a few in the GI to see how they do, and if needed, grab the GI OCD board. appreciate the input.

Will look more closely at the plastics to come up with a map of what i needed.

1 month later
#611 6 years ago

im assuming my display is on it's way out?

#613 6 years ago
Quoted from MMGB:

I would tend to agree with you.

This is my first machine on this particular platform, just wasnt sure if there was anything else to check.

Any recommendations on a replacement? pinscore, xpin, rottendog?

#616 6 years ago

Thanks gents, appreciate the input.

#619 6 years ago
Quoted from Kronlar:

Any chance one of you owners could get me a measurement for placement of the cabinet speaker relative to either the back cabinet wall or the lateral divider board behind the coin box? Centered side to side?
Just need to know where to drill new hole. Had to replace base of my cabinet and lost the paper with that note...

I can pull this up tonight if noone else gets a chance to look.

#620 6 years ago
Quoted from gutz:

I'd at least try a new ribbon cable (or flip the current one end for end) to see if that is the issue before spending $200 for new displays.

Makes sense, I will give this a try tonight. I have some time to play with it before I grab a new one (im not in a huge rush, its still playable)

#621 6 years ago
Quoted from Kronlar:

Any chance one of you owners could get me a measurement for placement of the cabinet speaker relative to either the back cabinet wall or the lateral divider board behind the coin box? Centered side to side?
Just need to know where to drill new hole. Had to replace base of my cabinet and lost the paper with that note...

here ya go

fh-cab (resized).jpgfh-cab (resized).jpg

1 week later
#627 6 years ago
Quoted from Kronlar:

No going back now...

Keep us posted on how it goes, I'd like to do the same one of these days.

#632 6 years ago

Makes sense, I will give this a try tonight. I have some time to play with it before I grab a new one (im not in a huge rush, its still playable)

Glad I at least tried re-seating the cables b4 buying the new display. Problem has magically disappeared, lol.

2 weeks later
#639 6 years ago

have a line on a IPB repro PF for Funhouse. I am told it is from the second run (drilled and dimpled). How would something like this line up with a Mirco quality wise?

I was planning to just buy a Mirco at some point and then just horde it until I was ready to do my restore (no time right now) when this fell in to my lap so to speak.

Just trying to gauge quality as that is my primary concern.

#643 6 years ago
Quoted from CosmoJoe:

I want to add, I have the utmost respect for the people who tackle a PF swap on their own. I very much wanted to do it myself, but between having 2 cats, 2 young kids and no really good place to spread out and work on the project, I opted to find someone with the experience and workspace to do it. Was worth every penny! I have heard people talk about a new PF but wow, the ball just glides like it is on glass.

Yeah, mirco made the OEM PF that came in my WOZ and I'm very happy with the finish/quality. But if I can get the IPB PF @ a good enough price I may consider it.

I really dig the art bladez you have in yours. Really goes with the theme.

#657 6 years ago
Quoted from Fairground:

Hi everyone
Can I join the club please?, my Funhouse delivered last night

Welcome!

3 weeks later
#691 6 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Finally got mine home for the 1st time in 14 years (since I bought it)
Time to start the restoration

Gonna start a restore thread? Would love to see.

I will be attempting this at some point as well.

1 month later
#704 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballshark:

I got my new Mirco playfield installed. It looks NICE! Many new parts, new ramps, new plastics, all metal polished, flippers rebuilt, etc. I did my own lighting mods. All the work was well worth it.

How was the mirco PF? did you have to drill or open up any of the holes? or was it ready to rock and roll?

I am considering picking up one.

1 month later
#762 6 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

Cool! I just spent a while doing some tweaks. Glad this is done. Thanks!

Glad you got it working. Santa is bringing me a Mirco FH PF so I'm going to start pulling all the parts together for my own swap. Any tips for someone attempting to do their first swap? (other than label and take a crap ton of pics)

#765 6 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

You got the most important parts already, label and pics. You can't have enough pics, period. Expect to spend more than you expect, and more time than you expect.
I'm doing mine sometime after the holidays. I'm more nervous about the cab restore than the PF swap.

Yeah, I am going to re-decal mine. just havent decided if I should do that first. there is one corner that needs fixin (that I know of) that I assume i can just use some bondo on. It will be a learning experience! (I will create a thread and post here, sure to be entertaining, haha)

#768 6 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

Rotisseries would have been great to have. I used some folding tables. Take pictures from lots of different angles. I used different colored and numbered labels. One color for lights, one for coils, etc.. I tried to have parts for the things I thought would break but still had to do a few more orders during the rebuild. I am still adjusting things like the pops. It does look great when it lights up during Frenzy. Faster now and still a ball drainer!

Yea I dont have access to a rotisserie (and I dont think I will be doing enough swaps to justify buying one) so I am probably just going to build some sort of simple jig/holder that the PF can easily rest on (on top of a folding table) in a fashion that is easy to flip it. But I have some time to stew, It's realistically going to be mid 2018 that I attempt this. Just too busy right now. I just wanted to get the PF while they were plentiful (have no idea how often Mirco runs these things) and this game is a keeper for me so it's one that I feel I will really enjoy doing.

#782 6 years ago

ok, my Mirco FH PF has arrived. Is there anything in particular I should be looking at or checking other than obvious shipping damage?

3 weeks later
#797 6 years ago

Gearing up for my PF swap (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/funhouse-my-first-restoration-help-me-not-botch-this)

And I am sorting out ramp flaps, one thing that always bugged me when I got my FH is the left steps ramp entrance. The previous owner mylar'd it down for some reason.

20171230_201451 (resized).jpg20171230_201451 (resized).jpg

Any chance someone could take a pic of the same spot on thiers so I can compare? No rush.

#800 6 years ago

Thanks for the pic. very helpful.

#804 6 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

He may have done the mylar because of the ball dropping there. The ball on mine falls on the flap. I only added mylar at the other 2 ball drops when I swapped the playfield recently.

Did you leave the pops alone? is it a mirco?

Considering where to put mylar on my new PF that I am gearing up to swap

#809 6 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

I got the playfield from Marco. Does not say who made it. The clear coat is thick and looks great. A few of the dimples were not right. I lined up stuff myself. The pops do not need the mylar on mine. I did the drops because that is where the old pf took a lot of damage. I got sheets of mylar from Marco and custom cut pieces.

Quoted from dsuperbee:

Ball drops, pop bumper nest, where the ball lands in the right orbit from the shooter lane, and a small patch where the ball lands from the kick out.

Thanks guys, appreciate the insight.

#810 6 years ago

What do you guys think about pop bumper LED's? Any pics or info to share about your setup?

Debating between just putting an LED bulb in there VS something like a ring

#823 6 years ago

I think you guys should agree to disagree. To each his/her own. I tend to avoid buying stuff overseas for this reason, but being on this side of the pond I don't run into that issue often.

#834 6 years ago

Question: The flashers in the "Rudy Alive" billboard in the back right of the playfield (mounted to the main ramp) are those #906 bulbs? Already closed things up for the night so I'm just being lazy at this point. heh.

1 week later
#858 6 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

Guys....Im just getting around to this. Im missing the spotlight by Rudy's face. It looks like i have a little bit of a chunk missing where the spotlight would go. I would like to put the spotlight back. How painful would this be? Im having troubles seeing where the wiring would go?

Happy to take pics of mine if you still end up needing them.

On another topic, I see you have the LED rings in your pops, any chance you could take a vid of how they look? I am still going back and forth between just putting an LED bulb in there VS a ring.

#862 6 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

Im having trouble posting video.....they are "ok." They led rings have a hint of ghosting to them. My red quit working. I thought about just putting the regular caps back on with leds.

Yeah its hard to post videos here, easiest is to upload to youtube and then post youtube link here (which is a pain, so if you dont have time its cool)

Appreciate the pic though!

3 weeks later
#883 6 years ago
Quoted from chrismoore701:

Sorry to sound ignorant. I have been all over ebay. How do you go to the fh Page? How do you pick international shippers? Can figure this out and i am fluent with ebay

I assume this is it (i googled "ebay mr pinball australia"): ebay.com link: ebay.com

you could then search "funhouse" within the store: ebay.com link: Mr Pinball Australia

4 months later
#981 5 years ago

Ugh, wish I was far as you guys with my swap. I am still trying to wrap up the lower cab, then the backbox, then apply decals.. then it's on to populating the PF.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/funhouse-my-first-restoration-help-me-not-botch-this

20180616_092904 (resized).jpg20180616_092904 (resized).jpg

#991 5 years ago
Quoted from Elicash:

Pinball Life sells a coil sleeve kit for Funhouse. Easier in my opinion to just buy all.

Link? I'd be interested in this as well but can't seem to find it. (or do you just have to reach out and ask them)

#995 5 years ago

Awesome, thanks guys

#1009 5 years ago
Quoted from choseh:

Hey everyone, new to pinside and saying hello to all fellow FunHouse owners

Welcome!

1 week later
#1033 5 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Yes, during test mode everything works but during gameplay eyes don’t open..

Any chance you can post a video?

From what you were saying (problem solved with Battery change) it seems like it started working again for a while?

4 weeks later
#1084 5 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

Proud to finally be in the club!
[quoted image]

Welcome! nice lineup BTW

2 weeks later
#1096 5 years ago
Quoted from Elicash:

Thanks. Any idea where this was posted about? Was it in FH thread or in another thread? Do you have a link for the 3M stuff you used? thanks.

I'm in the same boat (might have been me that previously posted asking about it). I decided to just get this and cut down to size if needed:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=0500-9851

#1099 5 years ago
Quoted from Elicash:

Thanks. On a related note - anyone know where I can buy the ramp flaps? Seems Pinbits is sold out and so is Marco Specialties.
Anyone have on hand that they would sell?

Send them an email and ask. They were sold out when i tried to get mine but Cliffy gave me the tip to reach out and they ended up selling me a set.

#1101 5 years ago

Bout to start populating my new Mirco PF.

Question, after the trap door, where the clear plastic is screwed to the PF.. on the new PF, there are clearly dimples, but no real pilot hole. This ok? or should i drill some?

20180815_184048 (resized).jpg20180815_184048 (resized).jpgFunhouse_Trap_Door (resized).jpgFunhouse_Trap_Door (resized).jpg
#1107 5 years ago

Thanks guys, appreciate the input! I will def drill the pilot holes.

#1109 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

You don’t want cracks in the clear, they are impossible to fix, and they will eventually get worse. Ron kruzman sells a Dremel bit kit which has every size and shape you would ever need, it’s a lifesaver, especially given he does such a thorough job and so many coats of clear

Yeah I bought the kit (even though he did not clear the mirco i bought) I also have a diamond burr dremel bit set as well. so my plan is clear the clear (heh) away from the dimples where the holes should be, then drill small pilot holes.

#1125 5 years ago
Quoted from Zennmaster:

Hi all -
(I hope this hasn't been discussed to death, I searched this thread and didn't find much)
I am going to be looking at a Funhouse shortly, and was hoping current owners might be able to chime in on what I should be looking at in order to avoid a nightmare.
Are there any game-specific issues that are instant grounds for rejection?
Anything that I should make sure has already been addressed?
Any fragile or weak parts that are uber-expensive or else downright unobtainable?
Thanks!

Mostly just the typical pin buying check list. Give the PF a good once over for damage, look at the condition of the boards (any hacks? etc), check for a credit dot, etc.

If it were me, I would be closely looking at the condition of rudy himself, run through the rudy test to make sure all his parts function (mouth opens, eyelids open normal, open wide, his eyes move left and right)

good luck

#1129 5 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Scoop wear, functioning trapdoor.
Good advice with Rudy, but with the exception of the head shells, everything else involved with fixing Rudy is available, and restoring his operation isn't as difficult as the reputation says.

Yeah good point, the Rudy stuff wasnt meant as a litmus test to buy or not buy, just to make sure you are aware of the condition vs price.

#1139 5 years ago
Quoted from Elicash:

Guys, I have reached out to Pam at Pinbits 3 times with no reply. Trying again to see if anyone here has any ramp flaps? I really only need the one on the metal guide in the plunger launch lane.
Thanks!

Did you try calling? she didnt respond to my email either.

2 weeks later
#1175 5 years ago

If anyone has a spare rudy face they would be interested in selling, PM me. thnx )

#1182 5 years ago
Quoted from Zennmaster:

The Sausage Bonus is awarded after a number of Rudy hits (I think it starts at 6, and maxes out at 12). The number gets reset when the high scores are reset, and then get incremented each time the bonus is awarded. Rudy says "You big sausage", and the player gets a million points.

Mine is a sample game, curious to try this with glass off (gotta tweak some lights any way) and will report back.

#1183 5 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

About to convert all lights to LED and wondering if anyone has tips on what colors look best on this game?

I just did mine but first ordered a test batch from comet and tried several options (with pics) you can see more here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/funhouse-my-first-restoration-help-me-not-botch-this/page/2#post-4159591

Keep reading on that page (so its not lost in the shuffle) I decided to scrap the ultimate optix ones (non-ghosting, etc) and went with the cheaper 2SMD's since I am adding an LED OCD.

I also went with the LED rings, I LOVE THEM! heh. I have not taken pictures yet (just got things back together late last night *yawn*) but I will asap.

#1186 5 years ago
Quoted from Zennmaster:

Cool, thanks! I've heard one or two people say they never got the Sausage Bonus on their samples, but I haven't been able to confirm if it was missing from the ROM, or if they had some other issue.
I just joined the club with a Sample game, but it's going to be a few days before I can get it set up, and while I think the Samples have some really nice features and historical/collector coolness, I have to admit, I'd miss the "You big... SAUSAGE!" callout.

Yea I just restored mine and most of the sample features are gone (wide rails, etc), I'm considering figuring out what i need to do to update the boards (update the sound board?) so i can run the latest ROM.

#1187 5 years ago

Actually, I have a question. I only did insert and GI LED's, next up, I need to do the backboard/translite switch to LED's. Anyone do this that can share what they did?

#1193 5 years ago
Quoted from Elicash:

Awesome thanks!
Actually found the part # too. It is called a spacer spool for anyone else looking for it.
part number 03-8371

Yeah, those are what i ordered from Marco (in stock)

#1198 5 years ago

Finally got around to seeing if i could get the Sausage bonus on my sample game, apparently it is in there!

#1199 5 years ago

on another side note, just finished my restore (well, the bulk of it). And i am noticing if I hit a fast ball up the ramp when it comes down the right wireform (if it has enough speed, I'd say 50% of the time) it smacks the welded bracket for the switch, bounces off one of the star posts and then continues.

I swear it never did this before but its possible I just wasn't paying attention? Feels like this should be a smooth shot but if the ball is traveling fast I dont see how it could avoid hitting that bracket.

20180911_220007 (resized).jpg20180911_220007 (resized).jpg
#1204 5 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

What version do you have? I just tried it on mine and did it about 50 times and he never does it.
I get:
Ow
This is really starting to annoy me
That was no accident
Big Deal
What did I ever do to you
Stop it!
The first 5 are kind of random starting with Ow!, and then finally Stop it! seems to be at the same point the You Big Sausage is each time.
I have the batteries out of mine - getting ready to mod for nvram. I'll have to see if there is maybe some setting in the audits that maybe controls this.
Also...I never realized that was an opto. I thought it worked like a target switch on the lip

I will have to check the board, but i started that video about 5 hits to rudy in (so it was a good amount of hits to get there, which explains why i never noticed it, heh)

#1205 5 years ago

while i was in tweaking some adjustments, if this helps:

I will have to check the board, but i started that video about 5 hits to rudy in (so it was a good amount of hits to get there, which explains why i never noticed it, heh)

20180912_204820 (resized).jpg20180912_204820 (resized).jpg20180912_204823 (resized).jpg20180912_204823 (resized).jpg
#1208 5 years ago

on another side note, just finished my restore (well, the bulk of it). And i am noticing if I hit a fast ball up the ramp when it comes down the right wireform (if it has enough speed, I'd say 50% of the time) it smacks the welded bracket for the switch, bounces off one of the star posts and then continues.
I swear it never did this before but its possible I just wasn't paying attention? Feels like this should be a smooth shot but if the ball is traveling fast I dont see how it could avoid hitting that bracket.
[quoted image]

I noticed the other side did not have this problem, so I just bent this one carefully to match and all is smooth now.

#1209 5 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Also, it looks like your ramps are immaculate! Do you know if they are original or replacements?

I was told when i picked this thing up that they were repro's that they swapped in a few years back. They polished up real nice though regardless.

#1211 5 years ago
Quoted from Zennmaster:

Interesting: You appear to be running a production game ROM. I'm pretty sure P-6 was the last proto/sample version. You said earlier that most of your Sample stuff was gone, do you still have the System 11 sound board, or is that now WPC? I've been wondering if the Game ROMs were interchangeable. I know the sound ROMs aren't.

I believe so, this is what I got:

20180316_194021 (resized).jpg20180316_194021 (resized).jpg

edit: i know i know, i have the "move your battery off the board" kit, gonna install it when i do the LED OCD

1 week later
#1219 5 years ago

Since i am finally getting around to learning this game... What happens when you hit all the STEP targets? I see they go dark and you can start over, but do you just get points? more for each time you complete it?

#1228 5 years ago

1. Never seen that myself, but I would check: do you have the right coil installed? (mine was replaced with no color or PN, or I would tell ya what I got) and check the lock mechanism itself, is it oriented correctly? Maybe could use some adjustment? (attaching a pic of mine taken when I was tearing it down)

2. There is a plastic piece that sits on top of the ramp (after the entrance sign), I had the same issue occasionally before rebuilding (there was a crack at the front of the plastic, so I know the ball was bashing it). The entrance itself must not have been smooth enough (maybe adjusting the screws at the entrance flap) in my case. If the ball is catching air when it hits the ramp, you'll have to figure out why.

3. I'm not knowledgeable enough to know (others will) but some how I doubt it.

4. If you loosen the screws holding the scoop on the bottom side, there should be some play to it. Move it slightly and tighten it back up.

Quoted from zacaj:

Hey all, joined the club recently
A few questions, if anyone has had to deal with this:
1. when a ball ejects from the lock, it often bounces off the wall and falls down away from the flipper. Any ways to get it to hug the wall more?
2. When I shoot the ramp, sometimes on what feels like a perfect shot, the ball just stops somehow under the entry switch area and comes back down. I've seen a few other FH that do similar. Anyone dealt with this?
3. is there a way to set it so I don't have to relock balls if I drain at midnight?
4. when the ball comes out of the scoop and I hold up the right flipper, it bounces and rolls off the edge. Is there some way to adjust the scoop so that this doesn't happen?
[quoted image]

20180312_200351 (resized).jpg20180312_200351 (resized).jpg

#1233 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Checked that, it's correct.

maybe adjusting the disc slightly on the shaft would change how strongly it pushes?

Thats what i was thinking, maybe adjust it slightly clockwise a little bit.

#1234 5 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

The switches on the ramps all unplug from below the playfield. Unplug and take out the ramps.

Steps ramp yes, for the main ramp you have to pull the diverter/rod out first.

#1236 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

If I make it any more clockwise it'll extend past the wall and I think a slow moving ball could get caught on it

When I say clockwise, I am looking down at it from the top of the PF (looking at it from where you would be adjusting it, bottom side, it would be counter clockwise). Also, I am purely talking about the shaft that holds the disk with the cutouts, not moving the whole mech.

Attached is a pic illustrating what I am thinking:

fh_lock (resized).jpgfh_lock (resized).jpg
#1240 5 years ago
Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

I’ve got a question for those of you who have swapped your original playfield for a Mirco. Did you have to drill out the hole for the post I’ve circled on the attached picture?[quoted image]
How was the post held in place (Tee nut or lock nut)?
My original playfield appears to be messed up in this area, and I’m not entirely sure it was stock.

On my original and on my new mirco (i did not have to drill or tweak this hole surprisingly) it was/is held in place by a lock nut.

Edit: hold that, im reviewing my pics. Maybe I did have to drill the one through. Will post both in a sec

#1242 5 years ago

looks like i did have to drill out mine as well, see old VS new

fh_new (resized).jpgfh_new (resized).jpgfh_old (resized).jpgfh_old (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#1283 5 years ago

On mine (and my Mirco had holes for it) there is one on the left side to the right of the left shooter lane.

FH-left-wire-guide (resized).jpgFH-left-wire-guide (resized).jpg
1 week later
#1315 5 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

For those who have replaced the GI with LED's how do they handle midnight mode? They dim pretty low during this phase. It looks like they either flash really quickly on/off or they lower the voltage? Do the LED's actually dim in some manner? I would think these would not work correctly.

Mine does a low slow pulse, however, my FH is in a pretty lit room so it doesnt bug. If I played in a dark room I would get the gi ocd or turn that feature off

1 week later
#1320 5 years ago
Quoted from Elicash:

Hi guys, this is a questions for the Funhouse Restorers out there -
I notice almost all FH's have damage to the blue paint on the inside of the cabinet where the pf is raised and lowered for service. I assume this is from that one-way ball gate near the shooter lane as it hangs over the side of the pf and mounts to the bottom.
I am finishing my resto and I have painted the inside of the cabinet. I bought some felt with adhesive that I will put along the side rails of my new pf, but -
Did anyone still have a problem with the sides of the pf damaging their freshly painted cabinet? I just want to be hyper careful and learn from others.
Thanks!

Mine had the same. I just paid careful attention when remounting that gate (i bent it a little so there was nothing to rub against the side).

1 week later
#1326 5 years ago
Quoted from Elicash:

Thanks Zaza. I always love your graphics.
Another question for the thread - Anyone put mylar down on new pf's where the trapdoor ramp flap drops closed? It seems that the lttle metal flange piece that attaches inside my trapdoor sits a little low, so when the door closes it slaps down on the pristine clearcoat. Wondering if I should address with mylar.

On mine i just adjusted that little bracket that trap door comes down on (so on mine, I dont really see it damaging the PF). But no certainly no harm in putting some mylar there. I used low tac mylar basically anywhere the ball drops + rings around the pops. Might be overkill but since it's low tac it comes up easily to replace or remove.

#1329 5 years ago
Quoted from Elicash:

Can you direct me to the low tack stuff you buy.
Thanks,

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00134DIII

(same stuff I got from Kruzman originally, but one sheet got wet in my garage when I left it out so I tracked it back to this brand via the logo/markings on the back of the sheet)

Some pieces I cut by hand, others I used my wife's cutting plotter (pop rings)

Worked like a charm for me. YMMV

2 weeks later
#1352 5 years ago
Quoted from Elicash:

Guys - I am going to order the LED OCD board. Sounds like many have used this and it is highly recommended.
My question - does this game benefit from the GI OCD? Is it worth buying both? I know some later WPC games really incorporate dimming effects in the GI (Like Whitewater). But I am not sure on Funhouse.
Would love a video link if anyone has one handy for FH and how this board really works.

100% yes on the LED OCD board. I bought it but first left it off once I finished my restore, then I popped it in. the difference is night and day. You just install the board in the backbox (it sits between a couple of harnesses and your driver board). You then download some simple software to your laptop/PC, plug the board in and tell it which game it is driving (you can then customize the brightness of each lamp, etc etc if desired. I tweaked a few settings, but not much)

Quoted from Zablon:

Just my opinion but I don't think LED's look good on this game. Granted the one I saw in person had those bright white ones. Maybe the comet sunlight ones would look better. Everyone is obsessed currently with replacing all bulbs with LEDS but normal home use most people aren't leaving the machine on for days at a time so the long term issues you would see on a routed table with normal incandescents (#47's and #555) really isn't an issue at all. Some machines should simply not have LED's.

I respect your opinion, but in my case, I specifically went for the bright natural white (not warm). To me it brings out the bright blue colors of the game and PF. Before my restore, the inserts felt dim and washed out. With the right color, bulb and brightness I was able to really make the inserts "pop". I typically was not too in to LED's in the past (they felt too strobey and the wrong type/choice seemed to look unappealing) but the LED OCD (and experimenting with different bulbs/color-temp/brightness) fixed that for me. To each his/her own though.

#1359 5 years ago
Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

I am in the process of restoring my funhouse, and I believe I may be missing a hex spacer. In particular, one of the spacers that attached to the playfield rail on the right side of the playfield that the main ramp attaches to. Could some one measure the spacers and tell me how long they are? I also have not found the hex spacers with the bases available for sale anywhere. Does anyone have a source for them?

FWIW: Mine was missing one from the right side as well. I went back and looked at my tear down pics, it was the one that goes right by the diverter. Seemed fine without it (plus it had been working fine before) so I didn't think much of it. If you need pics let me know and I will dig some up.

3 weeks later
#1365 5 years ago
Quoted from Elicash:

Guys, any of the owners that have done playfield swaps with Mirco pf's run into any problems with aligning the right plunger and the plunge shot to start a ball?
I have the plunger damn near dead nuts centered but i might be a tad bit high of center as it hits the ball.
Maybe 2 out of 10 plunges i am getting the ball rattling around at entrance of ball launch ramp. Right near the flap. I cannot tell what is causing this.
Hope someone else has had this problem and they can enlighten me on solutions. Thanks,

You're hitting one of the posts on the side of that metal ramp I assume. If the plunger is dead center of the lane, I would look at how it matches up to the ball. On the left side for me, the metal housing that the ball rested against actually had the ball slightly off-center which was contributing to the issue on that side. So I had to bend it slightly to fix it.

So adjust the shooter rod so that your dead center both vertically and horizontally to the ball, and just make sure the ball itself is resting in the right spot. I also played around with a variety of spring tensions until I found the one I liked best.

3 weeks later
#1371 5 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I believe it is there is to level out the area from the trap door so that if the ball rolls back it doesn't get stuck on the door. That looks like it is missing a piece on the right side that has holes for the flap/hinge to connect to.
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8502

My repro one was missing that flange too. It was annoying. I ended up just putting some washers under the trap door hinge to level it up.

#1379 5 years ago
Quoted from Elicash:

I just bought and installed the LED OCD board. Anyone else not notice any difference whatsoever?
I don't mean to bag on the product, but maybe I just don't have a discerning eye for this thing. Product seems way overpriced. I guess I just expected to notice more changes after I had heard so much praise for it.

Wow really? for me I really noticed a change. Instead of the new lights feeling "strobe-y" the ramp up-down is smooth so they feel like incandescent only much brighter.

1 month later
#1452 5 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

Having a problem where the ball will exit the wire form to the right opening and landing on the sling plastic . I've tired to reposition where the wireform mounts but it hasn't helped. Anyone?
[quoted image]

Only thing I could think of: maybe the ball is hitting the metal flap on the left side and bouncing out the right? I would pull the glass and hold a ball there to see.

3 weeks later
#1475 5 years ago
Quoted from beefzap:

Nice , can you supply all the gory details? I need to restore mine and would appreciate a description of how to proceed

Just read through some of the funhouse restoration threads. It's not that bad.

basically, document/take pics of all the wiring

unplug everything from the boards, remove the backbox

remove the boards, remove the metal piece behind the boards

remove the decals (some sand off, other heat-and-peel (or scrape)) heat and peel worked great for me.

sand sand sand, bondo, more sanding, more bondo, more sanding.

primer it, paint it, decal it.

put everything back together )

1 month later
#1490 4 years ago

tough one. Mine works as you noted (coming out of the scoop it will dead bounce off the right over to the left and I can cradle it). However, a friend also has one (with the same Mirco repro PF) and I cannot do the same dead-bounce-right-to-left-cradle. It's gonna either be one of two things: 1. velocity, 2. angle. You'd have to really look at the other one to see how yours is different.

If you think its velocity, when you did the restore, did you change that coils sleeve? clean it? new spring?

if you think its angle, i assume just loosening the scoop and giving it a slight tweak might do the trick (even the smallest twist could make a diff)

#1491 4 years ago

This past weekend I decided to use some extra LED's (and sockets) from my restore and light up the scoops and trap door. I think it came out pretty nice. Just adds a little polish.

Blue LED for the scoop
Red LED for the trap door
Orange/Amber for the mirror scoop/shot

20190502_211649 (resized).jpg20190502_211649 (resized).jpg20190503_215149 (resized).jpg20190503_215149 (resized).jpg
#1493 4 years ago
Quoted from Elicash:

I like them and may copy you. I admit I copied you on your pop bumper lighting. But I had a significant problem with the lights shorting out on the metal rings.
I found a post somewhere where the person used hot glue on the bottom of the caps. I did this and it worked perfect. Initially I was worried you would be able to see glue. But once the cap was back in the game it is totally invisible.
Just a little experience that may help someone else.

no worries, copy away.

when i did the rings I started with hot glue but apparently not enough. one came loose (but did not short thankfully) and I had to re-do it. I'm glad I did though, love the LED rings for the pops.

#1498 4 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

Does anyone know where I can find the pop bumper funhouse decals? I have new covers, just need the decals to go on top.

I got mine from PDI, but looks like they are out of stock. If BAA doesnt have any, you could buy these (the caps with the decals included):

ebay.com link: Williams Funhouse Pinball Machine Bumper Cap Set With Decals Free Shipping New

GL

1 month later
#1559 4 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Bummer on Mirco. Maybe I'll add my voice to the few asking for a Hardtop or look for a decent original.

My experience was different. I did my swap last year with a new Mirco PF for my FH. I think there was one hole missing, a few dimples on the back side off. All and all, not a bad experience for my first swap. Cliffys are a must regardless, and just like any stern PF, if you have a spot that airballs, it will dimple top side. YMMV

if your going to route it, unless the PF is destroyed (or your looking to put top quality games on your route) I would clean up the PF as best you can, do touch ups where needed and spot clear (or mylar) over it.

#1560 4 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

Can you give more info on these boards? Vendors and prices? I would like to add them to my all LED FH. Thanks.

http://ledocd.com/

#1573 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

I'm a reasonable man. I understand it's entirely possible there couldve been a small handful of defective runs. It can and does happen. But they were still put out for sale knowing full well the defect/s are present. If the holes are drilled wrong these are junk and should be sold with stated potential defects with price severely reduced.
Recap:
Soft clear coat - excessive pooling
Holes drilled 1/8" off
Holes drilled crooked for side rails
All I can say is lay the new on top of old. If the holes are off get a refund.
YOU MUST USE CLIFFYS or similiar products or this WILL self destruct on holes.

No disrespect intended. I'm sorry to hear you had so much trouble with your swap. Had I gone through the same I would be pissed as well.

My only point is that not everyone has had the same experience as you.

My WOZ that i have had going on 4+ years has been flawless and that is a Mirco PF. My FH that I bought about a year ago (and swapped in last year) has held up fantastic.

My understanding of the POTC issue is not the PF clear, but the cheap posts with a sharp lip that were wrenched down too tight.

To each his/her own. Going to go play a game of FH now

20180911_141152 (resized).jpg20180911_141152 (resized).jpg
#1574 4 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

This board would not be needed since I have coin taker super bright non ghosting LEDs right?

Those LED's fix the ghosting part, but not the ramp up/down. The LED OCD basically simulates the fade in/out of an incandescent bulb. With the LED's as-is its either on or off. For me, in my FH the LED's strobed really bad and it bothered me. With the LED OCD board, adding it was night and day. In my TZ it really didnt bug me so I didnt put one there.

Really, its preference. If you are happy with your current LED's, I would just leave it alone.

3 weeks later
#1623 4 years ago

I'd potentially be interested as well

3 weeks later
#1689 4 years ago
Quoted from ShaneyMac:

OK, but Frenzy will be lit at least once with the first opening of the Steps gate (regardless of STEPs target progress), then if collected, it needs to be relit?

correct

3 months later
#1747 4 years ago
Quoted from bbriese:

Anybody have a spare trap door assembly? My current full resto project is begging for a new one, and this item is proving difficult to find.[quoted image][quoted image]

I would message pinbits, even though their website says sold out they might be able to dig one up for you. Worth a shot.

2 months later
#1798 4 years ago

I put a mirco in when I did my restore. The PF length was correct on mine, I did have some issues with some of the holes being a little off but nothing major.

However, you guys bringing up plunging up to the steps ramps was not working well reminded me that I was having the same issue.

On my PF, it looks like the holes for the lane guide we're a little off, making it a bit narrow on the other side. So I could see the ball was often bashing in to the guide. I tried adjusting the plunger left and right a smidge and it helped a little, but it would still brick 50% of the time.

I decided to pull the lane guide and file it down a bit. Here is the before and after.

It is working perfect now, super stoked. Not saying this would fix anyone else' issue, but it worked for me.

rudy_steps_launch (resized).jpgrudy_steps_launch (resized).jpg
2 months later
#1869 4 years ago
Quoted from Bravebluerx:

Hi All, I'm restoring a FH with a bunch of missing parts, and trying to track down:
The apron bar (pictured)
The ramp diverter arm/flag (#A-14163)
and some new ramp flaps.
Anyone have these spare parts for sale can't seem to find them in stock anywhere.
Thank you!
[quoted image][quoted image]

Send pinbits a message in Fremont about the flaps. Their site probably says out of stock but it is not often updated. They hooked me up when I needed flaps for mine and they look awesome.

2 weeks later
#1899 3 years ago

I used this under my ramps when i did my FH restore: https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=0500-9851

(i just cut it to size) I have no idea if it was really needed.

Also, if you are installing repro ramps, check the fitting (specially on the steps ramp) mine did not sit flush due to the extra thickness and I ended up routing out some extra room underneath before putting that pad down.

#1913 3 years ago

On mine I replaced the post with the hex one from cliffy, I did not install a second one.

20200424_191644 (resized).jpg20200424_191644 (resized).jpg20200424_191653 (resized).jpg20200424_191653 (resized).jpg
#1916 3 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

Could
You use the initial hole ?

Correct, I was able to use the initial hole in the PF. I had to go back and look at my pics, lol, its been a while.

So just behind the "E" target is the unused hole (mine had nothing there when i tore it down), thats where the cliffy hex post goes. That is what will screw into the right side hole on the ramp (through the front hole on the cliffy).

For the back hole, my repro ramp already had a hole there (with a zip tie through routing the entrance switch wires). If i recall, i had to open it up a little with my dremel to match the back hole on the cliffy. I opted to secure it with another zip tie (also holding the switch wires) instead of putting a screw through it. It has caused me now issues so far.

#1917 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

It looks like you have the white spool in that location.
What post or screw did you use?
Does it go under the cliffy?
And no longer thru the ramp?

Sorry, I took tons of pics tearing this thing down but so few putting it back together, heh. Its just a small hex post that comes with the cliffy. It goes under the ramp in the existing hole right behind the "E" target. The entrance switch bracket will screw threw the existing hole on the right side entrance (where it was secured with a nut before) and in to the hex post that your adding.

#1926 3 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

Good photos. So am I correct that hex post is drilled into the recessed area where the pad is?

Are you talking about the steps ramp cliffy now?

#1927 3 years ago
Quoted from fundy_pinhead1:

Hi Folks. We bought our FH in December and it's in great shape, but one occasional problem I'm trying to get help with. When you've reached 11:30 and the lock is lit, a hard shot up the alley will sometimes go right through and not register or lock the ball (also won't give you extra ball if that's lit). I've run switch tests on the 3 switches and they seem to be working properly (close when the ball goes over them) and the solenoid test for ball release also seems fine. Could it be that the spring is weak and needs replaced? Or should the lock mechanism (the disc with the half-moon cut out) be adjusted so that it closes off more of the lane?
Any advise would be appreciated.
Tom

Are you saying the ball gets through without stopping?

#1934 3 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

I was looking at the hole in the pad I circled. I guess there have been slight variations to how it’s done[quoted image]

As drummermike said, no post there. The existing hole behind the e target will do the trick.

But since I was thinking of the steps ramp cliffy. Here is mine installed. I did not add any posts (didnt feel it was needed)

20200425_171221 (resized).jpg20200425_171221 (resized).jpg
#1935 3 years ago
Quoted from fundy_pinhead1:

arcadenerd925 - That's correct, it doesn't stop. It's hard to tell if it's been slowed down at all but I think it is. I notice that if the ball goes up slowly it does get captured.

So that is the first problem to rectify. It needs to be adjusted so it stops the ball. Here is a pic on mine. What does yours look like?

20200425_180348 (resized).jpg20200425_180348 (resized).jpg
#1945 3 years ago

While certainly beat up, it should still be able to function. You could loosen the mounting screws on the under side and see if you can shift it up (down, if your looking at it from underneath) perhaps loosen the shaft and turn it clock wise a smidge to see if getting that top edge a little higher will stop balls from sailing by.

Might take some trail and error but I bet you can get that sucker working.

#1947 3 years ago
Quoted from zerbam:

does anyone know where to find a new ramp flap for the metal entrance ramp?

I got mine from pinbits, which always says out of stock. However, when I emailed them they ended up getting me a set. Might be worth a try.

#1951 3 years ago
Quoted from zerbam:

i used the contact info on their website and got response within a couple of hours

Quoted from Shredso:

My last few emails to Pinbits went unanswered, I thought they went out of business.

It's hit or miss sadly. But they are definitely still in business.

2 months later
#2110 3 years ago
Quoted from Lodi:

completist - Thank you! I may go with incandescent so I don’t lose the dimming effect.
Something else that would be helpful is a playfield post map. I took lots of pictures but I’m not sure my machine has posts in all the right spots. I’m sure I can figure it out but knowing what goes where would be helpful. I was surprised the manual does not have this. It lists just about everything else on the playfield.

Dont be so quick to go incandescent. Funhouse was my first resto too (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/funhouse-my-first-restoration-help-me-not-botch-this) The led's just totally brighten things up. If your a purist, go with warm white for the gi, otherwise, sunlight? Me personally I went natural white. Get the ocd board as others have said and it will look awesome.

#2122 3 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

I had to chuckle. Largely ... you're right. But on funhouse I found using pink bulbs under yellow inserts makes the yellow look more natural than a white bulb.
No shit, try it out.

For me on the inserts:

Yellow = Warm White, the rest I color match

But that's the great thing about pinball, set it up how you like it and it's all good.

#2129 3 years ago

The other LED benefit: Not having to replace burnt out regular bulbs in hard to reach annoying places.

(edit: more of a benefit in other games with upper PF's, etc, but still.. even in FH, I am more than happy to not have to change burnt out bulbs)

#2155 3 years ago
Quoted from Lodi:

Has anyone tried automotive protective film to protect the playfield? it seems logical to cover the whole playfield rather than using the mylar templates that only cover a portion. You could even apply a ceramic coating on top. It does tend to have a little give so maybe its too soft. Just curious.

For a home env, this is overkill. Mylar over the heavy wear areas (pops, drop from the steps ramp, drop from the main ramp into the lane, etc). You can get the mylar from marco/pbl but my personal pref is to use this stuff (as it comes up easy): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00134DIII

Also, don't forget the Cliffy's! http://www.passionforpinball.com/FH-Protectors.htm

2 weeks later
#2204 3 years ago
Quoted from LeMansFan:

Hey everyone! If all goes to plan, I will be doubling my pinball collection tomorrow and picking up a Funhouse! My other pin is a Sopranos, but Funhouse has always been my first love. I have a sneaking suspicion that I will be posting a lot of questions soon in this thread! I'm not very handy or known to fix things around the house, so buying a used, older machine has got me a bit nervous! But as the kids say nowadays, YOLO!

IMHO, most important thing will be to have the person your buying it from run through the Rudy tests (eye movement, eyelids, jaw, etc) to make sure all that works normally.

Look at the boards, if the batteries are still on the MPU, look closely to check for acid leakage/damage.

Play some games on it, make sure the trapdoor opens/closes, etc.

Good luck!

1 month later
#2261 3 years ago
Quoted from Davi:

Sold.
2 heads are available.

Just received mine today. Looks awesome! These are near impossible to find now a days, so if you need one or think you may need one down the road, buy with confidence.

3 weeks later
#2290 3 years ago
Quoted from djblouw:

If you've installed a Mirco pf in your game---how is it holding up?
I'm starting on a pf swap, and I'm struggling with how much mylar to put on it. The owner of the machine bought the full mylar protector for it, but I think this would diminish the look of a new pf. I'd add it to the pop bumper & kick-out areas, but not sure if it's needed everywhere?
And this will not be a home use game--it will see location play.

Did mine a few years back. A few annoying issues (had to add a couple of holes) but other than that, it is holding up fantastic. Still looks perfect IMHO. I added mylar to the pops, where it lands coming out of the scoop and where it drops coming out of the steps ramp. The mylar I used is not a permanent adhesive, it's the same stuff Kruzman sells, so it's easy to remove/replace in the future.

While I get that there are occasionally some hit or miss issues with Mirco, overall I would say they are great for the most part (and of course, it's not like you can get a brand new FH PF elsewhere)

Doing a full overlay is overkill for HUO IMHO.

Edit: Guess I should learn to read, haha. I see this game will see location play. That's a tough one. If the whole overlay is not a total PITA to remove down the road, I would consider it.

#2303 3 years ago
Quoted from LeMansFan:

Thanks for your advice. With a friend helping me, we checked out the underside of the play field over the weekend. Strangly and somehow the pin that goes into the solenoid that controls the diverter gate (hope that makes sense, again I'm not completely familiar with all of the terms for these things), along with the screws that hold the pin and the spring had gotten loose and fallen into the cabinet. Got that put back together and tightened everything.
When put back together the diverter defaults to the position where it's diverting towards the steps (seems backwards but it didn't seem there was another way with the position of the pin in the solenoid). When running the solenoid test the diverter is able to move in one direction but not in the other (it just makes a sound like it's trying to move in the other direction but doesn't do anything). This makes me think that the solenoid is good, but something else isn't working properly. Does that make sense? What else should I check, or what do you think might be wrong?
Thanks again.

Here is mine (from pics I took before my resto) what does yours look like?

20180311_105546 (resized).jpg20180311_105546 (resized).jpg
#2306 3 years ago
Quoted from HEAD_boss_HOG:

How does one ever buy a Funhouse? Asking as a Lawlor lover.... I cant seem to find one ever for sale...

There is a fixer-upper candidate for sale in Bakersfield in the marketplace. There are lots of Funhouses out there, if you keep tabs on the marketplace and your local Craigslist they will pop on from time to time. If you dont mind getting one shipped you'll never have a prob finding one.

2 weeks later
#2349 3 years ago
Quoted from fossmin:

No that doesn't seem to be my issue. The harder balls just push through the disk like a turn-style at an amusement park. Shouldn't there be some resistance?
Thanks

I would guess 1 of 2 things could be it:

1. Spring on the coil is too soft, seems like a long shot.

2. The disc is too low (too much gap towards the top/back guide). So less of the disc is blocking the balls path making it more likely that it could power/push through. I think this is the likely one.

Attaching pics from my tear down

FH1 (resized).jpgFH1 (resized).jpgFH2 (resized).jpgFH2 (resized).jpg
#2352 3 years ago

I would guess 1 of 2 things could be it:
1. Spring on the coil is too soft, seems like a long shot.
2. The disc is too low (too much gap towards the top/back guide). So less of the disc is blocking the balls path making it more likely that it could power/push through. I think this is the likely one.
Attaching pics from my tear down
[quoted image][quoted image]

Another thing i forgot to add. When i re-installed mine, I did have to adjust it further. I rotated the disc/shaft clockwise a little bit as I was actually having a similar issue to yours. That also helped in my case.

#2364 3 years ago

This is mine

20201115_122341 (resized).jpg20201115_122341 (resized).jpg
#2367 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballPat:

Appreciate the help! I just ordered a switch that looks like the two above, some wire and a wire jig. I like that design better anyway.
If you could post a pic of the wire gate for me, I would really appreciate it! Looking to replicate the design.
I'm also pulling the trigger on the playfield, ramps, plastics and other parts. West Coast is locking down again so I want to try to make sure I get the parts I need.
I really wish I could get my hands on some naphtha here...... I think everything else I need is obtainable.

Different angle for ya

20201115_150420 (resized).jpg20201115_150420 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#2398 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Just joined the club finally after years of being afraid of Rudy being in my basement. Here’s a very pretty example I found, and another after we forced Rudy to adhere to our Covid policy. Stay safe, Rudy.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Really dig the chrome coin door, thinking about adding that 2 mine.

#2414 3 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

As asked, is your pf level?
But, I think I spotted a potential issue. The ramp flap should have 2 rivets and 2 screws, you are missing the left screw which...I suppose could be causing the flap to tilt to the right and cause your issue. Just a possibility.

Agree, I bet its the missing left ramp screw causing the ramp to pitch to the right.

#2415 3 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

Exactly, I could have left it alone, but wanted to add a hint of 'finish' to it. The color of the straw matched the red in the playfield, and since it was a straw it was extremely thin and had NO stickiness or rubber or soft surface. It had a hard surface so it did not grab the ball at all.

Nice idea. I left mine bare but i suppose if I really wanted color there I would just use some heat shrink tube.

2 months later
#2541 3 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

These are very much still a work in progress. I designed eyes with a small bit of changes from the originals and made injection molds. I have a small run injection machine and made a few. The coloring isn’t how I liked, so I painted them white. I designed some templates for the blue and black paint and 3D printed those. This is the first attempt to use them, but obviously needs some tweaking. These have a splatter overspray because they didn’t sit tight against the eyes. Next version will hopefully be a little better.
Haven’t done any fit checks or torture testing yet but I’m going to pull my Funhouse off route soon and start doing those things soon.[quoted image]

Awesome work! keep us posted.

1 month later
#2671 2 years ago

Which fuse I am looking for if all my coils decided to stop working. Looking through the manual and using my google-fu but figured I would ask here as well.

Edit: I see it's F101 - F105, but since I am not getting power to anything high voltage (flippers and all the various coils, etc)

Guess I will head over to pin-wiki, lol. Feel free to shoot any tips my way, my first time digging in to this guy since I restored it.

#2672 2 years ago

Which fuse I am looking for if all my coils decided to stop working. Looking through the manual and using my google-fu but figured I would ask here as well.
Edit: I see it's F101 - F105, but since I am not getting power to anything high voltage (flippers and all the various coils, etc)
Guess I will head over to pin-wiki, lol. Feel free to shoot any tips my way, my first time digging in to this guy since I restored it.

Ok, looks like i need to check F112 and check to voltage at TP6. Of course I have none of my tools here at present and all my spare fuses are at my office. lol. I suppose I will stop here for the night.

#2681 2 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I’ll call you if I need any parts! Has anyone done the Mirco funhouse swap? How did it go?
I did a Mirco Gorgar and it was a literal nightmare. Holes were cut WAY off, etc. Not the dimples, but mechanism cutouts through the playfield were way off. It was tough.
Didn’t cpr do a run of funhouse a while back? Anyone have one laying around?

IF they did it would have been ages ago and long gone. The mirco's are fine IMHO, a few dimples off on mine and i think i had to drill one post hole, trying to remember. but all and all, not too bad and it has held up fantastic over the last few years so far. Lots of restore threads out there for Funhouse, you can read through them and see what your in for. If its not something you're up for, just enjoy it as-is.

#2727 2 years ago
Quoted from jgelman:

Not long ago, I posted some pictures of my Funhouse on this thread seeking feedback on what would be advised for upgrades. Feedback much appreciated and the machine is getting some attention. I recently saw a very nicely restored Funhouse on the market for around $8,500 that was said to have sold for $8,300. I would have paid $8,500 for it. Then it went back on the market for $14,000 and sold. Then it went back on the market for $14,000 apparently because there was some import-shipping issues related to that sale. When I saw it back on the market, I was thinking maybe it would be nice to sell my Funhouse, and pay a reasonable amount extra to get one already equipped with the Pinsound, nice chrome, attention to the interior, etc. However, if I were to pay $14,000 or the $13,000 it just sold for according to the seller's listing, it seems like the difference between what I could sell my machine for and what I would be paying would be far more than what it would cost for me to enhance my machine.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/archive/114140
Just very interesting to see a Funhouse sell for this much money. My highly restored supposedly highly collectable King of Diamonds is not selling for less than 1/3 of that price.

IMHO, You can get a nicely restored funhouse for far less than 14k, that one is certainly a nice build though.

#2729 2 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Market is just crazy right now. There seems to be a group of high end collectors that are willing to spend a lot of money to get the games they want. Not sure if that group is growing or nice games are getting harder to find. Maybe both. If you are a buyer, I would be careful not to get sucked into mindset that all games go for this much money. If you are a seller of a nice game, you might as well throw a high price on it to see what happens.

Yea I hear ya, but srsly.. at that price, buy a beater and send it to HEP! lol.

#2731 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Can you tell me where this "beater" is?
Ill take it now.

Hah! just depends on where you are. In the past 6 months I've seen a handful (maybe 3 or 4?) of sub $5k FH's come up for sale here in the Bay Area, CA. Keep in mind that is cheap for CA prices. But heck, if i was looking for one to fix up and keep.. even at $5k, you put maybe 2 grand or so (and a crap ton of hours) into it and you have a collector quality machine.

#2739 2 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

You will need to pony up a lot more than 2k for parts....
Im at 4k spent right now (not including base game) and Im still finding stuff as I go that I need to order.

Yeah i was guessing, my memory is rusty (did mine 2 or 3 years ago) it helps that mine already had new repro ramps in it. So for me it was mainly a new Mirco PF, decals, plastics and LED's

#2740 2 years ago

Yeah i was guessing, my memory is rusty (did mine 2 or 3 years ago) it helps that mine already had new repro ramps in it. So for me it was mainly a new Mirco PF, decals, plastics and LED's

Oh and Chrome, ok, yea.. make that around 3k for me. haha.

2 weeks later
#2801 2 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

It's an original, based on the date stamp on the front edge.

And no diamond plate text, so I would agree, looks like an original, but it looks like it's been clear coated. Looks pretty nice, I say enjoy that sucker as-is.

#2827 2 years ago
Quoted from pencilneck:

My Funhouse included a cabinet decal kit from Phoenix Arcade, silk screened. I'm looking a good paint color match of the blue background so I can do some painting on the cabinet.
Home Depot and Lowes were not able to match up the color sample as I've done in the past. The blue is too intense or vivid and I guess out of range for what they can mix.
Right now, my going option is Rust-Oleum 2X Gloss Deep Blue which seems to be somewhat close.
Any suggestions?

I ran into the same issue during my restore. I got the codes for lowes from another thread. Very happy with the match: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/funhouse-my-first-restoration-help-me-not-botch-this/page/4#post-4462321

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

13,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bethel Park, PA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 22.50
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Martin, CA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider arcadenerd925.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/funhouse-club?tu=arcadenerd925 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.