20240329_155815 (resized).jpg
DSCN7358 (resized).JPG
IMG_2472.gif
IMG_0823 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1603 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1604 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1605 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1598 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Zennmaster.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1122 5 years ago

Hi all -

(I hope this hasn't been discussed to death, I searched this thread and didn't find much)

I am going to be looking at a Funhouse shortly, and was hoping current owners might be able to chime in on what I should be looking at in order to avoid a nightmare.

Are there any game-specific issues that are instant grounds for rejection?

Anything that I should make sure has already been addressed?

Any fragile or weak parts that are uber-expensive or else downright unobtainable?

Thanks!

#1126 5 years ago
Quoted from arcadenerd925:

Mostly just the typical pin buying check list. Give the PF a good once over for damage, look at the condition of the boards (any hacks? etc), check for a credit dot, etc.
If it were me, I would be closely looking at the condition of rudy himself, run through the rudy test to make sure all his parts function (mouth opens, eyelids open normal, open wide, his eyes move left and right)
good luck

Perfect, thank you!

#1130 5 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Scoop wear, functioning trapdoor.
Good advice with Rudy, but with the exception of the head shells, everything else involved with fixing Rudy is available, and restoring his operation isn't as difficult as the reputation says.

Thanks for all the excellent advice. As it turns out, the game was pretty rough, not even considering the seller's bottom line, so I'm still on the hunt.

#1155 5 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

What is a fair price for an average condition Funhouse?

In my area, it seems like it'll cost you north of $4K to get one that still has all the printing on the inserts. $5K seems like it will get you a really nice one.

There sure are a lot of beat up examples out there.

Someone please prove me wrong and offer to sell me one with a nice playfield for $3900!

2 weeks later
#1176 5 years ago

Just curious: Was there ever a definitive answer about the Sausage Bonus on the sample ROMs? Seems the question has been asked a lot, but not really answered.

#1178 5 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

What's the question?

Do the Sample games' ROMs have the Sausage Bonus? Or is that strictly a feature of the production ROMs?

#1180 5 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I can't find a video of this. Does he say anything specific or anything specific on the display? I've never run into this bonus that I'm aware of. I believe mine has the sample rom as mine is a frankenfunhouse. I'll doublecheck and test it tonight, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

The Sausage Bonus is awarded after a number of Rudy hits (I think it starts at 6, and maxes out at 12). The number gets reset when the high scores are reset, and then get incremented each time the bonus is awarded. Rudy says "You big sausage", and the player gets a million points.

#1184 5 years ago

Mine is a sample game, curious to try this with glass off (gotta tweak some lights any way) and will report back.

Cool, thanks! I've heard one or two people say they never got the Sausage Bonus on their samples, but I haven't been able to confirm if it was missing from the ROM, or if they had some other issue.

I just joined the club with a Sample game, but it's going to be a few days before I can get it set up, and while I think the Samples have some really nice features and historical/collector coolness, I have to admit, I'd miss the "You big... SAUSAGE!" callout.

#1195 5 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Is this different than the "Million" reward where he says "Million" after hitting him so many times (3x?)? I know for certain I've never hear him say "you big sausage".
Did a bit of digging as it's been many years since I've looked into it. Mine is P-6 / PA-1 The game says Rev P-6 and Sy. .90 - 11-5-90. Mine is unique in many ways as it is the first off the line non sample/non proto. I think they took leftover spare parts to make this one as I have a mix of old and new. Sys-11 soundboard, widerails, L.S. Topcoat instead of diamond plating (similar) and a few other things I probably haven't found. It is also signed by Pat Lawlor under the cabinet (that was quite the surprise to find!).

Here's a video of the Sausage Bonus, although the callout appears to get interrupted. It's also followed by a bunch of what sounds like machine gun fire. It's one of those kooky things that I'll be disappointed not to have. It sounds like it's similar to the bonus you're describing, but with a different callout.

So far, it seems nobody with a Sample ROM has seen this feature, although the sound samples appear to be there. I'm now curious to see what kind of ROM hack might be possible. I realize, though, how small the potential audience is, so I doubt there is much value beyond the fun factor of actually doing it.

Your machine definitely sounds like it's something special!

#1196 5 years ago

I've been bending everyone's ear with all my talk about the Sausage Bonus, I figured it's time to share some pics. I picked this guy up last weekend. There is some work going on in my basement at the moment, so Rudy will be living in my van for the next few days until the coast is clear and I bring him inside.

Sample game Number 90, if I read the label correctly.

2018-09-09 17.43.25 (resized).jpg2018-09-09 17.43.25 (resized).jpg

2018-09-09 16.34.50 (resized).jpg2018-09-09 16.34.50 (resized).jpg2018-09-09 16.34.58 (resized).jpg2018-09-09 16.34.58 (resized).jpg2018-09-09 17.42.08 (resized).jpg2018-09-09 17.42.08 (resized).jpg
#1201 5 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

What version do you have? I just tried it on mine and did it about 50 times and he never does it.
I get:
Ow
This is really starting to annoy me
That was no accident
Big Deal
What did I ever do to you
Stop it!
The first 5 are kind of random starting with Ow!, and then finally Stop it! seems to be at the same point the You Big Sausage is each time.
I have the batteries out of mine - getting ready to mod for nvram. I'll have to see if there is maybe some setting in the audits that maybe controls this.
Also...I never realized that was an opto. I thought it worked like a target switch on the lip

A bit of an educated guess: The way I understand it, the threshold for the Sausage Bonus starts at 9 hits, then increments each time it is awarded. This is reset when the high scores are reset. In other words: after a fresh reset, the first player to hit it gets it at 9, the next player at 10, etc. If your batteries are out, it may be the case that the game can't read or update the value, so it skips it. I dunno, like I said, educated guess.

Congrats on the NVRAM mod, by the way, that's a worthy upgrade!

#1202 5 years ago

Finally got around to seeing if i could get the Sausage bonus on my sample game, apparently it is in there!

Cool!

#1210 5 years ago

while i was in tweaking some adjustments, if this helps:

Interesting: You appear to be running a production game ROM. I'm pretty sure P-6 was the last proto/sample version. You said earlier that most of your Sample stuff was gone, do you still have the System 11 sound board, or is that now WPC? I've been wondering if the Game ROMs were interchangeable. I know the sound ROMs aren't.

#1214 5 years ago

I believe so, this is what I got:
[quoted image]
edit: i know i know, i have the "move your battery off the board" kit, gonna install it when i do the LED OCD

Yup, you've got the System 11 sound board (A-13971-5003) and the Sound Interface Board (A-13502).

And you're running Game ROM version L-2, which is not a prototype/sample ROM. That's great news, and makes sense. It seems likely that you may be able to run more current game ROMs as long as you stick with the proto sound ROMs. I don't suggest you do that, as it seems likely that at some point the game ROM will try to do something the sound ROM can't do. It seems less likely, though, that a new game ROM would damage anything.

Once the plumbers are done, and I can get my game into the basement, I'll try some experimenting, unless a brave soul wants to beat me to it.

By the way, that is one nice looking clean machine under the hood!

#1216 5 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Anyone have any sling plastics for sale? I just need one. Ill double check but think I need the right one.

I doubt you'll do much better than this:

http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GS-FH31-1-50003-2-SP

I needed both, and found a set here:

https://littleshopofgames.com/product/fun-house-sling-shot-plastics/

Hopefully they're out of the path of the hurricane.

It seems the current supply of Funhouse plastics is drying up quickly.

1 week later
#1217 5 years ago

A quick update: for those who were curious, it appears that it is completely possible to play updated GAME ROMs in a Sample game. Mine is currently running version L-4, and seems to be able to handle all the features.

However, the SOUND ROMs appear to require the genuine WPC Audio board, so the sample games with the System 11 boards will have to live with the Proto ROMs for sound. The official word is that they may cause damage, but I didn't test it out. The rest of the news is that I haven't been able to find anything missing between the proto sound ROMs and the L-2 production ROMs (at least as far as I could glean from Pinball Arcade).

Good news for me, as I seem to really be obsessed with the Sausage Bonus.

#1223 5 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I think what it means is that the sample sound roms have the sound clip, but the sample game roms do not have the trigger for the bonus/sound clip. He's saying you can actually upgrade the game rom without issue which should get you the sausage bonus, but you cannot upgrade the sound rom (which in this case shouldn't matter for this specific item).
correct me if I'm not stating this correctly.

You are stating it exactly correctly.

The original sample game ROMs don't have the logic for the Sausage Bonus included. It is possible to swap in a production game ROM, at least through version L-4 (I'll check and see if L-5 works), and get the Sausage Bonus and whatever other features may have been added. It's hard to peel apart the description of the various versions of the game ROM, as the documentation that I have been able to find is essentially a cumulative list of changes from the first version to the latest. It seems that version 9.xx added some Rudy movement and a light show, but for earlier iterations, it hard to tell what changes were made in each version.

Important note: this refers to the GAME ROM, not the SOUND ROMs. It seems that the production sound ROMs are still not compatible with the System 11 audio board that the sample games use. Definitely don't try to change the sound ROMs unless you REALLY know what you're doing (and if you REALLY know what you're doing, you probably know not to do it ).

#1250 5 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

No responses if anyone has Funhouse on location? I am thinking I will price it at $.50 straight up. I'll have a DBA in there also.

It's not my game, but there is one at the local barcade. They've got it at $.50. It's pretty beat-up looking, but sure plays nice, and the last time I was there it had a bit of a line waiting for it.

This would be my hesitation about putting a game like that on location: It seems very likely to see heavy wear. The paradox being that enough coin drop to make it worthwhile will put whole lot of miles on it in short order.

I'd love to be wrong about this, of course, but cherry Funhouses seem to be awfully rare.

#1263 5 years ago
Quoted from DonnieDarko:

What do people think the chance of Funhouse being the next repro game made by Chicago Gaming?
I had a Funhouse many years ago which was a hobby project which got sold and now I'm thinking of working towards another, however if Funhouse is going to be reproduced, it would probably be nice to wait for that.

I find it a bit doubtful. Over on the Planetary Pinball Forum, there has been an "informal" list of what the next few titles might be, and also that the current plan is to release at least 7 remakes.

Prior to MBr being confirmed, the list was BBB, MB, KP, TOM, or CC. You can cross KP off the list, since someone else is doing that, so we've got BBB, TOM, and CC, plus one more. I would think it would be a more rare or expensive game than Funhouse, but I have no actual information.

It would definitely be cool though...

#1264 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Besides from the heads I don't really see the relation. They don't play anything alike. I'm picturing more like BoP 2.0. New rules, DMD, etc, but same game

Some of the shots on Road Show are a bit similar, but that is overwhelmed by the weird (IMHO) rule set and the fact that it's a widebody. Also, the crazy soundtrack and oddball theme that I feel isn't anywhere as cool as FH.

1 week later
#1275 5 years ago

I made a mod...

I realize hardly anyone is going to look under the machine, but those who do will be well-rewarded.

30" doll pants off of Ebay, a pair of 30" puppet legs, a pair of size 8.5 toddler Oxfords, a couple of safety pins, a plastic storage container I had laying around the house, and a couple of zip-ties, and Rudy has legs.

2018-10-05 23.19.52 (resized).jpg2018-10-05 23.19.52 (resized).jpg2018-10-05 23.31.51 (resized).jpg2018-10-05 23.31.51 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#1302 5 years ago

For those who thought my Rudy Legs mod was creepy before:

The adhesive gave out, and this is what is under my game right now...

2018-10-13 23.18.25 (resized).jpg2018-10-13 23.18.25 (resized).jpg
#1306 5 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

What in gods name are you smoking???

I'm not smoking anything. The glue on the velcro gave out, and this is how the legs landed. Must be October.

4 months later
#1440 5 years ago
Quoted from zerbam:

someone must have these extra..........

If you're still looking, Action Pinball has the crank listed as "temporarily out of stock", which seems to be different than "discontinued", which is how they list the eyeballs, unfortunately.

I managed to find a crank at Pinball Heaven in the UK, but they are also now listing it as "Available for backorder", so I'm hoping mine was the last one, and not a mistake in inventory.

If I do end up with it, I will be measuring and making a 3D printable version, and I will most definitely make the file available somewhere where everyone can get to it.

Meanwhile, if anyone is sitting on a cache of Rudy Eyeballs, I'd be in for a set as well.

2 weeks later
#1468 5 years ago

For those who were looking for a replacement eyeball crank, I've started this project:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/3d-printable-eyeball-crank-project-for-funhouse-and-road-show#post-4894589

2019-03-15 21.17.20-cropped (resized).jpg2019-03-15 21.17.20-cropped (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#1484 5 years ago
Quoted from zerbam:

i am still in need of a set of Rudy's eyeballs and the white plastic linkage to move them right and left.........I know they are hard to find........but some Funhouse owner must have some stashed away

I'm working on a 3D printed replacement for the eyeball crank. If you don't mind helping out with some beta testing/product development, I'd be happy to send you one in exchange for some feedback. Of course, I'll also send you updated versions as they become available. Alternately, if you've got access to a 3d printer, I can point you to the files.

If you're interested, let me know via PM and we can discuss details.

2 months later
#1542 4 years ago
Quoted from dmcinnes:

Just joined the club![quoted image]

Welcome aboard! Is that the HUO one that was advertised in town recently? If so, that was a GREAT deal!

If not, that's still a great looking game.

#1549 4 years ago
Quoted from dmcinnes:

It was! Though it turns out it wasn’t HUO but they did have it in their house since ‘96. I’m not complaining, it’s in good shape!

Great find, congrats!

1 week later
#1578 4 years ago

If anyone is still looking for Rudy eyeballs, I've just started a thread on the Planetary Pinball "Parts (and art) Wish List" forum asking about eyeballs and face plastics.

I suspect that if we let them know there is demand, they may be inclined to produce a few.

#1581 4 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Do they have the molds for them? Please post back if you see a response on if they will or will not make them.

At the very least, as I understand it, they are the owners of all the Bally/Williams IP, and would be the ones responsible for either making or authorizing the making of them. As for the actual molds, I have no idea, but if anyone does, it would be them. Meantime, I would think that if a bunch of people jumped on the thread, it would let them know that people are interested. I'm not sure if it's ok for me to link to the thread, but if you go to their website and look for it, I'm sure that's where we'll find out.

#1586 4 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

The "crank", part number 03-8428, that moves the eyes back and forth on mine has a broken hole. I'm also missing the U shaped metal that connects the eye to the crank on that side, "wire eye link" part number 12-6928. That might be lost in the wires in the bottom of the cab because it sure wasn't just sitting there when I looked. I can remake that though.
Am I alone in needing the crank and likely at least one new eye? There were 10k of these games made, and they are well loved.

I'm working on a 3D printed crank. So far it's in what I would call "late beta". The project files are freely available, or I could send you one if you're willing to report back with any issues or inaccuracies.

#1587 4 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Dumb question but wouldn't you just need someone with a working head to get it molded, scanned or whatever to get 3D printed?

The upper face plastics look to be vacuum formed, and they wouldn't be a good candidate for 3d printing.

#1591 4 years ago

That's impressive! I assume it's printed in ABS with acetone vapor smoothing? They look molded!

#1593 4 years ago
Quoted from Davi:

Thanks. That's PLA followed by post processing steps (filler, sanding, filler, sanding, flexible paint, clearcoat).

Wow! You're right, that IS a lot of work! A great effort, though, they look fantastic.

#1600 4 years ago
Quoted from dmcinnes:

Go home Rudy, you’re drunk[quoted image]

Oooh, not just drunk, that's a pretty gnarly barfight...

Looks like Marco's is out of stock on the eyelids.

#1602 4 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Seems like Rudy (and Red and Ted) parts are a little hard to come by.

Indeed!

#1604 4 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

I’ll see what I can do about that.

Well, you can sound off on on the thread I started on Planetary Pinball's forums. They have all the rights to the IP for all the B/W games, and represent the best chance we have to get the parts produced. You can also participate in the library I'm building on Thingiverse for all the plastic parts in 3d printable format. So far it's the eyeball crank.

Unless, of course, you've got an injection molding setup and the legal resources to defend against PP, in which case, by all means, forge ahead!

#1606 4 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

I have never seen Rudy’s head for sale. I got lucky and found NOS eyelids when mine broke in the same way a while back. I still need the back of Rudy’s head since mine is warped badly. Such a prominent part of the game and you can’t find replacements just seems ridiculous to me.

I agree. I think the best way forward is to let Planetary Pinball know there's a market. I started a thread in their parts request/wishlist forum, and so far only one person has jumped on.

I suspect if there more responses, they'd be more likely to consider repro-ing some parts.

1 week later
#1620 4 years ago
Quoted from Davi:

Guys, in case of at least 10 request, I will consider to create Rudy faces. Same quality as Roadshow heads.

Make it 9!

I'm definitely in.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 40.00
$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 22.50
Machine - For Sale
Norwalk, OH
$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bethel Park, PA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

13,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Zennmaster.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/funhouse-club?tu=Zennmaster and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.