20240331_104306 (resized).jpg
20240329_172816 (resized).jpg
20240329_155815 (resized).jpg
DSCN7358 (resized).JPG
IMG_2472.gif
IMG_0823 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1603 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1604 (resized).jpeg
There are 5,093 posts in this topic. You are on page 68 of 102.
#3351 2 years ago

You can reserve yours in the US on our website - shows out of stock (because we don't have them yet) but if you sign up you will be offered a kit as they come in ...

http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPM-KIT-RUDY-NIGHTMARE&Store_Code=PP

RUDY-NIGHTMARE-PRODUCT (resized).pngRUDY-NIGHTMARE-PRODUCT (resized).png
#3352 2 years ago

Wow! A great package for the FH owner, and although the steep price, it's a small investment for the true collector. $2000 and Funhouse really gets a whole new look and feel. I am quite curious about the 'totally new software' and with the FAST CPU board, it could be quite the software upgrade. The two video screens are also a welcome addition, with the small mirror one a great stretch. Pinsound adds some great sound I am sure.

#3353 2 years ago
Quoted from MarklarD:

Woo hoo! Me too!

Joining the club over here. We were starting to get bored with FH, this should wake it up quite a bit! Always said it needs a FH 2.0!

#3354 2 years ago

Im in!

Cant wait to install it.

I just finished a super high end restoration on my game.

@pinballgoddess's assessment of the original game => "Yawn"..., put rudy to sleep, rinse and repeat etc...

When she saw this upgrade she said its a no brainer, told me to immediately get it.

This adds so much to a great game and makes it even greater, and to a class above!

#3355 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Im in!
Cant wait to install it.
Pinballgoddess's assessment of the original game => "Yawn"..., put rudy to sleep, rinse and repeat etc...
When she saw this upgrade she said its a no brainer, told me to immediately get it.
This adds so much to a great game and makes it even greater, and to a class above!

Same here on this end. Was about ready to get the mylar off and replace the plastic ramps and put it up for sale. Good timing!

#3356 2 years ago

I never told the origin story of my own FunHouse here in the club thread.

I had a couple of pins clear back in the early 90s. My first was Black Knight. Restored (well, made presentable) by none other than Dangerous Dann Frank in Scottsdale, AZ. He told me he'd find me one, and he did, but I happened by his shop and saw it before he got started on it, and I was not sure I still wanted it when I saw how blown out it was! But he made it look good enough and work well, so it was easily worth the $850 he charged for the game and the work. I wasn't looking for perfect anyway. I was still a kid!

My second, not long after, was a $200 estate sale Gorgar. Saw it listed in the paper, I was second in line when the sale opened, walked through the door and straight to the game, put my hand on it, and said "I'll take it!" The sale manager asked if I was sure, since one flipper didn't work. I said, sure I'm sure. Got it home, soldered what turned out to be just a broken flipper coil wire, and now I had me a collection!

But that was it for a long, long while. I brought them with me to Wisconsin when I moved back home in 1991, still single. (A story in itself, with me and my budgie, Bob, in the largest rental truck Budget rented...)

It wasn't until 2008 that my eventual wife decided to get me my then-grail game, FunHouse, for Christmas. She won it on eBay, and got a friend who was visiting family in West Virginia to rent a trailer and haul it from Pennsylvania to Wisconsin. But he was going to get in late and had to work the next day, so he didn't have time to drive it all the way, so I agreed to meet up with him in Milwaukee. So there I was, waiting in an airport hotel parking lot at midnight in below zero weather.

And waiting. And waiting. Watched as someone pulled into the dark business next door and waited around by the front door for like 20 minutes. Perhaps they saw me sitting there in my car, but eventually they just got back in their car and left. To this day I wonder if they thought I was surveilling them. Maybe I'm lucky I didn't get capped! But I figured they would realize no cop ever drove a PT Cruiser (another "gift" from the missus). And why do it from a car when they could have rented a room? I was just bored silly, I guess.

Anyway, about 2am my wife's friend finally shows up, pulling a trailer. He had to drive through some nasty winter crap along the way, which explained the delay. So, in the freezing cold wind, we took the legs off (grr) and loaded it into the back of PT, as my daughter of 6 called it. It just barely fit, as I had been assured on RGP. I mean BARELY. At least the head had been folded and strapped down for the trip west.

After the 90 minute drive home, it took all my energy to drag it into the house yet that night, to avoid it getting an even worse deep freeze and to let it warm up so I could try it in the morning.

After way too little sleep, it was finally time to see what we had. Legs on, raise the head... OMG! It's a Diamond Plate! (A real one, not that abomination Mirco didn't sell until years later.) Awesome, no pf wear! Turns out it's a German re-import. Really old ROMs in it. Diverter non-functional. (Seller had claimed 100% operational. BS! The return spring was missing on the solenoid plunger! It's not like they can come off on their own! At least it was still floating around in the cabinet.)

I did get some small refund when I complained about that, but overall I was happy! Then I almost ruined the CPU changing the ROM jumpers when I got the newest ROMs. Yikes! Touchy little traces! A deft intentional solder bridge saved the day...

This game rekindled my love of pinball. I picked up a couple more pins at bargain prices over the next year, and five seemed like enough.

That is, until my wife died in a freeway wreck caused by a semi in February 2010. Without her pragmatic influence, I was up to 36 games within a few years. More than I seemed to be able to keep working. Now I'm down to a much more manageable 14, and several of those are EM projects, so keeping the playable half playing is a much less imposing task.

One thing is for sure, though, FunHouse is definitely bolted to the floor!

The custom display message: DEDICATED TO KAREN

#3357 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Im in!
Cant wait to install it.
Pinballgoddess's assessment of the original game => "Yawn"..., put rudy to sleep, rinse and repeat etc...

I think FH is a nostalgia pin, at least certainly is for me. I don't hold any delusions that it isn't shallow and repetitive. But it just has so much personality compared to many pins of the era, and after. I'm most likely in on this as it definitely could use a change of pace.

Kind of like Dan, Funhouse is what really got me into pinball - and collecting. I set out to get a Funhouse which at the time I thought would be out of my range. I ended up scoring one for a great price as my 3rd pin. After owning it for 25ish years it's a little long in the tooth compared to all the new flashy games. I still enjoy it, but it certainly doesn't get the play it used to.

#3358 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I think FH is a nostalgia pin, at least certainly is for me. I don't hold any delusions that it isn't shallow and repetitive. But it just has so much personality compared to many pins of the era, and after. I'm most likely in on this as it definitely could use a change of pace.
Kind of like Dan, Funhouse is what really got me into pinball - and collecting. I set out to get a Funhouse which at the time I thought would be out of my range. I ended up scoring one for a great price as my 3rd pin. After owning it for 25ish years it's a little long in the tooth compared to all the new flashy games. I still enjoy it, but it certainly doesn't get the play it used to.

Im in on a mirrored backglass when it comes out!

#3359 2 years ago

So that would be a question to everyone.

Those who are going to get 2.0 are you going to deck it out with all the art? I only plan to use the code/displays.

#3360 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

So that would be a question to everyone.
Those who are going to get 2.0 are you going to deck it out with all the art? I only plan to use the code/displays.

Paul showed me the video on my lunch break and my jaw was dropped open in amazement and haven't stopped thinking of it since (He says the same for him!). I'm all in for everything but the backglass.. it's.. ok.. fits the theme for the 2.0, but I love the original. We'll have to get a good look at it if we'll swap it out.
-Chrissi

#3361 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Those who are going to get 2.0 are you going to deck it out with all the art?

I'd put the new art in! I need a new translite anyway since my original is faded, so I'd be happy to have the new art even if it doesn't 100% match the original.

I was wondering if Rudy is the protagonist in the new code. Like if you're fighting clones of Rudy as Rudy, or if your'e fighting against Rudy. He was (kind of) the villain in the original code so will be interested to see how he's portrayed here. (Poor Rudy, no sleep either way)

#3362 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:So that would be a question to everyone.

No! Not at all. I already have my FH set up how I want it to look.

#3363 2 years ago
Quoted from canea:

I'd put the new art in! I need a new translite anyway since my original is faded, so I'd be happy to have the new art even if it doesn't 100% match the original.
I was wondering if Rudy is the protagonist in the new code. Like if you're fighting clones of Rudy as Rudy, or if your'e fighting against Rudy. He was (kind of) the villain in the original code so will be interested to see how he's portrayed here. (Poor Rudy, no sleep either way)

Since he's still on the pf, I would hope he's still the antagonist. The one who creates the clones, etc. I do wish they could have got the original voice though. Or Howey Mandel to impersonate

#3364 2 years ago

Interested in finding out more about this new code… while the video is cool it only gives us a little. Looking forward to it!

#3365 2 years ago

I'm in, but I doubt I will use the backglass, and I have rollercoaster mirror blades I love already, so I doubt I'd replace those with new blades. I also have flipper fidelity speakers already, so I'm buying lots of stuff I don't even want.

#3366 2 years ago

I’m in the same position

Quoted from yzfguy:

I'm in, but I doubt I will use the backglass, and I have rollercoaster mirror blades I love already, so I doubt I'd replace those with new blades. I also have flipper fidelity speakers already, so I'm buying lots of stuff I don't even want.

#3367 2 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Those mirror blades are awesome! You'd be crazy to swap them out.

#3368 2 years ago

Updated: it will offer ORIGINAL and UPDATED code base on the machine, selectable somehow at boot-up.

#3369 2 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

Too bad they didn't build in both the ORIGINAL and UPDATED code base on the machine, selectable somehow at boot-up. I am sure they have plenty of room in the FAST CPU card flash memory, but they would have to ALSO reverse engineer the original v9.05 rules to do so. (I guess that would double the amount of programmer effort). But it would be cool to remain true to the original code with updated displays, or jump into revenge mode as the player wishes. (The recent Cactus canyon Remake essentially did this dual version at boot up built-in)
Just a thought....

It will do both the original and new version. From the notes, it will replace the CPU and sound boards. They are also supposedly working on LCD animations for the original code.

"This includes switching between the original game code and the Rudy's Nightmare (and potentially others!) "

#3370 2 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

Too bad they didn't build in both the ORIGINAL and UPDATED code base on the machine, selectable somehow at boot-up. I am sure they have plenty of room in the FAST CPU card flash memory, but they would have to ALSO reverse engineer the original v9.05 rules to do so. (I guess that would double the amount of programmer effort). But it would be cool to remain true to the original code with updated displays, or jump into revenge mode as the player wishes. (The recent Cactus canyon Remake essentially did this dual version at boot up built-in)
Just a thought....

Both versions of the code are included

#3371 2 years ago

The pinball timing gods have smiled upon me! I joined the club last week despite reservations on lack of depth. Funhouse was always the first pin I would look for when I first started going to shows about seven years ago. I finally decided that it was time to own one. It’s sad wreck of an example, but I’ll be giving it the full restoration treatment over time. My experience with restoring is that it’s almost better to start with a wreck: you don’t feel bad about replacing nearly everything to have it all come up to a high level.

I probably won’t use the nightmare translight. It’s kinda meh imo. I love the original. I’ll be planning my retro approach with everything else in the nightmare kit in mind, though. No need to work on the mpu or sound boards or deal with the funky display panel!

This is gonna make rebuilding my funky Funhouse even more fun!

#3372 2 years ago

I think they should get to work with aurich on new back glass translite asap.
Hope I didn't offend this artist, way better than what I could do.. hmm, I think were just so used to the original maybe. Same thing with Rudy's voice. I don't know.
Still happy this is happening, either way. Very appreciative of all of the hard work and efforts going into this, thank you.

#3373 2 years ago

I'm of 2 minds on the kit. Part of me thinks its really awesome, and another part feels its sacrilege.

#3374 2 years ago
Quoted from sb33334:

I'm of 2 minds on the kit. Part of me thinks its really awesome, and another part feels its sacrilege.

I kinda felt this way, but the idea that you can still play the original software, and just keep all the stock parts so it could be switched back if someone really wanted to... I think it will take some time to accept new voices on a game I've played for 30 years, but it just looks like it will be so cool to breathe a different life into the game. Good thing I bought a new pinscore display last year.... Ugh!

#3375 2 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I kinda felt this way, but the idea that you can still play the original software, and just keep all the stock parts so it could be switched back if someone really wanted to... I think it will take some time to accept new voices on a game I've played for 30 years, but it just looks like it will be so cool to breathe a different life into the game. Good thing I bought a new pinscore display last year.... Ugh!

I agree, I am kind of tempted to get this but not sure if I would ultimately like it.

#3376 2 years ago
Quoted from sb33334:

I agree, I am kind of tempted to get this but not sure if I would ultimately like it.

Come over and play it, I'm getting it the second I get the email

#3377 2 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Come over and play it, I'm getting it the second I get the email

That's an awesome offer! Thanks. I see we live pretty close to one another.

#3378 2 years ago
Quoted from sb33334:

That's an awesome offer! Thanks. I see we live pretty close to one another.

And he's not far from where I work (hint, hint).

#3379 2 years ago
Quoted from sb33334:

Same here. I love FH as is even though simple game. Lots of nostalgia and like the sys11 vibe. Although, fh 2.0 would be like having another game without taking up extra space. You could convert it to 2 0 for a few months and then back to 1.0. Just not sure if 2.0 would be that much fun. Love to see more videos.

#3380 2 years ago

Will these be limited, or produced to demand?

#3381 2 years ago

I think I read that they will be made in batches, so my assumption is that they will be produced as demand requires.

Quoted from cosmokramer:

#3382 2 years ago

My FH is too much of a "players" machine for me to get into the new upgrade. I should probably invest in a playfield swap first. But man, the kit sure does look nice!

#3383 2 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Quoting PPS from the other thread...

These kits are not 'limited' per se, they will be available and just a matter of what the demand is and how quickly they can be sourced and fulfilled ...

#3384 2 years ago

The voices and music and imagery on the new display remind me a little of the video games by Telltale Games (like the Back to the Future one you could get for Playstation). Just the cartoony way the characters are done and the animations and whatnot. That new background music is great and really gets the mood going... I think I've watched that 90 second clip like ten times already, lol.

#3385 2 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

And he's not far from where I work (hint, hint).

LOL, you're welcome also you can both come at the same time and we can meet each other and I can drink the beer you so generously brought!

#3386 2 years ago

Anybody else feeling like Rudy’s nightmare is screaming to include an integrated shaker?

#3387 2 years ago

Would be great if they offered a package without the translite. Definitely a downgrade to me. I am torn on the second display. Was really hoping for a DMD and rule upgrade and limit it to that with swappable code at boot up being gravy. Happy they put in the swappable code but to me they went to far with the other items making it more of a reboot vs an update/upgrade.

Thankful that they put the effort in and may get it anyway but I really wish it didn’t change the game so much.

#3388 2 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

LOL, you're welcome also you can both come at the same time and we can meet each other and I can drink the beer you so generously brought!

Awesome, thanks for not making me beg!

#3389 2 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

Anybody else feeling like Rudy’s nightmare is screaming to include an integrated shaker?

Support will be there for the pinsound shaker.

A lot of games already have it, including mine...

#3390 2 years ago

Working through some issues with my recent arrival. Does anyone know what this is supposed to be connected to? I don’t see an empty corresponding molex. It’s located near the upper right pop bumper. Red wire and a white/orange wire.

FD0C3904-B678-4CAA-9A2E-02368FEB31C2 (resized).jpegFD0C3904-B678-4CAA-9A2E-02368FEB31C2 (resized).jpeg
#3391 2 years ago

Also, optos are normally open, right?

#3392 2 years ago

Working through some issues with my recent arrival. Does anyone know what this is supposed to be connected to? I don’t see an empty corresponding molex. It’s located near the upper right pop bumper. Red wire and a white/orange wire.
[quoted image]

Do you have a light overtop the trap door? That looks like it could be the connection for that if it is missing on your game. It will thread up through the hole in the playfield underneath the area on the right where the ramp returns take the turn towards the left inlane.

It was missing on mine when I got it, but most of the parts were in a little baggie that came with some odds and ends thankfully. I had to get a bulb holder that would fit but at least the SS canopy was included.

IMG_4814 (resized).JPGIMG_4814 (resized).JPG
#3393 2 years ago
Quoted from AlexRogan84:

Do you have a light overtop the trap door? That looks like it could be the connection for that if it is missing on your game. It will thread up through the hole in the playfield underneath the area on the right where the ramp returns take the turn towards the left inlane.
It was missing on mine when I got it, but most of the parts were in a little baggie that came with some odds and ends thankfully. I had to get a bulb holder that would fit but at least the SS canopy was included.[quoted image]

Thanks - that must be it. That part is missing on mine.

#3394 2 years ago

Also, optos are normally open, right?

A little googling leads to further confusion: Scott Danesi says that optos are normally closed. Another Pinside thread says they’re normally open. I’m inclined to believe Scott. Could someone please verify in switch edges that the optos for Rudy’s jaw and the ramp are normally closed?

#3395 2 years ago

I don't know what way open or closed is off hand, but logic says it should be whatever makes it 'on' so that it sees the balls pass.

From other thread here and this makes sense in the way the game detects the ball. Closed = complete circuit / Open = broken circuit

two leds using special spectrums of light. One led emits light, the other led detects the light. Optos are normally closed, when something breaks the beam(like the ball passing between the LEDs) the circuit goes open and the computer detects that.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/define-optos-please

#3396 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I don't know what way open or closed is off hand, but logic says it should be whatever makes it 'on' so that it sees the balls pass.
From other thread here and this makes sense in the way the game detects the ball. Closed = complete circuit / Open = broken circuit
two leds using special spectrums of light. One led emits light, the other led detects the light. Optos are normally closed, when something breaks the beam(like the ball passing between the LEDs) the circuit goes open and the computer detects that.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/define-optos-please

Thank you

#3397 2 years ago

They are normally closed, meaning contact is there. Binary spoken its a 1, circuitry closed.

Other switches usually are normally open

#3398 2 years ago

That juiced up funhouse kit looks really neat.. I'd like to see some good gameplay videos or details of the rules... The package looks really solid, but the real meat behind will be how well they coded the new rules.

#3399 2 years ago

I want the funhouse kit but I need to wait and see gameplay and also how easy it is to switch to regular old funhouse. Like many it was the game that got me hooked. I love the new lcd scoreboard, it looks great, just hope we get a stream soon or maybe one will be at Pincinnatti?.

#3400 2 years ago

I’d bring mine to Pincinnati if they sent me my kit… chuckwurt Pedretti_Gaming CoinTaker

Quoted from luckycreature:

I want the funhouse kit but I need to wait and see gameplay and also how easy it is to switch to regular old funhouse. Like many it was the game that got me hooked. I love the new lcd scoreboard, it looks great, just hope we get a stream soon or maybe one will be at Pincinnatti?.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bethel Park, PA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 22.50
13,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Haledon, NJ
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 29.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 5,093 posts in this topic. You are on page 68 of 102.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/funhouse-club/page/68 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.