20240331_104306 (resized).jpg
20240329_172816 (resized).jpg
20240329_155815 (resized).jpg
DSCN7358 (resized).JPG
IMG_2472.gif
IMG_0823 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1603 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1604 (resized).jpeg
There are 5,074 posts in this topic. You are on page 65 of 102.
#3201 2 years ago
Quoted from Zee:

Oh that's interesting! Sort of a small quantity catalyzed clear.

It is a two-part clear in a can. There are two chambers and you puncture it on the bottom and they mix and are usable for 48 hours. Just about 1 can per coat for a playfield so it works well. I have a compressor and gun but without a properly vented paint-booth it feels kind of unsafe for me and my neighbors. This stuff is way more modest in output and feels a lot safer. It is also more convenient because of the small paint booth.

It is not cheap at about $20 per can and you can't make many adjustments (spray pattern, pressure, mix, etc) but it seems to be a pretty good finish overall. There is a whole thread about it over here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-spraymax-2k-auto-clear-in-a-can-club
0911211649 (resized).jpg0911211649 (resized).jpg

#3202 2 years ago
Quoted from Zee:

Oh that's interesting! Sort of a small quantity catalyzed clear.

Yup. Pretty good stuff!

#3203 2 years ago

Is this opto wiring correct for steps ramp?
Manual is vague at best with opto schematics....

20210913_184524 (resized).jpg20210913_184524 (resized).jpg
#3204 2 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Is this opto wiring correct for steps ramp?
Manual is vague at best with opto schematics....
[quoted image]

Lucky for you my playfield is all torn apart and all my parts are conveniently on my bench:

0913212131 (resized).jpg0913212131 (resized).jpg
#3205 2 years ago
Quoted from killerrobots:

Lucky for you my playfield is all torn apart and all my parts are conveniently on my bench:[quoted image]

Perfect, thank you

#3206 2 years ago

Still need to do the red but I am so happy with the brown I thought I would show the progression. Thanks to Jjsmooth for showing me the right colors.

Before

BeforeBefore

Stripping, very scary but was fine

Stripping, very scary but was fineStripping, very scary but was fine

Raw with adhesion promoter

Raw, with adhesion promoterRaw, with adhesion promoter

White primer

White PrimerWhite Primer

Skin Tone

Skin ToneSkin Tone

Rudy looking as creepy as ever

Rudy looking as creepy as everRudy looking as creepy as ever

Literally two hours of masking

Two hours of maskingTwo hours of masking

Brown

BrownBrown

Unmasking

UnmaskingUnmasking

#3207 2 years ago

Jjsmooth would be proud!

Looks really good so far.

#3208 2 years ago

Still need to do the red but I am so happy with the brown I thought I would show the progression. Thanks to Jjsmooth for showing me the right colors.

Looking good! What paints did you use?

#3209 2 years ago

Nice work I would be a little nervous as well to blast Rudy in the face with oven cleaner and see it start foaming...

#3210 2 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Nice work I would be a little nervous as well to blast Rudy in the face with oven cleaner and see it start foaming...
//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"717285f4598aa68f62dafa8ac568f7545425328a-1631804273-1800"};
//]]>

You're making me VERY unhappy!!

#3211 2 years ago
Quoted from pencilneck:

Looking good! What paints did you use?

Here is what I used so far:

0916210923a (resized).jpg0916210923a (resized).jpg

The paint was a bit of an adventure for me because I had never got custom aerosols like this. I went to a local auto-finishing supplier and they mixed it for me. You can see the color code on the can. Jjsmooth did not use either a plastic promoter or a primer but the people at the paint store strongly recommended the plastic adhesion promoter and said the paint was only meant to be sprayed on primer but they said it didn't have to be anything special so I used the Rust-oleum I had anyway.

The red is this here which I got online through Walmart (it is supposed to arrive today), I am a little concerned it will be too orange but I will test spray it today.

0a868e228833bc81cb206376dd182879d47ea37c (resized).jpg0a868e228833bc81cb206376dd182879d47ea37c (resized).jpg

By far the most difficult part was masking around the eyes. They have some pretty dramatic curves and I used this automotive fine line masking tape.

0916210934 (resized).jpg0916210934 (resized).jpg

The real trick is avoiding puckering on the inside edges of the curves. To avoid this you have to stretch and press the tape down so it is all in tension. I then used regular masking tape to tape to the green stuff. I pretty much doubled the tape everywhere but still got some very small areas of overspray so you really can't have enough tape.

#3212 2 years ago

can anyone confirm theres a bug in the software Rev. L-9:

i recently switched OFF all Extra-Balls, software still on factory otherwise

Now the normal behavior for the mirror extra ball would be that the value is already solid and unavailable with start of the game. Any of the other mirror lights is blinking for the initial mirror value.

However sometimes (1 out of 10 games) initially the extra ball light is blinking and a shot into the mirror collects "extra ball is lit", without actually lighting it. this leads to a disadvantage in competition play because of an empty reward.

On occurrence of initial extra ball mirror value, once hitting the bumpers, the value is changed, extra ball is lit solidly and no longer available as it should be.

The bug is present with both tournament mode settings ON or OFF

#3213 2 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

You're making me VERY unhappy!!

LOL! No kidding!

"I'm NOT happy with you now!"

#3214 2 years ago
Quoted from brado426:

LOL! No kidding!
"I'm NOT happy with you now!"

I haven't played a Funhouse is years as there isn't a local one but it is my wife's childhood favorite and I love games of this era. So I got this one but it was in pretty poor condition and I only played one game before stripping it down. Anyway I was was confused by yzfguy's comment, I was like, why is he unhappy with me. It just clicked that is what Rudy's says....

#3215 2 years ago

I haven't played a Funhouse is years as there isn't a local one but it is my wife's childhood favorite and I love games of this era. So I got this one but it was in pretty poor condition and I only played one game before stripping it down. Anyway I was was confused by yzfguy's comment, I was like, why is he unhappy with me. It just clicked that is what Rudy's says....

Lmao it's all about context!

#3216 2 years ago

Rudy's best comment is when he's in "silly mode"* and you miss the steps ramp shot: "So who's the dummy?"

* multi-player game, the player addressed as "Slick"

#3217 2 years ago

I am a mechanical engineering and I just got most the the head mechanisms rebuilt yesterday and it is a pretty impressive set of mechanisms to actuate all his parts. Someone before me had done a lot of hacky fixes to it and it was nice to get it back to proper working order. Pretty elegant design and I can't wait to see him in action.

#3218 2 years ago
Quoted from Zee:

Rudy's best comment is when he's in "silly mode"* and you miss the steps ramp shot: "So who's the dummy?"
* multi-player game, the player addressed as "Slick"

I've had a Funhouse for a lot of years and never heard that one! Now I will be missing the steps on purpose.

#3219 2 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I've had a Funhouse for a lot of years and never heard that one! Now I will be missing the steps on purpose.

Same here! How does he get into this silly mode? A few misses in a row??

#3220 2 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Yeah, me either.

#3221 2 years ago
Quoted from AlexRogan84:

Same here! How does he get into this silly mode? A few misses in a row??

He's always in silly mode if the player up is "Slick". Strange things happen at random for that player. Because it's random, you might not notice anything unusual in many plays. But then some off-the-wall comment from Rudy is heard for that player...it's great!

#3222 2 years ago
Quoted from Zee:

He's always in silly mode if the player up is "Slick". Strange things happen at random for that player. Because it's random, you might not notice anything unusual in many plays. But then some off-the-wall comment from Rudy is heard for that player...it's great!

I wonder if an updated rom could add more randomness to all players? I’m the only pinball person in my family so I never play Slick!

#3223 2 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I wonder if an updated rom could add more randomness to all players? I’m the only pinball person in my family so I never play Slick!

Start a 4 player game and play them all.

#3224 2 years ago

NAPA stores can do custom spray paint mixes. However, the paint code info above, they couldn't cross reference. Hair color is NAPA 49923 and a can cost me less than 13 bucks.
20210918_112550 (resized).jpg20210918_112550 (resized).jpg

We couldn't match up the skin tone at this time, the color matching scanner thing is dead and the have on order replacement parts but don't know when everything will show up.

#3225 2 years ago

I tried Sherwin-williams auto-painting and they couldn't find it either. I needed to find a place that did ppg paints.

I finally got the red/orange paint and I think it looks good.

0917211532 (resized).jpg0917211532 (resized).jpg0918211115a (resized).jpg0918211115a (resized).jpg
#3226 2 years ago

You guys are waaay off on those colors!

IMG_20200805_110413993 (resized).jpgIMG_20200805_110413993 (resized).jpg
#3227 2 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

[quoted image]

That Rudy type always scares the f#ck out of me....

#3228 2 years ago

Every time I see that one I think someone should retheme it completely to Gathering of the Juggalos.

#3229 2 years ago

It’s getting late and I’m not happy with you now … re-theme …MARRIED .

#3230 2 years ago
Quoted from HC2016:

It’s getting late and I’m not happy with you now … re-theme …MARRIED .

“You don’t know what’s down there”

#3231 2 years ago
Quoted from Sciddleybop1980:

You don’t know what’s down there”

That’s what she said. Lol

#3232 2 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

[quoted image]

May want to put a rubber on that post!

#3233 2 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

May want to put a rubber on that post!

Yeah, it has one now, that pic was the day I got the game

#3234 2 years ago

The balls were probably slightly scratched!

#3235 2 years ago
39470232-51C5-4C57-AFD9-A54E907533C1.gif39470232-51C5-4C57-AFD9-A54E907533C1.gif
#3236 2 years ago

Hey guys, I'm hoping someone could help me with a sound issue - namely there is no sound.

Based on feedback, I completely assumed that continuity / the cabinet speaker was the issue. I tested with 2 known working speakers and it did not restore the sound. Does the "sub" need to be specific Ohms or whatever to still produce any sound from the machine? I tested continuity at various points along the speaker wire chain and even from one connector on the sound board to the other connector on the sound board. It tested positive continuity all around.

I can't see how it's a bad chip since I have tried 2 entirely different sound boards.

In total, I have swapped the sound board, cpu board, and ribbon cable between them - and confirmed continuity along the speaker/sub wiring. I even swapped in a spare speaker panel assembly, just because. Nothing.

I'm at a complete loss.

Anyone have any other thoughts?

#3237 2 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Hey guys, I'm hoping someone could help me with a sound issue - namely there is no sound.
Based on feedback, I completely assumed that continuity / the cabinet speaker was the issue. I tested with 2 known working speakers and it did not restore the sound. Does the "sub" need to be specific Ohms or whatever to still produce any sound from the machine? I tested continuity at various points along the speaker wire chain and even from one connector on the sound board to the other connector on the sound board. It tested positive continuity all around.
I can't see how it's a bad chip since I have tried 2 entirely different sound boards.
In total, I have swapped the sound board, cpu board, and ribbon cable between them - and confirmed continuity along the speaker/sub wiring. I even swapped in a spare speaker panel assembly, just because. Nothing.
I'm at a complete loss.

Are the speakers grounded?

Are they plugged into the correct pins on tbe sound card?

Should be easy enough to clip a 4 ohm speaker or old headphone onto the sound card to check outputs.

Then go from there.

#3238 2 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

I'm at a complete loss.

Continuity is not the best way to track this down. There are JUST TWO pins on the A/V circuit board that matter for speakers on a WPC89. Look at the schematic and you'll see all of it is wired in series. So to start troubleshooting, connect ANY speaker you can get your hands on and connect to the two pins. If you get sound, then it's your speaker wiring. If you don't get sound, then it's your A/V board. That is step one.

#3239 2 years ago

When you get Jet Bumpers at Max , what does Rudy say .. Hold Back ?

#3240 2 years ago

I think it is "Power On".

#3241 2 years ago

I always thought it was "How odd!"

#3242 2 years ago
Quoted from jrh7:

I think it is "Power On".

This. Mine is pretty clearly saying "power on."

#3243 2 years ago

I always found it odd how when you get the superdogs thing from the mystery mirror at the same time the clock is getting to 11:30 or 11:45, it sounds like he is saying "I'm not slungry". Like a combination of sleepy and hungry lol.

#3244 2 years ago

The pitfalls of 8-bit sound samples...

#3245 2 years ago

ebay.com link: itm

someone on ebay selling rudy eyeballs made from factory tooling $24.95 ea

#3246 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Should be easy enough to clip a 4 ohm speaker or old headphone onto the sound card to check outputs.

Quoted from Markharris2000:

Continuity is not the best way to track this down. There are JUST TWO pins on the A/V circuit board that matter for speakers on a WPC89. Look at the schematic and you'll see all of it is wired in series. So to start troubleshooting, connect ANY speaker you can get your hands on and connect to the two pins. If you get sound, then it's your speaker wiring. If you don't get sound, then it's your A/V board. That is step one.

Thanks guys!

Based on these comments, I connected some old headphones to the 2 pins and did not get any sound. As I mentioned in my original question post, among the things I tried was swapping the sound board, cpu board, and associated ribbon cable from another game. None of this made a difference, which is why I was thinking it was in the wiring somewhere.

I assume that any set of old 2-wire headphones would work here?

Assuming that's the case, any suggestions on where to look next?

#3247 2 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Thanks guys!
Based on these comments, I connected some old headphones to the 2 pins and did not get any sound. As I mentioned in my original question post, among the things I tried was swapping the sound board, cpu board, and associated ribbon cable from another game. None of this made a difference, which is why I was thinking it was in the wiring somewhere.
I assume that any set of old 2-wire headphones would work here?
Assuming that's the case, any suggestions on where to look next?

Check the schematic carefully.

Attach a speaker (easiest) or even a DC voltmeter to the correct output pins of the sound card.

Check that all ribbon cables are correct and in the correct orientation, red to pin 1, and not plugged in, "off by one pin" or off by a whole line of pins.

With swapping boards etc ,if its hooked up right,
And if the roms are installed.

You will find the sound.

The cabinet speakers are a separate issue to the sound output from the sound board.

#3248 2 years ago
Quoted from zerbam:

In a world of no eyeballs, thats a good price.

#3249 2 years ago
Quoted from zerbam:

About a year ago, didn't PPS say they were going to run a bunch of new eyeballs from the Williams molds? Perhaps they did?

#3250 2 years ago

if they did i could not find them on their site yet

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Martin, CA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Haledon, NJ
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bethel Park, PA
8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 29.95
$ 22.50
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 5,074 posts in this topic. You are on page 65 of 102.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/funhouse-club/page/65 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.