Topic Stats

• 2,521 posts
  • 327 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by zerbam
  • Topic is favorited by 154 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 828 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

s-l1600 (resized).jpg
shooter decal (236x108) (resized).jpg
IMG_20210127_075312598 (resized).jpg
6861A159-2D1C-45D6-B0F3-37673D6D46E6 (resized).jpeg
6BE5CA0F-C1E3-447F-85FB-67E469128EF0 (resized).jpeg
ABC615E7-E21F-4549-910A-9204C050FBB7 (resized).jpeg
576C1FB7-15E3-44AC-AAB4-CF0EEB57E018 (resized).jpeg
MANDIBLE (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20201226-195018_Chrome (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20201226-194603_Chrome (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20201226-150551_Chrome (resized).jpg
PXL_20201220_212752406 (resized).jpg
2A94881C-66D7-44F6-85A9-5840EDB45F87 (resized).jpeg
F4A500F2-4D83-4C3D-97FC-61D7BAEE4BA1 (resized).jpeg
76A6E91F-CBBD-4829-A75C-E984B1D73717 (resized).jpeg

There are 2521 posts in this topic. You are on page 51 of 51.
#2501 19 days ago

I just updated my Funhouse from ROM rev L-5 to L-9. I also patched the L-9 rom to eliminate LED ghosting and that works great... I'm so pleased!!!

The only problem I'm noticing is that the kicker that puts the ball in play (so you can shoot the ball) is weak now. If I run the test mode on it, it is strong and works perfectly every time. Now, it barely kicks hard enough to push the ball into the shooting lane. Half the time, the ball falls back in and the kicker has to fire again to get the ball out. While the game still works fine, it seems like there is a problem somewhere. I lubed up the kicker shaft a bit, but it didn't make any difference. it seems like something in the code fires the solenoid at half power... then if that doesn't work, it fires at full power, because if the ball doesn't make it and it kicks again, it seems to kick harder.

Is there any way to disable this? Has anyone else experienced it with the L-9 ROM? Suggestions?

Thanks,

Brad

#2502 19 days ago
Quoted from brado426:

I just updated my Funhouse from ROM rev L-5 to L-9. I also patched the L-9 rom to eliminate LED ghosting and that works great... I'm so pleased!!!
The only problem I'm noticing is that the kicker that puts the ball in play (so you can shoot the ball) is weak now. If I run the test mode on it, it is strong and works perfectly every time. Now, it barely kicks hard enough to push the ball into the shooting lane. Half the time, the ball falls back in and the kicker has to fire again to get the ball out. While the game still works fine, it seems like there is a problem somewhere. I lubed up the kicker shaft a bit, but it didn't make any difference. it seems like something in the code fires the solenoid at half power... then if that doesn't work, it fires at full power, because if the ball doesn't make it and it kicks again, it seems to kick harder.
Is there any way to disable this? Has anyone else experienced it with the L-9 ROM? Suggestions?
Thanks,
Brad

Havent heard of the code affecting that. I used an earlier code L-3, the nonghosting L-9, and the home H-9 and the kicker strength was the same.
Check your solenoid sleeve and spring for issues.

#2503 19 days ago
Quoted from Bravebluerx:

Havent heard of the code affecting that. I used an earlier code L-3, the nonghosting L-9, and the home H-9 and the kicker strength was the same.
Check your solenoid sleeve and spring for issues.

Hmmm... this is really weird. Your comment made me think I had some alternate version of the ROM. I got this L-9 image from MAME. So I went out and got the version from here: https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=966 and did a checksum comparison. The roms are identical.

So I put the L-9 ROM in without the ghosting fix.... same exact behavior... about half the strength of that kicker. Then I put the L-5 rom back in and kicker was at full strength every time.

Did I mention that with the L-9 ROM installed, the solenoid test fires that kicker at full strength every time? In is only an issue during game. Strength does increase if it can't kick the ball out all the way and it always kicks it out the second time.

This has to be caused by software in L-9. Maybe there is something mechanically wrong with my kicker to make it harder than other machines, so half the strength only exhibits problems for me? Very curious about this one.

#2504 19 days ago
Quoted from brado426:

Thanks,
Brad

First off....clean that lube off and replace the coil sleeve. No lube on plungers....ever.

Second, make sure the parts arent worn or bent.

#2505 19 days ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

First off....clean that lube off and replace the coil sleeve. No lube on plungers....ever.
Second, make sure the parts arent worn or bent.

I cleaned up the shaft... it didn't make any difference anyway. The parts seem fine... not bent or worn. I did lubricate the hinge and it seems pretty reliable now. I'll keep watching it... Like I said, I think the L-9 roms decreased the power of that kicker and my kicker was only working properly because of the extra power it had before. It would be nice if the Solenoid test fired at the same velocity as it fires in-game.

#2506 19 days ago

Weird, before I put in L9 I always thought it kicked a new ball out TOO hard, the ball would sometimes even bounce back down into the trough, and was happy to see it kick out more gently with L9, and it's always been reliable since.

#2507 19 days ago

I finally updated my PA-1 to L-5 a few weeks ago and while the few additions are nice (I've noticed a few new sayings), I was really disappointed in the grand champion lightshow! What once was an awesome display is now nothing more than just the clock going in and out. I assume later versions restored this to it's former glory. So now I'm torn. I never had any issues with PA-1 really, but knew I was missing a few items. I can't go higher than L-5 due to the old style sound.

#2508 18 days ago
Quoted from zerbam:

looking for this shooter gauge decal for my funhouse restore......anyone have an extra laying around?
[quoted image]

bump............still looking

#2509 18 days ago
Quoted from zerbam:

bump............still looking
[quoted image]

Seems like an easy thing to print. Check with folks that have printed target decal mods, like mr_tantrum to see if he has ever done a print like this...

#2510 14 days ago

So if you have a Funhouse with the Yellow cabinet art, Yellow Cabinet protectors or Dark Blue?

#2511 14 days ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

So if you have a Funhouse with the Yellow cabinet art, Yellow Cabinet protectors or Dark Blue?

Are you covering existing damage? If so, I like red protectors on FH. If not, I wouldn't put them on at all or you may cause damage.

#2512 14 days ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Are you covering existing damage? If so, I like red protectors on FH. If not, I wouldn't put them on at all or you may cause damage.

How do they cause damage?

#2513 14 days ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

How do they cause damage?

They can dig in and when you are nudging cause damage to the artwork. That's why ya don't see them so much anymore, most use the stern metal ones that keep space between the game and the leg. I used to have pincab protectors on all my old williams games, but most of them were chewed up or peeling around the legs, so they hid the damage.

#2514 14 days ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

They can dig in and when you are nudging cause damage to the artwork. That's why ya don't see them so much anymore, most use the stern metal ones that keep space between the game and the leg. I used to have pincab protectors on all my old williams games, but most of them were chewed up or peeling around the legs, so they hid the damage.

Marco sells the Stern metal style sets for $17 or so...

#2515 14 days ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Oh damn, good to know

#2516 14 days ago

Is this the correct ones for Williams?

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/535-0599-00

1 week later
#2518 3 days ago

just listed 2 groups of used funhouse plastics in the marketplace

#2519 3 days ago

does anyone know where to purchase just this one plastic?

s-l1600 (resized).jpg
#2520 3 days ago
Quoted from zerbam:

does anyone know where to purchase just this one plastic?
[quoted image]

Action Pinball has it in stock.

#2521 3 days ago

MMGB thanks for the info

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 25.00
There are 2521 posts in this topic. You are on page 51 of 51.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside