20240331_104306 (resized).jpg
20240329_172816 (resized).jpg
20240329_155815 (resized).jpg
DSCN7358 (resized).JPG
IMG_2472.gif
IMG_0823 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1603 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1604 (resized).jpeg
There are 5,094 posts in this topic. You are on page 45 of 102.
#2201 3 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

Alot of the questions can be answered here. For some of the little hands-on stuff, you'll want to find and become friendly with some local Pinsiders to lend a hand if needed. You'll probably want to ask around to find a local 'pinball repair guy' that can come over for the bigger items at a fee. You'll find the most time consuming part will be finding replacement parts. MOST parts that wear out are available with enough looking from one of the dozen main sources, but a handful are not (like rudy's eyeballs or his face) and that is where the adventure begins.

Well... you live close by. New friend...

#2202 3 years ago
Quoted from LeMansFan:

Hey everyone! If all goes to plan, I will be doubling my pinball collection tomorrow and picking up a Funhouse! My other pin is a Sopranos, but Funhouse has always been my first love. I have a sneaking suspicion that I will be posting a lot of questions soon in this thread! I'm not very handy or known to fix things around the house, so buying a used, older machine has got me a bit nervous! But as the kids say nowadays, YOLO!

Depends on the couple of last owners. When I bought mine (first machine) wow was it clapped out in so many ways. Ask questions such as what have you done to it since you've owned it. Do you know if and what the previous owner did to it? Chances are it hasn't really been serviced properly and will need the flippers rebuilt, coil sleeves and coil stops replaced and new slingshot arm assemblies. All that will tally up to ~$300.
If the display is emitting a high pitch squeal or lines are flickering it's on it's way out and more bargaining for you.
Ramps are usually tatered. Those ARE NOT fun to replace and NOT cheap.
Another problem that is common with FH is the clocks inserts are raised from heat generated from the bulbs. That's super irritating as it does affect ball travel.
Make sure if the machine is on when you get there turn it off and then turn it back on. See if any errors are present. Oldest trick in the book to hide issues.

#2203 3 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

Depends on the couple of last owners. When I bought mine (first machine) wow was it clapped out in so many ways. Ask questions such as what have you done to it since you've owned it. Do you know if and what the previous owner did to it? Chances are it hasn't really been serviced properly and will need the flippers rebuilt, coil sleeves and coil stops replaced and new slingshot arm assemblies. All that will tally up to ~$300.
If the display is emitting a high pitch squeal or lines are flickering it's on it's way out and more bargaining for you.
Ramps are usually tatered. Those ARE NOT fun to replace and NOT cheap.
Another problem that is common with FH is the clocks inserts are raised from heat generated from the bulbs. That's super irritating as it does affect ball travel.
Make sure if the machine is on when you get there turn it off and then turn it back on. See if any errors are present. Oldest trick in the book to hide issues.

Most likely the sling arm assemblies will be fine. Even if not, three
flipper rebuilds and sling arm assemblies will not run anywhere near 300.

#2204 3 years ago
Quoted from LeMansFan:

Hey everyone! If all goes to plan, I will be doubling my pinball collection tomorrow and picking up a Funhouse! My other pin is a Sopranos, but Funhouse has always been my first love. I have a sneaking suspicion that I will be posting a lot of questions soon in this thread! I'm not very handy or known to fix things around the house, so buying a used, older machine has got me a bit nervous! But as the kids say nowadays, YOLO!

IMHO, most important thing will be to have the person your buying it from run through the Rudy tests (eye movement, eyelids, jaw, etc) to make sure all that works normally.

Look at the boards, if the batteries are still on the MPU, look closely to check for acid leakage/damage.

Play some games on it, make sure the trapdoor opens/closes, etc.

Good luck!

#2205 3 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Most likely the sling arm assemblies will be fine. Even if not, three
flipper rebuilds and sling arm assemblies will not run anywhere near 300.

Hopefully not, but if it's not been maintained and him being "new" he'll likely buy new flipper "assemblies" and likely all the plungers will be shot as well as the other items I mentioned. It doesn't take much to hit that $300 mark to freshen up a machine.

#2206 3 years ago
Quoted from arcadenerd925:

IMHO, most important thing will be to have the person your buying it from run through the Rudy tests (eye movement, eyelids, jaw, etc) to make sure all that works normally.
Look at the boards, if the batteries are still on the MPU, look closely to check for acid leakage/damage.
Play some games on it, make sure the trapdoor opens/closes, etc.
Good luck!

Agreed. You just want to make sure there are no large problems like missing parts, bad boards, or weird issues. I also agree with CLEllison about repair costs. I pretty much expect to spend $300+ on any used pin I buy replacing parts, rebuilding flippers, leds, etc. I always end up spending more but fun getting a pin all fixed up and playing perfect.

#2207 3 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

It doesn't take much to hit that $300 mark to freshen up a machine.

Or $1000...

#2208 3 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Agreed. You just want to make sure there are no large problems like missing parts, bad boards, or weird issues. I also agree with CLEllison about repair costs. I pretty much expect to spend $300+ on any used pin I buy replacing parts, rebuilding flippers, leds, etc. I always end up spending more but fun getting a pin all fixed up and playing perfect.

300 to do an entire machine....yes.

300 to do flippers, sling arm asemblies and coil sleeves (which is what he said. No mention of anything else) No.

#2209 3 years ago
Quoted from LeMansFan:

Well... you live close by. New friend...

BY all means, PM me if you need some guidance. I have spent more time inside Funhouse than any other machine I have owned. It was 'Fun' to keep it all running...

#2210 3 years ago
Quoted from pincity:

Thanks! I should have a chance to play around with this on my machine this weekend and I'll let you know.

Just to close the loop... I can hear Rudy’s lovely voice again, lol. Got everything working by confirming polarity on the speakers and then wiring up according to the "Pre-DCS Speaker Connections - Early Games" section on http://www.dziedzic.us/wpc_speaker_sound_info.html.

Knowing the head would have to come off to move the game again, I installed a removable connector where the connection is made between cabinet speaker wire and back box speaker wire.

On an unrelated note: I need a FH manual - do you guys prefer an original or reprint?

#2211 3 years ago
Quoted from pincity:

Just to close the loop... I can hear Rudy’s lovely voice again, lol. Got everything working by confirming polarity on the speakers and then wiring up according to the "Pre-DCS Speaker Connections - Early Games" section on http://www.dziedzic.us/wpc_speaker_sound_info.html.
Knowing the head would have to come off to move the game again, I installed a removable connector where the connection is made between cabinet speaker wire and back box speaker wire.
On an unrelated note: I need a FH manual - do you guys prefer an original or reprint?

To a collector, the printed original is always best. That said, you can easily get the manual PDF from a ton of places on the web , and have it printed for $35 or so at places like bestvaluecopy.com. (I was lucky, My machine had the original printed copy, but those are much harder to find). Hard to beleive, but Funhouse was made BEFORE electronic documents that we all take for granted were commonplace, so the manuals youi find will be physical optical scans of the printed manuals. Some of the PDF scanned versions are better than others. The one linked on IPBD is pretty good and even has the colored cover...
https://www.ipdb.org/files/966/Williams_1990_Funhouse_Operations_Manual_November_1990_includes_low_res_schematics.pdf

#2212 3 years ago

To a collector, the printed original is always best. That said, you can easily get the manual PDF from a ton of places on the web (example: bestvaluecopy.com), and have it printed for $35 or so. (My machine had the original printed copy, but those are much harder to find). Hard to beleive, but Funhouse was made BEFORE electronic documents that we all take for granted were commonplace, so the manuals youi find will be physical optical scans of the printed manuals. Some of the PDF scanned versions are better than others. The one linked on IPBD is pretty good and even has the colored cover...
https://www.ipdb.org/files/966/Williams_1990_Funhouse_Operations_Manual_November_1990_includes_low_res_schematics.pdf

Thanks Mark and agreed. Was leaning toward an original - I’ll keep my eyes open for one!

#2213 3 years ago

To a collector, the printed original is always best. That said, you can easily get the manual PDF from a ton of places on the web , and have it printed for $35 or so at places like bestvaluecopy.com. (I was lucky, My machine had the original printed copy, but those are much harder to find). Hard to beleive, but Funhouse was made BEFORE electronic documents that we all take for granted were commonplace, so the manuals youi find will be physical optical scans of the printed manuals. Some of the PDF scanned versions are better than others. The one linked on IPBD is pretty good and even has the colored cover...

I prefer spiral bound copies to the originals.

They lay flat and can be back bent.

I have both original and a copy.

I always use my copy, its easier to use.

#2214 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I prefer spiral bound copies to the originals.
They lay flat and can be back bent.
I have both original and a copy.
I always use my copy, its easier to use.

Agreed. I use my copy for day to day work. I keep the original in the envelope inside the machine. You can send the PDF to BESTvalue and for $35 they will spiral bound a color copy with a clear cover and thick back page.

#2215 3 years ago

Agreed. I use my copy for day to day work. I keep the original in the envelope inside the machine. You can send the PDF to BESTvalue and for $35 they will spiral bound a color copy with a clear cover and thick back page.

I print them at work and have Fedex/Kinkos/Office spiral bind with plastic covers $6.

Nothing beats stolen office supplies lol.

#2216 3 years ago

Hey, does anyone know exactly which capacitor is attached to the cabinet speaker across the incoming speaker lines?
I have one on mine but I can't read what's printed on it. I have a screech thru the speakers when I turn the game off and I am trying anything to get rid of it. I'm thinking this resistor may be bad and my electric testing skills are limited to checking continuity

#2217 3 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Hey, does anyone know exactly which resistor is attached to the cabinet speaker across the incoming speaker lines?
I have one on mine but I can't read what's printed on it. I have a screech thru the speakers when I turn the game off and I am trying anything to get rid of it. I'm thinking this resistor may be bad and my electric testing skills are limited to checking continuity

Its a 68mf capacitor across the cabinet woofer, and an inductor across the backbox tweeter... Check the schematic:
http://www.dziedzic.us/wpc_speaker_sound_info.html

spkr-wiring (resized).jpgspkr-wiring (resized).jpg
#2218 3 years ago

Nice! I know the PDF on IPDB has low-res schematics (high res ones are available as a separate download). Do the schematics come out clearer when printed? I know I had to pull down the high-res ones on my computer to check out a couple areas that weren't clear enough in the main PDF you linked out to.

#2219 3 years ago

Its a 68mf capacitor across the cabinet woofer, and an inductor across the backbox tweeter... Check the schematic:
http://www.dziedzic.us/wpc_speaker_sound_info.html[quoted image]

Thank you! Please excuse my ignorance, but I went to buy one online and it seems there are 68mf in 100v and 250v.

#2220 3 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Thank you! Please excuse my ignorance, but I went to buy one online and it seems there are 68mf in 100v and 250v.

68 uf 100v non-polarized capacitor. MUST BE NON-POLARIZED

Something like this:
ebay.com link: 68uF 100v Non Polarized Electrolytic Axial Lead Capacitor 2 Pieces NP BP

#2221 3 years ago

68 uf 100v non-polarized capacitor. MUST BE NON-POLARIZED
Something like this:
ebay.com link » 68uf 100v Non Polarized Electrolytic Axial Lead Capacitor 2 Pieces Np Bp

Thank you so much

#2222 3 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Hey, does anyone know exactly which resistor is attached to the cabinet speaker across the incoming speaker lines?

Report back if that fixes it. Mine does the same. Not a big deal but annoying. What's the purpose of the coil wired up to speakers? A friend suggested bypassing it but not sure if that's a good idea.

#2223 3 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Report back if that fixes it. Mine does the same. Not a big deal but annoying. What's the purpose of the coil wired up to speakers? A friend suggested bypassing it but not sure if that's a good idea.

The capacitor reduces the amount of high frequences emitted by the cabinet speaker which is desireable since it is a woofer. The inductor does the opposite, and reduces the amount of low frequences emitted by the tweeter, again desireable. The mid-range speaker is a general purpose speaker and emits everything thrown at it since it has no other components. This approach is a poor man's cross-over network.

You won't hurt anthing if you mess with those components, but I doubt it will resolve the screeching... That is usually caused by a power supply issue.

#2224 3 years ago

The capacitor reduces the amount of high frequences emitted by the cabinet speaker which is desireable since it is a woofer. The inductor does the opposite, and reduces the amount of low frequences emitted by the tweeter, again desireable. The mid-range speaker is a general purpose speaker and emits everything thrown at it since it has no other components. This approach is a poor man's cross-over network.
You won't hurt anthing if you mess with those components, but I doubt it will resolve the screeching... That is usually caused by a power supply issue.

Eew. Well, thanks for the info.

1 week later
#2225 3 years ago

Quick question, is the Pinball Electronics 6264 NVRAM the correct one for my Funhouse? Does it come with a socket?

https://nvram.weebly.com/

#2226 3 years ago
Quoted from Heaterguy:

Quick question, is the Pinball Electronics 6264 NVRAM the correct one for my Funhouse? Does it come with a socket?

1. You CAN replace the FH CPU board RAM with NVRAM and then remove the batteries completely. I have a new one of the replacement NVRAM chips sitting on my shelf. (I will have to look at the number on it tonight)
2. MOST CPU boards do NOT have the RAM chip in a socket. That means you need to remove the existing chip and put a socket in. Not for the faint of heart. This is why may folks just remote the batteries to solve much of the same issue.

Note: Putting an NVRAM chip in and then removing the batteries entirely will disable the internal clock in FH. Not sure if that matters to you, but it will no longer keep the current time/date if the battery is no longer installed. It will work fine, just the time clock will no longer be accurate.

#2227 3 years ago
Quoted from Heaterguy:

1. You CAN replace the FH CPU board RAM with NVRAM and then remove the batteries completely. I have a new one of the replacement NVRAM chips sitting on my shelf. (I will have to look at the number on it tonight)
2. MOST CPU boards do NOT have the RAM chip in a socket. That means you need to remove the existing chip and put a socket in. Not for the faint of heart. This is why may folks just remote the batteries to solve much of the same issue.
Note: Putting an NVRAM chip in and then removing the batteries entirely will disable the internal clock in FH. Not sure if that matters to you, but it will no longer keep the current time/date if the battery is no longer installed. It will work fine, just the time clock will no longer be accurate.

+1 - traces and pads are so small and easy to damage, so make sure you know what you're doing, otherwise I'd recommend sending it out to be installed.

Mine uses a 6264 but I think *technically* a WPC board could also support a 62256 depending on how it is jumpered. I would recommend double checking your current RAM chip just to be safe. I just ordered some 6264 NVRAM from barakandl also - mine came included with a leaf type socket.

#2228 3 years ago

I installed an NVRAM on all my machines awhile ago, I will tell you THIS board is not for feint of heart or inexperienced solderers because the traces are very small and close. Even with my decades of experience I had some trouble with this one. You'll need a magnifier and plenty of light and patience.

#2229 3 years ago

If you DO decide to install the NVRAM yourself, I strongly recommend you just cut out the old chip instead if trying to desolder and remove it intact.

This seems to be where most people run into damaging the thru holes and the whisker-thin traces.

Once cut out, it is much easier to desolder the remaining legs. But definitely recommend a vacuum desoldering gun for this step.

Or, as many have said, just send it out to a pro. These WPC CPU boards are irreplaceable.

#2230 3 years ago

I plan on removing the NVRAM & use lithium batteries
attached off the board so it keeps the current time/date.

I'll do the same for my other games some of which have midnight madness mode.

A big reason is for nostalgia.... why I prefer using coin mechs/no free play.

#2231 3 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

I plan on removing the NVRAM & use lithium batteries
attached off the board so it keeps the current time/date.
I'll do the same for my other games some of which have midnight madness mode.
A big reason is for nostalgia.... why I prefer using coin mechs/no free play.

Im a big fan of the franks mod boards.

Inexpensive, easy to install, sorta keeps the time and date lol.

Williams clocks are notoriously terrible!

#2232 3 years ago
Quoted from Elicash:

If you DO decide to install the NVRAM yourself, I strongly recommend you just cut out the old chip instead if trying to desolder and remove it intact.

Exactly. That goes for any IC's/components, Unless its a BR...
Thanks Guys. I am very comfortable soldering/desoldering on boards. have many successful repairs under my belt now.

#2233 3 years ago

Did yesterday some maintenance on my funhouse and cleaned it a bit. This time the apron.

Second I wanted to replace the gear on Rudys Jaw. While assembling a black replica it just broke in my hands while putting it on the axle. Luckily I had a white one left. I had the impression that the black ones material is much more weaker.

20200827_193542 (resized).jpg20200827_193542 (resized).jpg20200827_215641 (resized).jpg20200827_215641 (resized).jpg20200827_220553 (resized).jpg20200827_220553 (resized).jpg
#2234 3 years ago
Quoted from Elicash:

This seems to be where most people run into damaging the thru holes and the whisker-thin traces.
Once cut out, it is much easier to desolder the remaining legs. But definitely recommend a vacuum desoldering gun for this step.
Or, as many have said, just send it out to a pro. These WPC CPU boards are irreplaceable.

Get a hold of some Chip Quik or Fast Chip Removal Alloy. It'll change your desoldering life. It's a low melting point alloy that alloys with the existing solder. Once you've flowed it on the existing pads, it'll stay molten at around 70 degrees C or 160 degrees F. You can then run your soldering iron up and down all the legs on the chip, the alloy stays molten and the chip will fall out. Clean the pads up with your desoldering gun, or solder wick, and you're good to go.

#2235 3 years ago

I am writing to share the restoration work on the Rudy toy from the Funhouse game, performed by an artist here in Brazil.
All of Rudy's face painting was done and I'm changing the playfield for a new one too.

19EF02DD-430F-4A21-A133-BC1C392ABF5C (resized).jpeg19EF02DD-430F-4A21-A133-BC1C392ABF5C (resized).jpeg59C861C2-2C4B-4005-89D3-91E2AE36A0E3 (resized).jpeg59C861C2-2C4B-4005-89D3-91E2AE36A0E3 (resized).jpegA16DA5EC-2954-4797-8D94-619558423AB7 (resized).jpegA16DA5EC-2954-4797-8D94-619558423AB7 (resized).jpegE1FD8FC0-8A6D-4089-8433-205112C1F787 (resized).jpegE1FD8FC0-8A6D-4089-8433-205112C1F787 (resized).jpeg
#2236 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballmaniabh:

I am writing to share the restoration work on the Rudy toy from the Funhouse game, performed by an artist here in Brazil.
All of Rudy's face painting was done and I'm changing the playfield for a new one too.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Why does Rudy have a Reese cup on his head???

#2237 3 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

Why does Rudy have a Reese cup on his head???

I think he is showing a portion of the plastic piece that forms the BACK of Rudy's head. It's basically the brown covering that is not seen except some hair and the ears...

#2238 3 years ago

I think he is showing a portion of the plastic piece that forms the BACK of Rudy's head. It's basically the brown covering that is not seen except some hair and the ears...

Yes!!

#2239 3 years ago

I haven't had one of those fail on my before... if that what it looks like when it is starting to go?

1 (resized).jpg1 (resized).jpg

#2240 3 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

I haven't had one of those fail on my before... if that what it looks like when it is starting to go?
[quoted image]

Check the display ribbon cable.

Re-seat it. See if it helps

1 week later
#2241 3 years ago

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg
#2242 3 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I like the idea but not so much the execution of it. I think those specific graphics on a clear water slide decal over the original clear plastic would be really neat. Can you share the graphics to the group?

#2243 3 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

I like the idea but not so much the execution of it. I think those specific graphics on a clear water slide decal over the original clear plastic would be really neat. Can you share the graphics to the group?

I was thinking the exact same thing. I wouldn't want to lose sight of the ball under there.

#2244 3 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

I went back and forth with some ideas. Balloons, pop corn and if I'm understanding you correctly, your idea.
Pm me if interested wth what I've come up with.

#2245 3 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I was thinking the exact same thing. I wouldn't want to lose sight of the ball under there.

Scroll back a few pages to see what i came up with. I really like it.

#2246 3 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Scroll back a few pages to see what i came up with. I really like it.

Cool!

#2247 3 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

I went back and forth with some ideas. Balloons, pop corn and if I'm understanding you correctly, your idea.
Pm me if interested wth what I've come up with.

I shared the Thing Box decal I made for the Addams Family. If you save your graphics as a PDF it will retain the size and be available for anyone else who might be interested. We could literally just buy the water slide paper and print it out. To be clear just the balloons and the popped balloons graphics. I think it makes a very nice addition.

#2248 3 years ago

So what is the story on the Yellow vs The Red Cabinet art? Is the yellow just faded or 2 types of art were issued?

C4DF8C87-06FC-4572-89B2-5CA375591DF7 (resized).jpegC4DF8C87-06FC-4572-89B2-5CA375591DF7 (resized).jpeg
#2249 3 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

So what is the story on the Yellow vs The Red Cabinet art? Is the yellow just faded or 2 types of art were issued?
[quoted image]

I always assumed it was supposed to be two-color (like your picture on the right), to essentially match the backglass, which *IS* red and yellow combined. Seems like sun damage could easily make red turn to yellow when bleached by the sun...

(Also note Rudy's skin-tones are also gone in most sun-damaged cabinets.. I am sure he had skintone originally...)

#2250 3 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

[quoted image]

Uv fade.

DW is the same. Total loss of red.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Haledon, NJ
$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

13,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 29.95
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bethel Park, PA
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 22.50
There are 5,094 posts in this topic. You are on page 45 of 102.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/funhouse-club/page/45 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.