20240331_104306 (resized).jpg
20240329_172816 (resized).jpg
20240329_155815 (resized).jpg
DSCN7358 (resized).JPG
IMG_2472.gif
IMG_0823 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1603 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1604 (resized).jpeg
There are 5,074 posts in this topic. You are on page 44 of 102.
#2151 3 years ago

Springs: it can’t hurt as you don’t know what may be correct in there now. I generally don’t replace coil stops unless they’re worn out/broken or ugly. The exception is the flippers. Rebuild completely with new stops.

For the black micro switches, get a count and make sure you get new diodes if you don’t have them already. I usually get my microswitches bare from PL. they do sell the with the diodes installed too if you fancy. And yes they’re generally all the same however the part number has changed. DA3 then and now DB5. They’re slightly different specs from what I’ve read but are the replacement.

White switches, you will want to get the correct part number with the metal tab necessary. Others have taken them apart to transfer although I haven’t done that yet.

#2152 3 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

Springs: it can’t hurt as you don’t know what may be correct in there now. I generally don’t replace coil stops unless they’re worn out/broken or ugly. The exception is the flippers. Rebuild completely with new stops.
For the black micro switches, get a count and make sure you get new diodes if you don’t have them already. I usually get my microswitches bare from PL. they do sell the with the diodes installed too if you fancy. And yes they’re generally all the same however the part number has changed. DA3 then and now DB5. They’re slightly different specs from what I’ve read but are the replacement.
White switches, you will want to get the correct part number with the metal tab necessary. Others have taken them apart to transfer although I haven’t done that yet.

The DB5 has become the new standard. In my opinion its slightly more robust with a slightly stronger spring.

https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-sub-microswitch-5647-12693.html

https://www.pinballlife.com/microswitch-with-diode.html

Still, in hard to reach places and on ramps, i would like to see a lot more MRS swtches used.

The one on my Diner cup is amazing.

I hope there are a lot more applications developed.

#2153 3 years ago

Has anyone tried automotive protective film to protect the playfield? it seems logical to cover the whole playfield rather than using the mylar templates that only cover a portion. You could even apply a ceramic coating on top. It does tend to have a little give so maybe its too soft. Just curious.

#2154 3 years ago
Quoted from Lodi:

Has anyone tried automotive protective film to protect the playfield? it seems logical to cover the whole playfield rather than using the mylar templates that only cover a portion. You could even apply a ceramic coating on top. It does tend to have a little give so maybe its too soft. Just curious.

Full playfield mylar has been around for decades and was an option if you ordered from williams.

The new polycarbonate films look great but are softer than the clearcoat.

Modern clearcoat is much more durable and easier to repair.

All modern games are clearcoated.

The mylar over wear areas is important to keep the clearcoat from looking cloudy as dirt grinds into it.

You always apply mylar between the pop bumpers and wherever the ball drops from a ramp onto the playfield.

The rest of the playfiled can be well protected by waxing with pure carnauba every 500 plays or less and changing the balls out at the same time.

#2155 3 years ago
Quoted from Lodi:

For a home env, this is overkill. Mylar over the heavy wear areas (pops, drop from the steps ramp, drop from the main ramp into the lane, etc). You can get the mylar from marco/pbl but my personal pref is to use this stuff (as it comes up easy): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00134DIII

Also, don't forget the Cliffy's! http://www.passionforpinball.com/FH-Protectors.htm

#2157 3 years ago

If you have a tap plastics near you, they have mylar in a variety of thicknesses that you can buy by the foot. Same stuff the pinball suppliers sell, and much, much cheaper.

#2158 3 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

If you have a tap plastics near you, they have mylar in a variety of thicknesses that you can buy by the foot. Same stuff the pinball suppliers sell, and much, much cheaper.

Optically clear with 3m adhesive in 3 mil thickness works best.

Marco has it for a fair price in small quantities, but i agree you can get it cheaper.

Use rapid-tac application fluid for easy alignment and perfect results.

Firmly squeegee down with a felt brayer. Kill any troublesome bubbles with a brand new exacto knife #7 (regular) blade. Just a tiny prick will do.

Wait 24 hrs, burnish down with a hair dryer and a felt squeegee.

#2159 3 years ago

Hey folks speaking of ball drop areas and Mylar, any recommendations for fixing paint damage to these spots before adding Mylar?

#2160 3 years ago
Quoted from dmcinnes:

Hey folks speaking of ball drop areas and Mylar, any recommendations for fixing paint damage to these spots before adding Mylar?

Touch up paint, maybe make a decal.

#2161 3 years ago

It doesnt go to the back box speaker from
when i traced the line, it went into the wiring loom down into the cabinet.

Quoted from pincity:

Thanks, that's helpful. Do you know if the black wire connected to the right connector (J505 I think?) runs to the backbox speaker or does it run to the cabinet speaker?

#2162 3 years ago

There’s a new MOD out guys!!!

FEF49BEF-09D8-480B-BE00-9BD0289329FA (resized).jpegFEF49BEF-09D8-480B-BE00-9BD0289329FA (resized).jpeg
#2163 3 years ago
Quoted from rmerlo88:

There’s a new MOD out guys!!!
[quoted image]

and like most he's not wearing it right! Ohhh Ruudyy ba ba baaaaaa

#2164 3 years ago
Quoted from Bravebluerx:

It doesnt go to the back box speaker from
when i traced the line, it went into the wiring loom down into the cabinet.

Thanks! I should have a chance to play around with this on my machine this weekend and I'll let you know.

#2165 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I like this stuff:
ebay.com link

I like this because it has all of the detailed areas but it does not have the main body of the playfield like the one at Marco. Is this intended to be used in addition or does the main area not need to be protected?

#2166 3 years ago

Who has nice looking dark blue double-star posts? The ones listed on Marco's site are a funky bluish/purple color. Titan and others do not have dark blue, although they have good looking singles.

#2167 3 years ago
Quoted from Lodi:

Who has nice looking dark blue double-star posts? The ones listed on Marco's site are a funky bluish/purple color. Titan and others do not have dark blue, although they have good looking singles.

Here:
https://pu-parts.com/03-8247-double-star-post-1-1-16_5
https://pu-parts.com/03-8319-single-star-post-1-1-16_9

#2168 3 years ago
Quoted from Lodi:

I like this because it has all of the detailed areas but it does not have the main body of the playfield like the one at Marco. Is this intended to be used in addition or does the main area not need to be protected?

The main clock area does not need mylar.

Its best if you have a clearcoated playfield though.

Not all games were diamond plate coated.

#2169 3 years ago

The main clock area does not need mylar.
Its best if you have a clearcoated playfield though.
Not all games were diamond plate coated.

pinballinreno - I ordered the kit you recommended from ebay. My new playfiled is from Micro so it is clear coated.

What is recommended to protect the clear coat, just a good synthetic wax? I was thinking about applying an automotive ceramic coating (https://usa.gtechniq.com/products/auto/protect/exterior/paint/crystal-serum-light). Its not terribly slick but it provides a layer of protection and can be topcoated with wax if desired. Anyone have experience with it? I have applied it to all of my cars and its amazing stuff. I have read that you should wax the playfield before applying the mylar so it can be removed in the future. True? Thanks!

#2170 3 years ago

Essentially, a clear coated pinball playfield already has an automotive clearcoat. it is the same materials used. Adding more would be overkill, and adhesion to existing topcoat may be an issue.

Pinball manufacturers started clearcoating playfields in the early 1990's (where before they used a less durable lacquer).

If you keep your game clean, wax it occasionally, and play in home environment, you should be good.

I would put the money elsewhere, maybe in a new cabinet or artwork.

#2171 3 years ago
Quoted from Lodi:

pinballinreno - I ordered the kit you recommended from ebay. My new playfiled is from Micro so it is clear coated.
What is recommended to protect the clear coat, just a good synthetic wax? I was thinking about applying an automotive ceramic coating (https://usa.gtechniq.com/products/auto/protect/exterior/paint/crystal-serum-light). Its not terribly slick but it provides a layer of protection and can be topcoated with wax if desired. Anyone have experience with it? I have applied it to all of my cars and its amazing stuff. I have read that you should wax the playfield before applying the mylar so it can be removed in the future. True? Thanks!

Waxing before applying mylar lets you remove it easier if you replace it.

I don't do this though. The edges can roll up.

I clean it off with naptha and use rapid-tac application fluid for easy positioning and bubble removal.

Use a felt squeegee tool. The hard edge works well for bubbles, the soft edge for large areas including cabinet decals.

Let it dry for a day remove any bubbles and burnish the mylar down with a hair dryer.

Wax over the top.

I use blitz 100 grand or P21S silver, nothing else compares.

Pure carauba leaves a rock hard coating that is superior to synthetic, on par with ceramic.

You want to use a renewable surface to clean off ground in grime. Ceramic doesn't allow this.

Pure carnauba is perfect for pinball. Naptha cleans it off easily and its easy to re-coat.

Wax is applied in thin coats.
Imagine greasy fingerprints on glass.

One good coat is enough, you cant build coats. Each application removes the old wax.

#2172 3 years ago

I switched my translite for CPR's mirrored backglass. It is beautiful.

The seller had put Comet 1smd cool white bulbs throughout. I decided to switch the backbox insert to Comet's 2smd sunlight bulbs and included a mix of slow and fast blinkers in the 455 sockets. I think it looks waaaaaaay better.

Backglass lights off (sorry for the window reflection)
20200802_152120 (resized).jpg20200802_152120 (resized).jpg

Backglass with 1smd cool white
20200802_152209 (resized).jpg20200802_152209 (resized).jpg

Backglass with 2smd sunlight
20200802_153203 (resized).jpg20200802_153203 (resized).jpg

Video of backglass with blinkers:

#2173 3 years ago

Backglass looks sweet! C'mon... Someone sell me a nice funhouse so I can add endless mods!!

#2174 3 years ago
Quoted from SKWilson:

I switched my translite for CPR's mirrored backglass. It is beautiful.
The seller had put Comet 1smd cool white bulbs throughout. I decided to switch the backbox insert to Comet's 2smd sunlight bulbs and included a mix of slow and fast blinkers in the 455 sockets. I think it looks waaaaaaay better.
Backglass lights off (sorry for the window reflection)
[quoted image]
Backglass with 1smd cool white
[quoted image]
Backglass with 2smd sunlight
[quoted image]
Video of backglass with blinkers:

Im doing the exact same thing.

Did you use the comet 455 blinkers?

Did you install GIOCD? I thought it killed the blinkers.

Im installing GIOCD and LEDOCD.
I really want the dimming effects.

#2175 3 years ago

Im doing the exact same thing.
Did you use the comet 455 blinkers?
Did you install GIOCD? I thought it killed the blinkers.
Im installing GIOCD and LEDOCD.
I really want the dimming effects.

Yes. I used both Comet fast and slow blinkers.

I have not gone as far as to install GIOCD or LEDOCD, so I have no experience with them.

#2176 3 years ago

I have both ocd boards and blinker leds in backbox. No issues. Only bulbs to avoid with ocd boards is no ghosting as far as I know.

Mirrored backglass does look great. Love to see one in person.

#2177 3 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I have both ocd boards and blinker leds in backbox. No issues. Only bulbs to avoid with ocd boards is no ghosting as far as I know.

I also have both boards (just converted to LEDS last month) and no issue with the blinkers (comet versions).

#2178 3 years ago

Hi guys! I restored this machine back in 2014 and I’m getting ready to strip the playfield and re-clean it but was wondering if anyone ever made the catch for the hidden hallway. Mine is just a tad too rounded so the ball sometimes forces it’s way through. Also if anyone wants a restoration thread to watch here’s mine. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/funhouse-full-restoration-by-a-13-year-old

#2179 3 years ago

anybody know where to find this part or does someone have one in their spare parts.......the lift pin on mine is quite worn part #A14160

a141601 (resized).jpga141601 (resized).jpg

#2180 3 years ago
Quoted from zerbam:

anybody know where to find this part or does someone have one in their spare parts.......the lift pin on mine is quite worn part #A14160
[quoted image]

It's NLA. I recently repaired mine. Took it to a local hobby shop and they have a selection of hollow tubing. Found a size that fit very snugly, and sleeved it. Cost was about 3 bucks.

#2181 3 years ago

thanks for the suggestion.........may have to go that route

#2182 3 years ago
Quoted from SKWilson:

Yes. I used both Comet fast and slow blinkers.
I have not gone as far as to install GIOCD or LEDOCD, so I have no experience with them.

Thanks !

Quoted from jawjaw:

This is really great to know.

Quoted from chillme:

I also have both boards (just converted to LEDS last month) and no issue with the blinkers (comet versions).

Perfect! Thats what i wanted to hear.

#2183 3 years ago
Quoted from evanshane237:

Hi guys! I restored this machine back in 2014 and I’m getting ready to strip the playfield and re-clean it but was wondering if anyone ever made the catch for the hidden hallway. Mine is just a tad too rounded so the ball sometimes forces it’s way through. Also if anyone wants a restoration thread to watch here’s mine. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/funhouse-full-restoration-by-a-13-year-old

You mean this?
http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPS-A-14151

Available elsewhere but costs vary.

#2184 3 years ago

That is the one! I couldn't find those anywhere 6+ years ago. Glad someone made them haha

#2185 3 years ago

Soooo happy to be back!IMG_20200805_025109067 (resized).jpgIMG_20200805_025109067 (resized).jpg

IMG_20200805_025053427 (resized).jpgIMG_20200805_025053427 (resized).jpg
#2186 3 years ago

Didn't want to clog up this thread, anyone have gremlin advice? https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/funhouse-switch-question#post-5782766

#2187 3 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Soooo happy to be back![quoted image]
[quoted image]

That is f’n awesome. Nice work.

#2188 3 years ago

IMG_20200806_000127858 (resized).jpgIMG_20200806_000127858 (resized).jpg
Wish I could say it was my work! It was done by Weir Pinball a few years ago. I love it. It came with this new in box topper. Its kinda growing on me. Can't find it online, I was assuming laseriffic?

#2189 3 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Soooo happy to be back![quoted image]
[quoted image]

I have the same line up of FT, FH, and TZ in that same order. Early 90's games are the best! Not sure about the painted Rudy but looks like a nice FH. Congrats!

#2190 3 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I have the same line up of FT, FH, and TZ in that same order. Early 90's games are the best! Not sure about the painted Rudy but looks like a nice FH. Congrats!

Thanks. That's what made it awesome... I saw that Rudy on here a few years ago and LOVED him! Totally a polar thing, and I get the purist aspect but it is just so creepy watching his bloodshot eyes

#2191 3 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Thanks. That's what made it awesome... I saw that Rudy on here a few years ago and LOVED him! Totally a polar thing, and I get the purist aspect but it is just so creepy watching his bloodshot eyes

If you want to make Rudy even creepier regardless of how he's painted, check out High Voltages’ Rudy Mad Eyes mod here:

http://ccpinball.com/shop.html?v=1125c

As noted there, the video doesn't do it justice - the eyes go VERY red when triggered.

I had to overcome my long-standing hesitancy to take Rudy partially apart, but the instructions made it very straightforward. Be sure you read through them several times before starting so you have the overall picture of how it's going to go. And while it won't take you that long, be sure you have a couple of hours available when you start so you can finish it in one session and not have to come back to it part way through later.

My factory-Rudy is much more intimidating now, so I can only imagine how nasty he'll look with any custom paint jobs.

#2192 3 years ago
Quoted from TheRudyB:

If you want to make Rudy even creepier regardless of how he's painted, check out HighVoltage's Rudy Mad Eyes mod here:
http://ccpinball.com/shop.html?v=1125c
As noted there, the video doesn't do it justice - the eyes go VERY red when triggered.
I had to overcome my long-standing hesitancy to take Rudy partially apart, but Ron's instructions made it very straightforward. Be sure you read through them several times before starting so you have the overall picture of how it's going to go. And while it won't take you that long, be sure you have a couple of hours available when you start so you can finish it in one session and not have to come back to it part way through later.
My factory-Rudy is much more intimidating now, so I can only imagine how nasty he'll look with any custom paint jobs.

Just when you think you've seen every mod!

#2193 3 years ago

Here is a short vid of a quick easy mod I did:

#2194 3 years ago

Boy that's super odd! Funhouse on the TV show doom patrol.

20200806_215818 (resized).jpg20200806_215818 (resized).jpg

#2195 3 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Here is a short vid of a quick easy mod I did:

I haven't played my Funhouse for a while now, so excuse my ignorance, what's the mod?

#2196 3 years ago
Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

I haven't played my Funhouse for a while now, so excuse my ignorance, what's the mod?

Watch the three star posts just above the white pop bumper.

#2197 3 years ago
Quoted from TheRudyB:

Watch the three star posts just above the white pop bumper.

ahh!! Very cool

#2198 3 years ago

Hey everyone! If all goes to plan, I will be doubling my pinball collection tomorrow and picking up a Funhouse! My other pin is a Sopranos, but Funhouse has always been my first love. I have a sneaking suspicion that I will be posting a lot of questions soon in this thread! I'm not very handy or known to fix things around the house, so buying a used, older machine has got me a bit nervous! But as the kids say nowadays, YOLO!

#2199 3 years ago

#2200 3 years ago
Quoted from LeMansFan:

Hey everyone! If all goes to plan, I will be doubling my pinball collection tomorrow and picking up a Funhouse! My other pin is a Sopranos, but Funhouse has always been my first love. I have a sneaking suspicion that I will be posting a lot of questions soon in this thread! I'm not very handy or known to fix things around the house, so buying a used, older machine has got me a bit nervous! But as the kids say nowadays, YOLO!

Alot of the questions can be answered here. For some of the little hands-on stuff, you'll want to find and become friendly with some local Pinsiders to lend a hand if needed. You'll probably want to ask around to find a local 'pinball repair guy' that can come over for the bigger items at a fee. You'll find the most time consuming part will be finding replacement parts. MOST parts that wear out are available with enough looking from one of the dozen main sources, but a handful are not (like rudy's eyeballs or his face) and that is where the adventure begins.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bethel Park, PA
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.95
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Martin, CA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

13,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 22.50
There are 5,074 posts in this topic. You are on page 44 of 102.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/funhouse-club/page/44?hl=lodi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.