View topic image gallery

IMG_20150510_173850.jpg
IMG_20150510_163449.jpg
IMG_20150510_163438.jpg
IMAG2365.jpg
IMAG2360.jpg
IMAG2362.jpg

#1 8 years ago

I am sure this has been posted, but I cannot find the answer here.

What is the best brand and type of paint, and color# for a restoration of a Funhouse. My cabinet is all stripped down and sanded. Currently fixing any blemishes with bondo, new artwork is on the way.

Also should I use a primer first?

Thanks for any help on this.

#3 8 years ago

I went through 3 different colors/mixes before I finally said good enough. The back of my Funhouse actually has the canned spray paint I think it was the 2x True Blue. I also tried a different blue but didn't like it as well. I didn't redo the back b/c of my Funhouse b/c of the silkscreen. I then went to Lowes and got a quart based off of this website. Funhouse">http://pinballpal.com/colors/#Funhouse I tried to take a picture showing the back, top and decal.

IMAG2362.jpg IMAG2360.jpg

#4 8 years ago

Thanks for the photos jathomp22, I think your paint on the top matches the decal on the side very well. Is that "interior gloss" in the valspar latex.

also, any thoughts on primer or is it ok to spray directly on the bare wood?

#5 8 years ago

The quart says it's a "Ultra Premium Valspar" Interior/Exterior High Gloss Enamel. It matched good enough to not make me want to try anything else. If I took it outside in the sunlight it might be little off but I'm happy with it and it definately looked better then the spray paint.

IMAG2365.jpg

1 year later
#6 6 years ago

Thanks Jathomp for posting pictures! My Lowes didnt have that exact paint style any more, but with the info u provided....they were able to get a similiar match. I just needed some touch up done....but came out pretty well

IMG_20150510_163438.jpg IMG_20150510_163449.jpg IMG_20150510_173850.jpg
#7 6 years ago

all depends on what version of Decals you have as well. One batch is lighter blue, other darker blue.
Both acceptable, but not close in comparison. I have done several funhouse restorations and ran into the same paint matching scenario.

#8 6 years ago

Yea....not perfect, but pretty pleased with the outcome

6 years later
#9 60 days ago

Question, was Funhouse originally a painted cabinet or decals?

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside