(Topic ID: 321216)

Funhouse build question on sound board and transformer

By codered9394

1 year ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

I've been looking on the forum and can not find the answer I'm looking for. I'm trying to get parts for building a funhouse but have a question on the sound board and transformer. I've been trying to source parts for the last couple months. I have a mpu, display board and driver board but do not have a sound board. I have a transformer but it fits a terminator 2 game.
My question is can I use the terminator 2 transformer with a terminator 2 sound board ( I don't have) to run the sound for funhouse. I don't have a terminator 2 manual and not sure if this is possible. I've read that the transformers were normally different due to the sound board. I'm very early in sourcing parts but one way i can source a board or I will have to source both sound board and transformer. I have found a funhouse transformer but the price is awful high.
I'm not sure if the inputs from switches would make it to the sound board correctly. Maybe simpler to source what I need but figured I would ask. Thanks

#2 1 year ago

Any WPC transformer and any WPC soundboard should work, so parts from T2 should work. One thing to note on funhouse is some early production samples were built with sys 11 but Im assuming your build will be wpc based ? the only thing not wpc on funhouse is the display and display controller

#3 1 year ago

Buy a pinsound plus board. Any WPC transformer works

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from JamesH007:

Any WPC transformer and any WPC soundboard should work, so parts from T2 should work. One thing to note on funhouse is some early production samples were built with sys 11 but Im assuming your build will be wpc based ? the only thing not wpc on funhouse is the display and display controller

Yes I'm going with the a-12742 mpu with the
a-12697 driver board. Was hoping to not spend 300 to 400 dollars on a transformer that I may not need. Need that money to hopefully find some hard to find playfield parts. Thanks for the info

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from Gman3:

Buy a pinsound plus board. Any WPC transformer works

Nice to know that this is a option. Thanks

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from codered9394:

My question is can I use the terminator 2 transformer with a terminator 2 sound board ( I don't have) to run the sound for funhouse. I don't have a terminator 2 manual and not sure if this is possible. I've read that the transformers were normally different due to the sound board. I'm very early in sourcing parts but one way i can source a board or I will have to source both sound board and transformer. I have found a funhouse transformer but the price is awful high.

There are two types of transformers used in WPC-89. Form factor and mounting may vary between machines but the transformer secondaries are two distinct entities.

• Pre-DCS is nominally 18VAC CT.
  • DCS is nominally 12VAC CT.

Compatibility:

• Any pre-DCS transformer will work in a pre-DCS machine.
  • Any DCS transformer will work (not necessarily mount) in a DCS machine.
  • A DCS transformer can be used in a pre-DCS machine but the final audio amplification may not result in output as loud as expected.
  • A pre-DCS transformer should not be used in a DCS machine.

Reference: http://www.iobium.com/wpc_transformers.htm

If you are looking for a cheaper solution than Pinsound I offer a reproduction board as bare (board only with online BOM document) or complete (fully assembled without processor and ROMs).

Reference: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dumbass-test-and-reproduction-pcbs/page/3#post-5825899

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

There are two types of transformers used in WPC-89. Form factor and mounting may vary between machines but the transformer secondaries are two distinct entities

Thanks for the info. May reach to you after I find a populated or partially populated playfield. I have a lot of work ahead of me

#8 1 year ago

I should have a few original WPC89 first gen sound boards; unfortunately I sold my last transformer at Allentown this year!

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from Pbpins:

I should have a few original WPC89 first gen sound boards; unfortunately I sold my last transformer at Allentown this year

Let me know what you have. Right now I have a 5610-12835-00 transformer.whatever I can get to work

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

13,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Haledon, NJ
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 29.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bethel Park, PA
$ 22.50
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/funhouse-build-question-on-sound-board-and-transformer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.