• Latest reply 9 years ago by pin-pimp
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20140513_081433.jpg
#1 9 years ago

I can't believe a Funhouse with "a faded cabinet and a worn PF" just went for $2600 on ebay. Add shipping, and that's $3050. With 10,750 units made, I'm surprised it's demanding such a premium. I understand that action for the more rare "~3,000 made" models like (Fathom, Centaur, etc. -- they are just 3x (or more) harder to come by)

Frankly, I'm confused when people dish out $2,600-$3,000 on a title where there's almost nothing to save on the base model towards a high end restore except possibly:

* cabinet wood
* good set of boards
* wiring harness
* switches/solenoids/brackets
* (possibly the display?)

(worth $1600-$1850, all in all?)

Anyone going for a high end restore on that title has another $5000-$5500 to invest. $8,000-$8,500 invested for a FH is simply madness.

The more people that go underwater to fully restore a pin, the more pins that will never change hands. =(

-mof

#2 9 years ago

One better just went here for 2650

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-banzai-run-and-funhouse-6800-for-the-pair

Quoted from mof:

I can't believe a Funhouse with "a faded cabinet and a worn PF" just went for $2600 on ebay.

Really you can't?

Quoted from mof:

Frankly, I'm confused when people dish out $2,000-$3,000 on a title where there's almost nothing to save on the base model towards a high end restore except possibly:

I'm confused...people only buy these games for high end restores?

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I'm confused...people only buy these games for high end restores?

I can imagine some people will just buy a beater to play it "as is" -- but I'm just surprised how much people will sometimes pay for a "base model/beater" with little to salvage on it for >$1000 over its actual value when the scarcity just isn't there for the title.

If that model can earn $3500-$5000 on a high end restore, I can't imagine spending $2600 on a base model. Numbers don't add up...

-mof

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

If that model can earn $3500-$5000 on a high end restore, I can't imagine spending $2600 on a base model. Number don't add up at all.
-mof

I can't relate, I don't care/know aboot high end restores. I know how to fix a "beater" up really well that doesn't involve 800 hours of tumbling screws to make them shiny.

I mean I've seen your posts for a long time. There's no serious way you are surprised that people are paying more than you think a machine is worth.

#5 9 years ago

It makes a lot of sense.... It plays the same.... you aren't going to have less fun playing it if is missing artwork. I would play a blown out machine that plays nice over a great looking machine that plays like crap.

#6 9 years ago

I wanted to try a restore. Not high end or anything but Funhouse was the only machine I could afford to try it on. MM, AFM, MB and all the others ones cost way to much as a base machine to start with for me.

20140513_081433.jpg20140513_081433.jpg

#7 9 years ago

The pricing on this excellent game imo is very, very strange lately. Real nice models were going in the high $4's six months ago and were very difficult to find. I bought a nos playfield a couple months ago for $950 and thought we could sell one with new cabinet graphics and new playfield for around $5K. Recently, one with a new playfield was offered for just $3600. I have seen numerous listings lately for very nice examples for the low to mid $3's.

The high end nice Funhouses have dropped considerably and quickly, which is now making the $2600 seem like way too much, though that would have been spot on three months ago. With things dropping, it is getting more challenging to gage a proper price, especially if you buy to restore and resell. Ar the end of the day, and as time marches on, I think it will come back but I think the market is simply responding to a glut of new games either out, or on the horizon. I think that bubble will burst before we see a collapse of classic pin prices. Its anyone's guess though!

3 months later
#8 9 years ago

Yet another crazy price for a broken funhouse, with cabinet fade and crap photos on ebay.
-mof
$2551
ebay.com link: itm

#9 9 years ago

Is it wrong that I just put in a few bids? It's close to me and actually looks solid.

But yeah, prices are crazy, but they are what they are. But the market is a fickle thing. A year ago I paid over $7k for a destroyed monster bash.

#10 9 years ago

There is definitely a pricing identity crisis. I'm hoping the Funhouse bubble bursts long enough for me to buy one... My absolute favorite childhood game.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Yet another crazy price for a broken Funhouse, with cabinet fade and crap photos on ebay.
-mof
$2551
ebay.com link

thats the one I was trying to decide on but chose this shadow instead for 2200 including shipping
ebay.com link: BALLY WILLIAMS THE SHADOW PINBALL MACHINE LOADED WITH LEDS NICE SHAPE

#12 9 years ago

20,000 TAFs and there $4500 plus...

#13 9 years ago

Funhouse is one of those games that will always demand a high price regardless of shape. Yea, they made a ton of em, and they all got the snot played out of them. I wouldn't doubt there are still a decent amount on route making money. Couple the demand with the fact that almost all the parts (even game specific parts) are easily available to restore the game, and the price even beater games demand makes sense.

FWIW I OVERPAID big time when I bought mine 10 years ago. Game is a player for sure, but over the years have amassed all the parts needed to restore. I just need to find the time to learn cabinet work and decal application and I can get started on mine.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from tjc02002:

20,000 TAFs and there $4500 plus...

That's because people still make money on route.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

thats the one I was trying to decide on but chose this Shadow instead for 2200 including shipping
ebay.com link » Bally Williams The Shadow Pinball Machine Loaded With Leds Nice Shape

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anybody-ever-dealt-with-barrywnj-on-ebay

Just fyi. I almost bought a game from him before I found this thread.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from sckurk:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anybody-ever-dealt-with-barrywnj-on-ebay
Just fyi. I almost bought a game from him before I found this thread.

i talked to him and he seemed pretty upfront about what was wrong with the game. If the pictures are real (which I asked him about) then the game is in really good shape cosmetically. I have bought off of similar sellers before and know what to expect. If I can get it working for 300 or 400 bucks i have a good deal if indeed its the game I saw in the pictures. It will be here tomorrow and I will let you guys know what i find out.

#17 9 years ago

Man...avoid ebay I really think it's more trouble than it's worth.
Just forget it exist, except to find parts

#18 9 years ago

Not suprised at all at the recent price for Funhouse, especially on Ebay. About a year ago, there was another Funhouse that was in worse condition that sold for over $2500.00.

What's more amazing to me is the Indiana Jones blimp mod that is selling for about $150.00. Wow! That has to be the most overpriced mod I have ever seen.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

i talked to him and he seemed pretty upfront about what was wrong with the game. If the pictures are real (which I asked him about) then the game is in really good shape cosmetically. I have bought off of similar sellers before and know what to expect. If I can get it working for 300 or 400 bucks i have a good deal if indeed its the game I saw in the pictures. It will be here tomorrow and I will let you guys know what i find out.

Hope it works out for you! There were some people in the thread that did have good experiences with him.

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from sckurk:

Hope it works out for you! There were some people in the thread that did have good experiences with him.

Got the game this morning. Moving this piece of this thread to here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-shadow-help-3-topics

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Man...avoid ebay I really think it's more trouble than it's worth.
Just forget it exist, except to find parts

I don't know if I agree...it seems these days it's awesome to be a buyer on eBay using paypal. Not what you were told, you have six months to dispute it and buyer always wins. Seller even has to pay return shipping. I say it in jest, but this is the problem for sellers today. Want to rent a machine for free for 6 months (shipping costs), buy it on eBay.

#22 9 years ago

i paid $1600 for one about 4 years ago, playfield was toast, needed shopped out.
I did a new PF and and the shop out and leds. nice machine. Been offered 4k but
its not for sale, too hard to replace.
last year I bought 2 more of them, both projects and partial tore down but complete. sold them as is, one for $1000 and the other for $1500.
so i would guess anything under 2k would be a steal, 2 to 3k a good deal, over 3 would have to
be real nice and anything over 4 better be restored

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 22.50
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

13,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bethel Park, PA
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Haledon, NJ
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/funhouse-base-price and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.