Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Scroat
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_9779 (1) (resized).jpg
Capture_FH (resized).PNG
IMG_9740 (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

Hi,

I am out of adjustment room to the side of the triangular cabinet hole that would enable me to get the the secondary ball shooter rod centered on the ball horizontally. See picture. This is the shooter for the crazy steps on funhouse.

I have replaced all components of the shooter rod except the chrome shooter housing. It doesn't appear that the shooter housing is bent, so I don't know if it is worth replacing that part or not.

When I do move the shooter to be centered on the ball, the rod is raised too high on the ball and "tops" it, resulting in the ball getting hung-up before making it to the steps ramp.

I think I could file the triangular opening a bit with a wood file to give more room on the side, but figured I'd ask if anyone has run into this and if anyone has filed the cabinet opening or shimmed the housing to fix this sort of problem.

Game is level side to side.

any thoughts?

Chris

FunHouse

IMG_9740 (resized).jpg

#2 1 year ago

Playfield hangers bent and playfield isn't in the cabinet right ?

LTG : )

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

Playfield hangers bent and playfield isn't in the cabinet right ?

ltg

I'm not sure I understand what you mean about the playfield not being in the cabinet? The picture shows the playfield in the cabinet...

The hangers are landing properly centered in the receiving holes, but I'll check to see if they are bent, affecting the vertical positioning of the lower end of the playfield. Thanks for that suggestion.

#4 1 year ago

I have the exact same problem. I did file the opening down to get it centered. But still having problems with the ball not clearing the ramp. My rod still sets too high and causes the ball to hop and jam up before making the ramp. My cab is heavily moisture damaged so plan on getting a new cab one of these days.

#5 1 year ago

I think this is a really common problem - especially after a PF swap. I had the same problem and solved it by centering the shooter rod (as best I could). I might have shimmed the plate a little with washers to change the angle (it has been a few years). I also opened up the entrance to the ramp on each side. I bumped the side rail out a little and moved the standoff out on the right a little. It didn't take much - certainly nothing noticeable. It shoots perfect every time now.

Capture_FH (resized).PNG

#6 1 year ago

In the middle of my restore and noticed that someone before me filled down the triangle-shaped hole to make the shooter center better. So it seems many in the past have done this to make it perfect. Mine shot perfect before my swap, we will see soon if I need to re-adjust after!

#7 1 year ago

Williams had an unnoticed problem for years with the (normal, right-side) triangular hole in the cabinet being positioned incorrectly, with the people on the assembly line in the factory just whanging the shooter housing to one side to compensate all those years without alerting anyone in engineering or manufacturing. The problem was discovered when everything was redone from scratch for Pinball 2000. So it's utterly unsurprising that the problem would show up on the other side if they just mirrored the measurements on the cabinet and playfield. Personally I'd file out the hole just enough as needed to make it position perfectly, hoping that didn't make the original hole appear out from under the right side of the housing.

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from Scroat:

ltg

I'm not sure I understand what you mean about the playfield not being in the cabinet? The picture shows the playfield in the cabinet...

Yes it's in the cabinet. But is the playfield too far left or too far right because of the hangers ?

#9 1 year ago

Based on recommendations above, I checked the Playfield hangers and they weren't bent and were centered well... so no simple fix there It got me thinking though...

I figured If I could elevate the the lock bar assembly a fraction of an inch, it could help the shooter landing elevation by slighty raising the lower playfield elevation. So I took the lockbar assembly off today and cleaned it using brake cleaner and xylene to remove the old beer.... I decided to use a die grinder to grind out the lower side of the main bolt holes a little to give a tiny bit more upward adjustment space, thinking that if I could force the lock bar upwards a little, I could help the vertical position of the ball shooters. It worked fabulously!

I only took of 1/32 to 1/16 of metal, but look at the difference it made in the landing of the left shooter. See pic for comparison. The left shooter is now 100% and the right is about 90% correct.

I had to readjust the front leg levelers based on the new landing position of the playfield, but all is well now. I think a little filing of the right shooter
wood frame housing will bring that shooter into 100% compliance as well. The Engineer and OCD in me would not let this go unsolved.... Im happy that the small adjustments worked, and while the recommendations above weren't a direct solution, it got me thinking in the right direction. Thanks Pinside!

Chris

IMG_9779 (1) (resized).jpg

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

I have the exact same problem. I did file the opening down to get it centered. But still having problems with the ball not clearing the ramp. My rod still sets too high and causes the ball to hop and jam up before making the ramp. My cab is heavily moisture damaged so plan on getting a new cab one of these days.

See my last post. I raised the lockbar up. It completely fixed the left shooter and the right shooter may be in the adjustment range now. I am very surprised how such a little adjustment made such a big difference. Be sure to screw down the brass screws on the lockbar so that you dont scratch your glass.

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from Scroat:

See my last post. I raised the lockbar up. It completely fixed the left shooter and the right shooter may be in the adjustment range now. I am very surprised how such a little adjustment made such a big difference. Be sure to screw down the brass screws on the lockbar so that you dont scratch your glass.

Also, in addition to adjusting the brass screws, I needed to grind down the metal lockbar tabs that stick up vertically (with a Dremel and shop vac) so that that they didnt rub on and scratch my new glass.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 139.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 15.00
$ 41.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D MODS
$ 269.00
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
$ 16.00
$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 64.00
$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 20.00
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 115.00
Boards
AMCO
€ 22.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
YOYOKOPTER MODS

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside