• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Solenoid Wiring (resized).JPG
Pop Bumpers (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Hello i have been trying to troubleshoot an issue i have been having with FH. The ball when it is draining is not registering. Its also not kicking out a new ball after a ball is locked. I assumed this meant there was a loose wire somewhere on the PF. As i dug, i started noticing that several of the lamps were also out. In all i noticed that the "Light Extra Ball" light on the mirror, Million Plus, Mirror Value, Blue Bumper,3 x blue flashers in the red,white,blue collections Left & Right Gangway, Shoot Again, all 6 of the orange triangles above the Shoot again,Steps Open, 9,40 & 45 on the clock.. So yep, quite a few. I checked the appropriate fuses and been repairing any possible loose wires i find along the way. Can anyone see a pattern of where i should be looking for the main culprit? And are the lamps likely linked with the ball trough issue?

Its driving me insane, feel like the answer is staring me in the face but cant figure it out! spent about 5 hours on it so far. help!

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from GoldMonkey:

Hello i have been trying to troubleshoot an issue i have been having with FH. The ball when it is draining is not registering. Its also not spitting out a new ball after a ball lock. I assumed this meant there was a loose wire somewhere on the PF. As i dug, i started noticing that several of the lamps were also out. In all i noticed that the "Light Extra Ball" light on the mirror, Million Plus, Mirror Value, Blue Bumper, Left & Right Gangway, The white circle in front of Rudy, Shoot Again & all 6 of the orange triangles above the Shoot again + Steps Open. So yep, quite a few. I checked the appropriate fuses and been repairing any loose wires i find along the way. Can anyone see a pattern of where i should be looking for the main culprit? And are the lamps likely linked with the ball trough issue?
Its driving me insane

I can see it is most likely an issue between Yellow/Brown & Red/Brown - but i cant get anything to work. any advice would be great

Think it might be possessed. Should i try holy water?

#3 3 years ago

I would think it would have tobe a loose wire somewhere. Oeep searching mate

#4 3 years ago

I have been still trying to solve this. On the blue bumper, the red/brown is connected to the banded side of the diode. When i switch the this wire to the open side of the diode, the blue bumper and the left/right gangway lights work - however it is not correct format as the blue bumper does not flash in sequence.

I have tested the 3 trough switches and all 3 seem to test ok. none are staying open and when manually pushed, they test fine. To confirm, the ball when it is draining is not kicking into the right side of the trough.

in switch test mode i am gettibng a reading of

Dummy Jaw Opto swithc 51
Steps Hotdog opto 55
Trap door closed - 76
Switch 24 - Always closed

On the solenoid test everything is testing out except for the RED bumper & the outhole.

The fact the red bumper is not working has really confused me as i dont see how it is linked to everything else at all.

Another change in the machine is getting a loud hum from the bottom of the playfield. I cannot completely find the source, but i have done a speaker upgrade installed by a friend recently in the last week. It was working fine and sound appears to be fine currently. Unsure if the hum/buzz is from the speaker, appears to be around there (ie back for the playfield)- but not convinced its coming from that speaker as if i unplug it, the buzz continues. I think its coming from the power box that the power lead runs from on the right side of the cabinet. I mainly think this is if i put my ear on that side of the cabinet i can hear the hum very loudly. It appears to be coming from around there, but cant say for sure. How this is connected to the other issues really has me stumped. Am i just getting a variety of different issues at once?

I know this is a real horrible, confusing mess - but if anyone can help direct me i would really appreciate it.Spent about 6+ hours trying to work this out and its really frustrating me

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from GoldMonkey:

I have been still trying to solve this. On the blue bumper, the red/brown is connected to the banded side of the diode. When i switch the this wire to the open side of the diode, the blue bumper and the left/right gangway lights work - however it is not correct format as the blue bumper does not flash in sequence.

From the schematics, it looks like +50v (violet/green) should be going to the banded side of the coil diodes on those pop bumpers. Then brown/black should be coming off the left bumper (red), brown/red should be coming off the right bumper (white), and brown/orange should be coming off the lower bumper (blue). That's assuming your bumper cap color's match the attached picture. But left/right/lower will probably be more specific.

Pop Bumpers (resized).jpgPop Bumpers (resized).jpgSolenoid Wiring (resized).JPGSolenoid Wiring (resized).JPG
#6 3 years ago

Howd u go mate?

#7 3 years ago

How'd u go mate?

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from mskoenen:

From the schematics, it looks like +50v (violet/green) should be going to the banded side of the coil diodes on those pop bumpers. Then brown/black should be coming off the left bumper (red), brown/red should be coming off the right bumper (white), and brown/orange should be coming off the lower bumper (blue). That's assuming your bumper cap color's match the attached picture. But left/right/lower will probably be more specific. [quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks, the stuff on wires to bumpers re diodes was in reference tO the lamps, not coils. The coils on my bunpers are actually diode-less. They have been diode-less since i had the machine, so doubting this is part of the issue?

As the machine had been working fine i assume all the wiring is correct - its more a matter of finding out why the specific pf lights, blue flashers are out, along with the outhole & red bumper. Its got me totally stumped

#9 3 years ago

Did some more checking today - tested both coils in the outhole & the Upper right Bumper with a MM in the machine, powered off, and both tested ok.

Re-did some connector pins on the PF and headbox.

Re-soldered some wires just in case and have continued to scour for a wire break - still nothing. Havent managed to get any improvement whatsoever.

All lights still out on Row 1 & column 1 + all the flashers associated with Blue (including bumper)- still not working.

Still no action from outhole and Upper right bumper.

What am i possibly missing here?? Is it possibly a board issue? I am no good at testing for board issues so its the only thing i haven't tried yet. If anyone can possibly direct me through some further testing that would be great. This machine is breaking my already fragile spirit....

#10 3 years ago

SOLVED: Finally & the answer was not what i expected. tarted looking more in the backbox and was going over the connectors for possible re-pinning. Decided to wiggle and shift the wires around whoile the machine was on to see if i got any reactions. Noticed that a couple of the clock lights came on and off when i moved the ribbon cable. Turns out, one of the ribbon cables in the backbox was faulty! Swapped it over with another machines and literally every issue was fixed. I cant believe it & very relieved. Gosh i love/hate pinball

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

13,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bethel Park, PA
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Haledon, NJ
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 29.95

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/funhouse-amp-the-ball-trough-amp-lamp-vortex?hl=raouljuke and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.