Topic Stats

• 38 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by alexanr1
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

TouchPoint.jpg

#1 5 years ago

Had some friends over last night, Funhouse had been working properly till then. Three problems came up at the same time, so I'm not sure if they are all related. Here are the problems:

1. Rudy Jaw: Has stopped working properly, it will close on game start up but will not open during game play or in test mode. I've checked the gears and no teeth are missing and I can move it freely by hand, so it's not stuck. I've also tested with a 9 volt and it works properly in both directions. Checked the connections to the small diver board in the back left corner and they seem to be ok.

2. Steps gate: Will not open in test or gameplay. Checked the relay, no connections hanging and it's not burned out.

3. Trap door: It will open but not close back down. The coil that opens and closes doesn't seem to be the problem, but the relay that actuates and allows the door to come down is not working. This is neither burned out or have connections hanging.

I've read about issues with the small jaw driver board causing problems with the motor movement, but since these problems all came up at the same time I thought they might be connected to an issue on the main driver board rather then just an issue with the jaw driver board. I have some repair experience, but not much with board work, so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

#2 5 years ago

Have you checked if they have anything in common ? Wire, fuse, transistor ?

LTG : )

#3 5 years ago

Checked the wires and none are common, checked all the fuses and they are all good. Not sure about how to track down the transistor and if they are common.

Also of note, in test mode the jaw motor will close the mouth when it's testing close and it will close the mouth when it's testing to open.

Stephen

#4 5 years ago

Checking through the manual and it looks like the transistors different.

-Stephen

#5 5 years ago

With no where to go, start at the beginning.

Check the power driver board...check each of the test points to make sure your voltages are clean.

Did you run through all tests? Check all switches (optos too), solenoids, lamps, flashers...there may be a clue if you start isolating working systems.

faz

#6 5 years ago

Will try running through all the tests to see if something else is not working properly.

Not sure how to test the voltages on the power driver board. How do I go about doing that?

-Stephen

#7 5 years ago

The power driver board has probe points that allow easy testing of power. Be careful, these tests must be done with the machine on.

Here's a photo of the board from pinwiki: http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/images/b/be/WPC_Power_-Driver_Board.jpg

I included an extra inset of what a touchpoint looks like. Set your DMM on "voltage". Put the common lead on ground and probe with the other lead.

They are scattered over the board. TP1 through TP8...it's kinda like Where's Waldo...fun to hunt. Better to scan the picture than bent over your backbox.

The expected voltage is printed on the board. While TP5 is a ground, you may want to find ground from a strap in the box rather than on the board. If the clip get's bumped off, you might whammy your board.

If you're not comfortable probing the board, just do the menu tests to get us more info on what's not working.
faz

TouchPoint.jpg

#8 5 years ago

Thanks for the how to Faz. Will check the test points when I get home this evening and report back.

-Stephen

#9 5 years ago

Ok, so I started to go through the tests in the menu to check all the switches, lights, etc. when I noticed that some of the inserts lights were out. Continued to check all the switches one by one and all were working correctly. Then went to check the voltages as you described, when I noticed the insert lights were back on. Tested out the game and everything was working again!

Wondering if maybe it was a loose connector in the back box and when I was probing knocked it back into place. Went through all the connectors to make sure everything was in place. Will play test the rest of the night to see if any of the problems crop up again.

I'll report back later tonight or tomorrow morning.

-Stephen

#10 5 years ago

It's probably a bad connector. Go through the manual. Find the one of the lamps that was flaky and trace to the connector. Check for burn, bad pins or loose wires into the IDC.

faz

#11 5 years ago

After playing it a few time this evening same problems came up again. Will take your advice and trace to the connector.

But since it's two relays and a motor would that even be the same connector as the lamps or do you think it's more then one at the same time getting flaky?

-Stephen

#12 5 years ago

Seems unlikely that it's all one connector...but I'm not sure what's really down. Could be a lot of things. I had a cold solder joint on one of the big caps...caused all kinds of weird issues when the connection was broken. Otherwise, worked fine. Make a laundry list of what's not working.

faz

#13 5 years ago

Thought I would piggy back on this thread. Anyone ever have seen Rudy's speech stop working. Can turn off and then turn back on and it starts working again. (It's not the jaw motor, the actual speech). It's not a regular issue, pretty random. Any thoughts?

#14 5 years ago

Bump...

#15 5 years ago

Going to make a list of all the lights out to add to the other relay and motor issues tonight. Will have to see if it's a connector issue or if it's board component/cold solder joint issue like you were saying.

#16 5 years ago

For the speech not to work, I would think it might be a ROM issue.

#17 5 years ago

I am having similar troubles with my funhouse, when I power on my machine step gate immediately locks in the open position until I turn the game off, Rudy's jaw also opens but then stays open. Replaced motor and small board and checked all gears. Basically when you pull the motor out of the bracket yet leave it hooked up as Rudy talks it basically runs wild. Thinking about sending driver board away for repair. Watching this thread because it seems we are having similar issues with funhouse.

#18 5 years ago

CookyJar...sounds like a plan. You mentioned lights came back, but what about the other failures. Rudy, trap door....

Alexanr1... do all sounds go away or just speech?

faz

#19 5 years ago

All the other issues went away as well. Had it on for about 3 hours and it continued to play fine then the issues popped up all at once again during gameplay. Opened the back box started to press on a few of the driver board connectors and it started working again correctly. It was getting late at that point so I didn't test out further.

-Stephen

#20 5 years ago

Did a little looking. Very odd. The trap door open/close solenoids are high power (J130) and the steps is low power(J127). and lights and Rudy. Not seeing anything in common. Could you have lost ground to the board? That would cause all kinds of weirdness and possibly get impacted with you poking around.

Just a thought,
faz

#21 5 years ago

Hey Faz, you might be on to something. When I opened the head I noticed the nut on the ground straps was loose, so not all the ground straps were pinned down. Slight movement could have bumped them on or off of each other causing the issues to disappear or reappear. At least that's what I'm hoping it is.

Had to take some work home tonight to do, so I won't be able to do much more testing this evening. Will be back on it tomorrow to and see if anything pops up.

-Stephen

#22 5 years ago

Just speech, other sounds are fine. It's not every time. Maybe once in 20 times or so.

#23 5 years ago

Bump

#24 5 years ago

The intermittent nature of the issue feels like something is loose. Check the connections to the sound board. Reseat one connector at a time. Play 20+ games....see if the problem 'goes away'. If it does, then focus on rebuilding that connector. Reseating connectors is a temp fix. If the problem persists, move on to the next connector.

faz

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from alexanr1:

Just speech, other sounds are fine. It's not every time. Maybe once in 20 times or so.

Connectors on the sound board or possibly a ROM issue. If you have not done so already, check the condition of the pins and the solder pads for the pins on the underside of the sound board. If the solder is not shiny, you should reflow solder over the pads. Also check your connectors, especially the ribbon cable between the sound board and CPU, and make sure the wires are crimped in place snugly for non-ribbon connectors. If you still have issues, it could be a component on the sound board related to the speech ROM, or the ROM itself. Usually when the ROMs have issues though, you will get garbled output/artifacts or nothing at all permanently, not intermittently, so I wouldn't assume that it is bad until you try everything else first.

#26 5 years ago

Played a lot last night without the problems with the jaw, steps, trap door, etc. popping up again. Guess I'll just cross my finger and see if it turns up again in the coming weeks. Thanks for the help faz!

-Stephen

#27 5 years ago

Did you tighten any of those ground connections?
faz

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

Connectors on the sound board or possibly a ROM issue. If you have not done so already, check the condition of the pins and the solder pads for the pins on the underside of the sound board. If the solder is not shiny, you should reflow solder over the pads. Also check your connectors, especially the ribbon cable between the sound board and CPU, and make sure the wires are crimped in place snugly for non-ribbon connectors. If you still have issues, it could be a component on the sound board related to the speech ROM, or the ROM itself. Usually when the ROMs have issues though, you will get garbled output/artifacts or nothing at all permanently, not intermittently, so I wouldn't assume that it is bad until you try everything else first.

Thanks. Will mess with it this weekend. Appreciate the suggestions!

#29 5 years ago

Yes, had tightened the ground connections, so far with no problems it looks like that had been the issue.

-Stephen

#30 5 years ago

faz

Quoted from CookyJar:Yes, had tightened the ground connections, so far with no problems it looks like that had been the issue.

Excellent! Let's hope

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

faz

Excellent! Let's hope

Yep, fingers crossed. Will report back in about a week on how it's running.

-Stephen

1 year later
#32 3 years ago

Hello, I am having an issue with my funhouse and I can't figure out where else to ask for help! My fun magic mirror has stopped selecting. When you hit that shot the ball comes back out as if the mirror wasn't activated even when the mirror should be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Side note: I tightened the mirror and the problem went away for a day or two but then it returned.

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from Rudygulp69:

Hello, I am having an issue with my funhouse and I can't figure out where else to ask for help! My fun magic mirror has stopped selecting. When you hit that shot the ball comes back out as if the mirror wasn't activated even when the mirror should be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Side note: I tightened the mirror and the problem went away for a day or two but then it returned.

Sounds like a switch that isn't triggering. Does the game throw any errors when it boots up? Do you get the low sounding Ding, ding, ding sound when it comes on? (Wasn't sure how much pin experience you have)

#34 3 years ago

Do a switch test. Sounds like the switch in the under PF subway has a bad connection or has gone bad.

#35 3 years ago

First of all, thank you for taking the time to help us out. We don't have any experience with pinball machines but we have dabbled in circuits and are willing to learn. We also have access to the full owners manual which includes a ton of info we aren't sure how to digest. We are slowly making our way through things but feel we lack some basic know how that would really jump start this fix.

We do have the ding ding ding ding noise but that we believe is related to the time and date (unit won't retain highscores because the onboard battery module isn't working). Apart from that though no, there are no errors.

In regards to the switch test, we seem to be a bit lost. We have the switch matrix and the single switch page opened up in the manual but can't seem to identify which switch is the one that goes with the mirror. Can you give us a brief guide on troubleshooting these bad boys?

We greatly appreciate the help guys! Rudy is the best!

#36 3 years ago

When u get the ding ding error sound, open the coin door and there are a set of switches to change settings, etc... Use the switches to cycle through and make sure you are not throwing any more errors. I would get a set of batteries in it ASAP, so your diagnosis of issues focuses on real issues.

#37 3 years ago

We changed the batteries but it appears that the batteries corroded the module which needs to be replaced. That just affect the machine's ability to retain information right?

#38 3 years ago

Well, the corrosion could cause other problems as well. It's on the motherboard. Does the game boot up,and play minus a couple issues?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 135.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 139.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside