right lane switch 2 (resized).jpg
IMG_1554 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1551 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1552 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1553 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1550 (resized).jpeg
20240225_174730 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #37 Promo video Posted by unigroove (2 years ago)

Post #38 Preorder link for PPS Posted by PPS (2 years ago)

Post #121 Promo photos Posted by Pedretti_Gaming (2 years ago)

Post #672 Review and instructions from an early adopter Posted by pinballonthemark (2 years ago)

Post #693 Gameplay video 1 Posted by UVAJED (2 years ago)

Post #694 Gameplay video 2 Posted by stumblor (2 years ago)

Post #716 Gamplay video 3 and 1.0 gameplay video Posted by AMSNL (2 years ago)

Post #1116 Ramp Switches - Important checks for 2.0 to work correctly Posted by UVAJED (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Zablon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#78 2 years ago

So, I am very intrigued by this, but I have questions.

I wouldn't be interested in re-kitting my system, but I'm assuming the primary pieces that give you the 2.0 are things that are interchangable back to original?

Secondly - any info regarding the early Funhouses with Sys-11 and older ROMS and if they are compatible?

#101 2 years ago

Hmm it is on CT's site...strange as it didn't come off as something that was going to be available in multiple places. However....unless these are shipping now, and with not all info out, why require the entire amount now when PPS is just taking reservations?

#135 2 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

Hearing how Rudy sounds may be the deciding factor for me.

We already heard how Rudy sounds from the promo video. It is not the same....what will be curious is if original mode uses the original voice. I would assume so, but who knows.
It probably seems like it's not a big deal, but for those of us who've loved this game for decades, such a departure is jarring. It is clear it wasn't even an attempt to make it sound similar. However, depending on what the theme really is - the true meaning of Rudy's Nightmare - is he in a dream? etc, the alternate voice may not be a big deal. Maybe it's his jekyll and hyde scenario where it makes sense his voice is different.

Earlier someone said they didn't think FH had any scary elements...and I disagree. There has always been somewhat of a dark side to the game, from theme, some callouts, to Rudy's personality itself. It's very subtle, but it is there. He's always been a little unhinged.

#136 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

People *always* ask for ball savers on games!! Almost always the first request when I'm musing about old software changes.
As long as a ball saver doesn't allow exploitation and is the same for all players, some games sure, add it. Make sure to have a menu option to turn it off though.

FH doesn't need a ball saver, and I don't know why anyone would think this unless you are worried about little kids playing it. It DOES have a ball saver if the ball doesn't register any hits before it drains which is good enough.

#143 2 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

They said it runs the original roms on the board in original mode, so wouldn't that use the same sound/voices?
Also, I think I prefer the new version as a new voice rather than an attempting sound the same, which would surely disappoint. This way, I can think of the new mode as Rudy's nightmare voice and realize it is different for a reason. I'm psyched for this!

This is the direction I'm leaning.

#159 2 years ago

Since it's all reversable, I would say it is the same size - as it has to fit in the existing speaker panel space. The screen doesn't appear to be any bigger than the existing display.

#162 2 years ago
Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

When I played the kit they explained to me that Rudy is asleep, we are playing his nightmares and the goal is to wake him up from it. Therefore Rudys eyes are closed when starting a game, he's sleeping.

Sounds awesome.

#164 2 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Deepfake voice technology.
Just sayin’

Hahahha...omg...someone do this

#168 2 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

So, I realize we are all going to come up with nit picky questions, but the one about Rudy is one I would be curious about. I had assumed Rudy would be functioning during the game, and now I'm wondering if he is not active at all unless you beat the game? It would seem odd playing with his eyes closed the whole time. I think gameplay clips are going to be key in order to get people to bite.

Doesn't make sense that he would be inactive during the entire game play since one of the main shots is hitting him. There will at least be snoring chokes, hitting him to wake him up, maybe delusional fits (sleep walking).....or...maybe he's 'asleep' but you are in the dream state where he is active...we don't know yet, but I'm intrigued by all the possibilities.

#170 2 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

If they are a few weeks from release I'm guessing they have a game that plays. An actual gameplay video along with the announcement would have alleviated a bunch of this speculation regarding features.

One thing I've learned about pinball is...that is rarely the case with anyone but Stern.

#195 2 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

Seriously already sold out? And how many of these spots were purchased by scalpers? If anyone wants to bow out let me know I'll happily take your place.

They haven't went on sale yet. Just interest reservations. Also, it doesn't sound like there is a limited number planned.

#211 2 years ago

I mean....it plays like a funhouse...im not clear on what some of you expect. It is just code changes. The shots amd feel are the same. I guess some want it all handed out and not leave any suprises? I don't want all the details on the code...otherwise why buy it? Just watch someone play it online and call it a day.

#214 2 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

I assume it's going to be alot like Bride of Pinbot 2.0, which I also have. Same playfield and shots, nothing changes there, but all new music and objectives, alot more depth, ability to add in new multi-balls and wizard modes, etc. With BOP 2.0 it completely changes the game so it feels like a totally new game, even though the playfield layout remains the same.

I get that, but why would you want all that spoiled? If you've already played the original, you already know if you like the game or not. Maybe I'm in the minority but I don't want it all spelled out, I like the discovery.

#233 2 years ago

Who knew pinball would be an investment 20 years ago.

1 week later
#278 2 years ago

wouldn't make sense to ignore the main feature of the game. I don't even understand why this is a question.

#291 2 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

https://www.pinballnews.com/site/2021/11/19/funhouse-rudys-nightmare-announced/
"Two years ago Pedretti and PPS reached an agreement to produce a series of ‘2.0’ conversion kits for existing Williams/Bally titles, with this Funhouse kit the first to be announced."

Hmm..only Williams games I have is Funhouse and Space Station, so I guess, commeee oonnn space station 2.0! ...probably not though lol.

#293 2 years ago
Quoted from Ace8Track:

I have the opportunity to pick up a Funhouse with a bad MPU board from battery damage. Would the new board in 2.0 completely replace the old board and have the ability to run the old code?

That's sure what it sounds like...sounds like it replaces the cpu and sound boards at the very least.

#300 2 years ago

You have to keep in mind the context of when this game came out. It was pretty state of the art at that point and it's endgame was not something you just got to in your 2 minutes of paid game play. It really was the jumping point of what was about to come in pinball. The scoop was specifically just a prime eject to get the ball to the right flipper to hit the ramp - mostly for the steps activation hole, as well as somewhere for the trap door to go. I would say much of the budget on this game went to the Rudy head design/coding/voicing.

#309 2 years ago

n/m i can't read either

#354 2 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

I hope they make enough kits so everyone can have one

They are only making 5. Get your auction boots ready!

/s

#377 2 years ago

To he fair...i have yet to see a preview for pinball stuff that gets me hyped. Marketing just isnt strong in this hobby.

#419 2 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

That would be funny. Unfortunately, based on my recent inspection of the eye mechanism, the eyes are not mechanically able to go in opposite directions. Would be cool, though.

They do when they are broke!

#430 2 years ago

I think what we're seeing is that it isn't ready yet. I do find it strange how people who make things in the pinball world don't seem to have any concept of what people want to see when showing off something. I mean, it should be a straight forward 'what would 'I' want to see to convince me to buy this?' But..so many seem to miss the mark.

Ultimately though, it probably wouldn't matter one way or the other.

#460 2 years ago
Quoted from Zukidog:

Could be a lot of fun to play around with new voice talent. Cool to have access via Pinsound for sure - however, you'd have to be a little cautious to use the same rhythm for speech patterns so Rudy's mouth still syncs up. Doable, but does add some extra focus.

I just realized that the 2.0 Rudy sounds a lot like Skaarsgard's Pennywise. If not a bit less whispery.

#466 2 years ago
Quoted from Scalabrine526:

Or hire Ed Boon to return to do Rudy’s voice again, but that’s wishful thinking

I think earlier in the thread they said they reached out but he never responded.

3 weeks later
#595 2 years ago

Just got my invoice for the deposit as well.

#600 2 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Would be excited to see gameplay video. Requests for money without it, not so much.

I get it, but I don't necessarily agree. I already know how the game shoots, which is typically how I choose. I don't care to see every aspect of this since it is simply a rule change...the overall game is not going to change THAT much. Is it a lot of money? Yeah...it is, and may not be worth it in the end....but it's still cheaper than a NiB :p or used for that matter.

#604 2 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

Okay, but what if the new rules aren’t that good? What if the music/sounds/animations, etc are not up to par? Personally, I’m done with this silly pinball world game of plunking down money without even seeing a finished product. The stand up approach is to release the beta testers to post full gameplay video BEFORE asking for money. Anything else comes off as shady and/or insecure behavior no matter how you spin it.

Yeah, but to be fair, it's just a deposit to gauge serious interest. You can always get it back. They said they will post more gameplay soon. And you are not wrong and there is no harm in waiting as these are not a limited release.

#616 2 years ago

does this replace the amp then? I assume it wouldn't make TOO much of a difference unless you replaced the speakers as well.

#619 2 years ago
Quoted from brainmegaphone:

Kit comes with "new high quality speakers"...

I completely missed that.

#622 2 years ago
Quoted from brainmegaphone:

Kit comes with "new high quality speakers"...
Maybe my question should be worded this way - can pinsound really improve a games sound if the sound samples were already downgraded? Or does it just make the "old sound" slightly better.
Or do people that invest in Pinsound only do so in order to download custom sounds?

I don't really have any experience with it. Most people use it to change the sounds. It isn't going to improve bad sound, but a 'new soundsystem' backend may help in a very minor way. The different speakers will do more to improve the sound than the pinsound itself, and I think in most cases people change all of that at the same time.

#640 2 years ago

But is it Scandinavian XL or midwest USA XL?

#677 2 years ago

Has it ever been mentioned who's idea this was? Who came up with the modes, and is coding?

#684 2 years ago

I realize people are curious / impatient, but the reality is there is no pressure on you to put any money down right now. If you aren't interested at this point, why badger? Considering many of you drop 10k on new games with little more than a reveal trailer, it amazes me so many are giving these people so much grief.

#713 2 years ago

Am I the only one that expected Rudy to be...well a bit more mischievous? It seems like he mostly just does what to hit and point callouts? I didn't catch really much banter with the player, or excitement in the call outs. And as someone else mentioned him calling out "jackpot" seems like it would be better than just calling out points.

As for the modes, they look fun. I didn't expect some epic rework of shots or how it plays, but understand how some may think wood chopping is old school...which yes it is. I'm not really sure how deep you can make the modes and not make the game a trap fest of following a light shot combo around every time.

As mentioned I too feel like the video mode should be a mystery award rather than a flat out game mode.

Note: I didn't watch the entirety of both videos, I skipped around through them so I may have missed a few things and understand not everything was shown. Not wanting to see everything, just a general overall feel. Lightshow looked good, mouth sync looked good. Animations looked great and I enjoyed the music as well.

#734 2 years ago

Watching in a little more detail today.

1. I had missed that there are...essentially 2 Rudy personalities.

2. During Hotdog Combat, there seems to be a lack of feedback when you hit superdog targets. As this is....a fight...Rudy should be making some sort of noise when he attacks (Hya!, Muleeeekick - or at the very least some fight sounds (punching/kicking etc). Something to tell the player there is something going on.

3. I am in the camp that the 10 minute callouts are too much... Since I am not sure what the 'goal' of the game is, does Rudy WANT you to get to midnight, or does he not want you to get to midnight? Either way, occasionally he should comment on this (such as the 1.0 stop playing with the clock!).

4. As with Hotdog Combat, there seems to be a lack of callouts during modes (other than point callouts). If these are Rudy's nightmares, shouldn't he be commenting as you make shots - whether toward the player or towards the game itself (ie: attack of the clones - it feels like he should be making comments about the clones like "get 'em!" or "yeahhh!" as you progress through shots. Or, mumbling "oh no oh no no no" if he isn't happy you made a shot (or missed a shot).
Same with the rollercoaster mode, feels like he should make some comments like "look out!" or "be careful!" or "you're a terrible driver" (that is assuming he is wanting you to get through it - if he doesn't than he should be antagonizing you as you make it through)

Just some initial thoughts - as you can tell most of mine are regarding the feedback the game gives you - which is what is huge about Funhouse.

Overall it is looking really good!

#790 2 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I really want this mod and I'm focusing on the positive, but this isn't good. There would have to be a way to toggle back and forth to make this a seamless upgrade. Shutting the game down to switch seems harsh and not professional to me. Not trying to pile on here, but that's a deal breaker that should be looked into.

As they probably cannot make changes to the 1.0 code, and I assume that you don't want to have to open the coin door, how would you propose they make that happen with just 2 flipper buttons and a start button? A secret flipper code? Hitting the coin ejects? Basically, things that are not realistic in the environments where I think people would take issue with having to shut the game off to change modes...

They could potentially put something in the menu for 2.0 to go to 1.0, but going from 1.0 to 2.0 might be problematic. Would need to see how exactly the initial menu works, and if they can dump back into it after each game...but people would complain about that extra step of having to choose each time too.

#799 2 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Here ya go....
Our FAST Controller will identify a very long press of the start button and throw an event to the SBI running the display. The developer would then be able to present the option screen to select between 1.0 and 2.0 games.
This will be a standard feature on all 2.0 games that developers can use and provide a consistent experience across all the FAST controlled 2.0 games.
This feature is not yet implemented in FHRN, but will be.
Aaron
FAST Pinball
Thanks, Aaron... That was FAST!

I was thinking about people who might have this on route who would have an issue with rebooting the machine - moreso than someone at home. A long start button press is easy, but a person standing at the game on route probably isn't going to know that. Even if you put a sign on it. Always plan for the dumbest persons

#803 2 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

And the better solution to this dilemma is?

I gave it already, but I don't know if it is possible. Auto-dropping back into your initial version choice menu after a game is over. (mind you, I'm just brainstorming here, I for one don't have an issue with rebooting the game). I don't see too many scenarios where I'd be switching back and forth between them in the same session.

#826 2 years ago

Yeah, I've been a huge Funhouse fan since it came out and even I keep it around more for nostalgia than playing. It is true, an update would probably never have met expectations, and I didn't expect it to. While I am disappointed with the voice, I understand it is what it is. Who knows maybe some day we can convince him to redo the voice, or deepfake it I do see the potential here, and hopefully it will continue to be built upon and improved over time.

#861 2 years ago
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#862 2 years ago

so...this made me realize, someone should retheme funhouse as Childs Play and turn Rudy's head into Chucky.

3 weeks later
#937 2 years ago

but why? It's not that hard or deep of a game...I think you guys are overthinking it.

#947 2 years ago
Quoted from pingod:

Funhouse, with the Pedretti 2.0 on location now at Century Sports Bowling Alley, in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.[quoted image][quoted image]

I read that as "Funhouse, with Predator 2.0 on location now"

#966 2 years ago
Quoted from jetmechinnc:

Waiting patiently , mostly, to be notified by planetary pinball of final deposit. Come on shipments to US!

Are people getting those? I was waiting for the same thing.

#1063 2 years ago
Quoted from Zukidog:

I heard from Sara earlier and will share information here in an attempt to ease her mailbox. The following is paraphrased for general consumption:
"Thank you for checking in on the kits, we are actually still waiting for the product. I believe they are in transit to us.
They are coming from Europe, hopefully we'll get them in the next couple weeks or sooner.
We will definitely reach out to everyone that's going to be in that 1st batch shortly, with the next steps, so please wait to hear from us.
Thank you for checking in hope you're having a great week!"

Haha, so another 4-6 week wait while the boat sits in the dock?

1 week later
#1114 2 years ago

Same. I got the 'teaser for the trailer' email the other day. Nothing since.

#1132 2 years ago

This might help - Placed: 01/20/2022 thru PPS - got my invoice today.

and yes...shipping is insane....

#1135 2 years ago

Well so, the $1 interest or whatever was the first day they listed it. The deposit is the day I noted above.

Shipping was 30.00 then, and now an additional 95.00 now.

#1138 2 years ago
Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

Now you know how the rest of the world likes the normal shipping from the US to us in Europe
It's the norm that shipping is about the same price as the total tems cost and this was even before covid hit.

I'm guessing due to the screens and such they probably have some sort of insurance on it.

#1152 2 years ago

120...actually lol.

#1159 2 years ago
Quoted from Mtg381:

Not sure where I went wrong? The initial start up takes a couple of minutes, but I suspect that's normal. I'm on version .85.
1.0 appears to be working as it should, and is a hell of an upgrade on it's own.
When I select 2.0 and start a game, this is what happens and it does not stop. Rudy is definitely sick in the head. Any thoughts?

Lol..demonic baby saying "ga gahh gaahhh gahhh gahhh"

#1168 2 years ago

PPS just sent out an email stating that the shipping costs were decreased. Didn't say how much yet. Those that paid will get a refund.

#1176 2 years ago

Gee....I have this sneaking suspicion my game is going to be problematic. Anyone with samples/protos installed this?

#1189 2 years ago

Can't wait to get one in my old beater. Hell...I've never been able to play the 9.0 code, so that alone will be an upgrade from L-5 .

1 week later
#1290 1 year ago
Quoted from cfh:

has anyone gotten their funhouse 2.0 kit from Coin taker? i paid a $500 deposit and have sent emails on status, no response...

A few of us reported paying in full a week or so ago. If you haven't paid in full, you are probably a ways off.

#1332 1 year ago

I got notification of shipping yesterday on mine! Unfortunately it will probably be a month before i can even begin to mess with it.

#1343 1 year ago

Got mine today!

#1364 1 year ago
Quoted from pin-pimp:

Got my kit up and running. My baby girl found this on the floor, had to of been in the box. What is it, what did I miss?
[quoted image]

I don't know 'what' it is used for exactly, but pretty sure it's an RF sensor for the remote control. But at this time I do not know what the remote control is used for.

#1397 1 year ago

Doing my switch checks and found my 500k steps switch not working. Found this. Can someone tell me if this should tie into the Molex and also run to that switch below where the reddish wire is tied in?

0411222032a (resized).jpg0411222032a (resized).jpg
#1400 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinball_Eddie:

Not sure if this will help, when I did my restore, have a ton of pics but these two are the best I could find, granted I probably have over 1000 photos LOL
Hope this help.
[quoted image][quoted image]

It kind of does in that it does go to that spot on the molex..but I have no idea why they tapped into it. I'm pretty sure the switch worked at one time so this most likely broke off at some point. Will need to trace out that other switch to see where that wire should go as it doesn't seem like it should go there...although it does have the same color pattern (once you get to it).

EDIT: watched the install video and it does appear that that wire does go to that switch off the same connector.

#1403 1 year ago
Quoted from Zennmaster:

I got my kit from PPS yesterday, and got it all installed and set up by last night.
For those who. like me, were wondering how the kit will install in a prototype/sample game, there is good news and slightly less good news:
The good news is that it works just fine. The FAST and Pinsound boards replace everything that is weird about the hybrid System11/WPC89 setup.
The slightly less good news is that you will need to find a longer 34-pin ribbon cable. I was lucky enough to have all the parts on hand, so it took me about 15 minutes to build one up. It'll need to be about a foot long. If you've got one in your spares box, you're golden.
My kit came with code version 0.86 (Beta), and so far everything seems to be working perfectly.

So...which power cables go to which spot on the board? I don't see any instructions anywhere on how to replace this. (I do actually have a 30 pin cable if it is still good so that's a good thing).

It says 2x grey cables. I believe there is 1 power set on the adapter board and one set on the sound board, but they are the same size blocks.

Does this look right?

0411222250 (resized).jpg0411222250 (resized).jpg
#1408 1 year ago

Thanks for the pics. Got it installed and 2.0 is working fine as far as I can tell.

I do have an issue on 1.0. On boot, he says pick your version and when 1.0 is selected and started there is no sound. If you mess with the volume buttons, the volume screen never leaves. Mine is on .85 at the moment. I will attempt an upgrade tomorrow unless anyone knows of another reason.

Also...I don't think my cabinet speaker is working. The sys-11 games have a weird Y cable, but I'm pretty sure I have it installed to the correct one.

Oh..and a minor thing but I can't find any double sided tape to attach the art frame to the speaker panel. Was it supposed to already be on the panel or was it sitting in a box/bag somewhere?

#1413 1 year ago
Quoted from AMSNL:

then get 2 pieces of double sided tape and problem solved , will send note to the factory.
thank you

mine didn't either.

#1415 1 year ago

On that note, I am glad someone called it out earlier because it is not mentioned anywhere else that I can find and should be sticky'd. If you have an earlier one with the Sys-11 sound, you need a 30pin cable - around a foot long.

I imagine not everyone has one of these just laying around. I only did because I'm a hoarder of old PC parts...and even then, I only had one.

Added 23 months ago:

**UPDATE: Correction it is a 34pin cable, not 30pin. These are easy to find.

#1418 1 year ago

Okay. Updated to .87 and I still have audio issues on 1.0.

Rudy has no sound, there is no music, but occasionally sound effects do go off but it seems random.

Any thoughts or do I need to report it?

Note 2.0 sound seems to work just fine.

#1421 1 year ago

Does the sound function differently between 1.0 and 2.0? For instance, the 30 pin connector, do the files travel down different pins depending on the version? I could see a partial bad cable(being 20+ years old) being a reason if that is the case, but otherwise, not sure how cables would be the problem since 2.0 is working great.

I'll try the reinstall tonight.

#1423 1 year ago
Quoted from AMSNL:

Original 1.0 audio is pass through ribbon cable, 2.0 audio direct from pinsound board. So the problem I think is in the ribbon

Ah okay! Good to know. I'll check that.

#1425 1 year ago
Quoted from chillme:

What the color of the status light on the pinsound card? Should be white, if it's purple it's a problem with the ribbon cable.

It's green. (EDIT...well I think it is green, it might be white). Not purple.

#1432 1 year ago

As an update to my issue.

I am pretty sure my 30 pin cable between the sound and power mpu is bad in some way. 2.0 does indeed work without that cable. I do not have another cable I can try because of the IDE box on the sound board. Note that this cannot be an old floppy drive ribbon because they have a lockout in pin 2 and some of the middle wires are reversed. I will need to see where I can order one of these of the length needed, but as I will be mostly playing 2.0 for now it's not an emergency.

***NOTE: DO NOT reverse this cable. I tried this as a test and immediately blew J112 and J114 when powering up. Fortunately I had a few replacements.

Onto v2.0

It took some time for me to realize it, but I am also getting the tilt issues others have seen. It doesn't always seem to tell you when you tilt (maybe it gets overridden by other events).

During Duckhunt, there is a lack of feedback. None of the targets you hit other than the ramp make any sounds. It feels like they should do SOMETHING. Like even a "XXX" (the sound on family feud when you get the wrong answer)

If an airball lands on the steps ramp leading to the steps plunger lane, the game will close the gate allowing the ball to fall to the shooter, but then immediately plays the drain sound and opens the gate blocking the ball. I did this more than once. The ball can be shot to get it back out to the pf, but I don't think this is the expected behavior.

Multiballs - Rudy should always tell someone they have a ball in the shooter lane, and probably keep reminding them if they don't shoot it. This seems really easy to abuse and/or miss for newer players.

That's about as far as I've gotten so far as it seems the TILT issue happens quite often during multiballs.

#1434 1 year ago

My tilt issue appears to be due to lack of pad behind the E. Hard hits 'short' and light up the entire row of switches. I remedied it for the moment by putting a floor mover sticky pad behind it. (all my wiring is correct and diodes tested good)

FYI : Pat walked my game down the line himself so there better not be anything wrong with it!!!

#1443 1 year ago

About those 30 pin cables. Does anyone know somewhere in the pin world that sells old stock? I can only find them coming from China (Amazon, Walmart, Ebay) and going to take 3-4 weeks to arrive.

As an alternative I might suggest that on the sound board shipped have the IDE header box around the pins removed and just have the bare pins like on the CPU board because then it gives the option to swap in larger header cables as it seems these 30 pin ones are hard to come by.

#1454 1 year ago

I'm not interested in cannibalizing my particular game... :/ I suppose you could do 2 code paths (one for auto launcher, one without - or maybe that's not even necessary with the shooter lane switch.

#1464 1 year ago

What I would like to see someone make - or pdf template is a set of instruction cards. Left side: 1.0 Right side 2.0

I really haven't got too far into it yet...I apparently suck at this game these days.

#1470 1 year ago
Quoted from canea:

I've noticed that modes that are timed don't time out when you stack a multiball mode on top of them. So Duck Hunt won't time out during Evil Clones, for example.

That's because certain shots extend the clock from what I've seen but I don't think there are any callouts regarding it.

#1474 1 year ago
Quoted from TomDK:

I bother
I know there are more graphics and sounds to load and I am not a electronics guy. But it is strange that the Sys11 CPU boots a whole game within seconds incl. a fast diagnostic check and *all* the new systems needs minutes to boot.
For the boot process this is okay, but please try and let in a multiball all balls go out while ballsave is active. It takes too long to bring the balls back to the game.
I am sure this is related to the CPU.
However .. as far as we have a "ZERO" in front of the version number there is hope

Haha...I have this same complaint about the newer PC based games. The "turn it on" and then go play something else while it boots issue.

#1480 1 year ago

anyone else turn the ball save down. 10 seconds is wayyy too long. I turn mine down to 5.

#1486 1 year ago
Quoted from UVAJED:

Whack a Mole is the skill shot.

Ohhh..is that why it says 'you got the hammer'? It continues on next ball?

#1515 1 year ago

I don't know what it is about 2.0 but wow the ball goes down the left outlane a ton...I've had this game for 26 years and it's when down the left more times in a week than the entire time I've owned it. (I know this is just my playing )

I know there's a new version coming out at some point, but I want to point it out again. During the majority of modes, there is a severe lack of feedback on brick shots. Even if they make a noise and only give 10pts, most targets etc should do something.

Something I'm surprised did not make it into this game is using the loop and Rudy's mouth as skill shots. I know it is kind of built in (making multiple loops to open the trap door) but it's interesting that no one ever thought to use Rudy as a super skill shot on launch. (IE: as long as you don't do Rudy's Hideout, it activates a super skill shot on Rudy...Or...even like a loop and Rudy, etc.

Can an option be added to allow button skip (match) when on Freeplay?

Animations / art are very well done

Music is great but I do feel that during a few of the multiballs there's a lack of energy/tension, using slower/laid back songs. I haven't seen everything yet, so maybe that isn't the case for all of them.

Is the voice of Rudy and the Dark Rudy the same person? The Dark Rudy sounds very familiar - like he is the same voice guy from a bad guy on a known cartoon.

After lots of play, I do agree that 2.0 would very much benefit from an autolauncher. I think because you are not using ball locks, the average player will be confused and they simply won't shoot the ball because shooting the ball manually while you have balls in play is a real pain. Yes it is a challenge, but I don't think it is a challenge in a good way.

These are just my random thoughts, none of it is really negative. Liking it very much so far.

#1518 1 year ago
Quoted from UVAJED:

Thanks for the feedback and I'm happy to report that every single thing you mentioned, besides your left draining ability, is already in our database to sort out when possible.
The voices are all done by Marc Silk who also did work with TMNT.

Ah! that makes sense.

#1531 1 year ago

I got a new 34(note 34, not 30, as I was mistaken) pin cable and now my sound works on 1.0.

A few things.

Is there a way to adjust Rudy's voice vs the sounds/music. He is really buried under everything else.

Also, I assume this is because of going from analogue to digital sound, but the overall quality actually seems much lower(lower bitrate?) than the original. Anyone else that went from Sys-11 to this notice these things?
Thanks.

Also just noticed none of my flashers are working. They were before the swap so tracking that down.

#1553 1 year ago

So, at some point, what might be cool is someone making lenticular cards with FH1.0 on one angle and FH2.0 on the other.

#1554 1 year ago

Okay...um...white mayo? That seems a bit out of context, even if it is supposed to be funny (and yeah, I know what it means). Surprised no one else has mentioned this callout.

2 weeks later
#1617 1 year ago
Quoted from jetmechinnc:

OK, without a doubt, this product has the best customer support that I have ever been involved with. Not only did pinsider UVAJED take the past 1.5 hours of his day to walk me through several test and spot minor flaws in my game, we fixed the issue! So in 2.0, specific power is sent to each coils as needed, in the original 1.0, as the original was, gave full power captain to just about everything. So my balls ejecting from the trough worked great in 1.0, but not so much in 2.0 due to lower power, maybe to help preserve the shooter lane? Anyhow, UVAJED noticed my ball ejector linkage was bent/curved and was not hitting the balls in the center, more of a glancing blow. Never noticed it with the old game. So after a couple of tweaks with a pair of Knipix pliers, got the metal straight (will fine tune it a bit later and may buy a new one just because) the ball now comes out of the trough consistently!!!
YAY, the nightmare is over!!!
UVAJED, Thank you soooooo much for your help and for anyone nervous about this upgrade, don't be, the animations, the sound effects, etc are top notch and with a simple hold down of the start button to switch between 1.0 and 2.0 is perfect. I can't wait to see what other games they come out with. If it happens to be one of the games I am restoring at the time, I will definitely be placing my order day one now that I know of the quality product and especially the amazing people backing this program!!!!!
It is amazing to me, that so far, almost all of the issue people have had were basically due to the game being old, ie ribbon cables, diodes, bent metal. These are thankfully minor issues and not due to the upgrade, nice.
Jason

This is interesting to hear. I was having the opposite issue in 2.0 where the ball shoots so hard it would constantly bounce back into the ball trough and then I would have to wait for the ball search. It didn't do it before, or in 1.0 after the installation. Took me a bit to figure out the workaround that fixed it, but had to bend down the upper guide a bit.

#1624 1 year ago
Quoted from Mando:

Cool I am buying one that’s getting restored , he makes them like original which means no LeDs lol . I can of course easily add them … but I like to keep his work of art as intended
PS I worked for Citrix for many years I know that’s you partner(Brian’s) old world haha .

I am the same way. I can confirm 2.0 works great with incandescent. There's one mode that happens that has a really cool effect on the GI that I can't believe was never done in the original.

2 weeks later
#1698 1 year ago
Quoted from insight75:

I agree on this as well. I thought for sure this new code would make the lock work like the original design. That would be a big improvement in my opinion.

They explain why in the gameplay...and given how they designed the modes I guess it makes sense, but yes, it isn't challenging in a fun way. It is annoying.

1 week later
#1712 1 year ago
Quoted from Aflacjack:

Installed mine today and it went smoothly and awesome! But what is the remote control for, and the little ribbon cable with what looks like an led on the end? I followed my instructions but nothing said about them. Thanks

It's for the remote of the display, but you really don't need it.

#1723 1 year ago
Quoted from cfh:

Modes appear to be linear. Is this true? Because that would be kind of a bad thing. Like pop bumpers changing which mode to select or something like that? How do the Modes get selected?

Incorrect info removed.

#1726 1 year ago
Quoted from UVAJED:

The right-most inlane "LITE MYSTERY MIRROR TUNNEL" changes the mode/award lit on the mirror.

Sorry, yes that was it lol.

#1730 1 year ago
Quoted from Zukidog:

I checked all switches and diodes on mine when getting the tilt on the STEP's and the only issue I found was a worn out pad behind the E switch, put a new pad on and it worked for a few days - completely replaced the switch after that and have NOT had the issue ever since. (hundred games since fwiw)

Same. Seems that the pad prevents all those tabs from touching and causing a ground.

1 month later
#1826 1 year ago
Quoted from bsbdmd83:

I also noticed when the step ramp is open, the ball goes to the left plunger but the gate that opens to allow the ball to go to plunger swings back closed once the ball hits the switch- so when you shoot the steps shot you shoot it through the closed ramp wire which is odd.

I have not had that issue. I 'think' that is a known issue where your switches on your ramp are backwards. It's in this thread somewhere.

1 week later
#1844 1 year ago

It's not even a question the voice is WAY too low in v1. Music covers it most of the time.

1 week later
#1858 1 year ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Got my (Cointaker) kit delivered today.
Only problem is. I'm looking to get an classic car so need to sell a few pins.
So can't make up my mind to sell the game with kit uninstalled or sell after I install it.

If you know you aren't going to keep it, sell it uninstalled, either together or separate.

1 week later
#1889 1 year ago

Did development on this add on stop? Just curious if anything is planned or in the works.

2 months later
#2138 1 year ago

I never installed .99, do you need to install it first to do 99_1?

1 month later
#2196 1 year ago

Yeah, I'm patient, but something does seem off about how slow updates are coming.

1 month later
#2271 1 year ago

Was the audio for original Funhouse fixed in the updates? It is so bad it is not worth playing at this time (haven't updated yet).

1 week later
#2304 1 year ago

Odd, I just asked about this and everyone was saying it was fine, granted I'm on the original release code still.

#2306 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

This SUCKS, and goes against everything thst pinsound offers.
WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Something is wrong, and has to be sorted out....

I mean, they've been saying this since the beginning and since they are being so hush about it, I think it was on purpose. Otherwise why use a propriatary format?

#2308 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Pinsound is supposed to be the ULTIMATE enhancement, adding functionality, shakers, effects, you name it.
They could have just put the sounds on a ROM, cheaply, and be done with it.
Something is truly amiss....

I think you missed what I was getting at. This isn't 'pinsound', this is pendretti. They are just using pinsound. My guess is due to licenses, etc...this system is locked on purpose by pendretti.

#2327 1 year ago
Quoted from chillme:

I'm disappointed that the Pinsound XL solution seems to be half baked, the lack of support to customize and fix the audio. In some ways I feel like this has taken my Funhouse backwards. I really like playing 1.0, but not now, not with the version included with the kit.
2.0 is fun, but it's still in need of some serious love by Pedretti. It's been a while since there was an update, hopefully something is coming soon.

Right there with you. I've been pretty quiet and patient about it, but I really hope they finish this one soon. I like the direction of 2.0, and it has progressed. However, I feel like 1.0 should have been nearly perfect out the door. Doesn't make me want to play it at this point. I've learned though that this hobby we are the guinea pigs and you just either accept it, or don't buy any new stuff.

1 month later
#2417 1 year ago
Quoted from mulder2010:

I'm looking for a review of the gameplay for 2.0. Has anyone written one, or be willing to? I'd like to hear how you rate the overall 2.0 gameplay. Thanks!

It's not finished yet.. and sounds like a big update is coming.

1 week later
#2453 11 months ago
Quoted from MC35:

I brought home the MGC Best in Show for a Modded game for FH 2.0. it had a line almost all weekend.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice! Congrats. I was talking to a couple people about this game at the show. Looks really good in person.

#2519 11 months ago

Installed the latest update. Funhouse 1.0 audio is still really off. Rudy is still way too low in the mix. Everything sounds fine in 2.0.

#2529 11 months ago
Quoted from canea:

I'm confused by this. Do we have to load a different mix for FH1 audio separate from the updates - and how is this done? It was mentioned a while back that FH1 music and callouts can be adjusted individually in the menus? Would be nice if it sounded right without the extra hoop jumping honestly...

Yeah me too...I just loaded the .98 I didn't do anything with any other sounds. I know people have been messing with them on their own, but wasn't aware they had any different ones on their site?

#2533 11 months ago
Quoted from joshwiseman:

Any one else not have a rudys hideout animation and it randomly not fire the coil and kick the ball out of the hideout. It happens to me every couple of times the ball lands in there. Was working fine before.

Yeah, I thought I noticed this too. It will give me hammer, but after that nothing, just kicks it out.

1 week later
#2567 11 months ago
Quoted from rogerdodger:

Hey guys....
I am not near my machine at the moment and I need to update the software.
Can someone tell me if the SD card is standard SD or Micro SD?
Thanks, so much.
Roger

micro. Be careful. It is not in an easy to get to spot.

1 week later
#2591 11 months ago
Quoted from rogerdodger:

Hi Guys:
I have just updated from original code to newest code.
On the original code, I could have sworn that the 2.0 end of ball bonus could be 'hurried up' by pressing both flippers but on newest code, I cannot do that.
Has end of ball bonus 'hurry-up' been deleted or was I dreaming this and it was never there in the first place??
Roger

it still works here.

1 week later
#2640 10 months ago
Quoted from mulder2010:

I just received my kit & excited to install it. I'm reading a lot of installation issues in this thread. It sounds like nobody can complete the install without having to pickup an additional (longer) cable or parts. Are the newer kits free of these issues, or should I be looking to purchase cables before I start?

I think most people aren't having issues. I didn't have any. (other than things that you may have to correct on your machine)

4 weeks later
#2709 10 months ago
Quoted from Zenomorp:

Just picked up a Funhouse with this installed. It's on location at my arcade. I'm currently running original Funhouse exclusively for the moment because there are several issues with Nightmare that I don't know if there are solutions for, or if they are known issues. It's currently running version 0.99. Looking for some advice.
Problem 1 - It doesn't appear to be coded to allow for a .50/.75/$100 (USA 2) option. Closest I can get is .50 for one credit, .75 for 2.5 credits, and $1.00 for 3 credits. This isn't a deal breaker, but I'd like to get the .50/.75/$1.00 set correctly. The menu where you choose the options is the most frustrating and difficult to understand menu I've ever come across. Spent 2 hours trying every setting under the sun and couldn't figure it out. I assume it's a code issue.
Problem 2 - If the ball drains after being plunged without hitting a switch first (any switch), the game just hangs. It does not kick another ball out, it does not do a ball search...it does nothing. You either have to open it up and hit a switch, or reset it. Is this a bug in the code? (edit: looks like this is a known issue)
Problem 3 - The audio is not balanced. The music/sound effects are at a 10 but Rudy's callouts are at a 2. There's no way to adjust this that I can see. If I turn up the volume to hear the callouts, the music/sound effects blow my ears out. If I turn it down to a tolerable level, the callouts are inaudible. No way to remedy this?
Thanks.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

WOw, that's a cool set up you have there.

5 months later
#2880 3 months ago

Most likely because most people don't want that 'theme' on their original funhouse. I didn't put any of the new artwork on it.

That being said, I really wish we'd see some sort of code update soon. I'm half tempted to uninstall it at this point.

#2887 3 months ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

Is it that bad? I don't want to change everything out if it's not worth it.

It's not that it is bad, but as mentioned it seems unfinished. For me though the bigger issue is the sound issues on 1.0 that 'don't seem to be an issue'. It's so bad I don't even want to play it at this point. Maybe the long delay is them reworking the code for autoplunger I don't know, but it doesn't really matter how 2.0 is, 1.0 should be flawless, and it isn't.

#2896 3 months ago
Quoted from FrankJ:

Here’s my experience in a nutshell-
Had people over tonight to play. Addams Family, Whirlwind, Bly Playboy, Bly Strikes and Spares, GTL World Series played flawlessly.
Funhouse refused to boot -USB Missing. It has played fine since I replaced a cable. Everyone gone. Reseated all cables, game boots, but no background sounds. How the hell do people operate this on location? This has been my frustration since its’ release! I hold my breath every time I turn it on to see if I’m lucky enough to be able to play it today.
But, how the hell do you sell a $2000 boat anchor that hasn’t performed as advertised since I bought it!

Sorry to hear that. I can't say that's been my experience though. It's been stable. Just not perfected yet. I don't think your experience is common.

2 months later
#2996 44 days ago
Quoted from mikeflan:

Speaking only for myself, I would *not* do it again. Updates have stopped: the year plus long journey to get an autolauncher has been a shitshow. While there are nice elements to the game (animations), overall the added modes seem disjointed and unfun (though seemingly better than Whirlwind 2.0).
User support was great in dealing with the install, but Peretti has seemingly given up on this game.
Mike

This is pretty much my take. I like the animations, I like the modes that are there, but it feels unfinished. I don't find it as compelling as the original for whatever reason. It feels like there was an idea there that they meant to expand on and just didn't.

the autoplunger was never actually planned so I have less of an opinion on that ,but I can see how the game would be better with it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Zablon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/funhouse-20-rudy-s-nightmare?tu=Zablon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.