IMG_1380 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1379 (resized).jpeg
screenshot_315 (resized).png
screenshot_314 (resized).png
20231231_140644 (resized).jpg
20231222_102613 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20231217_195214_Chrome (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 3,014 posts in this topic. You are on page 58 of 61.
#2851 4 months ago
Quoted from fabsj82:

Okay I'm a little lost. Got the kit in and everything works great but there's no sound coming out of the subwoofer. On the original panel this wire that goes down to the woofer was wire nutted into the speaker panel harness. It has 12 volts on it. I've watched the install video three times and the only wire they hook up for sound is the single wire I have pictured below. What am I missing?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I have the same issue as this user - my Sub is not working and I'm not sure what to connect to the "Sub" section of the speaker output board. Attaching the sub via the recommended wire does not produce any sound. Another user said they directly connected their sub to the wires with speaker wire, but that seems a like an extreme solution. Anyone know what to do here?

Thanks

#2852 4 months ago

Anyone aware of an update on the ball launcher? Was hopeful maybe something would be announced with Expo coming up next week.

#2853 4 months ago

I’d also be curious on update for the ball launcher, I’ve had it on location for 6 months about and always put it in classic mode as Rudy’s nightmare shoot the ball message frankly drives me nuts because most people playing either don’t get what it’s saying or ignores it. Excited to install the update to fix this rather big issue preventing normal use of it.

#2854 4 months ago
Quoted from Dreadreaper:I have the same issue as this user - my Sub is not working and I'm not sure what to connect to the "Sub" section of the speaker output board. Attaching the sub via the recommended wire does not produce any sound. Another user said they directly connected their sub to the wires with speaker wire, but that seems a like an extreme solution. Anyone know what to do here?

Thanks

See my post # 2001 https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/funhouse-20-rudy-s-nightmare?tq=sub-woofer&tu=mkdud

#2855 4 months ago

Hi dude - I went to your post and don't see any actual resolution on how to fix it, nor in any of the responses lol.

#2856 4 months ago
Quoted from Dreadreaper:

Hi dude - I went to your post and don't see any actual resolution on how to fix it, nor in any of the responses lol.

Try this link:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/funhouse-20-rudy-s-nightmare/page/41#post-7153167

#2857 4 months ago

Ive got some trade interest on my P3 bundle with a Funhouse 2.0. I'm just curious what the overal consensus is on reliability on the Funhouse 2.0 kit. Buggy or pretty stable. Thanks!

#2858 4 months ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Ive got some trade interest on my P3 bundle with a Funhouse 2.0. I'm just curious what the overal consensus is on reliability on the Funhouse 2.0 kit. Buggy or pretty stable. Thanks!

Very stable.

#2859 4 months ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

It's stable, but it is on top of a 30+ year old pin. Just make sure the machine has good bones.

#2860 4 months ago

Finally did the recent update, Rudy voice is better in now (V1.0) but I’ve lost shaker motion. In V2.0 no problem and was working in V1 fine in previous update. Anyone run into this ?

#2861 4 months ago
Quoted from bemmett:

Sorry I know it's been posted somewhere in here but getting my Funhouse with the kit installed back soon and I know it has original code it shipped with(long ago) and needs updated. Is there a good step by step on how to update everything?

Try looking at the voltages on your driver board. I had the same issue and tried different USB sticks and USB cables to the FAST CPU to no avail. On a whim, I took the driver board out of my Bride of Pinbot and put it in Funhouse and no longer did I get the USB Missing error. I ended up rebuilding the 12V section of the driver board. BR1 and C6 & 7. Seemed to do the trick. My board that was having issues worked fine in my BoP but it was stock and did not have any extra boards drawing power. Can't 100% say that was the issue, but I now have a fully working Funhouse 2.0 and Bride of Pinbot (Now Bop 2.0)

#2862 4 months ago
Quoted from FrankJ:Above was posted 56 days ago.
Any chance of an update before Christmas? Mine is pretty much unplayable with the “USB Missing” error always popping up. The game would get lots of holiday play…

Try looking at the voltages on your driver board. I had the same issue and tried different USB sticks and USB cables to the FAST CPU to no avail. On a whim, I took the driver board out of my Bride of Pinbot and put it in Funhouse and no longer did I get the USB Missing error. I ended up rebuilding the 12V section of the driver board. BR1 and C6 & 7. Seemed to do the trick. My board that was having issues worked fine in my BoP but it was stock and did not have any extra boards drawing power. Can't 100% say that was the issue, but I now have a fully working Funhouse 2.0 and Bride of Pinbot (Now Bop 2.0)

#2863 4 months ago
Quoted from Bkmccord:

New USB cable fixed my issue 55 days ago.

#2864 4 months ago
Quoted from movingpictures:

The right side of my display just took a dump. Any ideas on how to fix this? I’ve tried resetting connectors:[quoted image]

Mine just did and I bought used, did you get resolved ?

1 week later
#2865 3 months ago
Quoted from Dreadreaper:

I have the same issue as this user - my Sub is not working and I'm not sure what to connect to the "Sub" section of the speaker output board. Attaching the sub via the recommended wire does not produce any sound. Another user said they directly connected their sub to the wires with speaker wire, but that seems a like an extreme solution. Anyone know what to do here?
Thanks

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/funhouse-20-rudy-s-nightmare/page/54#post-7572917

Please see if this helps.

If you are going to use the existing cabinet speaker (please don't), be sure to cut off the cap on the speaker. You will need to run a new set of wires to the speaker as shown, unless you can figure out how to disconnect the cabinet speaker from the original Funhouse loop. Those wires are tiny and should not be used to connect audio in the first place.

#2866 3 months ago
Quoted from jedimastermatt:

Anyone aware of an update on the ball launcher? Was hopeful maybe something would be announced with Expo coming up next week.

Were there any updates of an auto-launcher for Rudy's Nightmare at Expo? Can anyone please tell me how I can order one of these, and who is making them?

Thanks in advance, mk

#2867 3 months ago
Quoted from mkdud:

Were there any updates of an auto-launcher for Rudy's Nightmare at Expo? Can anyone please tell me how I can order one of these, and who is making them?
Thanks in advance, mk

PPS is making them and is in the final stages of development.

Should be coming out doon.

#2868 3 months ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

PPS is making them and is in the final stages of development.
Should be coming out doon.

Cool. Hope everything goes according to plan.

2 weeks later
#2869 3 months ago

Any news on new updates. Hope they include power down on flipper when high scores are entered are included. Also waiting on auto launch.

#2870 3 months ago
Quoted from FrankJ:

New USB cable fixed my issue 55 days ago.

Quoted from Bkmccord:

Try looking at the voltages on your driver board.

Since the last update, I have had chronic issues with sounds, specifically Rudy's voice in 2.0 and FH. It would start out just fine. But eventually, certain portions of Rudy's talk would disappear leaving just music.

Pedretti worked with me, including sending me a new sound board, but nothing worked. They have been very supportive.

I had checked voltages on the power supply and on the CPU, including comparing the grounds between the two and got nothing out of spec. We were both completely confused.

I went back and checked again and got 5.0 V DC on the power supply / driver board. I checked the CPU test point and got 5.2 V DC. After thinking that could not be correct, I went back and checked the power supply and got 5.25. I immediately suspected the ground on the LM323 voltage regulator and started tapping it and, sure enough, the voltage went from ~5 up to 5.3 V DC.

It turned out that the nuts holding the LM323 in place were just slightly loose. I tightened them down and it fixed the problem.

There are a number of aftermarket boards that are sensitive to high voltages and apparently this is one of them. Apparently even 5.15 could cause an issue.

The original spec on the LM323 is 4.8 to 5.2. I think that Williams pulled all the 4.8 - 4.9 ones out. But if yours is running high, check the ground. The ground on the LM323 is via those screws through the back of the board to the top. Insure that there is not any oxidation on the screws or the trace. Since the trace is copper and the screws are likely steel, a bi-metal reaction could occur (guessing here), or those nuts could come loose.

If you are experiencing problems and your +5 is near 5.2 and the ground is good, your only options are to replace the LM323 or go to the EzSBC drop-in replacement that is adjustable.

IMG_2869 (resized).jpegIMG_2869 (resized).jpeg
#2871 3 months ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

So if my gate switch is not energizing what switches should I check for being stuck closed or open?

Did you get an answer on this? Or fix it?

First, I would go into the service menu and into the switch test and insure that all the switches on the ramps work. Don't use your fingers as it is possible to push those switches further down than the ball would. You will need to roll the ball up the ramp to insure that all of the switches register, including the ramp entrance. You may need to hold the diverter open to get the ball over to the left shooter.

There are six switches in all - I have no idea which one(s) are important. Ramp entrance, switch near the top of the ramp, two on the wire ramp, outlane and left shooter. Might as well test the switches on the other wire ramp.

In theory, if one of those switches never works, it should show up as a switch error. But I don't know if Rudy 2.0 has that notification. I think FH has it, but you would have to play a lot of games and never activate it for it to show up.

1 week later
#2872 84 days ago

i've only got my cabinet together waiting to do a pf swap to put the game back together. So i only have the FAST cpu and the sound card installed. it goes to update but just shows a prompt after extracting files and never gets past this screen. Does the game need to be complete for code install?

DSCN6515 (resized).JPGDSCN6515 (resized).JPG
#2873 84 days ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

i've only got my cabinet together waiting to do a pf swap to put the game back together. So i only have the FAST cpu and the sound card installed. it goes to update but just shows a prompt after extracting files and never gets past this screen. Does the game need to be complete for code install?
[quoted image]

re read the install instructions..hit the program button on the fast board

#2874 84 days ago
Quoted from monkfe:

re read the install instructions..hit the program button on the fast board

Thanks - missed that - working now!

#2875 84 days ago

Dear Pedretti. In next update can you please fix the fact that the topper flashes non stop at high frequency in Funhouse 1.0 mode? It’s very distracting.

Thanks

#2876 83 days ago
Quoted from jackd104:

Dear Pedretti. In next update can you please fix the fact that the topper flashes non stop at high frequency in Funhouse 1.0 mode? It’s very distracting.
Thanks

You have a Topper?

Which one?

#2879 83 days ago

man these have been out a while now...can't believe they haven't sold 200 of them yet....

#2880 83 days ago

Most likely because most people don't want that 'theme' on their original funhouse. I didn't put any of the new artwork on it.

That being said, I really wish we'd see some sort of code update soon. I'm half tempted to uninstall it at this point.

#2881 83 days ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I forgot they made those!
It looks really nice.

I enjoy it. Paired it with the alt backglass so it’s not so repetitive. It’s worlds better compared to what stern puts out for hundreds more

IMG_1111 (resized).pngIMG_1111 (resized).pngIMG_1112 (resized).pngIMG_1112 (resized).png
#2882 83 days ago
Quoted from Zablon:

That being said, I really wish we'd see some sort of code update soon. I'm half tempted to uninstall it at this point.

I’m ready to uninstall mine and see what the market is for a used kit - sale or trade.

#2883 83 days ago
Quoted from FrankJ:

I’m ready to uninstall mine and see what the market is for a used kit - sale or trade.

Quoted from Zablon:

Most likely because most people don't want that 'theme' on their original funhouse. I didn't put any of the new artwork on it.

Is it that bad? I don't want to change everything out if it's not worth it.

#2884 83 days ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

I think the game is good. I believe some of the complaints above are largely referring to the artwork. I personally didn't use the side blades or even the backglass sheet. I didn't want to alter my game's artwork.

I like the upgrade and the fact that you can play both original Funhouse and the new game. They do need to make some tweaks to original Funhouse to make it perfect but overall its good. It allows me to have another game in my collection without sacrificing space.

I've told any of my pinball friends who ask about the kit (which I think went for $2k USD) that I feel the kit was a bit overpriced all things considered but I don't regret buying it. I feel like they should have made some of the artwork optional to save money. I would have gladly let them keep the sideblades to save $50 or $100.

#2885 83 days ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

Updates were slow, we’ve been promised an autoplunger for a year - which the games needs 100%! Support was great early, mine had an unusual problem from the start (a bad display), they took care of it after walking me through many hoops. Sound was a continuous issue until I found a faulty cable.

To me, it still feels unfinished, but we haven’t heard anything about updates since Whirlwind 2.0 was announced - except that one is promised “soon” - but that’s been many months.

I couldn’t wait for this to come out. Now, I regret the purchase and am soured on the whole 2.0 experience.

I know this isn’t the place to advertise to sell this, but it will be gone once I get a reasonable price or trade.

#2886 83 days ago

Developers used to post here often with updates, too. It’s been crickets for a while.

#2887 83 days ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

It's not that it is bad, but as mentioned it seems unfinished. For me though the bigger issue is the sound issues on 1.0 that 'don't seem to be an issue'. It's so bad I don't even want to play it at this point. Maybe the long delay is them reworking the code for autoplunger I don't know, but it doesn't really matter how 2.0 is, 1.0 should be flawless, and it isn't.

#2888 83 days ago
Quoted from Zablon:

It's not that it is bad, but as mentioned it seems unfinished. For me though the bigger issue is the sound issues on 1.0 that 'don't seem to be an issue'. It's so bad I don't even want to play it at this point. Maybe the long delay is them reworking the code for autoplunger I don't know, but it doesn't really matter how 2.0 is, 1.0 should be flawless, and it isn't.

Last update fixed the sound issues of 1.0

#2889 83 days ago

So far I am also in the camp that the artwork isn't for me. I didn't use the blades and probably not the translite either

#2890 83 days ago

Also waiting for updates. I feel like 2.0 is fairly complete, but could use a little polish in places. I enjoy 2.0 more than the original honestly, but it also lacks that certain something and magic that's so hard to quantify and almost impossible to replicate. But I haven't ever regretted buying 2.0 or installing it and feel like it was money well spent.

A little worried that that the lack of interest (at least as I'm seeing it on pinside) in Whirlwind 2.0 shut down enthusiasm and/or funding for working on funhouse more, but... just speculation of course. I mean, I have a whirlwind and I didn't even consider another kit even though I feel funhouse 2.0 did very well meshing the artwork and modes to what was already on the playfield.

Didn't use the artblades either. lol

#2891 82 days ago
Quoted from canea:

Also waiting for updates. I feel like 2.0 is fairly complete, but could use a little polish in places. I enjoy 2.0 more than the original honestly, but it also lacks that certain something and magic that's so hard to quantify and almost impossible to replicate. But I haven't ever regretted buying 2.0 or installing it and feel like it was money well spent.
A little worried that that the lack of interest (at least as I'm seeing it on pinside) in Whirlwind 2.0 shut down enthusiasm and/or funding for working on funhouse more, but... just speculation of course. I mean, I have a whirlwind and I didn't even consider another kit even though I feel funhouse 2.0 did very well meshing the artwork and modes to what was already on the playfield.
Didn't use the artblades either. lol

I haven't followed Whirlwind (I don't own the game) but I did notice a similar kit for No Good Gophers was heavily discounted by Cointaker leading me to believe that these kits may not have a huge level of adoption. It makes me wonder if the long term sustainability of a platform like this is to make it more universal... and the software open source.

Buy one kit and move it from your Funhouse to your Addams Family, etc. Check out the latest games offered by homebrew people, etc.

I'm sure there is a licensing agreement with PPS not to do this however how cool would it be to see people tweaking Funhouse 1.0 here are there and allowing us all to have alternate versions of the game?

#2892 82 days ago
Quoted from brainmegaphone:

I haven't followed Whirlwind (I don't own the game) but I did notice a similar kit for No Good Gophers was heavily discounted by Cointaker leading me to believe that these kits may not have a huge level of adoption. It makes me wonder if the long term sustainability of a platform like this is to make it more universal... and the software open source.
Buy one kit and move it from your Funhouse to your Addams Family, etc. Check out the latest games offered by homebrew people, etc.
I'm sure there is a licensing agreement with PPS not to do this however how cool would it be to see people tweaking Funhouse 1.0 here are there and allowing us all to have alternate versions of the game?

Coming from the 'just the software' mod perspective, getting people to get new roms and put them in is a hurdle.... then, if there's anything hardware change like a new jumper for the chips, even less people do it, and if there's something like a wiring change, people just drop off like flies.

You can tweak funhouse 1.0 right now a couple ways..... the new homebrew way to do it is recreate the game using FAST and whatever framework they have available. The hurdle there is you have to recreate the game from scratch and tweak it, then make your changes. The other way is to learn 6809 coding and tweak the original like soren and others do. Even more ways would be even something else, like making your own system completely like DickHamill is doing for the older games.

Most people don't want to spend 100s of hours recreating something that's already there, and as I've said many times before... no one likes writing coin handling, audit, and housekeeping routines that 99.99% of people never see/think about. Drudge work for sure and less interesting than adding a ball saver, for instance.

#2893 82 days ago
Quoted from slochar:

Coming from the 'just the software' mod perspective, getting people to get new roms and put them in is a hurdle.... then, if there's anything hardware change like a new jumper for the chips, even less people do it, and if there's something like a wiring change, people just drop off like flies.
You can tweak funhouse 1.0 right now a couple ways..... the new homebrew way to do it is recreate the game using FAST and whatever framework they have available. The hurdle there is you have to recreate the game from scratch and tweak it, then make your changes. The other way is to learn 6809 coding and tweak the original like soren and others do. Even more ways would be even something else, like making your own system completely like DickHamill is doing for the older games.
Most people don't want to spend 100s of hours recreating something that's already there, and as I've said many times before... no one likes writing coin handling, audit, and housekeeping routines that 99.99% of people never see/think about. Drudge work for sure and less interesting than adding a ball saver, for instance.

Thank you for that really insightful post.

I was thinking that the Funhouse 2.0 platform would make software updates easier (e.g. flash the memory card) so the EPROM issue isn't there. That said, I completely understand your point that someone would have to recreate the entire game flawlessly and then start to tweak it - which means the time versus reward investment simply isn't there.

I always assumed most pinball people had some technical skills. Maybe they aren't surface mount soldering but I figured they could at least repair flippers and solder simple wires and move a jumper on a board.

Then again, much of this hobby seems to be people buying games new in box, powdercoating EVERYTHING in the game and then selling the package after only putting 50 games on it...

#2894 82 days ago

I was thinking that the Funhouse 2.0 platform would make software updates easier (e.g. flash the memory card) so the EPROM issue isn't there. That said, I completely understand your point that someone would have to recreate the entire game flawlessly and then start to tweak it - which means the time versus reward investment simply isn't there.

People with a real passion for not only the game they are recreating but for the process of recreating would tackle it. You would really need to understand every nuance of the original code behavior for sure.... sometimes requiring you to look at and understand the original code, or doing a LOT of testing of scenarios to determine the correct way to recreate it.

I always assumed most pinball people had some technical skills. Maybe they aren't surface mount soldering but I figured they could at least repair flippers and solder simple wires and move a jumper on a board.

All over the map here. Again relating to passion for learning things. For instance, myself, used to relish getting games and fixing things like boards, etc. and rebuilding everything. Now I'm older and the passion is more for the tearing apart of the software and tweaking etc. and I just simply cannot be bothered with anything requiring fixing of the boards. I'll do it if I have to, but I'm more inclined to get a replacement board and pop it in and put the other board in the cabinet "to be fixed in the future". For replacing coil drivers and connectors, sure I'll still do that.

I'll even build new boards like displays and driver boards, to keep the soldering skills (which do get better with practice for sure) - it's so nice soldering on fresh circuit boards vs. decades old ones.

Then again, much of this hobby seems to be people buying games new in box, powdercoating EVERYTHING in the game and then selling the package after only putting 50 games on it...

There's always strata of people and their skills. For instance just referencing the Dick Hammil BSOS stuff - you have to open the source file to flash it to the arduino boards, there's documentation and examples of how to change things. Some people get it and follow what's in the file; others post 'how do I change X from A to B?' and need a handholding-recipe to do it, even though it's already present in the file/documentation.

There's room for all types for sure.

#2895 82 days ago

Here’s my experience in a nutshell-

Had people over tonight to play. Addams Family, Whirlwind, Bly Playboy, Bly Strikes and Spares, GTL World Series played flawlessly.

Funhouse refused to boot -USB Missing. It has played fine since I replaced a cable. Everyone gone. Reseated all cables, game boots, but no background sounds. How the hell do people operate this on location? This has been my frustration since its’ release! I hold my breath every time I turn it on to see if I’m lucky enough to be able to play it today.

But, how the hell do you sell a $2000 boat anchor that hasn’t performed as advertised since I bought it!

#2896 81 days ago
Quoted from FrankJ:

Here’s my experience in a nutshell-
Had people over tonight to play. Addams Family, Whirlwind, Bly Playboy, Bly Strikes and Spares, GTL World Series played flawlessly.
Funhouse refused to boot -USB Missing. It has played fine since I replaced a cable. Everyone gone. Reseated all cables, game boots, but no background sounds. How the hell do people operate this on location? This has been my frustration since its’ release! I hold my breath every time I turn it on to see if I’m lucky enough to be able to play it today.
But, how the hell do you sell a $2000 boat anchor that hasn’t performed as advertised since I bought it!

Sorry to hear that. I can't say that's been my experience though. It's been stable. Just not perfected yet. I don't think your experience is common.

#2897 80 days ago

Seems to be a lot of negative comments lately in here. Mine has been solid since the last update, before that I had boot issues but not since. I think the game is 10x better than original FH. I built and installed an autoplunger and it works flawlessly, no extra coding required. Hopefully an autoplunger will be generally available for purchase for soon .

Everyone that plays it agrees that it is definitely a much better game than it was before. It certainly is not a boat anchor.

#2898 77 days ago
Quoted from Mageek:

Seems to be a lot of negative comments lately in here. Mine has been solid since the last update, before that I had boot issues but not since. I think the game is 10x better than original FH. I built and installed an autoplunger and it works flawlessly, no extra coding required. Hopefully an autoplunger will be generally available for purchase for soon .
Everyone that plays it agrees that it is definitely a much better game than it was before. It certainly is not a boat anchor.

Can you provide us with details on how you built it?

#2899 77 days ago

look at Page 55 here in this thread for some examples.
it's really not Hard to do it on your own and it is definitly a game changer!

#2900 77 days ago

I used these parts plus the Coil and the cables for example and it worked perfectly
Screenshot_20231206_224315_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20231206_224315_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20231206_224309_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20231206_224309_Chrome (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20231206_224302_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20231206_224302_Chrome (resized).jpg

Screenshot_20231206_224838_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20231206_224838_Chrome (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20231206_224850_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20231206_224850_Chrome (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
There are 3,014 posts in this topic. You are on page 58 of 61.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/funhouse-20-rudy-s-nightmare/page/58 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.