(Topic ID: 72980)

Funhouse (1990-1991) prototype machine value???

By BestShot31

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Barron
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen shot 2013-12-08 at 9.47.06 PM.png
    #1 10 years ago

I just read that the initial run of Funhouse, both domestic and international, were limited to less than 200 units. They had the high side rails, System-11 sound boards as well as Diamond coating playfields (and other differences).

The initial prototype, or what WMS called "sample games", were numbered up to 570178.

Are these initial machines more or less valuable than the subsequent manufactured machines?

#2 10 years ago

These are worth more than the subsequent machines for a few reasons. Partially because they have the diamond plate playfields which obviously don't wear as much as the subsequently produced playfields, ironically. In general, a prototype is worth more. But being that this specific prototype has the Diamond Plate playfields that the subsequent machines lacked, makes it worth more.

#3 10 years ago
    Quoted from dmklunk:

These are worth more than the subsequent machines for a few reasons. Partially because they have the diamond plate playfields which obviously don't wear as much as the subsequently produced playfields, ironically. In general, a prototype is worth more. But being that this specific prototype has the Diamond Plate playfields that the subsequent machines lacked, makes it worth more.

That's true, assuming the playfield isn't blown out, anyway. I mean DP playfields are great, but they can still get abused on location and worn beyond useful repair, anyway.

But in general you are correct...when two machines are similar in condition, the sample will be worth more than a regular production. And a true prototype even more.

--Donnie

#4 10 years ago

Reg worth bout 3500 and up in good condition so if it's in good shape 4000 and up to the right guy/gal IDE say though nothing's really diff play wise other than diamond plate and bragging rights

#5 10 years ago

The proto's have the extra target right?

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from Venom_249:

Where? I didn't know about this.

#7 10 years ago

Not sure how many had them but in the original the STEP targets were STEPS. I believe it was to the left of the hidden hallway.

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from Venom_249:

Correct. I seem to remember reading somewhere that they made about 10 of those. The extra target was between the mystery mirror and the hidden hallway.

#9 10 years ago

I've seen x570001 and it had hole for the P target filled in with a wood block as seen on the flyer. It had the DP logo but was certainly never clear coated with anything.

Screen shot 2013-12-08 at 9.47.06 PM.pngScreen shot 2013-12-08 at 9.47.06 PM.png

#10 10 years ago

Brian from HSA goes into detail of the differences on his page here:

http://www.hsapinball.com/HSA_PINBALL/Proto_Funhouse.html

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from dmklunk:

My Funhouse is a production machine and 100% has a diamond plated playfield. Some production machines did indeed have the DP.

#12 10 years ago

Brian's link was extremely informative.

Does anyone know when Williams decided to mylar the playfields instead of diamond or clear coating them?

Some of the initial Funhouse samples used the System 11 type playfields and had mylar over most of the front area, these were prior to the main production line.

A prototype service update is listed on the ipdb Funhouse page, and has a little more insight on the initial machines, serial numbered up to 570178:
    http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/966/Williams_1990_Funhouse_Prototype_Service_Update_Changes_For_Manufacturing.pdf

#13 10 years ago

I have a proto game with the STEPS. They quickly removed the target and put the plug in there because everyone bitched about the target being in the way (and they were right, hence it not making it to production). Mine had a diamondplated playfield too however the original owner (one of my co-workers at WMS) had never changed the balls ever so there were ball swirl marks and some wear on it when I got it from him. I had Bill Davis touch it up and clearcoat it a long time ago and it still looks like it just came out of the box. The protos (or at least mine) used the full WPC board set and had no System 11 anything in there and it also had those bigger side rails.

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from MXV:

The protos (or at least mine) used the full WPC board set and had no System 11 anything in there and it also had those bigger side rails.

That's how x0001 is & I don't think anyone hacked it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/funhouse-1990-1991-prototype-machine-value and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.