9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by jawjaw
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

Sorry for the OT post, but I'm wondering if one of our resident accountant / tax experts can guide me in the right direction. I held a "Flip Off Hunger" fundraiser in my basement this Saturday, and we raised $925 in donations. I added $75, and made a $1000 donation through my company's portal, so that they would match it 100%. My expenses for the event were approximately:

$250 - food, drinks & supplies
    50 - trophies
    75 - cash donation
    use of 8 pinball machines
    --------------------------------------
    $375 plus an "intangible"

Here's my question. Next year, what can I claim as my donation? Is it $1000, $375 or something else? Can I claim some value for the use of the machines and the space?

#2 9 years ago

Bump for the night accountants. BTW it's cool if I can't deduct anything. I spend $200 for most parties, and all I get is a used condom in the backyard.

#3 9 years ago

I am not an accountant but if my logic is correct you could only deduct the $375 you actually spent. The $1000 you donated wasn't really "your money" it was money from a group of people. Since that $1000 was not part of your taxable income I don't think you can use that as a donation. However the money you donated personally ($75) and the $300 you spent to collect the $1000 you donated should be able to be listed as a donation as long as you have receipts to prove it.

On the other hand if you can prove you donated $1000 you might be able to declare that full amount.

Kind of a grey area for sure. I figured if nothing else I would bump you to the top so hopefully you can get the correct answer from someone who knows.

#4 9 years ago

Thanks tmp!

#5 9 years ago

Another free bump - come on someone who knows tax code - how about a quick answer on this one for "swampfire".

#6 9 years ago

I'm far from an accountant but agree that you shouldn't claim other people's donation. I think it would be okay to deduct $375 and maybe more for any needed maintenance on the machine. The important thing would be to keep good records of everything in case you get audited. It's not a lot of money so I doubt you will get audited over it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fundraising-tax-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.