Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

045.JPG
IMG_4008.jpg
IMG_3970.jpg
IMG_3631.jpg
#1 12 years ago

Purists, look away.

In short....a red sharpie costs about $250 less than sideart.

...and I'm cheap.

If you want to see the entire, incredibly gripping album, go here: http://s852.photobucket.com/albums/ab88/pmwolf/Safecracker%20Sideart/?action=view&current=IMG_3631.jpg

There are pics of a cat for your wife to enjoy.

Pete

IMG_3631.jpgIMG_3631.jpg IMG_3970.jpgIMG_3970.jpg IMG_4008.jpgIMG_4008.jpg

#2 12 years ago

Looks good! Now get started on the other side!!

#3 12 years ago

Looks great! Would have liked to see some real close-ups, also... but I'm a big fan of inventive solutions, myself.

#4 12 years ago
Quoted from Darkslide632:

Looks great! Would have liked to see some real close-ups, also... but I'm a big fan of inventive solutions, myself.

Well, I can always get you super-close-up shots if you'd like. In the actual album, the 18th pic is pretty close. If you zoom in, you can get a good look.

If you look super closely at the machine (does not show up well on camera), you can see the very slight un-evenness from the sharpie on the really big letters...like the first "S", and the last "R." It is just too hard to get the red nice and even when you are drawing that long of a line. Still, looks great...and much better than what it was before.

Pete

#5 12 years ago

i think it looks good, i don't think there is anything wrong with sharpie (no on PF) if it's done right.

#6 12 years ago

Looks pretty good. You can hide some of that "un-evenness" by spraying the whole thing with a can of clear. That might really make the purists look away.

#7 12 years ago

Paint pens probably would have been a bit better, sharpies fade faster. Either way, it looks great.

#8 12 years ago

Looks awesome....and BTW with that pinball collection...I highly doubt you are cheap....Nice collection...I am adoptable

#9 12 years ago
Quoted from Wickedquickss:

Looks awesome....and BTW with that pinball collection...I highly doubt you are cheap....Nice collection...I am adoptable

Maybe I can afford that collection BECAUSE I'm cheap?

Hmmm...chicken or egg scenario there.

=)

I'll ask the wife if I can adopt a middle aged dude. I'm assuming she'll say no.

#10 12 years ago

nice is the side art originally red where you drew it in i am guessing? looks great now

#11 12 years ago

<blockquote
I'll ask the wife if I can adopt a middle aged dude. I'm assuming she'll say no.</blockquote
If she says yes....can my wife, 2 kids and dog come?

#12 12 years ago

Looks good. Nice collection of games. Let's see some more pics of the hole game room.

#13 12 years ago

Do you have 3! SWE1? Thats crazy!

#14 12 years ago

you have 50 pins...how can u be cheap?

#15 12 years ago

I thought the same thing mojo. Greay collection. Wow

#16 12 years ago

I like the red shading much better than the original. Really brings it out. Nice!

#17 12 years ago

Looks like you have two SWE1

#18 12 years ago

That is an incredibly huge collection..

#19 12 years ago

Good call on the sharpie too. Did the blackline shading show through? Or did you have to draw around it? Do you charge admission to your basement? I would!

#20 12 years ago

Been there seen the collection its nice, great guy
Cool Amish Elevator too
JT

#21 12 years ago

Wow phenominal collection! How the heck do you keep up with repairs?????

#22 12 years ago

Nice work, now you just need to touch up the vault knob and it will look close to original.

045.JPG045.JPG

#23 12 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

Darkslide632 said:Looks great! Would have liked to see some real close-ups, also... but I'm a big fan of inventive solutions, myself.

Well, I can always get you super-close-up shots if you'd like. In the actual album, the 18th pic is pretty close. If you zoom in, you can get a good look.
If you look super closely at the machine (does not show up well on camera), you can see the very slight un-evenness from the sharpie on the really big letters...like the first "S", and the last "R." It is just too hard to get the red nice and even when you are drawing that long of a line. Still, looks great...and much better than what it was before.
Pete

18 was a pretty good picture. I didn't enlarge it the first time around. Looks real... sharp. I assume the Sharpie gave you enough transparency that shading wasn't an issue, huh? Whereas paint pens probably would have covered it all, I bet.

#24 12 years ago

I would just like to be adopted for a long day of game playing I will even leave behind some fresh homebrew...

Looks like a nice job with the sharpie!

#25 12 years ago
Quoted from DrStarkweather:

Do you have 3! SWE1? Thats crazy!

Well, I just really love Jar Jar.

In all reality....nope. I have 1 RFM, and 2 SW:Ep1's.

Need to sell or trade one of the SW:Ep1's. No sense having two...

Pete

#26 12 years ago
Quoted from Darkslide632:

18 was a pretty good picture. I didn't enlarge it the first time around. Looks real... sharp. I assume the Sharpie gave you enough transparency that shading wasn't an issue, huh? Whereas paint pens probably would have covered it all, I bet.

Exactly correct. Sharpies allow me to use the pre-exisitng shading...and therefore are easier to work with.

#27 12 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer22:

Nice work, now you just need to touch up the vault knob and it will look close to original.

Attachments 045.JPG (161.7 KB, 0 downloads) 3 hours old

You know, I used a couple of your pics as reference...so thanks for that!

I wasn't sure what to do with the Vault Knob yet. The inside looks like a darker red...but that could just be an illusion.

There were a couple other spots that I didn't stay completely "true"...and haven't decided if I want to proceed, or just be happy that it looks much nicer than it did. (Don't want to run the risk of screwing it up by being too fancy).

Pete

#28 12 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I would just like to be adopted for a long day of game playing I will even leave behind some fresh homebrew...
Looks like a nice job with the sharpie!

Any time you are in the area, you are certainly welcome to drop by for a visit!

#29 12 years ago

Wolf,

nice job. Looks like much better result than the previous owner of my JM. He/she colored in all of the red fade, and you can see every single line.

So, does your SC have all of the funky tokens?

Later,
EV

#30 12 years ago

Got nothin to lose, can always put on art, looks good to me, at least better than it did right?

1 month later
#31 12 years ago

BUMP

I'm tempted to do this myself on my Doctor Who. Can you tell me what kind of Sharpie you used and if you prepared the cab in any special way?

#32 12 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

Wickedquickss said:Looks awesome....and BTW with that pinball collection...I highly doubt you are cheap....Nice collection...I am adoptable
Maybe I can afford that collection BECAUSE I'm cheap?
Hmmm...chicken or egg scenario there.
=)

If I adopt anyone with a collection that big they are going to need to come with carpenters or heated storage. =-)

#33 12 years ago

I can tell you Pete's collection is amazing!

#34 12 years ago

.. Get new decals or at least word up a Graphic Designer.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 37.50
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

8,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Montréal, QC
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Richfield, MI
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

9,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Royal Oak, MI
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fun-with-sharpiesand-a-safecracker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.