Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 54 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by mcluvin
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

A70AF553-88AC-4BA6-9619-71DD7578694F (resized).jpeg
    wall2 (resized).JPG
    wall1 (resized).JPG
    tspbleach (resized).JPG
    pasted_image (resized).png
    predarac (resized).PNG
    a3143861c377_4360.gif
    1DFA4413-2BED-47FE-8AC9-F68EBA22A035 (resized).jpeg
    27EBE5BF-D75F-4CBF-B267-8E054D9C8ED8 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5863 (resized).JPG
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_5800 (resized).JPG
    3462EB23-970A-42D3-890B-61E9E39A1F11 (resized).jpeg
    deck after (resized).jpg
    deck before (resized).jpg
    IMG_5515 (resized).JPG
    There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 3 years ago

A few weeks ago, I bought my first pressure washer. A Ryobi unit for $100. Never had one before. Never used one before. I moved into my house in '02, and didn't realize until now how much it needed it.

I spray with the max pressure nozzle on the sidewalk, and now it's changed color.

I spray my brown/green stained wooden stairs to my garage, and now they are the original wood color.

I spray the awning(lower pressure) of my house, and it was raining dirt & moss. Some paint came off down to the fiberglass, but I'm going to repaint it anyway.

The difference is truly night & day.

I think the water runoff to the lawn has made the grass grow better too.

#2 3 years ago

Power washing is one of the true joys of home ownership as the fruits of your labor are immediate and obvious.

#3 3 years ago

They are great, on my 4th one in the last 20 years. I use one in my home repair business often refinishing decks. I've had people think the deck was already stained after cleaning off a decade of crud and then using a chemical cleaner to brighten the wood.

Two tips, do not leave it in a unheated area in the winter. Water inside will freeze and crack the pump. Also hook up the water line up before plugging it in. Then open the wand and let water shoot out for 1-2 minutes before you plug it in. That gets water into the pump and also discharges air. The unit will last longer as the biggest reason for motor failure is overheating.

#4 3 years ago

they are fun to see the results. be careful on using it with the machine in the grass if it is a gas one. Mine would burn circles in the grass from the pump getting hot.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

They are great, on my 4th one in the last 20 years. I use one in my home repair business often refinishing decks. I've had people think the deck was already stained after cleaning off a decade of crud and then using a chemical cleaner to brighten the wood.
    Two tips, do not leave it in a unheated area in the winter. Water inside will freeze and crack the pump. Also hook up the water line up before plugging it in. Then open the wand and let water shoot out for 1-2 minutes before you plug it in. That gets water into the pump and also discharges air. The unit will last longer as the biggest reason for motor failure is overheating.

Good tip!

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Pics or it didn't happen

The top of the stairs was a combination of black & brown colored before I pressure washed it.

IMG_20200716_190311 (resized).jpgIMG_20200716_190311 (resized).jpg
    #8 3 years ago

add 20% pool shock to your tank and you'll really see a difference in your siding and sidewalks. spray on lightly let sit 5 then rinse, wont even need high pressure..........pro tip.

#9 3 years ago

I have pressure washer weekend once a year.

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Pics or it didn't happen

I should’ve taken pics. They looked like mini crop circles

#11 3 years ago

But what rated psi pressure washers are you using?

#12 3 years ago

I fire up my pressure washer at least once a month. Being close to water I have lots of things to clean all the time. I bought a 3000 PSI Craftsman that has idle down (when you release the trigger, the motor idles down). Makes it a lot quieter and doesn't burn as much gas. Guaranteed to start on the first pull and you just top off the oil. Have been beyond happy with this compared to the electrics I had for the previous house. Around 400 bucks at Lowes and worth its weight in gold.

#13 3 years ago

Purchased this not too long ago. Pleased so far. Middle of the road pressure washer. Think the price has gone up.

9DCDED44-1C9A-424B-9016-0E4364531AFB (resized).jpeg9DCDED44-1C9A-424B-9016-0E4364531AFB (resized).jpeg
    #14 3 years ago

I have a cheapie electric that I use for my decks and vinyl fences. It's awesome and theraputic.

#15 3 years ago

I've got a Generac. It works well when it works, but I don't do a lot of pressure washing. I let it sit for about a year with gas in it. Gummed up the carb (my fault), but also caused whatever was lining the inside of the gas tank to lose adhesion. I've never seen that before.

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

I've got a Generac. It works well when it works, but I don't do a lot of pressure washing. I let it sit for about a year with gas in it. Gummed up the carb (my fault), but also caused whatever was lining the inside of the gas tank to lose adhesion. I've never seen that before.

If you use that clear gas you can leave it in there. Won't gum up.

#17 3 years ago

I'm at 1600 PSI(or was it 1900?). I can't imagine needing any more pressure, for it would start to damage to the house instead of cleaning it.

#18 3 years ago

I've had gas powered units in the past but now use electric powered. I use a Ryobi 2K psi model that's about $275. My deck refinishing clients like electric models, quieter and when they have windows open, no fumes in the home. I have ran my current one at least 300 hours a year over the last 3 years and she's still running strong. Light weight in and out of the truck too. If it lasts two years, I'm happy with refinishing 8-10 decks a season plus siding and sidewalk jobs. I use a cloth tie to hold the handle locked down because the spring tension gets tough on the hand after holding it for an hour straight. I usually give it a 15 minute rest every hour to let the motor cool.

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from s1500:

I can't imagine needing any more pressure, for it would start to damage to the house instead of cleaning it.

Higher PSI models move move water with the right nozzle (assuming you have good water supply), just keep the wand tip further away to avoid damage. A 2K unit can etch wood with a pinpoint tip, so tip size is key to getting good results.

#20 3 years ago

Here is a random before/after I took visiting my ma's house with my electric 2300 PSI. Get's the job done.

IMG_5514 (resized).JPGIMG_5514 (resized).JPGIMG_5515 (resized).JPGIMG_5515 (resized).JPG
    #21 3 years ago

Deck before

deck before (resized).jpgdeck before (resized).jpg
    #23 3 years ago

Couldn’t live without one.

3462EB23-970A-42D3-890B-61E9E39A1F11 (resized).jpeg3462EB23-970A-42D3-890B-61E9E39A1F11 (resized).jpeg
    #24 3 years ago

Any tips for a two story house? I‘be seen extension kits for the wand.. is that the way to go?

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

Any tips for a two story house? I‘be seen extension kits for the wand.. is that the way to go?

You'd probably need a fancy washer for that. For some perspective, my washer has no effect on anything about 12 to 14 inches away from surface. Depending on what you are needing to clean on the side of your house, you might try adding a cleaning agent to your garden hose. If you have vinyl siding you also want to minimize your PSI which could otherwise damage the siding.

Here's what I use and gets all the dirt off my gutters and siding in hard to reach places. (plugs in line with your garden hose only)

IMG_5800 (resized).JPGIMG_5800 (resized).JPG
    #26 3 years ago

I bought the 1750psi electric one from harbor freight that was 99.99

1 week later
    #27 3 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

Two tips, do not leave it in a unheated area in the winter. Water inside will freeze and crack the pump.

This is a key tip! The most important component is not the engine, its the pump. Cheaper units use a wobble (electric ones mostly) or an axial cam pump, better units use a triplex. Regardless, the pump is going to go out before the engine pretty much every time.

Also, using detergent first as mentioned is more than twice as effective in my experience.

#28 3 years ago

If one is trying to clean more delicate, hard to reach, or less work, we use Wet and Forget Extensively.....Roofs, Driveways, Walls. Used at Disney, Seaworld etc. Really great Product!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #29 3 years ago

Use a Yamaha purchased new. Few tips with gas PW;
    Run all gas out of carb before storing. Serious.
    Use gas mixed with a small amount of Seafoam.
    If instructions say to not use Bleach in detergent dispenser take it serious. Pool chemicals are Chlorine.

#30 3 years ago

A new pressure washer is the only thing I want for Christmas.... Hope Santa reads pinside.

#31 3 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

If one is trying to clean more delicate, hard to reach, or less work, we use Wet and Forget Extensively.....Roofs, Driveways, Walls. Used at Disney, Seaworld etc. Really great Product![quoted image]

I love this product for the shower. I grab the vanilla scented one designed specifically for the shower. Spray on the floor and walls on the weekend keeps it looking like new. I also use the aforementioned solution in some shaded areas of my house.

#32 3 years ago

Had the pressure washer out again today to clean up the natural gas grill. Had some crud built up around the edges that I wanted to blast out. I was impressed on the results around the stainless steel grates. Generally speaking high pressure alone doesn't cut grease as well as some detergents but got some good flakes off the lid too.

IMG_5863 (resized).JPGIMG_5863 (resized).JPG
    #33 3 years ago

Busted mine out yesterday too. Went out and bought the surface cleaner attachment to do the driveway. Man am I glad I did. 5 hour job turned into 1 1/2 with that. First is before second is after. Hard to tell in the pic but in person it’s a night and day difference

27EBE5BF-D75F-4CBF-B267-8E054D9C8ED8 (resized).jpeg27EBE5BF-D75F-4CBF-B267-8E054D9C8ED8 (resized).jpeg1DFA4413-2BED-47FE-8AC9-F68EBA22A035 (resized).jpeg1DFA4413-2BED-47FE-8AC9-F68EBA22A035 (resized).jpeg
    1 month later
    #34 3 years ago

Gotta get my pressure washer up and running fast and I've pretty much nuked my gas tank. Generac wants ~$100 for just the tank with none of the other stuff that goes on the tank. For ~$30, I could try a Chinese copy that may or may not fit and be just as poorly made. I though HF sold tanks but they don't. Then I happened upon their small engines. Apparently most small engines are copies of a Honda design. I know the Generac is. There are tons of happy reviewers who fixed their pressure washers by installing a Predator engine. So for ~$100 after coupon, I get a new gas tank with the new engine and don't have to worry about rebuilding my carb. Wish me luck!

#35 3 years ago
    a3143861c377_4360.gifa3143861c377_4360.gif
    #36 3 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Gotta get my pressure washer up and running fast and I've pretty much nuked my gas tank. Generac wants ~$100 for just the tank with none of the other stuff that goes on the tank. For ~$30, I could try a Chinese copy that may or may not fit and be just as poorly made. I though HF sold tanks but they don't. Then I happened upon their small engines. Apparently most small engines are copies of a Honda design. I know the Generac is. There are tons of happy reviewers who fixed their pressure washers by installing a Predator engine. So for ~$100 after coupon, I get a new gas tank with the new engine and don't have to worry about rebuilding my carb. Wish me luck!

Those Predator HB engines are scarce around here and in demand. Not sure if China made goods are being held up or whats happening.
    Did you get the newer version or the "Hemi"? I really don't think theres much difference but the go-cart guys demand the Hemi version.

#37 3 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

Those Predator HB engines are scarce around here and in demand. Not sure if China made goods are being held up or whats happening.
    Did you get the newer version or the "Hemi"? I really don't think theres much difference but the go-cart guys demand the Hemi version.

It's the newer version. For my purposes, I'll take reliability over modability I just hope it fits and isn't too much of a pain in the ass.

The more I read about the engines, the more I want to build a go-kart though

#38 3 years ago

Perfect fit! Doing a 3 hour break-in then going to install the pump, but the fittings are exactly the same.

The Predarac!

predarac (resized).PNGpredarac (resized).PNG

5 months later
    #39 3 years ago

Have any of you tried th home-made recipe for 30 Second Cleaner? It's supposedly 5-6% bleach + 2% TSP.

#40 3 years ago

Chlorine isn't recommended through pressure washers even though people do it all the time.
    I love real TSP but its getting a little harder the find, phosphates are under scrutiny. Never tried it through a PW.
    Would love to find a substitute for the high dollar "Approved" cleaners.
    Need to find the MSDS for one of those like Lowes sells, even with proprietary ingredients I could figure out whats in it.

#41 3 years ago

This is the best attachment for concrete driveways, patios, walkways. Works amazingly well and you can do large areas fast. Highly recommended!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #42 3 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

Chlorine isn't recommended through pressure washers even though people do it all the time.
    I love real TSP but its getting a little harder the find, phosphates are under scrutiny. Never tried it through a PW.
    Would love to find a substitute for the high dollar "Approved" cleaners.
    Need to find the MSDS for one of those like Lowes sells, even with proprietary ingredients I could figure out whats in it.

This would be a spray-on and then scrub or pressure wash sort of thing. I get 6% bleach for ~$2.50 per gallon and 4 1/2 pounds of TSP powder for ~$9.50. I mixed 3 quarts hot water with 1 cup of TSP then added 1 quart of bleach. This is what it did to my dirty grout within seconds of quick scrubbing with a toothbrush. The camera picks up every flaw. It really looks even better to my eyes.

tspbleach (resized).JPGtspbleach (resized).JPG

Quoted from ibuypinballs:

This is the best attachment for concrete driveways, patios, walkways. Works amazingly well and you can do large areas fast. Highly recommended!

That will pay for itself in time and water savings...

#43 3 years ago

Good to see this thread going again. Spring is almost here in MN. Mom wants me to stop over at her house and power wash the foundation because she wants to repaint it. I was a little kid when it was first painted....and now it's all old and flaking apart. Sigh....time doesn't wait for anyone.

Will post pics when I start hopefully in a couple weeks.

My large garbage bins and recycling containers inside can definitely use a spring cleaning too via pressure washer.

#44 3 years ago

Started working on the north side of my house. This is the same mix I used on the tile. I applied with a gallon sprayer, then let sit for a few minutes before a light scrubbing with a soft brush and final rinse.

Anybody got a tip for removing these dead vines? They always want to leave a little something stuck to the wall.

wall1 (resized).JPGwall1 (resized).JPG

wall2 (resized).JPGwall2 (resized).JPG

#45 3 years ago

Just a reminder, ALWAYS run the PW out of gas before storing. A teaspoon of Seafoam in each tank of gas helps too. The carbs on most of these thing have microscopic jets and will gum up at the drop of the hat and are nearly impossible to clean afterwards.
    The replacement Mikuni carb on mine was 150 bucks, luckily I found an off brand on eBay for 40 that worked.
    Otherwise planned to replace the still-nearly new Yamaha engine with a 99 buck Predator.
    I like the fact it has a Caterpillar pump but otherwise this Yamaha can't be recommended.
    On/off switch broke after two uses.
    The adjustable spray tip flew off under pressure, Dealer gave me another one and it did the same thing.
    All of the pump head bolts came loose and had to be re-tourqed.
    Then the carb gummed up( may have been my fault).
    The Yamaha Engine looks like a Predator anyway with a better muffler.

#46 3 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

Just a reminder, ALWAYS run the PW out of gas before storing. A teaspoon of Seafoam in each tank of gas helps too. The carbs on most of these thing have microscopic jets and will gum up at the drop of the hat and are nearly impossible to clean afterwards.
    The replacement Mikuni carb on mine was 150 bucks, luckily I found an off brand on eBay for 40 that worked.
    Otherwise planned to replace the still-nearly new Yamaha engine with a 99 buck Predator.
    I like the fact it has a Caterpillar pump but otherwise this Yamaha can't be recommended.
    On/off switch broke after two uses.
    The adjustable spray tip flew off under pressure, Dealer gave me another one and it did the same thing.
    All of the pump head bolts came loose and had to be re-tourqed.
    Then the carb gummed up( may have been my fault).
    The Yamaha Engine looks like a Predator anyway with a better muffler.

I used to drain the gas out of all the small engines I have. I found that if you use the ethanol free "clear" gas they don't gum up.

#47 3 years ago

I’ve got a roughly 8 year old Craftsman mower with a Briggs motor that I totally abuse. Ethanol gas, sits for months, it doesn’t matter. Starts right up by second pull. Most motors I can’t get away with this. What is the diff?

#48 3 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

I’ve got a roughly 8 year old Craftsman mower with a Briggs motor that I totally abuse. Ethanol gas, sits for months, it doesn’t matter. Starts right up by second pull. Most motors I can’t get away with this. What is the diff?

The jets in CARB-compliant engines are microscopic compared to a Briggs. Why I'm not sure, perhaps they run lean to produce less smog.
    I still use several old cast-iron Briggs and love them.

#49 3 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

The jets in CARB-compliant engines are microscopic compared to a Briggs. Why I'm not sure, perhaps they run lean to produce less smog.
    I still use several old cast-iron Briggs and love them.

Gotcha, that makes sense. Sounds kinda like what they do with chain saw motors. Though with those, they restrict air intake. You can just drill more holes in the restricter to get around that though.

1 week later
    #50 3 years ago

I borrowed my neighbor's gas powered pressure washer to clean my concrete patio. It did a great job. The pressure washer was sitting in my driveway while I worked, and I suddenly wondered why I smelled burning plastic. Turns out the exhaust of the washer was right in front of my wife's minivan, and I burned a hole through the front bumper. D'oh

There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fun-with-pressure-washers?hl=phil-lee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.