Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by paulace
  • Topic is favorited by 16 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Transformer 3 (resized).jpg
    Transformer 2 (resized).jpg
    Transformer 1 (resized).jpg
    Horse_Racing_sm_(resized).jpg
    RunningMan0646_(resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

I've recently started putting together a website to document some of the EM pinball related stuff I've been building for Maker Faires for a while now. The idea is to use pinball to get people interested in how things work. It's been fairly popular at the Faires. I hope some of you enjoy it too.

Here's a sample:

The Baseball GameThe Baseball Game

http://markgibson.zenfolio.com/fun-with-pinball

/Mark

#2 7 years ago

Checked out the website... those displays look super cool. Nice work! In an age were everything happens on microchips, it's cool to show people the old school switches, relays, etc. that used to make things work.

#3 7 years ago

Very Nice. Harry Williams would have been proud.

#4 7 years ago

Wonderfully Impressive! and done so with care to share!

What a great exhibit for any pin show, science center, or school!

I respect the selfless hours you have spent, so others might enjoy.

#5 7 years ago

The Atomic Pinball clock is way cool!

#6 7 years ago

That's an awesome site. And the videos are clear, crisp, and well-made. Good job.

#7 7 years ago

Well done and very cool!
    Thanks.

#8 7 years ago

Thanks for the kind words. They're very much appreciated.
    One section of the website features a few original games built from scratch like this one:

The Horse Racing GameThe Horse Racing Game

They're not typical pinball machines, but they are built from EM pinball parts to show how they work together. There's also a video for each game showing details and how it's played.

/Mark

#9 7 years ago

Really cool website! Love those isolated pinball gadgets and the Atomic Pinball Clock is way cool!

2 months later
    #10 7 years ago

I've added a bunch of new video to my web site. Now every piece from the exhibit has a demonstration video. Some are simple demonstrations of how the thing works; others are more in depth to explain what's going on with slow motion, annotation, etc. (like the flippers, pop bumper and score motor videos).

http://markgibson.zenfolio.com/fun-with-pinball

More to come...

/Mark

#11 7 years ago

Very cool and informative site!

#12 7 years ago

I wonder if this should be an EM sticky? The videos explaining things like the score motor are invaluable for newbies like me.

Mark - you are a very smart guy!

#13 7 years ago

Mark,I appreciate the work you have done,incredible! This should be a sticky at the uppermost. I will spend many hours reading and observing your work.

#14 7 years ago

Thanks for the feedback and for taking the time to look through the site. It's a little bit out in the weeds from the pinball main stream but I'm glad some find it interesting.

/Mark

2 months later
    #15 7 years ago

Very interesting work and an excellent resource, Mark. Might you be located near Dallas, TX? I founded a pinball/arcade committee at the Dallas Makerspace called VECTOR... this is exactly the sort of thing we do & are interested in promoting. Would love to feature you as a guest presenter!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/DMS.VECTOR/
    https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/VECTOR_Committee

#16 7 years ago

Mark brought a killer display to PPE 16 this year. All of the contraptions were so very cool, but I loved the baseball one the most! So fun and so groovy. I had a blast checking shtuff out!

#17 7 years ago

This is really great info .... Good job!!!!

2 months later
    #18 7 years ago

For future reference I sprung for the domain name to avoid the clunky URL. You can now find it with more new content at

www.funwithpinball.com

For those who are unfamiliar, highlights of the website are at:

www.funwithpinball.com/highlights

/Mark

#20 7 years ago

Very cool! I love watching the videos showing what they're doing.

1 week later
    #21 7 years ago

Mark, I've been going through your site and enjoying it and have a couple of questions about it.

Are you using a transformer that I don't see in the videos? I'm also seeing fuses but what is the other black box, a way to connect wires?

Thanks,
    Bruce

#22 7 years ago

Hi Bruce.

Thanks for going through the website. All of the small boards and games are powered by EM pinball transformers that are either off camera or hidden behind other, more interesting mechanisms. The clock has a transformer added in the head to drive the EM devices and a wall wart to drive the arduino.

All of the small boards have a screw terminal block in each of the back corners. 24v and 6v busses run between the terminal blocks on each board with fuses for the devices on the board. A pair of 2 conductor wires runs off the board from the back left corner to connect to the neighboring board. The idea is that each of the small boards is self contained and modular so they can be strung together in any order in an arbitrarily long string. On one end is a transformer with a matching terminal block that drives power to the whole string.

Here's a closer look at one board tied to a transformer.

Transformer 1 (resized).jpgTransformer 1 (resized).jpg
    Transformer 2 (resized).jpgTransformer 2 (resized).jpg
    Transformer 3 (resized).jpgTransformer 3 (resized).jpg

When they're set up at a Maker Faire or other venue I usually string 4-6 boards together on each transformer, depending on the layout of the tables. The modular design allows me to group them any way I want, or to remove one if there's a problem. If you do an image search on google for "fun with pinball" (in quotes) you'll find photos of what it looks like in public.

The games all have their own transformers built into the game. In fact the horse race and baseball games each have two transformers because I need 6v, 24v and 50v to drive parts from various manufacturers. Each of the games also has a terminal block so I can drive some of the small boards from them if I need to.

/Mark

#23 7 years ago

Hi Mark.

That is so cool. Hopefully I can see them in person someday.

It would be fun to create Rube Goldbergesque devices with these pinball parts.

I remember the school science projects where we would take the crank from an old wall telephone and wire a light bulb to it so it would light up when you cranked it.

Thanks for the explanation and photos. I'm going through your site little by little and enjoying it even though I already know how the parts work.

Bruce

6 years later
    #24 10 months ago

As part of my recent trip to the Northwest Pinball and Arcade Show I gave a seminar about the Fun With Pinball back story. For those who might want a little context:

/Mark

1 week later
    #25 10 months ago

I loved hearing you describe your engineering/teaching/pinball journey, Mark. We're lucky to have someone in the pinball community who enjoys teaching so much; both teaching what he knows, and teaching others how to approach and think their way through their own electro-mechanical problems. I know that over the years, I've learned a lot from you just watching how you explain the solution to a problem, and it's helped me solve some of my own pinball problems calmly (well, reasonably calmly) and logically. I imagine you could be doing alot of things with your talents - I'm grateful that you're spending your time helping us understand these machines we love.

Nice to see TimMe make an appearance at the end too!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fun-with-pinball-website and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.