42793A6C-33FB-4E03-95C1-2B60B24D4172 (resized).jpeg
D86C60F7-EBA4-4C2C-BE56-5F265258852C (resized).jpeg
IMG_3045_(resized).JPG
IMG_3040_(resized).JPG
IMG_3038_(resized).JPG
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
There are 93 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 6 years ago

Thanks! Picking up two more gallons because that's cheapest I e ever seen it.

#52 6 years ago

I actually thought that cleaning vinegar (6% acidity) worked just as good if not better than Evaporust and it's MUCH cheaper.

http://www.heinzvinegar.com/products-cleaning-vinegar.aspx

#53 6 years ago
Quoted from tengle93:

I actually thought that cleaning vinegar (6% acidity) worked just as good if not better than Evaporust and it's MUCH cheaper.

Ahhh good to know.

#54 6 years ago
Quoted from tengle93:

So you're saying this vinegar will work as well as Evaporust?

#55 6 years ago

Yep, pretty close to the same result I thought. Did some legs and they came out great! And as a bonus they smell great too, lol

#56 6 years ago
Quoted from tengle93:

Cool, good to know! Never knew that existed.

Did you use the pvc pipe approach? If so, how long did you need to soak for?

#57 6 years ago

OK wait a second - so you're saying that vinegar is the same as buying expensive evaporust? I just find it hard to be believe but would be happy to be wrong of course

(We're talking about dissolving all rust here not wiping something clean)

#58 6 years ago
Quoted from pincity:

Cool, good to know! Never knew that existed.
Did you use the pvc pipe approach? If so, how long did you need to soak for?

Yes, used the PVC pipe. They sat in there a few days, 3-4 I believe.

Quoted from spinal:

OK wait a second - so you're saying that vinegar is the same as buying expensive evaporust? I just find it hard to be believe but would be happy to be wrong of course
(We're talking about dissolving all rust here not wiping something clean)

Yea it worked well. Now did it remove severely pitted legs, no but Evaporust doesn't do that either. Give it a try, what could you lose $4.

#59 6 years ago
Quoted from tengle93:

Yep, pretty close to the same result I thought. Did some legs and they came out great! And as a bonus they smell great too, lol

I haven't heard it from anyone here, but someone told me that Evaporust has an off putting odor, kind of like puke.
Is this true?

#60 6 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

I haven't heard it from anyone here, but someone told me that Evaporust has an off putting odor, kind of like puke.
Is this true?

I don't think so. It does have a slight "vinegar-y" smell but overall it's not bad at all.

#61 6 years ago

Agree, evaporust smell not that bad compared to other cleaners and doesn't smell like vomit to me. But I'm using it to clean stuff not serve to guests

I have used it recently (4" pipe like everyone else) for lockdown bars, lockdown receivers and other parts and the results are just amazing! Depending on amount of rust I either put in for 12 or 24 hours but often less time for smaller parts. So easy - I'm very impressed at the results.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg
image.jpegimage.jpeg
image.jpegimage.jpeg

1 month later
#62 6 years ago

Tried this on the absolute worst leg I could find. The rust is gone. It cleaned up the leg leveler too which was previously frozen. This stuff makes me think that I should be careful when throwing away anything that seems too rusty

I'll use the leg on the back.

thumbnail_20180317_132136%5b1%5d (resized).jpgthumbnail_20180317_132136%5b1%5d (resized).jpg

thumbnail_20180319_200112%5b1%5d (resized).jpgthumbnail_20180319_200112%5b1%5d (resized).jpg

thumbnail_20180319_200045%5b1%5d (resized).jpgthumbnail_20180319_200045%5b1%5d (resized).jpg

20180317_132203%5b1%5d (resized).jpg20180317_132203%5b1%5d (resized).jpg

#63 6 years ago

I am wondering if you guys ever strain solution or clean the pipes. Does a sludge form?

#64 6 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

I am wondering if you guys ever strain solution or clean the pipes. Does a sludge form?

I have three containers to hold the evaporust-100mm pipe for legs; 150mm pipe for lockdown receivers & a rectangular container for coin doors. Each time I move the evaporust I leave a small portion in a container bottom, which is sludgy, for disposal. Also normally retain the evaporust in the pipe with a sealed lid to prevent entry of contaminents & evaporation. Overall only limited amount of residue needs to be disposed in my experience. But evaporust IMO is a fantastic product.

#65 6 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

coffee filters work great. Yes you should strain it, but all of the liquid can be reused

#66 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

coffee filters work great. Yes you should strain it, but all of the liquid can be reused

Yes, eventually a sludge is formed of old rust particles from the de-rusting process. Definitely pour it through some coffee filters every so often to filter out the crap. The effectiveness of the Evapo-Rust can diminish when it gets clogged with rust particles, so filter it. You can reuse the Evapo-Rust solution hundreds of times. Remember, Evapo-Rust is temperature sensitive. It works best and fastest at temperatures above 65 degrees. I like to use it on those summer days where it's around 80 degrees outside. You can do a set of legs in two hours that way.

#67 6 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

It works best and fastest at temperatures above 65 degrees. I like to use it on those summer days where it's around 80 degrees outside.

Can't you use it inside your house?

#68 6 years ago

Evapo-Rust is on sale right now at Pep-Boys for $14.99 gallon. I just wanted to pass this along. I picked up 2 gallons.

https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/206426/00202?quantity=1

#69 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballFever:

Can't you use it inside your house?

Yes, absolutely you can use it inside the house. No problems and no smell.

#70 6 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

Generally a minimum of 24 hours.
My games are in my finished basement. It's not particularly humid down there, as I run a woodstove all winter (dries out the air) and a de-humidifier all summer. Maybe that accounts for it, but I've got parts that I did four years ago on games, and the rust has never come back.

#71 6 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

Evapo-Rust is on sale right now at Pep-Boys for $14.99 gallon. I just wanted to pass this along. I picked up 2 gallons.
https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/206426/00202?quantity=1

Thanks for the heads up. Bought some yesterday.

#72 6 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

That's also a very good reason to do at least a quick cleaning (I use naptha) before soaking to get rid of any contaminants like paint, varnish and grease. Also the lint that builds up on the bottom where the leveler goes thru. If you can remove the old levelers first, you aren't wasting it on a part that will be replaced.

#73 6 years ago

How long does it take for the Evaporust to do it's work?

I have coin chutes soaking in it over 48 hours and I'm still seeing some rust. Am I supposed to take the coin chutes out and scrub the rust off or brush it off?

#74 6 years ago

I have coin chutes soaking in it over 48 hours and I'm still seeing some rust. Am I supposed to take the coin chutes out and scrub the rust off or brush it off?

It's temperature dependent. If less than 65 degrees, it's takes longer. So the warmer the solution is, the faster it works.

Also, any oil or grease on the parts block the chemical action of the Evapo-Rust.

#75 6 years ago

Ah! Ok it's inside so it's at room temperature.

I didn't realize oil/grease would do that. Will make a note going forward to clean them first.

#76 6 years ago

I use that Metal Rescue and it also works better at room temp. Love this stuff!

#77 6 years ago

If you're in a rush, take out, scrub off rust and soak again otherwise heavy rust should eventually dissolve if you wait long enough.

#78 6 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

If you're in a rush, take out, scrub off rust and soak again otherwise heavy rust should eventually dissolve if you wait long enough.

I took them out and scrubbed them with the evaporust then put them back in. There was some gum and other stuff on them that I'll clean off when done.

Do you dry them out with paper towels when done or wash them with soap and water then wax them? These are 60's Gottlieb coin chutes.

#79 6 years ago

Do you dry them out with paper towels when done or wash them with soap and water then wax them? These are 60's Gottlieb coin chutes.

You take the items out of the Evapo-Rust and immediately rinse them off with water. I like to then spray them with Mean Green (or other household cleaner), scrub and rinse again. Then immediately dry them with paper towels or a hair dryer.

#80 6 years ago

I rinse well with water, towel dry and then wax. I found that if I didn't wax right away rust would begin to appear on some parts.

1 week later
#81 6 years ago

Thanks for the tips. I notice that the evaporust seems to stain the metal if I leave it in for a long time.

Has that happened to you? Is the stain permanent or removable with some kind of polish?

#82 6 years ago

Yes, that will happen if you leave it in too long. 24 hours is about all

#83 6 years ago

Thanks for the tips. I notice that the evaporust seems to stain the metal if I leave it in for a long time.
Has that happened to you? Is the stain permanent or removable with some kind of polish?

But shouldn't be permanent. Should buff out with metal polish.

#84 6 years ago

I'll try that. This is minor because these were extra coin chutes that I was testing with and won't be visible inside the game.

Should I dump the evaporust that was used or is it still usable? It's fairly dark.

#85 6 years ago

Should be able to pour it back through a paper coffee filter and re-use quite a few times.

#86 6 years ago

Just my luck that I'm an instant coffee drinker. I'll find something to strain it with.

#87 6 years ago

Just my luck that I'm an instant coffee drinker. I'll find something to strain it with.

They will sell you coffee filters at the store even if you don't buy coffee. Swear!

#88 6 years ago
Quoted from SirScott:

They will sell you coffee filters at the store even if you don't buy coffee. Swear!

DollarTree! Guess how much a pack of coffee filters and a set of 3 funnels cost!

#89 6 years ago

anybody know if that white stuff ("white rust" / "storage stain") that seems to grow on old metal parts will come off with evaporust? I have not been successful in polishing it off but don't want to get too crazy with the sandpaper

#90 6 years ago

That's likely zinc oxide. Several ways to deal with it. Evaporust is one. Another is to clean/neutralize with a CLR type product. (I do that on Jones plugs that can't be removed easily using q-tips. Second round with a mild cleaner) Smaller parts can also be put in an ultrasonic cleaner.

#91 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

anybody know if that white stuff ("white rust" / "storage stain") that seems to grow on old metal parts will come off with evaporust? I have not been successful in polishing it off but don't want to get too crazy with the sandpaper

Yup. CLR works great and gets that fuzz off fast!

#92 6 years ago

Yes, I can confirm that CLR works great for that white stuff - better and faster than evaporust for sure.

#93 6 years ago

Thanks guys, I will try that!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 93 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fun-with-evaporust/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.