9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Brtlkat
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2014-12-20 23.51.59.jpg
    2014-12-21 11.21.43.jpg
    2014-12-20 23.52.11.jpg

#1 9 years ago

I've always been curious about virtual pinball. It's kinda fun on the PC or a phone. It seems like once people go through the trouble of building the full cabs they either never finish them or sell them quickly. I decided to go half way. I had a spare 32" LCD and a nice spot behind the bar.

This is still a work in progress but the idea is to have this be a multi use set up. I will have the pinball controller with the TV in portrait, and rotate the monitor and use Xbox 360 controllers for console emulation and Steam games. I still need to find a way to mount my swivel stand, space is limited. Right now I'm manually rotating it, which sounds and looks awful, but only takes a second.

The controller needs a couple tweaks but other than nudge, it's fully working. It's the Virtuapin plunger kit and spare parts I had lying around.

Currently Pinball FX 2 and Pinball Arcade are working nicely. I haven't messed with Virtual Pinball or PinMame yet. In the past I've had zero success and 100% frustration with those. If anyone can point me to a good set up guide, or something better I'm all ears.

2014-12-20 23.52.11.jpg2014-12-20 23.52.11.jpg 2014-12-21 11.21.43.jpg2014-12-21 11.21.43.jpg 2014-12-20 23.51.59.jpg2014-12-20 23.51.59.jpg
    #3 9 years ago

That's great, I love it. I thought about doing that exact thing, wasn't sure where to mount the TV.

I plan to end up somewhere between you, and a dedicated cab. I plan on building out a mini cab, but just connecting it to an external PC. Essentially, the controller with some screens in it.

Let us know what you think of that controller.

Edit: Wait, did you build that controller? It looks very much like the one that virtual pins (?) sells.

#4 9 years ago

Yeah, I built it. Just a simple MDF box with some scrap from my MAME cabinet. Simple until I added the stupid lockdown bar anyway. That required some odd routing and interferes with my button placement. I'm gonna have to cut off part of the lockdown bar to get my launch button to work. If anyone plans to do a similar project, either skip the lockdown, or do it first.

That being said, I wanted a somewhat authentic feel and the real buttons along with the lockdown bar add a lot.

#5 9 years ago

Check out vpforums.org. Here is a link to getting started. I think there are others, I just can't seem to find them in my favorites for when I built mine but this is a great start.

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?app=tutorials&article=1

I absolutely love my virtual pin. VP9 is a lot of fun, with VP10 on the horizon as well!

Good luck!

#6 9 years ago

I built a virtual pin, and sold it quickly. I don't regret building it, it was a really fun project. I just found that playing virtual pinball was making me worse at real pinball - it affected my timing.

This was a couple years ago, so YMMV these days.

#7 9 years ago

Looks like your playing desktop versions of the recreations. Pinmame/vp is a ton better in fs (full screen)Then the pinball fx/arcade. With sam pinmame out there are great stern tables also. BBH, transformers, tron, avengers, ac/dc etc.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fun-virtual-pinball-project-controller and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.