Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 183 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Chosen_S
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

202-1.jpg
    201-1.jpg
    198-1.jpg
    197-1.jpg
    195-1.jpg
    164-1.jpg
    162-1.jpg
    165-1.jpg
    163-1.jpg
    160-1.jpg
    159-1.jpg
    158-1.jpg
    156-1.jpg
    157-1.jpg
    155-1.jpg
    154-1.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider labnip.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 9 years ago

will reserves be secret again?

#17 9 years ago

just confirming...

games can be removed after auction on saturday or will turned off if still there after auction?

#21 9 years ago

cool.
    thanks for the clarification

#41 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

If I recall there was also a TRON-LE that was had for $9400 after fee's and taxes, and the owner was thrilled, jumping up and down excited etc...

i think you just claimed Tron LE is worth more than $9,400.00 USD

no argument here

#66 9 years ago

my worthless 2 cents

Foreward: i would recommend going to the auction, at least for a while. It's an exciting experience.

Setting context:
    i was a very active buyer of pins last year.
    i sat through the entire auction at TFP last year.
    i'm a cheap bastard (usually), except for a few people on pinside who i've convinced otherwise

I didn't buy a single pin. But, lots of other people absolutely did, and I'm sure they are very happy with their purchases. I could have easily gotten any of those pins for much less money somewhere else & in a short time frame (except for the very-very rare pins that are tough to find, ie: Varkon, BBB, & that proto-Woz).

Target Customer Market for Auction:
    ...and that's why I'm also not the target market for the "FUN!" company to sell to. I believe their customer-base is largely someone willing, able & excited to pay anything to get 1 (or more) particular pins in their home. "FUN!" isn't running a "get a deal auction". He is running a "maximize profits at all cost auction (including not selling via reserves)". ...and that's totally ok. it's his business, not mine, or anyone else's.

Pricing:
    From memory (and it's been a year...) about 95% of the pin prices last year were over-priced (with OR without all the taxes & fees), especially for the quality of each pin. I seem to recall maybe 2 pins being a fair price & I was a little surprised they sold for such, considering what all the others were going for (if, they actually sold. maybe they didn't because of the "reserve" setting).

Target Market (again):
    It was entertaining to go to the auction last year and experience it. I would recommend it, if you haven't done it before. But honestly... tons of us in the room where giving each other crazy looks and laughing with each other at what the prices were going to. But... we weren't the ones bidding or buying either (wrong customer segment). Grossly generalizing, we're the dorks that scan the market frequently hunting for the pot of gold (on one end of the extreme spectrum), and that particular auction at TFP is for other customer types (probably less dorky) on the other extreme end of that spectrum.

Online Influence:
    There were lots of bids coming in from online. I know that's just how it works these days, but I'm always a bit weary of those types of bids, wondering if they are all legit or not. That's just me being stupid (i know), but still... i just don't know if the original seller it tossing in their own bids out of site (online) to try to get the price going up.

More Audience Observations:
    Also, after the first 10 to 20 pins were auctioned, a lot (i mean a lot) of people began to leave. I don't think most of them had intended to buy and were instead just curious about the auction in general, but several told me they were leaving because of the prices. It wasn't the type of auction the were expecting (no price "deals").

Now, I think they are saying that this year, they are going to toss in some project-pins (for me that usually means clunkers with 2 legs in the salvage yard & 2 legs in a hero's workshop), to try and appeal to a different customer segment. But, that's interesting if i'm interpreting it correctly (and i usually don't, so if you haven't been laughing already or completely blown me off, here's your chance). Here's why... If your pins are on a spectrum (maybe something like):
    0: scraps/parts only
    25: heavily abused, damaged (wood, paint, plastics, electronics, everything)
    50: non-working, visible damage, but repairable (and parts on market)
    75: non-working, no visible damage, electronics damage or simple aging breaks (and parts on market)
    90: working, has visible damage (wood, paint, plastics), but playable
    95: working, only playfield wear & dirty
    100: working, has that HUO clean but used look to it.

Then you plot your customer segmentation (spectrum) over the pin quality spectrum along with the pricing that "FUN!" is using, I believe there's still going to be giant gaps between what's for sale, how it's getting priced, and the customers attending the auction.

A "project pin" that's more expensive at the auction than it would be elsewhere is still as unappealing to my customer segment probably as much as average/standard working pins that are overpriced.
    I think the reason is... this auction is designed to absolutely maximize profits at all costs by getting bids from different customer segments who are willing, able & excited to pay any price to get them + use of reserves to not even sell the pins. Hopefully putting "project pins" (if that's happening) on the auction doesn't have a negative impact to the folks selling project pins in the parking lot at TFP.

Also, just want to make a shout out to Jared for putting so much time, "POSITIVE" energy, and passion into this great little industry we have the opportunity to enjoy together.

ps. go to the auction, it's fun.

hope that helps for any n00bs

#78 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

...As a enthusiast and collector, I thought to myself "how can this be better for everyone?" And since then I have been working hard to do what I can to improve the auction for everyone.

price caps

#79 9 years ago

@Jared,

will the project pins be on the floor too, or somewhere, where we can identify them as being in the auction and see what they look like close up, since last year, we only saw photo's of each pin being auctioned on the slideshow projector?
    I recall many of the working pins being on the floor last year, but don't remember if they were tagged with something to know they were going into the auction.

thanks.

#94 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

All of the project pins will be on the floor for your inspection Friday and Saturday during show hours. They will be marked "project pins no reserve". During the auction, you will see names and photos of these same machines and I will add a note on their slide that they are project pins. You will be able to get close up and check them out.
    Every pin last year had a special "this is in the auction" card under the glass, but this year you will be able to clearly tell "funs area" by the signage that will be up. Every pin he is bringing is going in the auction, will be on free play, and will be out for detailed inspection.
    Thanks for asking.

Many games will be at no reserve, not just the project games. This is what I was told. Wouldn't it be exciting if someone was willing to risk it all and take a bath selling games 20-40% under market value? Thats not what is going to happen here. I mean, that's reasonable, right?

Thank you, sir

#95 9 years ago

i was waiting for that

#115 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

2: Yes, it is true. I help Steve out with events, social media, graphic design and online marketing. For this event, I am helping with the slideshow and live-streaming, as well as relaying feedback from pinside/facebook/email to him to make improvement on the show over 2014.
    I am NOT paid or compensated by TPF to promote the TPF, but I am also promoting them anyways by virtue of the pinball auction and just because I love sharing awesome events with my friends and followers on social media.
    That all said, when I speak here, I do not do so with a FUN! muzzle in my mouth. I do so as I normally would, paid or not. Truly. Steve does not tell me what to say, and when I speak here I speak as Jared and not as Steve.
    Any other questions? Haha.

fyi... Jared does a really great job helping the auction run very smoothly and professionally.

#127 9 years ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

Not everyone that pays more than bargain prices feels taken advantage. People make choices based on a variety of reasons. Sometimes those reasons don't occur or make sense to others.

Exactly.
    For example, take my wife...

#128 9 years ago

...please

#140 9 years ago

I bet several of those will do really well

#151 9 years ago

If they don't let you look in them, it's more an episode of Storage Wars

#159 9 years ago

hmmm... the football arcade looks fun.
    wonder what the MM will go for at an auction?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider labnip.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fun-pinball-auction-tpf-2015-positive-changes?tu=labnip and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.