4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 90 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Jared
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSC00844.JPG
    DSC00843.JPG
    DSC00845.JPG
    DSC00842.JPG

There are 90 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 4 years ago
    Quoted from jwo825:

Yeah, but you cannot treat some people one way and others another. There's just no way to be consistent or fair about it unless everyone is under the same rules.

Sure you can. It happens all the time where I work; A former supervisor of mine treated some people like shit and others nice.

#52 4 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Sure you can. It happens all the time where I work; A former supervisor of mine treated some people like shit and others nice.

Lol, I hear what you're saying. I guess you're right, but you get paid for work. it doesn't bode well for volunteers. Start fining people, and they'll stop bringing machines.

#53 4 years ago
    Quoted from jwo825:

Yeah, but you cannot treat some people one way and others another. There's just no way to be consistent or fair about it unless everyone is under the same rules.
    To clarify, I didn't take you as being disrespectful. I was just saying that I wouldn't bring games if there was a chance I could get fined should it go down. I do understand your frustration, though. We have to remember though, that almost all the games were brought by hobbyists to share for our amazing TPF and not everyone is a great tech.
    I know fun had a lot of no working items they brought for auction. I was under the assumption they were put on the floor for people to look over, so a convenience thing. I think Funs auction is crap and a waste of time and I also believe they have absurdly high prices on dirty and/or poorly maintained games, but I understand that they at least attempted to have them all running last year, ther had some that they never turned on. So I'll give them a minor improvement over last year, which still isn't great.

So I guess we agree to agree that we agree about the fact that I agree with everything you posted just now.

#54 4 years ago

So what was the count 400 pins? There was more like 275-300 pins working. I hope this chanages next year as a whole. Of the 6 years I have attended TPF this show had the most pins turned off than any other.

#55 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

So I guess we agree to agree that we agree about the fact that I agree with everything you posted just now.

This is the internet, no room for that. It's now time to insult each others' race and/or religion!

#56 4 years ago

fUN isn't a volunteer. They are there to profit.
    They were required to have games on at TPF as a stipulation to having a monopoly on "auction" at the event.

At least that's my understanding...

#57 4 years ago

We're a majority of their games off all weekend or just the project games? I was under the impression it was the project games that were mostly off.

#58 4 years ago

None of the project games booted up to begin with. They were not even on the floor, all 12 of the project games were in a separate room.

As far as 400 games 275 working... heh... there were like 435 pinball machines... and I have no clue how many had issues, but I can say this...

I brought two very nice games, both of which worked well 95% of the time there and both got 500+ plays in 3 days. Since they were my games, I took responsibility for them... which meant checking in on them hourly or bi-hourly for ball jams or other issues.

I can understand how ONE person could get overwhelmed keeping up with 80 machines... it was a task to keep up with 2 and I was just one person. I am not sure what a great solution would be other than to hire a 2nd or 3rd tech to keep the games going all weekend.

Of course, the point of bringing the games is more for people to see what they are bidding on. Many of the people posting that they want the games up to 100% are not saying so because they have ant intention to buy them. They just want to pay FUN's games and walk away. Normally... thats fine... and yeah thats gonna happen. But the reason they are there at all: is to be sold.

Keep the constructive criticism coming.

#59 4 years ago
    Quoted from labnip:

fUN isn't a volunteer.

They are volunteering this Flying Turns that is in no better condition than the one that sold for $3500 at the auction. In fact they are almost the same...

ebay.com link » Flying Turns Pinball Machine Rare Backbox Animation Restored Sale Priced

#60 4 years ago

Jared, keeping the games running is in everyone's best interest. Fun will sell more (and for more) if they are running closer to 100%. Why wouldn't every Fun tech be at TPF with as big as that weekend has to be for them?

How about this: if it's a project machine stick a huge PROJECT sign on it and group them all together. Otherwise I assume it's turned off to protect it from play.

All I know is that I didn't have to look for the Auction signs to know I was in Fun territory. I just had to look for the dim playfields. Yes, other machines were out but not at that rate, IMHO. If keeping them running on free play is not a priority for them like it is for everyone else maybe they should get their own room.

I'm glad to hear the overall experience with the auction seems to have been better this year so maybe I'd actually consider one next year, but it certainly better be playable.

#61 4 years ago
    Quoted from gtown:

Jared, keeping the games running is in everyone's best interest. Fun will sell more (and for more) if they are running closer to 100%. Why wouldn't every Fun tech be at TPF with as big as that weekend has to be for them?

There is only one tech. And he was there, lol...

#62 4 years ago

This has been said several times but people keep talking about it. All the projects were in another room. All of the games on the floor were supposed to be working but several were not working since the beginning. If the game doesn't work when it's set up then it needs to be moved to another location. I only saw one of their guys working on machines a couple times all weekend. It seems like more effort would be put into this on FUN's part.

I like the project games and hope there are more next year as I bought one this year.

#63 4 years ago

Farfalla and Amazing Spiderman were on the floor (near TBL) and did not boot. I don't see how these were brought as working games. These were part of the Fun Auction.

Seems to me any 'functional games' that Fun brings, they should have at least two people on site to keep them going. Afterall, they were supposedly supplying 70+ working games.

#64 4 years ago

I had a bad experience when I bought my Cirqus Voltaire from Fun which was damaged in shipping. They took out the insurance but almost 30 some emails later some with pictures and video of the damage plus a list of the items and replacement cost they keep asking for more and more info and even the same stuff I had already sent and keep stalling and after 3 months I gave up. I filed a bad business review thru the BBB but they aren't even a member and they have like a D minus rating. The shooter rod and coin door was damaged in shipping when the trucking company set something heavy on top of the machine when shipped. I did not notice the damage till I unboxed it since the packing was okay. Since Fun took out the insurance they had to file a claim and I think they took too long to do so and went past the deadline to file so they keep stalling me till like I said I just got frustrated with them and called it quits and will never buy anything from them again. I did get a good price for the CV pin (7K) and it was in really good shape so posting this to warn you of how they treat customers who have any issues after the sale. I replaced the coin door with a new chrome door and new blinking shooter rod since I had to replace them but never got a dime from fun and was asking Fun or the insurance for like only 250 bucks. Dealt with Ruth there but never got Steve to reply to anything even after asking. If they would have filed the claim or just gave me the small amount you would not have heard this or me being a thorn in their side till I die.

#65 4 years ago
    Quoted from tdunbar:

I had a bad experience when I bought my Cirqus Voltaire from Fun which was damaged in shipping. They took out the insurance but almost 30 some emails later some with pictures and video of the damage plus a list of the items and replacement cost they keep asking for more and more info and even the same stuff I had already sent and keep stalling and after 3 months I gave up. I filed a bad business review thru the BBB but they aren't even a member and they have like a D minus rating. The shooter rod and coin door was damaged in shipping when the trucking company set something heavy on top of the machine when shipped. I did not notice the damage till I unboxed it since the packing was okay. Since Fun took out the insurance they had to file a claim and I think they took too long to do so and went past the deadline to file so they keep stalling me till like I said I just got frustrated with them and called it quits and will never buy anything from them again. I did get a good price for the CV pin (7K) and it was in really good shape so posting this to warn you of how they treat customers who have any issues after the sale. I replaced the coin door with a new chrome door and new blinking shooter rod since I had to replace them but never got a dime from fun and was asking Fun or the insurance for like only 250 bucks. Dealt with Ruth there but never got Steve to reply to anything even after asking. If they would have filed the claim or just gave me the small amount you would not have heard this or me being a thorn in their side till I die.

I hear you, and I do not want to take away from your important comments.

But this is not a bash on FUN thread or a FUN FEEDBACK IN GENERAL thread... I am specifically trying to get feedback on the AUCTION AT TPF and all the aspects related to it so the event can improve in the future.

#66 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Farfalla and Amazing spiderman were on the floor (near TBL) and did not boot. I don't see how these were brought as working games. These were part of the Fun Auction.
    Seems to me any 'functional games' that Fun brings, they should have at least two people on site to keep them going. Afterall, they were supposedly supplying 70+ working games.

There is no two people, there is only one. Perhaps this can be addressed in 2016.

Both of those games were consignments, and not owned by FUN, therefore resources could not be dedicated to it by FUN to get the games working. They were also not projects... they were... in between. They were on the show floor so those that may have been interested could see them as they were and make a bid based on that interaction.

Did you bid in the auction?

#67 4 years ago
    Quoted from Lonzo:

It seems like more effort would be put into this on FUN's part.

I hear you. I promise that quite a bit of effort was put into this event. Moving 89 machines is no small task. I do not think anyone on this forum has moved 89 machines in a single day! Its a huge amount of effort actually.

That all being said, some prep steps can be taken a few months in advance of the event to make sure the games are working their best.

#68 4 years ago

Jared
    If anyone bought a pin from Fun at that auction and had them ship it, it maybe wise to watch for any damage in shipping since mine was poorly packed and may want to know how Fun treated me when I purchased an item and had it shipped from them and had problems with the item I bought and how they treat unhappy customers after the sale. IMO

#69 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

There is no two people, there is only one. Perhaps this can be addressed in 2016.

To me, Fun took on these machines, I would expect the minor issues (dead flipper, ball hangups, etc.) to be fixed during the show (with Fun employees, not by the show volunteers). If a machine went down and no longer booted up, I would not expect anyone to spend much time on these type of issues.

Swords of Fury for example did not have any of the displays working. The game was unlocked. I looked it over and reseated the MPU ribbon cable and then the displays worked for the remainder of the weekend. That was a one minute fix.

Simple fixes are all I asking. More machines likely would have sold if they are kept up during the show.

Quoted from Jared:

Both of those games were consignments, and not owned by FUN, therefore resources could not be dedicated to it by FUN to get the games working. They were also not projects... they were... in between. They were on the show floor so those that may have been interested could see them as they were and make a bid based on that interaction.

I was not asking for these (Amazing Spiderman and Farfalla) to be fixed for/during the show. Since these two did not boot up, they are considered projects. I would have expected these to be with the other project games. Farfalla board cables were completely disconnected. There are still problems beyond just connecting the wires up as well. No, I would not had expected Fun to get these working...as these (Amazing Spiderman and Farfalla) were and are still project games.

Quoted from Jared:

Did you bid in the auction?

Yes!! I bidded on 6 games including the Swords of Fury that went for $1400. Highly likely that it would not had gone that high if the displays were not working.

I think there are many people that expect to take a working machine home when they are paying good money for a "working" game at an auction. I bet there were even several bidders that are do not repair their own games who are expecting it to be a working game when they have it shipped or take it home with them at the end of the show.

#70 4 years ago

I think selling project machines in the auction also has an effect on the swap meet. I counted maybe 5 machines in the swap total. There were a lot of people at the swap, but it had very few items there to buy. Imagine if they said only working machines in the hall, and nonworking projects in the swap. Several of us drive a long way to the show to look for reasonable projects to work on. If the swap doesn't improve and most projects are sold at the auction, then it won't be worth our effort. I love many things about the TPF, but Allentown has a better balance of playable machines and swap projects.

#71 4 years ago

Auctions are not the best idea at big shows since it takes away sales from the floor as people drag their feet and wait for the auction to buy stuff. If the show has a swap meet, then project games will be in the auction rather than the swap. The buyers fees/tax just add cost to already expensive games and goes to a middle man. If you are in favor of the auction please explain why adding 15-20% onto the purchase is a good thing. If I go to a show, I am expecting to pay cash, no fees and definitely not paying sales tax.

If people want to bring games for sale then put them on the floor with a for sale tag. I think the TPF organizers need to get rid of the auction and if FUN! or whoever wants to have an auction then do it separate. I don't think the auction is a big draw for TPF.

#72 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chrizg:

Auctions are not the best idea at big shows since it takes away sales from the floor as people drag their feet and wait for the auction to buy stuff. If the show has a swap meet, then project games will be in the auction rather than the swap. The buyers fees/tax just add cost to already expensive games and goes to a middle man. If you are in favor of the auction please explain why adding 15-20% onto the purchase is a good thing. If I go to a show, I am expecting to pay cash, no fees and definitely not paying sales tax.
    If people want to bring games for sale then put them on the floor with a for sale tag. I think the TPF organizers need to get rid of the auction and if FUN! or whoever wants to have an auction then do it separate. I don't think the auction is a big draw for TPF.

I ran the auction slide show and marketing personally: and The game I bought was from the floor. Also sold my game on the floor. Auction didn't change anything.

I can also say: the auction is in fact quite a draw indeed. Without the auction, you lose 22% of the games on the floor. 1/5 of the games were brought by a single person. Eliminate the auction: you lose the games. Lose the games: attendance drops.

It's advantageous to TPF to advertise 430 games instead of 350.

#73 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

Eliminate the auction: you lose the games. Lose the games: attendance drops.

With all the "working" FUN games, how many went down and stayed down? That subtracts from the game list.

How many were projects (including Farfalla and Amazing Spiderman) that were on the game list? These cannot be counted if they were not even playable!!

#74 4 years ago

With all the "working" FUN games, how many went down and stayed down? That subtracts from the game list.
    How many were projects (including Farfalla and Amazing spiderman) that were on the game list? These cannot be counted if they were not even playable!!

I do not disagree with you that a big improvement next year would be to have 100% of the games that are not 100% in a separate room. Thats more than fair.

#75 4 years ago

I wouldn't say 100%, as things will happen even moving the games to the show.
    But if it cannot spit out a ball to the shooter lane and be playable, then it is a project.

#76 4 years ago

I sure miss FUN having a booth where they just sold working games at the show straight from their showroom. Back then, they would fix the minor issues that pop up during the show.

#77 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

I do not disagree with you that a big improvement next year would be to have 100% of the games that are not 100% in a separate room. Thats more than fair.

Well, I didn't know about the separate room until 5 minutes before the auction started. There needs to be a huge sign outside of the separate room(s) for ones just on display. It didn't draw my attention at all. I just happen to look into the room as I saw someone exit.

#78 4 years ago

Well, I didn't know about the separate room until 5 minutes before the auction started. There needs to be a huge sign outside of the separate room(s) for ones just on display. It didn't draw my attention at all. I just happen to look into the room as I saw someone exit.

We can improve on that for next year for sure.

At least everyone who bought those was happy with that they got.

#79 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

I ran the auction slide show and marketing personally: and The game I bought was from the floor. Also sold my game on the floor. Auction didn't change anything.
    I can also say: the auction is in fact quite a draw indeed. Without the auction, you lose 22% of the games on the floor. 1/5 of the games were brought by a single person. Eliminate the auction: you lose the games. Lose the games: attendance drops.
    It's advantageous to TPF to advertise 430 games instead of 350.

Why couldn't Fun just bring the games and put a price tag on them on the floor instead of having the auction? You don't have to lose the games if you lose the auction. Without the added costs of the auctioneers and slide show operators and promoters, they could afford some help to shop them before the show and a couple techs to maintain them during.

#80 4 years ago
    Quoted from jwo825:

Why couldn't Fun just bring the games and put a price tag on them on the floor instead of having the auction? You don't have to lose the games if you lose the auction. Without the added costs of the auctioneers and slide show operators and promoters, they could afford some help to shop them before the show and a couple techs to maintain them during.

The auction enables hundreds of people online to also have a shot at buying the games in real time.

#81 4 years ago

I confirmed with Steve this morning that 68% of the games in the auction were sold. This is a sizable improvement from 2014. Steve is "very pleased with the results". 7/10 games are gone... thats pretty good.

#82 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

The auction enables hundreds of people online to also have a shot at buying the games in real time.

This is a different argument. You claimed it was for attendance, now it's for online bidders?

How are the online bidders supporting TPF?

Quoted from Jared:

I confirmed with Steve this morning that 68% of the games in the auction were sold. This is a sizable improvement from 2014. Steve is "very pleased with the results". 7/10 games are gone... thats pretty good.

I saw quite a few of the "sold" games back up on eBay under Fun!'s account after TPF. How many of those did they buy back?

#83 4 years ago
    Quoted from jwo825:

This is a different argument. You claimed it was for attendance, now it's for online bidders?
    How are the online bidders supporting TPF?

I saw quite a few of the "sold" games back up on eBay under Fun!'s account after TPF. How many of those did they buy back?

Quite a few, as in... 32%. 68% of the games were sold to people OTHER than FUN!.

Yes, 3/10 games were not sold (at the auction, they were not claimed to have been sold they were simply skipped). But Its awesome to learn than 7/10 are going to new homes.

You asked "Why couldn't Fun just bring the games and put a price tag on them on the floor instead of having the auction?" and the reason is that by doing that they drastically reduce the amount of potential buyers. This does not contradict my earlier statement.

#84 4 years ago

I guess the real question is why couldn't Fun just sell the auctioned games to the highest reasonable bidders without shilling them up in price, buying them back, and putting them back on E-bay at their usual outlandish prices.

#85 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I guess the real question is why couldn't Fun just sell the auctioned games to the highest reasonable bidders without shilling them up in price, buying them back, and putting them back on E-bay at their usual outlandish prices.

68% of the games were sold.

Steve has been selling pinballs for two decades. I bet he is pretty good at it!

Outlandish for you and me... but not for the people who buy them... and people DO buy them.

#86 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Welcome to Texas!

#87 4 years ago

How many of the games that sold were on consignment? I'm willing to bet the majority that sold were not Steve's games. Regardless, everything that was sold was overpaid for after you factor in auction fees, tax and possibly shipping.

The deals are on the floor. Skip the auction.

#88 4 years ago

What would Vanilla Ice think about the auction? Did FUN bring a TMNT?

#89 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

Outlandish for you and me... but not for the people who buy them... and people DO buy them.

Sure. But in an auction setting like this, if you are selling so many machines and you know ahead of time that you will not take less than a certain amount or still want your E-bay prices, how bout posting that reserve number on the machine before the auction starts and you will waste a lot less people's time.

#90 4 years ago
    Quoted from jwo825:

How many of the games that sold were on consignment? I'm willing to bet the majority that sold were not Steve's games. Regardless, everything that was sold was overpaid for after you factor in auction fees, tax and possibly shipping.
    The deals are on the floor. Skip the auction.

Is that feedback we can use to improve the auction in 2016?

I also bought my game at TPF on the floor and not at the auction...

That does not mean the many people who bought pins in the auction were not happy with their purchases. My friend who is a professional magician bought the Card Whiz for $1100 + tax and fees and was absolutely thrilled.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 129.00
    Displays
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 14.95
    € 18.95
    $ 89.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    $ 169.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Lit Frames
    £ 49.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 234.99
    € 68.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 50.00
    Lighting - Other
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 9.95
    Playfield - Plastics
    ULEKstore
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Great American Pinball
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 21.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    There are 90 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside