4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 90 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Jared
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSC00844.JPG
    DSC00843.JPG
    DSC00845.JPG
    DSC00842.JPG

There are 90 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 years ago

Hello everyone!

Now that TPF 2015 is over and completed it is time to hear your feedback on the FUN! Pinball Auction. I have caught various feedback inside of other threads or in person, but I would like to have it all here in one thread to be considered in digested.

Here is my agenda.

I want to hear the good and the bad from:
    -People who bid online
    -People who bid in person
    -People who decided not to bid
    -People who considered consigning games
    -People who played games in the FUN! area.

Your FEEDBACK and CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM will be taken into account and rolled into a plan for improvement for Pinball Auction 3 at TPF 2016. Steve and FUN! want to improve this experience for everyone.

Before I read anything, I want to say, that from FUN!'s point of view, TPF Auction 2 was a huge success. There were 2-4X the live bidders. There were more online bidders. The auction was over in under 3 hours. We had high resolution slides of 99% of the games on the projector. The auction games were clearly marked on the show floor with new signage on every game.

JARED'S LIST OF IMPROVEMENTS FOR AUCTION 3 2016
    -All games leveled and pitched properly.
    -All games cleaned before hand.
    -All games checked to be in good working order in advance, and if not repaired in advance.
    -Auctioneer to never say what he thinks a game is valued at. This will avoid laughter in the audience. lol
    -Better online video streaming and audio.
    -More no reserve games
    -More project games

Your feedback is valued. Thanks.
    -

#2 4 years ago

Still seeking feedback, want to make the event better. Thanks.

#3 4 years ago

More project machines. I like cheap parts.

I liked that the machines weren't shutdown like last year after the auction. I heard some people that were conducting personal sales, that a condition of the sale was that the pin had to stay on the floor for the show. I really liked this.

#4 4 years ago

I am glad to have the auction. That is a big number of games at TPF to play. Thanks, Fun for bringing them. That was a huge amount of work for them. If you look at the auction result a that was a large number of sales.

#5 4 years ago

I think your list of improvements covers it for me. project games were a cool addition this year.

#6 4 years ago

If you are going to auction games off during a show, it would be helpful to make sure all the games that are to be auctioned off are to be powered on, working, and functioning properly. One game that comes to mind is the Adams Family machine they had on the floor, did not see it on the entire time Friday or Saturday...

#7 4 years ago

My only criticism about having an auction (Not Fun! but any auction really) is I can see that it affects people trying to sell their own games/pins at TPF. I spoke with several vendors who said they were getting a lot of feedback from people saying they were going to wait until the auction before buying anything. Good or bad, it was brought up several times.

#8 4 years ago

I thought it was a great success and enjoyed attending most of the auction even though I did not bid. You guys did a great job with it. I loved playing their games and hope it's even bigger next year, and I may come prepared to buy. Not a big fan of the 10% buyer premium and paying the sales tax on top as you really have to be careful in factoring all of that in when bidding.

#9 4 years ago

Nothing I can do about that.

No doubt, a majority of purchases and sales were done Sunday.

#10 4 years ago

Farfalla was not playable, but was out on the floor. Talked to the guy that bought it..sure hope he can ressurect it. Playfield and backglass looked pretty decent. :\

#11 4 years ago

Your list pretty much sums it up. Seems like a no brainer to me, if you want to get the most money out of a machine, make it look good and play good.

I like the project games. In fact, I took one home.

#12 4 years ago

The machines were pulled from the floor early Sunday which I don't think is fair to TPF. Imagine people who bought a Sunday pass and were promised over 400 machines only to see about 3 rows being disassembled early. I realize they were sold but it should just be stipulated in the auction that the machines must remain turned on for the remaider of the tournament.

I don't think Fun (or Pinball Side Mirrors) should get out of that rule.

#13 4 years ago

I couldn't play half the EM's I wanted to play that were up for auction. 50% or more of entire row of games FUN had on display were turned off. It was cool that they brought a Hobbit and a Big Bang Bar and a few MMs I give them some credit but it was sad when I ventured into that corner. Maybe next year this will change in the FUN area.

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from DocRotCod:

My only criticism about having an auction (Not Fun! but any auction really) is I can see that it affects people trying to sell their own games/pins at TPF. I spoke with several vendors who said they were getting a lot of feedback from people saying they were going to wait until the auction before buying anything. Good or bad, it was brought up several times.

I saw more than enough sellers trying to get the stupid prices that people were getting at the auction. Everything that I saw that sold before the auctoon was priced more reasonably.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from gtown:

(or Pinball Side Mirrors)

Apparently they didn't have enough fun getting chewed out last year by not having playable games in their booth, so they decided to have a repeat of that again from what I hear. If they are not recieving the benefits of having the machines be on free play (passes, food vouchers, entries into the drawings/door prizes etc..) then I'm not sure I see an issue. They get access passes for buying a booth, but that's about it as far as I know. They also provided TWO 500 buck drawing prizes for exhibitors, one of which was won by an EM guy and Pinsider.. so I think they paid their dues this year for their games not being playable...

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from gtown:

The machines were pulled from the floor early Sunday which I don't think is fair to TPF. Imagine people who bought a Sunday pass and were promised over 400 machines only to see about 3 rows being disassembled early. I realize they were sold but it should just be stipulated in the auction that the machines must remain turned on for the remaider of the tournament.
    I don't think Fun (or Pinball Side Mirrors) should get out of that rule.

Really? I didn't catch that!

I left to return the projector at 1:30pm and seemed like all tha games were still there? I know 40 people were still trying to play the hobbit at 1:30pm.

I don't know if they took out games early or not, but I didn't see that. No way that all the games left early... So I wonder which ones?

It was explained clearly online and at the auction that all games were to remain until end of show.

#17 4 years ago

Not sure what time it was - maybe after 1:30 but definitely before 2 and I saw a couple of guys taking machines down. I was on a mad dash to catch some games before the end and this was the only area being shut down.

#18 4 years ago

I think your list covers any suggestions I would have as well. I would say that "project" is a generous word for some of those machines. More like parts machines.

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gov:

I think your list covers any suggestions I would have as well. I would say that "project" is a generous word for some of those machines. More like parts machines.

Well, regardless, each of those were free for inspection for 2 days up front and people were free to bid whatever they wished. There is no negative of them, is there?

Quoted from gtown:

Not sure what time it was - maybe after 1:30 but definitely before 2 and I saw a couple of guys taking machines down. I was on a mad dash to catch some games before the end and this was the only area being shut down.

Well, getting games ready to go 30 minutes early... thats a big difference than them "The machines were pulled from the floor early Sunday" which implies that they were not available most of the day Sunday. Many people began the breakdown process early. Heck, I went to COINTAKER at like 1pm to buy some lights... and their whole booth was already broken down and packed.

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from DocRotCod:

yup.
    i heard that several times & had a pin for sale on the floor.
    whatza-guy to do

ps. sold my pin about 30 minutes after show was over

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

Well, regardless, each of those were free for inspection for 2 days up front and people were free to bid whatever they wished. There is no negative of them, is there?

Yes, and I am glad I looked at them in person. I pity any internet buyers that got one if they did. All but one was missing the boards I think and several of them had a ton of water damage that wasn't really noticeable in the pics. That is the risk you take bidding online though. Not saying that they weren't appreciated being part of the auction, just more a comment on the word project

One other suggestion is that the auctioneer stop trying to talk up the machines as it really shows how little he appears to know about the machines. Most of the people in attendance know their stuff. Just start the bidding and get it done.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from labnip:

yup.
    i heard that several times & had a pin for sale on the floor.

Ya our group had 5 machines for sale and 4 of them weren't sold until after the auction, which was fine as it actually helped as people saw what some of those dirty, partially working machines were going for and it made ours look like a better deal.

I think Fun! would sell a lot more games if they just took the time to at least clean the machines, some of those things were filthy.

#23 4 years ago

From what I've been reading in other threads (I wasn't at TPF), a 25% buyers premium seemed to scare some folks off. 10%-15% has been a normal percentage for most (non-pin) auctions I've been to over the years. 25% is no small chunk of change for stuff going for hundreds or thousands of dollars, and I would certainly hesitate to bid more than a paltry amount.

#24 4 years ago

I was there and they said 10% buyers premium plus tax. 13% for online bidders.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gov:

One other suggestion is that the auctioneer stop trying to talk up the machines as it really shows how little he appears to know about the machines. Most of the people in attendance know their stuff. Just start the bidding and get it done.

I totally agree. This was my first suggestion to Steve even within 30 minutes of the auction concluding. Even me... a guy paid to run the slides... even I had to shake my head in disbelief and astonishment at some of the things the auctioneer said. lol. Yep.

That has got to change.

#26 4 years ago

Farfalla made me very, very sad. That's my only comment for this year. I didn't care about anything else they had on the floor, but Farfalla being DOA (to be fair, four whole light sockets lit up, the transformer was sending something out) made me a hugely sad panda.

Sales wise, we had better luck selling anything this year versus last year. YMMV.

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gov:

I think Fun! would sell a lot more games if they just took the time to at least clean the machines, some of those things were filthy.

I agree but... I wonder how much time it would take 1 person to clean 75-100 games?

I know I had my hands full for a while prepping 2 games for the show... but 100? Seems crazy.

FUN only has a single pinball technician.

The way they normally do it, is the games sit on their showroom floor in the condition seen at TPF, but when a buyer pays for one, they spend 2-5 days with the game in "make ready" getting shopped out, cleaned up and ready for home use. They do not deliver a game until its 100%... but they spend days prepping them sometimes. But that is for people who pay their in-store retail prices...

I do not disagree... I only wonder how they may be able to do this.

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

From what I've been reading in other threads (I wasn't at TPF), a 25% buyers premium seemed to scare some folks off. 10%-15% has been a normal percentage for most (non-pin) auctions I've been to over the years. 25% is no small chunk of change for stuff going for hundreds or thousands of dollars, and I would certainly hesitate to bid more than a paltry amount.

The buyers premium was 10%.

#29 4 years ago

Link to the results?

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from Quiddity:

Farfalla made me very, very sad. That's my only comment for this year. I didn't care about anything else they had on the floor, but Farfalla being DOA (to be fair, four whole light sockets lit up, the transformer was sending something out) made me a hugely sad panda.
    Sales wise, we had better luck selling anything this year versus last year. YMMV.

When I spotted Farfalla I was so excited. I asked Erron about it, and he said it needed CPU board work. He said he could do it. I asked him why he wouldn't. He said "the game is a consignment, its not my responsibility". Well... that makes sense.

He had his hands full trying to keep FUN's games going (1 tech for... a lot of games, lol) so the Consignment games were kind of a "buy it as is" kinda deal.

If I remember correctly Farfalla went for like $800? I think thats a deal... Evan could have that game working in less than an hour im sure. It was pretty clean.

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from alveolus:

Link to the results?

https://www.proxibid.com/asp/Catalog.asp?aid=90515#Top

I have heard that some of the prices marked here are higher than the actual selling price, so take that into account.

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

https://www.proxibid.com/asp/Catalog.asp?aid=90515#Top
    I have heard that some of the prices marked here are higher than the actual selling price, so take that into account.

Some of those games are marked as sold, but they were actually skipped because the highest bid didnt meet the sellers reserve. But just a handful.

#33 4 years ago

We'd have bothered trying to figure out how to bid on it if we knew *anything* about Zac boards/machines. We talked to the guy that bought it, iirc he said $700. Hope he gets it working. Aside from the whole didn't-work-at-all part it wasn't bad at all. Just needed the Euro backglass insert, but that's still fixable, eventually.

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from Quiddity:

We'd have bothered trying to figure out how to bid on it if we knew *anything* about Zac boards/machines. We talked to the guy that bought it, iirc he said $700. Hope he gets it working. Aside from the whole didn't-work-at-all part it wasn't bad at all. Just needed the Euro backglass insert, but that's still fixable, eventually.

You are making me mad I didnt buy it, lol. $700 + 18.25% is still under $1000 out the door. I bet the glass could be made... game could be cleaned... and $200 in board work. Presto... nice Farfalla for less than $1300. Thats a deal anywhere.

#35 4 years ago

The glass is two parts. One part is the screened outer side, the other is the 3D plastic insert piece. The Euro version had a prettier dress with actual boobs, the one that was at TPF is the tamer US version.

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

I agree but... I wonder how much time it would take 1 person to clean 75-100 games?
    I know I had my hands full for a while prepping 2 games for the show... but 100? Seems crazy.
    FUN only has a single pinball technician.
    The way they normally do it, is the games sit on their showroom floor in the condition seen at TPF, but when a buyer pays for one, they spend 2-5 days with the game in "make ready" getting shopped out, cleaned up and ready for home use. They do not deliver a game until its 100%... but they spend days prepping them sometimes. But that is for people who pay their in-store retail prices...
    I do not disagree... I only wonder how they may be able to do this.

I am not saying shop them out, just at least wipe the playfield down and the glass. That doesn't take that much time and they might actually sell a few more. I don't know but I always shake my head at businesses that work this way. I have gone to a lot of 'retailers' that work the same way and they just have dirty junk sitting on their showroom floor and say they will clean it if you buy it. All of the time there are 3 people just standing around talking or watching TV when they could be just cleaning 1 machine a day.

Dunno, I just know that nearly every single 'nice' condition, working clean machine that was for sale at the show sold.

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gov:

I was there and they said 10% buyers premium plus tax. 13% for online bidders.

Ok, nevermind then

#39 4 years ago
    #40 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gov:

I am not saying shop them out, just at least wipe the playfield down and the glass. That doesn't take that much time and they might actually sell a few more. I don't know but I always shake my head at businesses that work this way. I have gone to a lot of 'retailers' that work the same way and they just have dirty junk sitting on their showroom floor and say they will clean it if you buy it. All of the time there are 3 people just standing around talking or watching TV when they could be just cleaning 1 machine a day.
    Dunno, I just know that nearly every single 'nice' condition, working clean machine that was for sale at the show sold.

Well, the majority of the FUN games sold too... remarkably.

All the same... no-one stand around at FUN... its a very small company. The tech is always upstairs in his lab working on shopping out the next 1-4 games they sold the week before. They sell so many games on ebay that he is always busy.

Maybe they could hire extra help the month before TPF. A guy whos job is just to clean/shine games.

Might set them back $3,000 for a month of 40 hour weeks, but surely they would make that back up in increased sales? Something to think about anyways.

#41 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

ebay.com link

Looks like Fun! bought quite a few of Fun's machines from auction.

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from jwo825:

Looks like Fun! bought quite a few of Fun's machines from auction.

I count 22. Some of them are still consignments.

Much better than last year. That means that about 75% of the games sold at the auction.

#43 4 years ago

I think TPF should charge people 60 dollars for each game that doesn't work. It would put an end to this F'in BS! It really irks me to see 50 machines turned off. They have 12 months to prepare for the show and it it seems like they spend 2-3 weeks getting ready instead. I don't care for any excuses or if the game is on consignment. If the game needs board work then don't bring it. Fix it then bring it. As I type this it makes me fuming mad inside.

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

I think TPF should charge people 60 dollars for each game that doesn't work. It would put an end to this F'in BS! It really irks me to see 50 machines turned off. They have 12 months to prepare for the show and it it seems like they spend 2-3 weeks getting ready instead. I don't care for any excuses or if the game is on consignment. If the game needs board work then don't bring it. Fix it then bring it. As I type this it makes me fuming mad inside.

That won't happen.

#45 4 years ago

Yeah. It only takes one power surge or low voltage on an outlet to fry a board. No matter how well you maintain your game. I would just pack my shit and walk out if someone tried to fine me 60 bucks after lugging my machine(s) over 300 miles to let everyone play for free all weekend. Not every machine that has problems is due to poor ownership.

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from jwo825:

Yeah. It only takes one power surge or low voltage on an outlet to fry a board. No matter how well you maintain your game. I would just pack my shit and walk out if someone tried to fine me 60 bucks after lugging my machine(s) over 300 miles to let everyone play for free all weekend. Not every machine that has problems is due to poor ownership.

Let me make myself more clear. I am talking about FUN mainly and the few idiots that bring a busted up machine that is worthless just to get someone in for free. I understand power surges. I am talking about games that are off on purpose in a bad way. I meant no disrespect to the 100's of people like yourself that bring your games for others to enjoy.

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

Let me make myself more clear. I am talking about FUN mainly and the few idiots that bring a busted up machine that is worthless just to get someone in for free. I understand power surges. I am talking about games that are off on purpose in a bad way. I meant no disrespect to the 100's of people like yourself that bring your games for others to enjoy.

Yeah, but you cannot treat some people one way and others another. There's just no way to be consistent or fair about it unless everyone is under the same rules.

To clarify, I didn't take you as being disrespectful. I was just saying that I wouldn't bring games if there was a chance I could get fined should it go down. I do understand your frustration, though. We have to remember though, that almost all the games were brought by hobbyists to share for our amazing TPF and not everyone is a great tech.

I know fun had a lot of no working items they brought for auction. I was under the assumption they were put on the floor for people to look over, so a convenience thing. I think Funs auction is crap and a waste of time and I also believe they have absurdly high prices on dirty and/or poorly maintained games, but I understand that they at least attempted to have them all running last year, ther had some that they never turned on. So I'll give them a minor improvement over last year, which still isn't great.

#48 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Farfalla was not playable, but was out on the floor. Talked to the guy that bought it..sure hope he can ressurect it. Playfield and backglass looked pretty decent. :\

Not mine, but I'm working on it. Zaccaria playfields clean up very nicely and without much effort.
    Neon works. Power supply has 2 fuse holders with corrosion so I'll have to change the fuse holders.
    MPU is not booting up and I see someone did some acid damage repair and added a wire to replace a trace that was eaten up. I'm hoping to find another damaged trace and get it working soon.DSC00842.JPGDSC00843.JPGDSC00844.JPGDSC00845.JPG

#49 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Not mine, but I'm working on it. Zaccaria playfields clean up very nicely and without much effort.
    Neon works. Power supply has 2 fuse holders with corrosion so I'll have to change the fuse holders.
    MPU is not booting up and I see someone did some acid damage repair and added a wire to replace a trace that was eaten up. I'm hoping to find another damaged trace and get it working soon.DSC00842.JPGDSC00843.JPGDSC00844.JPGDSC00845.JPG

Holy crap! I recognize that ramp anywhere!

#50 4 years ago

Jared,

I was there bidding in person, and playing the games on the floor.

Games on the floor: some lots that were up for sale didn't seem to be on the floor. The wife would have bid on TAF had we seen it, and had a chance to inspect it. Zero inspection, zero bid.

Games weren't set on free play before going on the floor. This affected both the ability to enjoy the games at TPF, as well as to get a chance to see what to bid on.

At the auction:

Auctioneer #1 was great, easy to understand. Auctioneer #2, hard to understand, both for the wife and myself.

Lot numbers were only sometimes given. It was hard to keep track of where we were at times. I finally brought up the proxy bid url so that we can see the order of what's being sold; from there we could keep an eye on how much time was left on our "gotta have". An alternative, if time would have allowed, would have been to add the lot numbers to the slides.

I might have been one of the first people to ask about shipping. The folks at the table were having a rough time with figuring that out. To their credit, their followup yesterday and today has been great.

Overall, glad I went.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 159.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pixels Arcade Games
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 17.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 2.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 10,999.00
    Boards
    PinSound Plus Out of stock
    PinSound
    $ 279.95
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 2,000.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 15.00
    $ 35.00
    Hardware
    Filament Printing
    $ 35.95
    Playfield - Other
    MicksPinball
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 142.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 299.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company
    There are 90 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside