tzswithc (resized).PNG
73a1a43ed726ebbf8a612a3df7cc3dc3 (resized).jpg
1 (resized).JPG
5 (resized).JPG
4 (resized).JPG
3 (resized).JPG
2 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 166 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 7 years ago

For the heck of it- I swapped out my Aux power board with one I had, had fixed by Clive at Coin-Op (and set for TZ years ago as I knew I would eventually get one). Unfortunately, it didn't do anything to help.

I gave up for the day- played some TZ and just let the damn thing look for the ball in-between drains.

I'm getting closer to moving on and working on putting in my new Ingo clock board- and taking a break from trying to fix it for now. At least it looks really nice!....

I'm running out of boards to swap- I've done the CPU, the Driver and now the Aux board. I'm confident it ain't a board.

I'm also confident I will fix it....eventually.

#102 7 years ago

I know it's a long shot - but have you checked the pins in the molex connectors on the ramp switch (under playfield) those pins can sometimes break or lose continuity? I would unplug them and see what it looks like. Check both sides, the pins and the receivers.

John

#103 7 years ago
Quoted from mamemaster:

Just noticed this is the 1 month anniversary of me killing my TZ....cake for everyone!

73a1a43ed726ebbf8a612a3df7cc3dc3 (resized).jpg73a1a43ed726ebbf8a612a3df7cc3dc3 (resized).jpg

#104 7 years ago
Quoted from John-from-PA:

I know it's a long shot - but have you checked the pins in the molex connectors on the ramp switch (under playfield) those pins can sometimes break or lose continuity? I would unplug them and see what it looks like. Check both sides, the pins and the receivers.
John

Yeah- multiple times. I considered cutting them all- and just hard wiring them. I did that years ago on my Cyclone after a GI issue that took me forever to figure out. It was a bad plug in the molex. I cut 'em- soldered them- and never had a GI problem again!

#105 7 years ago

Don't give up! themadman has too much invested in your issue!

#106 7 years ago

This may be the longest I have witnessed a single problem go unsolved on Pinside.
Always checking in to see the solution.

#107 7 years ago

I'm trying to drag this out - Cable TV Episode style-- the dramatic conclusion to come in 2017!

(at least the way this going lol).

Frankly, this is a matter of not having the time to really dig in- consistently. My kids are small (5 & eight) and my wife is impatient when I try to log hours on this machine to fix it....

It's also a little out of my wheelhouse- so I'm trying to learn switch matrix theory concurrently.

the joy of pin ownership!

$10,000 by Christmas!

#108 7 years ago
Quoted from mamemaster:

Frankly, this is a matter of not having the time to really dig in- consistently. My kids are small (5 & eight) and my wife is impatient when I try to log hours on this machine to fix it....

proposed fix for that ... "Honey I'm sorry I can't get away right now, but I bought tickets for you and the kids to go to (place favorite place here) for Christmas! I'll miss you terribly but thinking of how much enjoyment you will get from this trip will get me through the long nights alone."

#109 7 years ago

The one thing I keep returning to (which is probably not going to work) is unplugging the clock from the PF and disabling the clock from the settings. If you've done this, my apologies for missing it. But if you are going to install a new clock board, hopefully that is the fix.

#110 7 years ago
Quoted from mamemaster:

I discovered that even though the switches all test out in switch test- they don't necessarily work during a game.

Is this still true? If not please summarize the current issue (there have been so many updates it's hard to follow the current symptoms). If it is true I would suspect a high-resistance connection in that wire (often at the IDC connector).

#111 7 years ago

I was incredibly lucky- to have had Rob from Rockland Pinball offer to stop by yesterday and spend sometime helping to dig around the machine.

He brought a TZ opto board- and we swapped that- to no effect. He's puzzled too- but is convinced it's the CPU. He and I replicated much of what I've done to date- but it was great to have his input and I'm appreciative of that!

He said he'll be in my area again- and will bring a working TZ CPU to pop into see if that's the answer.

The upside is for the first time (!)- by moving boards and plugging/unplugging the switches- we got a "Row 8 Short" error. That at least confirms I'm on the right track with Row 8. I've never actually seen that error message but I felt that at least confirmed what I thought I knew.

I have a new Williams/Bally ULN2803A Switch Matrix Driver Chip, but mine is soldered. I haven't unsoldered a chip yet- but will see the results of the new CPU board before I make that effort.

Really Really hoping- Rob's board does the trick.....tune in next week for an update!

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP ROB!!!

#112 7 years ago

Just a thought, since you have it narrowed down to the CPU did you check the connectors below where the batteries are to see if there is acid damage in the connectors?

#113 7 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

Just a thought, since you have it narrowed down to the CPU did you check the connectors below where the batteries are to see if there is acid damage in the connectors?

Nothing obvious-- we looked under bright light. Still not 100% sure it's the CPU - just the most likely suspect at this point to look there again.

#114 7 years ago

I'm not just talking about the board but inside the pins of the connectors. Sometimes acid gets in there and you never even see it

#115 7 years ago
Quoted from mamemaster:

Nothing obvious-- we looked under bright light. Still not 100% sure it's the CPU - just the most likely suspect at this point to look there again.

For another pinball I had a switch matrix issue that I was able to narrow down to the CPU by removing the switch harness from the CPU and doing a switch test by jumping the pins. For TZ row 8 it looks like you need to remove J205 and J206 and jump J205 pin 9 to J206 pins 1-9. Do this while in a switch test and see if you get the switch signals. If not, then it is something on the CPU and not in the harness or on the PF. In my case it was a decoder chip that I narrowed down. For TZ it looks like it is U20.

#116 7 years ago

I've done the jumper test. It appeared to work- but I'm hoping I missed something that the new board will reveal.

#117 7 years ago

Ribbon cables?

#118 7 years ago
Quoted from mamemaster:

I was incredibly lucky- to have had Rob from Rockland Pinball offer to stop by yesterday and spend sometime helping to dig around the machine.
He brought a TZ opto board- and we swapped that- to no effect. He's puzzled too- but is convinced it's the CPU. He and I replicated much of what I've done to date- but it was great to have his input and I'm appreciative of that!
He said he'll be in my area again- and will bring a working TZ CPU to pop into see if that's the answer.
The upside is for the first time (!)- by moving boards and plugging/unplugging the switches- we got a "Row 8 Short" error. That at least confirms I'm on the right track with Row 8. I've never actually seen that error message but I felt that at least confirmed what I thought I knew.
I have a new Williams/Bally ULN2803A Switch Matrix Driver Chip, but mine is soldered. I haven't unsoldered a chip yet- but will see the results of the new CPU board before I make that effort.
Really Really hoping- Rob's board does the trick.....tune in next week for an update!
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP ROB!!!

I'm still not convinced it's the CPU, it works in switch test with tape and balls, as all you pics show from your testing:
Making the assumptions that your missed that there are three lane switches on the left (what you called left outlane is actually inlane 1 and what you called inlane is actually inlane 2, and the outlane never got tested).
And about picture 15 your one switch less finished in your testing then you say you are ( I thing you duped picture 14 with another and called the second take 15).

Everything looks beautiful in the testing you did, and the CPU testing you did...

With the row 8 short, I'm still on a ball is causing a chain reaction somewhere (you tested with tape, which doesn't conduct, where a steel ball on a switch touching something else metal will). Or the Gumball geneva switch is a lynchpin, and it was NOT active in the tape test you did, but has moved and gone back to active, and is causing a column to row to column to row wiring issue due to a bad diode on the slot kickout causing a matrix "square" fault.

If the row 8 short was there WHILE all the connectors were unplugged then it is a CPU problem, but if it went away when you removed the connectors, then it's a playfield problem (and I'm still convinced it's on the playfield).

#119 7 years ago

That's real good what you did, Anthony real good! Hahah wrong episode but same actor

#120 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-DOOD:

That's real good what you did, Anthony real good! Hahah wrong episode but same actor

I think it is the same episode right? Its his birthday and noone wants to piss him off. lol

#121 7 years ago
Quoted from wizard_mode:

I think it is the same episode right? Its his birthday and noone wants to piss him off. lol

Haha yeah! But I think it might be the episode where he talks to his dead grandma on the phone though not for sure!

#122 7 years ago
Quoted from wizard_mode:

Ah. I think your right! Good call!

#123 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-DOOD:

Haha yeah! But I think it might be the episode where he talks to his dead grandma on the phone though not for sure!

The image was from Long Distance Call, where Granny talks to him from beyond the grave. It's a Good Life is the one where he controls everything with his mind.

Love the Blu-Ray season sets of TZ. Many excellent commentaries.

#124 7 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

The image was from Long Distance Call, where Granny talks to him from beyond the grave. It's a Good Life is the one where he controls everything with his mind.
Love the Blu-Ray season sets of TZ. Many excellent commentaries.

Gotcha. Good Life is one of my favs, thought this pic was from that one. I like the movie version of Good Life too.

#125 7 years ago

WOO. Yeah I thought it might have been long-distance call. I have the definitive collection

1 week later
#126 7 years ago
Quoted from themadman:

What switches did you have taped down?
I've taken your picture, and applied it to the switch matrix, just for reference...

Nice matrix there, but to clarify for future reference:
Switch #71 is technically the second autofire kicker, #82 is "Upper Right Magnet" (not 'Middle'), and #86 is named "Clock Passage", not '4-way')

I just found this thread, and have my thoughts, but since it's so far into the process, I'll just sit back and watch.

Plus, bump.

#127 7 years ago

Hey team Pinside- I spent a few more hours and am still at a standstill. I tried to remove/replace U20- but was unable to do so with my limited skills.

So....I ordered a brand new CPU board (with a new processor), built in NVRAM and will give that a shot. Worst case I'll have a spare CPU for the next time I have a issue to try out.

Anyway- that should be here by next week....I'll move the ram chips over- and give it a shot....I hope...pray- that this works and I'm back in business.....

Ironically- over the last month, my home PC died (admittedly it was 9 years old -but I've rebuilt it many times)- and now my MAME cocktail that I built died today (that was 12 years old)-- so I've been putting a lot of time & money into this stuff that's getting annoying...

It was time to upgrade the home PC and the PC in my cocktail machine (I just picked up a refurb 128 G SSD win 10 HP mini for $150 for the cocktail) - so that should blaze through those old games now.... and my new desktop is a high end HP Envy also a refurb.

I just ordered my first raspbery pie V3 too to build a console emulator for my TV....hopefully I get that going lol....
sigh.

#128 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Switch #71 is technically the second autofire kicker

Wait, what? Explain please….

I had a "switch 71 error" when I first got my machine and through fixing a short in that row, updating the game rom, and replacing the ULN2803, it has never returned. But as far as I knew, switch 71 is "not used" according to the matrix.

#129 7 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

Wait, what? Explain please….
I had a "switch 71 error" when I first got my machine and through fixing a short in that row, updating the game rom, and replacing the ULN2803, it has never returned. But as far as I knew, switch 71 is "not used" according to the matrix.

To keep it short since it's off-topic -
Original designs had the autofire kicker store two balls in it, for multiball release. Two optos were used for this. Early sample games still had the second opto installed. Switch #71 was called 'Big Kick #1', and Switch #72 was called 'Big Kick #2'. When the top opto (for the 2nd ball) was removed, the #72 was renamed to 'Autofire', and #71 was 'Not Used'. In-game, if you activate the opto, the game WILL open the gate and try to clear out the autofire kicker. So it DOES have code wired to it.

I was just being anal and pointing out correct names for the @themadman's switch matrix chart.

#130 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Nice matrix there, but to clarify for future reference:
Switch #71 is technically the second autofire kicker, #82 is "Upper Right Magnet" (not 'Middle'), and #86 is named "Clock Passage", not '4-way')
I just found this thread, and have my thoughts, but since it's so far into the process, I'll just sit back and watch.

Quoted from Coyote:

To keep it short since it's off-topic -
I was just being anal and pointing out correct names for the themadman's switch matrix chart.

Anal, but 100% correct . It was quick paint editing to remove "not used", and not looking up the "correct" names on the matrix. I figured that someone might have added 82 or 86 to a machine, but I've never seen one with 71 (which is the second autofire), not to say someone wouldn't, but the machine will never (on purpose) try to put two balls into the autofire lane, even if it could sense it. The other two switches can be used and recognized for game play.

But if you don't have good documentation, what's the point in having the documentation, so in the interest of serving Coyote's , and everyone else's needs... A corrected matrix is attached...

What though do you have Coyote? While I still think it's a matrix (wiring) issue, and probably a switch that is breaking/shorting row 8 to ground, I (and I'm sure the OP even more) will take ideas.

We've seen the switches activate in switch test, and by shorting on the MPU, so the MPU is probably not it. He's had ground short row 8 show up once or twice, and everything that is flaky is row 8; I'm still in belief it's a wiring issue, probably on the ramp or geneva switch with a diode shorted to ground, or the clock is causing chaos and taking out row 8. It seems to be a not often used switch causing most of row 8 to disappear (wired wrong thus breaking row 8 when not in use or in use, bad diode, etc...) Could also be something on the opto board.

What we really need is for him to get the machine to not be sensing the ball in the outhole and go into test right there and see if the outhole switch is closed, and if not touch the other switches until we find the one that causes it to close (after verifying that it will close via a short on the MPU.)

tzswithc (resized).PNGtzswithc (resized).PNG

#131 7 years ago

Ahh, yes. I remember someone mentioning a Big Kick #2 error a while back. It's all coming together and making sense now.

I do love learning about all the super early/pre-production stuff with this game. I think I would've enjoyed that roaming jackpot shot mentioned in that other thread. That would've been super challenging!

#132 7 years ago

Well, here are my thoughts on it -
He said he tried the Gumball Machine Test, but I don't like his results - or his description of the results.

Row 8 shorted to ground would affect the game, but when the row is shorted, you'll get other issues - the code wouldn't even get to trying to load the gumball machine.

@op didn't say what revision ROM he was running, so going to assume 9.4H. (If 9.4CH, switch to 9.4H. 9.4CH has some adjusted code that could cause issues, and it'd be silly trying to fix something that could be bugged by the hacked ROM..)

9.4H was built off one of the newer revisions of 'OS'. This version immediately flagged a switch as bad if, on power up, it's not in its normal state. This is excepted for certain switches that have kickouts (rocket kicker, lock kickout, etc.) But other switches, like the Mini PF Enter switch, or the Ramp switch, or the ramp opto will immediately be flagged as bad in the test report if on power up it's not in its usual state.

I digress. I would do the following -
Empty ALL balls from the game.
Go into Gumball Test mode, do NOT select any test.
Drop a ball - a single ball - between the right ramp and the left ramp. There's a plastic there, and the ball may roll into the gumball entry hole. (If not, use your finger and push it in.)
What SHOULD happen is that the Gumball Lane switch should activate, then the Gumball Popper. The popper will fire, ball will enter gumball, triggering the Gumball entry. It may try to eject the ball - that's fine. If it does, catch it out of the slot machine.
If that works as intended, then take another ball. This ball, roll up the right spiral. The game should see the ball activate the R Magnet opto, open the gumball diverter. When the ball enters the hole, the process should repeat the first test - Gumball lane, popper, entry. Again, may try to eject a ball from the gumball. If so, catch it out of the slot machine.
If THAT works, now we test hte autofire kicker. Manually open the shooter diverter with your finger (lightly!) and let the ball roll into the autofire kicker. The 'Autofire' switch should activate on the screen. Then, everything should follow as above. (Magnet switch, lane, popper, entry.)

If that works as expected, then our problem is in the trough.

#133 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Well, here are my thoughts on it -
He said he tried the Gumball Machine Test, but I don't like his results - or his description of the results.
Row 8 shorted to ground would affect the game, but when the row is shorted, you'll get other issues - the code wouldn't even get to trying to load the gumball machine.
@op didn't say what revision ROM he was running, so going to assume 9.4H. (If 9.4CH, switch to 9.4H. 9.4CH has some adjusted code that could cause issues, and it'd be silly trying to fix something that could be bugged by the hacked ROM..)
9.4H was built off one of the newer revisions of 'OS'. This version immediately flagged a switch as bad if, on power up, it's not in its normal state. This is excepted for certain switches that have kickouts (rocket kicker, lock kickout, etc.) But other switches, like the Mini PF Enter switch, or the Ramp switch, or the ramp opto will immediately be flagged as bad in the test report if on power up it's not in its usual state.
I digress. I would do the following -
Empty ALL balls from the game.
Go into Gumball Test mode, do NOT select any test.
Drop a ball - a single ball - between the right ramp and the left ramp. There's a plastic there, and the ball may roll into the gumball entry hole. (If not, use your finger and push it in.)
What SHOULD happen is that the Gumball Lane switch should activate, then the Gumball Popper. The popper will fire, ball will enter gumball, triggering the Gumball entry. It may try to eject the ball - that's fine. If it does, catch it out of the slot machine.
If that works as intended, then take another ball. This ball, roll up the right spiral. The game should see the ball activate the R Magnet opto, open the gumball diverter. When the ball enters the hole, the process should repeat the first test - Gumball lane, popper, entry. Again, may try to eject a ball from the gumball. If so, catch it out of the slot machine.
If THAT works, now we test hte autofire kicker. Manually open the shooter diverter with your finger (lightly!) and let the ball roll into the autofire kicker. The 'Autofire' switch should activate on the screen. Then, everything should follow as above. (Magnet switch, lane, popper, entry.)
If that works as expected, then our problem is in the trough.

A little different approach to the same thing I've been trying to get him to do... Methodically test each switch with a ball.

The entire gumball sequence actually works, once the forth ball makes it into the trough, since none of the switches for the gumball load and dispense sequence (outside of the outhole) are in row 8.

One of the problems is getting a set point to work from, with a set of known conditions, and troubleshooting from there; the random board changes, and wiring changes, and game plays, just set us back to an unknown state each time, and we don't know what works and doesn't each time.

There is a row 8 problem, each time it fails it takes out the outhole, slot, and rocket switches, and probably the rest of row 8 too, but since the first three are used almost immediately at the start of a game, that's the ones he notices. (and he didn't even notice the outhole, he thought it was a gumball machine problem, I only saw that inside one of his videos).

It really is a row 8 disconnected, or shorting problem.... Just what and where is it failing...

#134 7 years ago

My advice... do this to the broken one, and buy a new one.

ospace (resized).jpgospace (resized).jpg

#135 7 years ago

Are there too many balls in the machine? I know, dumb question. But, it is something I would do. Do you have the "add additional ball" option activated?

#136 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

My advice... do this to the broken one, and buy a new one.

I'm getting "this" close!!!!

....but I'm too stubborn to give in....

With Rob here about a week ago- and with Ron- we did most of these tests ...if not all. But I know - I know(!)- I'm missing something that will end up being obvious.

I've swapped out the opto board- with a working one- and that didn't help.

I trying the new CPU board (and I'm running a brand new commercial rom now- but was having the same results with the home rom- I figured I'd try both)- as a last ditch effort.

I've physically disconnected the clock- and that didn't seem to help (I turned it off in software too).

All of the switches appear to work- we checked them out methodically together....he thinks is the CPU....as did Ron initally....so I figure I would try that.

#137 7 years ago

Nevermind my comment. Getting this issue mixed up with another JD one I'm following... Good luck man. Frustrating...

#138 7 years ago
Quoted from themadman:

A little different approach to the same thing I've been trying to get him to do... Methodically test each switch with a ball.
The entire gumball sequence actually works, once the forth ball makes it into the trough, since none of the switches for the gumball load and dispense sequence (outside of the outhole) are in row 8.

Quoted from mamemaster:

All of the switches appear to work- we checked them out methodically together....he thinks is the CPU....as did Ron initally....so I figure I would try that.

So, wait - what is the actual problem? I thought it was the gumball not working, but.. if that's not the cause, you're just trying to narrow down the cause for the ground short?

If the latter, the opto board won't help, as it's not connected to Col 8. (This is the aforementioned 'shot-gun method' which isn't recommended here..)

It's been a long day at work, apparently I'm just confused now.

#139 7 years ago

Still checking in here for the "OMG, I found the problem." Post.

#140 7 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Still checking in here for the "OMG, I found the problem." Post.

2nd that

#141 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

So, wait - what is the actual problem? I thought it was the gumball not working, but.. if that's not the cause, you're just trying to narrow down the cause for the ground short?
If the latter, the opto board won't help, as it's not connected to Col 8. (This is the aforementioned 'shot-gun method' which isn't recommended here..)
It's been a long day at work, apparently I'm just confused now.

It was originally listed as the gumball not working, but that was a mistaken diagnosis from the OP. He had emptied the balls from the machine, done some work, ramp removal, mods, etc. and when put back together, he dropped 6 balls into the outhole expecting the machine to load the gumball machine, since it had always done that in the past. When it didn't, he assumed the gumball machine was broken.

After watching his video, it wasn't that the gumball machine was broken, but that the 6 balls never left the outhole area and got moved to the trough. He kept trying to start a game and couldn't, so he started moving balls over by hand to the trough, and when three got there, the machine started a game (since it assumed the other 3 must be in the gumball machine). It never loaded the gumball machine, simply because there was never 4 balls in the trough to get the gumball load sequence to start. Once four balls were manually put into the trough, the gumball machine loaded.

Since a game could now be played, ball searches took care of moving from the outhole to the trough (the outhole switch isn't registering), and from the rocket kicker on a skill shot (also not registering), and from the slot machine when hit or shot from plunging (also not registering). But he was missing that it was a ball search moving the game along when the ball "sat for a long time".

I don't think we've tested all the switched in row 8 yet, but the three he complained about are in row 8, and he's also had a startup error (before switching out boards, and roms) that gave a left inlane switch 38 error, or a ground short error row 8. All problems are in row 8.

Removing the connectors on the MPU and jumpering between row 8 and each column works fine, and so does every other column to row, so we are down to a switch or switches, or a loose wire somewhere causing a row short/open on row 8.

The problem is, whenever he goes into switch test, he seems to get row 8 to start working. So my guess is a row 8 switch wire is touching a lamp matrix wire somewhere near a switch (thus the confusion between ground short and all row 8 open), and why the switches seem to work in edge test, but not in game play (since the controlled lamps are all off during testing, but on during game play).

It could also be a switch that is solidly in one state or another for a long period of time (geneva, ball lock, clock optos, etc.) that is sometimes changing state and is causing the short.

I was on the diode shorted to ground on a switch when made at first; while still in the same ball park, I'm more thinking a lamp matrix to switch matrix short...

Do you have one or two switches on the coin door (does power drop to the coils/flippers when you open the door?)

-->
One thing we haven't tried is to remove the controlled lamps power and see if the machine acts normal for switches (with the side effect of no lamps). That could help tell if that is the problem.

OP: Disconnect J119, J120, J121, J133, J134, J135, J136, J137, J138 (Any, and all, if present) marking the correct ones and telling us which were populated, and play a game. Did the machine function normally (minus not having any lights that work)?

If YES, then we know it's a lamp to switch short problem.

If NO leave the above unplugged and OPEN the coin door, go into test see the outhole switch working by placing a ball in it. If it registers then Close the coin door, does it still register?

If NO: then a short to a solenoid.

If YES: to be determined.
<--

#142 7 years ago
Quoted from themadman:

The problem is, whenever he goes into switch test, he seems to get row 8 to start working.

I've mentioned this before but I'll try again. If the switch matrix works during test but not during a game this can be caused by a high-resistance connection in a row or column (in this case row 8). During play the earlier switches in the row will work and the later switches in the row will not work. The most common cause is a wire that is not properly seated in the IDC connector.

Of course this does not explain the ground short error.

In regards to a short between the lamp matrix and the switch matrix my experience is if that happens it will typically blow the chip on the cpu. Not saying you should rule out that option, just sharing my experience. Removing the power to lamp matrix while in game mode as you suggested is a good test.

#143 7 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

I've mentioned this before but I'll try again. If the switch matrix works during test but not during a game this can be caused by a high-resistance connection in a row or column (in this case row 8). During play the earlier switches in the row will work and the later switches in the row will not work. The most common cause is a wire that is not properly seated in the IDC connector.
Of course this does not explain the ground short error.
In regards to a short between the lamp matrix and the switch matrix my experience is if that happens it will typically blow the chip on the cpu. Not saying you should rule out that option, just sharing my experience. Removing the power to lamp matrix while in game mode as you suggested is a good test.

I agree with you on the high resistance as a possibility, and it's where I was to begin with, a broken or almost broken wire on a switch where two of the row wires meet to bridge to the next switch. The row seems to get worse the farther away from the head the switch is based on rough distance theoretically past a break.

But the weirdness of the whole thing of everything seems to work in test mode, not in play, and the ground short, there has to be something else in play that changes when in game mode; controlled lights, solenoid power (I don't know if there is a safety switch on the coin door, nor if it's always closed during the game play when it malfunctions, and always open during testing, another possibility), geneva switch moves, etc.

Usually a lamp to switch matrix short would blow something on the cpu, but I'm open to one of the mods he's installed being LED based, and having a limiting resistor on it, so it's not blowing out the switch matrix, just confusing the heck out of it; if the mod is hooked to the lamp matrix for power and then somehow shorted to the switch matrix, we have a very plausible explanation. Add to that that the machine stopped working after he took it apart to add some mods... and the percentage of probability goes up that this is it. Especially since it has to be something that changes between testing and game play...

#144 7 years ago

I LOVE this idea themadman! Excellent suggestion- and def something I haven't tried....I'll try to give that a shot later in the week....hmm....wheels turning! THANK YOU. Great idea....I suspect the ramps still- even though I ordered the new CPU (I can always use it I'm sure)....hmm.....

"One thing we haven't tried is to remove the controlled lamps power and see if the machine acts normal for switches (with the side effect of no lamps). That could help tell if that is the problem.
OP: Disconnect J119, J120, J121, J133, J134, J135, J136, J137, J138 (Any, and all, if present) marking the correct ones and telling us which were populated, and play a game. Did the machine function normally (minus not having any lights that work)?
If NO leave the above unplugged and OPEN the coin door, go into test see the outhole switch working by placing a ball in it. If it registers then Close the coin door, does it still register?
If YES: to be determined."

#145 7 years ago

After all my pinside tech support my machine will be $10K by Christmas!

#146 7 years ago
Quoted from themadman:

But the weirdness of the whole thing of everything seems to work in test mode, not in play.

Actually that's a rather common indication of this problem. When the system is under load it will show up more than in test.

A close-up photo of the IDC connector would be great. As you mentioned this can also be a frayed wire, which could also explain the ground short if some strands are touching ground.

#147 7 years ago
Quoted from themadman:

It was originally listed as the gumball not working, but that was a mistaken diagnosis from the OP. He had emptied the balls from the machine, done some work, ramp removal, mods, etc. and when put back together, he dropped 6 balls into the outhole expecting the machine to load the gumball machine, since it had always done that in the past. When it didn't, he assumed the gumball machine was broken.
After watching his video, it wasn't that the gumball machine was broken, but that the 6 balls never left the outhole area and got moved to the trough. He kept trying to start a game and couldn't, so he started moving balls over by hand to the trough, and when three got there, the machine started a game (since it assumed the other 3 must be in the gumball machine). It never loaded the gumball machine, simply because there was never 4 balls in the trough to get the gumball load sequence to start. Once four balls were manually put into the trough, the gumball machine loaded.
Since a game could now be played, ball searches took care of moving from the outhole to the trough (the outhole switch isn't registering), and from the rocket kicker on a skill shot (also not registering), and from the slot machine when hit or shot from plunging (also not registering). But he was missing that it was a ball search moving the game along when the ball "sat for a long time".
I don't think we've tested all the switched in row 8 yet, but the three he complained about are in row 8, and he's also had a startup error (before switching out boards, and roms) that gave a left inlane switch 38 error, or a ground short error row 8. All problems are in row 8.
Removing the connectors on the MPU and jumpering between row 8 and each column works fine, and so does every other column to row, so we are down to a switch or switches, or a loose wire somewhere causing a row short/open on row 8.
The problem is, whenever he goes into switch test, he seems to get row 8 to start working. So my guess is a row 8 switch wire is touching a lamp matrix wire somewhere near a switch (thus the confusion between ground short and all row 8 open), and why the switches seem to work in edge test, but not in game play (since the controlled lamps are all off during testing, but on during game play).
It could also be a switch that is solidly in one state or another for a long period of time (geneva, ball lock, clock optos, etc.) that is sometimes changing state and is causing the short.
I was on the diode shorted to ground on a switch when made at first; while still in the same ball park, I'm more thinking a lamp matrix to switch matrix short...
Do you have one or two switches on the coin door (does power drop to the coils/flippers when you open the door?)
-->
One thing we haven't tried is to remove the controlled lamps power and see if the machine acts normal for switches (with the side effect of no lamps). That could help tell if that is the problem.
If YES: to be determined.
<--

I THINK YOU NAILED THIS! -- After weeks (months) of doing scratching my head- unplugging all of the GI seems to have FIXED the issue!-- I can't believe it.

I literally was able to play a few games correctly for the first time in months- THANKS TO YOU!

I need to methodically plug back in the GI to see which string is the offender- but as of this moment- this may be the resolution I've been seeking!

$10K by Christmas is now within reach! lol....

#148 7 years ago
Quoted from mamemaster:

I THINK YOU NAILED THIS! -- After weeks (months) of doing scratching my head- unplugging all of the GI seems to have FIXED the issue!-- I can't believe it.
I literally was able to play a few games correctly for the first time in months- THANKS TO YOU!
I need to methodically plug back in the GI to see which string is the offender- but as of this moment- this may be the resolution I've been seeking!

UPDATE- It appears to be J133 causing all of the trouble....as soon as I plug that back in- it goes nuts.

Now need to think through what's next. But with J133 unplugged- the games plays correctly once again.

I would bet anything- and I don't have time to check right now - J133 connects to my plastic ramp somewhere along the line....

Hmm.....

#149 7 years ago
Quoted from mamemaster:

Sweet please report back! What is $10k though? A new fully decked out mint TZ?

#150 7 years ago
Quoted from wizard_mode:

Sweet please report back! What is $10k though? A new fully decked out mint TZ?

I'm totally kidding- it looks beautiful- and I was joking if I could fix it, it would be $10K lol...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 12.95
$ 79.50
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 9.95
$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

$ 132.00
There are 166 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fun-new-problem-twilight-zone/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.