tzswithc (resized).PNG
73a1a43ed726ebbf8a612a3df7cc3dc3 (resized).jpg
1 (resized).JPG
5 (resized).JPG
4 (resized).JPG
3 (resized).JPG
2 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 166 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 7 years ago

O. OK. Now I think I know what you mean.
But first, what do you mean by "errors".
Are the switches reported to have an error when you enter diagnostics?

You can try this.
Get a jumper with alligator clips on both ends.
Game OFF.
Connect one end to the white/gray wire on the rocket kicker switch.
Connect the other end to the white/gray wire on the lower right 5 million target.
Make sure those connections are correct and not touching anything else.
Power on.
Test the switches.
Report back.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#52 7 years ago
Quoted from mamemaster:

The machine operated properly until I removed that plastic ramp. I'm guessing it's not a board- but wiring I disrupted- or a diode that gave out along the row.

Can you snap a picture of the wiring on this ramp switch? It bound to be wired to the wrong side of the diode, diode backwards, etc.

#53 7 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

O. OK. Now I think I know what you mean.
But first, what do you mean by "errors".
Are the switches reported to have an error when you enter diagnostics?
You can try this.
Get a jumper with alligator clips on both ends.
Game OFF.
Connect one end to the white/gray wire on the rocket kicker switch.
Connect the other end to the white/gray wire on the lower right 5 million target.
Make sure those connections are correct and not touching anything else.
Power on.
Test the switches.
Report back.
--

Im a noob, can you explain why you suggested this as a test. Talk to me like im an idiot.
Thanks.

#54 7 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

I a noob, can you explain why you suggested this as a test. Talk to me like im an idiot.
Thanks.

We all start somewhere Rick. And we learn by asking questions. Good for you.

The test I prescribed will connect a known working on a switch in that row to a problematic switch in that same row. If the problem has been caused by a break in the daisy chain wiring for that switch row, this test will tell us. If the switches (or at least more of them) begin to work, then we know that there is a discontinuity. This is an old operator hack.

An equivalent test would be to set a DMM to continuity and "buzz" from a known working switch to a problematic switch. If no "buzz" the wiring chain is broken.
--

#55 7 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

We all start somewhere Rick. And we learn by asking questions. Good for you.
The test I prescribed will connect a known working on a switch in that row to a problematic switch in that same row. If the problem has been caused by a break in the daisy chain wiring for that switch row, this test will tell us. If the switches (or at least more of them) begin to work, then we know that there is a discontinuity. This is an old operator hack.
An equivalent test would be to set a DMM to continuity and "buzz" from a known working switch to a problematic switch. If no "buzz" the wiring chain is broken.
--

Thanks. I guess i missed parts where we knew some of the switches worked.

I would have expected
18 to 28 test
18 to 38 test
18 to 48 test

Etc.

Glad for you taking the time to explain. Happy to learn from the debugging.

#56 7 years ago

OP, do the tests that Chris suggests before rushing to replace anything. He had me do the isolated CPU board switch test and I found that the column of switches that was out on my game was due to the ULN2803 on the board and not a broken wire somewhere(that I never found, like your situation).

Systematic testing first, leads you to what to replace at the end.

#57 7 years ago

My very sincere thanks to everyone trying to help here!-

Gonna try that test Chris- appreciate you taking time to explain that.

Re the wires on the ramp- I thought that too - but I never rewired the entry switch to the ramp (just disconnected it) - but did re solder the upper right ramp switch (pic below)- I checked against my reference photos and it seems correct no?

I never removed the diode since I didn't need to just the wires on the upper right ramp.

Re the "errors" on page 1 is a video- it can't find the ball- and then tosses up switch errors on the row 8 switches only-- no other ones....not all of them- but some times it's the outhole, then the 5M, then the left in lane- etc.

IMG_5653 (resized).JPGIMG_5653 (resized).JPG
IMG_5654 (resized).JPGIMG_5654 (resized).JPG

#58 7 years ago

Your switch is wired wrong compared to mine.

Banded side of diode is on the right most lug and has a green wire on that lug. White wire is in the middle. Other side of diode is on the left.

20161109_210439 (resized).jpg20161109_210439 (resized).jpg

#59 7 years ago

It is not necessary 'wrong' but it is different.
Switch on picture in post #57 has standard configuration GRN-column on 'Normally Open' where switch in post #58 has WHT-row on 'Normally Open'.
Both are correct as long as the diode is pointing to GRN when switch-circuit is closed.

#60 7 years ago

Hey mamemaster, I just read this whole thread. What a PITA! Anyway, if it were me I would check continuity between adjacent switch lugs along the entire switch row that you identified as having the issue. I suspect you have a broken wire somewhere underneath the sheathing that you cannot visually see. I would use alligator clips so you can clamp to the switch lugs and wiggle the wires between the adjacent switches and see if the audible continuity test on your DMM intermittently cuts out.
My other thought is that you pinched a wire under a ramp when replacing them, creating a short. Did you already try removing the ramps and reinstalling them? Test for the switch errors with the ramps out.
Good luck and please keep us posted!

#61 7 years ago
Quoted from mamemaster:

My very sincere thanks to everyone trying to help here!-
Gonna try that test Chris- appreciate you taking time to explain that.
Re the wires on the ramp- I thought that too - but I never rewired the entry switch to the ramp (just disconnected it) - but did re solder the upper right ramp switch (pic below)- I checked against my reference photos and it seems correct no?
I never removed the diode since I didn't need to just the wires on the upper right ramp.
Re the "errors" on page 1 is a video- it can't find the ball- and then tosses up switch errors on the row 8 switches only-- no other ones....not all of them- but some times it's the outhole, then the 5M, then the left in lane- etc.

Do the test Chris Hibler suggested.

I just see, that one of the clock-optos is in that row - SW98 clock hour 4.

An often overseen problem is, that if a phototransistor is defective in the way that it conducts permanently, phantoms switches MUST occur. This is because then it behaves like a closed mechanical switch WITHOUT a decoupling diode.

If it were my machine, I would disconnect the clock board and look, if the fault stays or has gone. If it is gone, you have found the fault, a defective opto on your clock board.

#62 7 years ago
Quoted from german-pinball:

Do the test Chris Hibler suggested.
I just see, that one of the clock-optos is in that row - SW98 clock hour 4.
An often overseen problem is, that if a phototransistor is defective in the way that it conducts permanently, phantoms switches MUST occur. This is because then it behaves like a closed mechanical switch WITHOUT a decoupling diode.
If it were my machine, I would disconnect the clock board and look, if the fault stays or has gone. If it is gone, you have found the fault, a defective opto on your clock board.

Good suggestion, especially since the clock was probably monkeyed around with when removing/installing the ramps.

#63 7 years ago

hmm...I've turned the clock off since I've been turning the machine on/off and it annoyed me to have it keep setting back to 12....can't I just physically disconnect it first to see if that changes anything? I actually have a brand new board that I haven't installed yet (the Ingo one). The clock has been working perfectly and that was going to be my next upgrade (new housing, gears etc).

re the ramp- no but it's on my agenda to remove it soon. I've unplugged everything on it- just to see if that helped-- but it didn't. I'm guessing removing it is in order.

Re the wiring on the switches- that's how it was when I got it- perhaps a lefty built mine? (I'm a lefty too)....but I'm def gonna try the jumper suggested. It's easy enough to try.

Gonna try to do some of these things soon- and again- appreciate the help and ideas here!!!!

#64 7 years ago

Chris- I did the test- and didn't see any issues I was hoping that would lead to something.

With that said- does that make you think that row 8 is actually ok and it's something else?

The pics loaded out of order- but I've marked them for reference.

Rocket (resized).JPGRocket (resized).JPG

no press (resized).JPGno press (resized).JPG

Pressed rocket (resized).JPGPressed rocket (resized).JPG

pressed lower rt 5m (resized).JPGpressed lower rt 5m (resized).JPG

lower right 5m (resized).JPGlower right 5m (resized).JPG

#65 7 years ago

going to remove the ramp this AM- inspect- and reinstall....

UPDATE- did that. nothing changed. Nothing obvious noted.

#66 7 years ago

A "normal" switch matrix status for TZ is shown here.
Compare to yours. Analyze diffs to see if they make sense.
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#T.1_Switch_Edges_Test
--
http://ChrisHiblerPinball.com/contact/
http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#67 7 years ago

Chris- is that the "normal" matrix- when you go into switch matrix on TZ in test? - and before you press anything?

This is my switch matrix on start up. Based on your picture mine appears to be normal. The proximity switch isn't shown- but it's been flaky. It's a marco repro- that needs to be replaced.

I have tried my machine with it plugged in and not plugged in. Currently it doesn't seem to work consistently- but again, that was happening before this all happened.

UGH!!

IMG_5661 (2) (resized).JPGIMG_5661 (2) (resized).JPG

800px-WPCSwitchTestExample (resized).jpg800px-WPCSwitchTestExample (resized).jpg

#68 7 years ago

I noticed under very bright light some corrosion on pin 6 (counting from the right- it's hard to see the 6 in the photo) - from J206. The wire is green w/a blue stripe which is col 8. Not sure that's the culprit- but thinking no....the CPU itself looks clean and I've already swapped it out as mentioned....

need to walk away for a bit-- this is starting to bum me out! lol.

IMG_5665 (resized).PNGIMG_5665 (resized).PNG

#69 7 years ago

Today's un progress--

Replaced all the following switches/diodes- rocket, outhole, upper right plastic ramp, left inlane.

I did them one by one- hoping that it would help but as it's been suggested it would not- and you guys were correct - it didn't change anything. I initially had a lot of excitement over discovering corrosion on the rocket switch- but nope. Changing it didn't make a difference. Pic below for reference.

....starting to run out of ideas!.....but can't give up (obviously) this is too expensive of a toy not to work.

IMG_5668 (resized).JPGIMG_5668 (resized).JPG

#70 7 years ago

going to try swapping out the switch matrix chip. I just got a new one-- gotta try everything I can think of.

UPDATE decided against it- I thought it was a chip I can pull- but I can't. With that said- in retrospect- my other CPU from STTNG had the same results....

Not sure what to try next....

#71 7 years ago

Did you try buzzing between like colored wire solder tabs in the suspect switch row?
The problem almost HAS to be the wiring.
I've seen instances where a switch matrix wire will connect to a ramp switch via a .062 molex connector. Two wires are crimped into the same .062 pin. One wire makes, the other wire doesn't. Buzzing from solder tab to solder tab of the white/whatever wire will tell the tale.

--

#72 7 years ago

Any updates, Mamemaster? I have been following this thread due to a deep interest in understanding what went wrong. Wish I had some possible test or fix to contribute, but everyone has hit the things I'd suggest. This is a good mystery, but I am sorry that your TZ has been down for so long.

#73 7 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

Did you try buzzing between like colored wire solder tabs in the suspect switch row?
The problem almost HAS to be the wiring.
I've seen instances where a switch matrix wire will connect to a ramp switch via a .062 molex connector. Two wires are crimped into the same .062 pin. One wire makes, the other wire doesn't. Buzzing from solder tab to solder tab of the white/whatever wire will tell the tale.
--

Chris is right, it's a wiring problem, back away from the boards.... You've got something not right somewhere on a switch on the playfield...
It may be a backwards diode, a loose wire, a misconnected wire, only one wire connected where two should be, etc. But it is a wiring problem since both the column and row work on the WPC board.

I think we've all missed something. Let's go back to the beginning...

Power up the machine and tell us if there is ANY diagnostic messages upon power up and what they are (even if it is clock not set, we need to know, gumball disabled would be really important, but list every single one to us). There is also the possibility that you've set the incorrect number of gumballs on the machine, in firmware 9.4 you can change the number of balls installed in the machine to 5, 6, or 7 but it as listed as 2, 3, or 4 gumballs in the menu, if the setting does not match the number of balls you put in then the machine gets very confused.

Let's get some information...

(SEE NEXT POST FIRST, ROW 8 OBVIOUSLY HAS A BROKEN WIRE, NO SENSE TESTING GUMBALL YET)

Using the test menu, empty all balls from the machine.
Start filming with your camera. It will be important to see the DMD and the playfield when testing, and the machine must be EMPTY of ALL balls before starting the gumball test.
Go into gumball machine test and then put all 6 balls, 1 at a time SLOWLY, pausing between each ball, with the DMD in view, into the drain on the playfield, start the gumball test and let it run for 7 to 8 minutes ( it may take 3 or 4 cycles for it to mark a failure) filming it and the DMD the entire time...
Post video, If it fails, note what the failure message is, if it doesn't fail, post video and we can spot any abnormal behavior...

#74 7 years ago
Quoted from mamemaster:

Chris- here's a link to my issue. Any thoughts are appreciated.
» YouTube video
Let me know if more video would be helpful....but that's the gist of what's going on.
I've noted I can force the gumball machine to fill- but it won't do it on it's own.
The video starts with all balls in the trough- then I press start. As you can see it doesn't load at all...
Thanks for checking this out!

I just watched this video, YOUR OUTHOLE SWITCH IS BROKEN.... All the balls you see below the flippers should NOT be there, it doesn't know they are there, so it does not move them to the trough, and since they are not in the trough it is not counting them.

The reason it did start the game, and moved a couple over to the trough and then to the shooter lane is the ball search you started upon starting a game fired the outhole kicker, which move two balls (due to the way they had landed) into to trough.

The first thing you must do is fix the outhole switch. NOTHING ELSE WILL WORK CORRECTLY UNTIL THIS IS DONE! The gumball test would have eventually shown this as a fault on the 3rd run...

There is no sense troubleshooting any other part until we fix your outhole switch....

P.S. When I say "Broke", I imply that the machine does not know the switch is closed, this may be a bad switch, but more likely it is a wiring problem and the two wires from the trough switch do not make it back to the board. Since this is the farthest away switch on the playfield the two wires that go to it are connected to 7 other switches each to make it to this switch, each one of those jumps must be good for this switch to work.

Watching more you rocket kicker switch is dead too, your left inlane is reporting an error in diag, and the slot switch is not working either, you've disconnected the white-gray wire somewhere.

Use switch EDGE test and test each of the row 8 switches, I bet you half of them don't work... Your problem is on one that DOES work; on one that DOES work, there should be two white wires, and only one is connected....

This is where the alligator clips and jumpering come into play...

tzrow 8 (resized).PNGtzrow 8 (resized).PNG

tzswithc (resized).PNGtzswithc (resized).PNG

#75 7 years ago

Themadman- first off thanks for your detailed help and suggestions- I'm going to give that all a shot later today- and upload the video.

With that said - I was checking out Clay's website showing off how to test the switches via the pins on the CPU (to be honest I think this is what you were suggesting Chris- but I didn't understand until I saw Clay's video).

What I did discover was this--

When I pull of plugs J206 and J208-- and use a jumper between the pins (directly on the CPU board) - they all work (aka I get an acknowledgement as if I press a switch) EXCEPT-- for when I connected

J206 - the 2nd pin from the right
to
J208 - the 4th pin from the right

I'm a novice as switch issues and I'm not sure how to read the matrix to see if this has meaning or not.

Lastly- I've put in brand new trough and rocket switches with brand new diodes. I have ruled out the switches- this is definitely as wiring issue. I'm guessing I stressed something along the line....

I also tried Clay's suggestion to hit the playfield hard- to see if faults pop up. Other than hurting my hand- that didn't disclose anything unfortunately.

Any suggestions?

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE!

#76 7 years ago

Ok spent a couple of hours (to my wife's chagrin) poking around.

Aside from the pin question noted above- I discovered that even though the switches all test out in switch test- they don't necessarily work during a game. This seems to be crucial to my issue.

Specifically I started a game and manually pressed the various switches along row 8.

What I discovered was that the row 8 switches do not "consistently" work when pressed during a game. This is something I didn't realize before.

I kept pressing them- and found that after a number of tries they would randomly seem to respond.

For the heck of it- I tossed the ball into the slot hole- and for the first time since these issues- it popped it back out with the sound effect.

I then tossed it straight to the outhole- and it - again for the first time- recognized that the ball had drained.

Not sure what this all means- but again, this appears to be a row 8 issue (that seems consistent).

I just got a logic probe- and honestly I don't know how to use it - yet lol.....but I read Chris' post on logic probes to track down a pulsed switch break so I figured for $18 bucks I would give that a shot....anyone have any good links to a video showing it in use on a pinball machine ?

#77 7 years ago
Quoted from mamemaster:

Themadman- first off thanks for your detailed help and suggestions- I'm going to give that all a shot later today- and upload the video.
With that said - I was checking out Clay's website showing off how to test the switches via the pins on the CPU (to be honest I think this is what you were suggesting Chris- but I didn't understand until I saw Clay's video).
What I did discover was this--
When I pull of plugs J206 and J208-- and use a jumper between the pins (directly on the CPU board) - they all work (aka I get an acknowledgement as if I press a switch) EXCEPT-- for when I connected
J206 - the 2nd pin from the right
to
J208 - the 4th pin from the right
I'm a novice as switch issues and I'm not sure how to read the matrix to see if this has meaning or not.
Lastly- I've put in brand new trough and rocket switches with brand new diodes. I have ruled out the switches- this is definitely as wiring issue. I'm guessing I stressed something along the line....
I also tried Clay's suggestion to hit the playfield hard- to see if faults pop up. Other than hurting my hand- that didn't disclose anything unfortunately.
Any suggestions?
THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE!

It's probably still not a MPU board problem, it's a diode or wiring problem that is intermittent (the funnest to track down).

If I'm guessing what you did correctly your J206-8 to J208-6 should NOT have produced anything, since those are both the connector keys, meaning they are not wired in. You can look at the switch matrix I posted above and see that those two pins are not listed in the row or column labels telling you where the connector ends and what wire color it is.

Clay is right to hit the playfield to see if there is an loose wire, the problem is all of row 8 are normally open switches, that are only closed normally during play. You actually did make a change when you hit the playfield, you've got at least the outhole switch and slot switch to work now, you just didn't see it, since there were no balls there when you hit the playfield.

The reason the gumball wouldn't load is the outhole switch, so let's keep focused there.

We have to figure out why it now works, and then sometimes doesn't. Weather there is a loose white/grey wire on one of the row 8 switches or it's broken going back to the MPU at J208-9. Since we want to outhole to work, Doing what you did between J206 and J209 with the jumper, short J206-1 to J206-9 and the machine should say the outhole switch is closed in the edge test. If it does that and you can not make it not say that as long as that jumper is there, then it is 100% a wiring problem.

Now you just have to look at all 8 switches in row 8, check, pull, tug, etc. on both white/grey wires on each switch in row 8, if you're lucky you'll find one that come off, and that could be your only problem, fix it and then check all of row 8 works and your done and working...

The other possibility is that you have a diode backwards on a switch somewhere, and when that switch is closed it causes row 8 not to work. This is a cause and effect problem, the switches in row 8 don't work ONLY when some other event is or is not happening. This could be any switch changing state, it may be open that causes it, it may be closed that causes it, but that other switch shorts out row 8 when something happens to it. This would be a good reason to disconnect the clock (do this while doing the test in the next paragraph, to make sure the clock doesn't effect the outhole switch), since it does have a row 8 switch in it, and the connectors on the clock have been known to do some flaky things...

We need to know what state ALL the other switches were in when the outhole switch is working. If it is currently working, go to edge test, and make sure it closes with a ball on it, then remove every other ball by hand from the machine but the one in the outhole. If the outhole switch changes state when removing another ball, we know we have a suspect switch under that other ball. If you can remove every ball, then close all 54 other switches by hand (well ignore the 8 in the clock for now). If one of those cause the outhole to change state, we have a suspect switch. We then have to figure out how that switch is effecting the outhole (it could be because of wrong wiring or a bad diode on an entirely different switch then the one that cause the symptom, but we at least have a place to start).

We have to figure out what you did to make the outhole (and slot, and rocket kicker) switches work again. Was it the hit to the table (meaning probably a loose wire), or is it because you have the balls resting in certain places which is bypassing a wrongly wired diode.

column (resized).PNGcolumn (resized).PNG

#78 7 years ago

My guess at this point is it's the diode that was wired wrong on that ramp switch shown in post # 57 & 58 or a faulty connector pin on the switch connectors on the cpu at j206-j208.

#79 7 years ago

RON- I never changed the diodes- when I switched out the ramp. I removed the switch- but left the diode on. I reattached the ramp- using photos - so I ensure the wires were exactly where I removed them. I'm confident it isn't that.

I've since replaced all of the diodes in row 8 (except for the 5M switches)- along with the physical switches as well including the outhole/diode.

I don't have the right parts to swap out J206/J208 connectors- so I need to order those to test that theory.

In interim I've physically pulled on every wire along 8- nothing is obvious- everything appears to be physically connected.

MADMAN- Re the switches "working" -technically they aren't, but I just hadn't tried pushing on switches with the game running. That was what produced my "success"....hmm....

Re the outhole- that does appear to be fully working. I've switched out the switch/diode- and the solder is sound. It works in switch test- but not in game play.

I have yet to unplug the clock. I'll try that next.

UPDATE- Disconnecting the clock had no effect- but it was worth a shot.

I tried again- pressing all of the row 8 switches during a started game- and was able to get the game to operate properly for a short time (a few minutes)- but again- they stopped responding... and back to the original abnormal behavior.

Hmm...obviously it isn't a diode or a switch-- or I'm guessing none of them would work. This is leading me to believe as we've all been guessing a loose wire.

I'm going to see if I can discern a pattern that "triggers" the proper behavior (if there is a pattern and not just luck that is).....

#80 7 years ago

Thanks for all the advise you guys are giving. I have had some weird issues to deal with as well and your ideas are great.

#81 7 years ago
Quoted from mamemaster:

RON- I never changed the diodes- when I switched out the ramp. I removed the switch- but left the diode on. I reattached the ramp- using photos - so I ensure the wires were exactly where I removed them. I'm confident it isn't that.
I've since replaced all of the diodes in row 8 (except for the 5M switches)- along with the physical switches as well including the outhole/diode.
I don't have the right parts to swap out J206/J208 connectors- so I need to order those to test that theory.
In interim I've physically pulled on every wire along 8- nothing is obvious- everything appears to be physically connected.
MADMAN- Re the switches "working" -technically they aren't, but I just hadn't tried pushing on switches with the game running. That was what produced my "success"....hmm....
Re the outhole- that does appear to be fully working. I've switched out the switch/diode- and the solder is sound. It works in switch test- but not in game play.
I tried again- pressing all of the row 8 switches during a started game- and was able to get the game to operate properly for a short time (a few minutes)- but again- they stopped responding... and back to the original abnormal behavior.
Hmm...obviously it isn't a diode or a switch-- or I'm guessing none of them would work. This is leading me to believe as we've all been guessing a loose wire.
I'm going to see if I can discern a pattern that "triggers" the proper behavior (if there is a pattern and not just luck that is).....

Did you already check your +12Vpower and +12Vdigital on Power-Driver-Board at TP 1 and TP3?
You know, especially the +12Vdigital is the important voltage for the comparators for the switch matrix rows. We all know the problems with weak +12Vdigital, if these are weak, you switch matrix can become crazy.

At least its a try, to first check the +12Vdigital. Best is to measure it under load, means mesauring the voltages when the all lamp test is running. Imho my few cents ...

#82 7 years ago

I am also suspect of this, this game has many mods jumped from various sources, I would unplug as many as I could and see if it makes any difference, or check the voltage with a meter if he has one.

#83 7 years ago

I'm doubting it's the mods- but I'll unplug all of them and see if that makes a difference.

With that said- I just put in a new driver board repaired by Clive at Cauldron. But- it can't hurt to try everything.

This machine was running for months with a hacked boardc before I swapped out that ramp- that's why I don't thinks it's the mods. Esp with the fixed driver board.

But I'll unplug mods- and check voltage. Obviously I need to check everything here.....thanks!

#84 7 years ago

If all these issues happened after you installed the ramp have you tried just unplugging the ramp switches under the playfeild and see how everthing else acts? Maybe the switch got messed up inside from heat when you soldered the wires on.

#85 7 years ago

I just don't see how a single switch or diode will cause other switches in the row to NOT operate. The only thing on the playfield that can take out all our part of row 8 is wiring, or a ground short, and you would know if there was a ground short.

#86 7 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I just don't see how a single switch or diode will cause other switches in the row to NOT operate. The only thing on the playfield that can take out all our part of row 8 is wiring, or a ground short, and you would if there was a ground short.

If you were to hook up the wires incorrectly, say with the diode backwards between the row and column and put the row wires from the MPU to this switch and the other row wire that continues onto the next switch in the row in the right configuration (and I've seen it done and had to troubleshoot it), on a switch in the right way where the column is on Normally closed of the switch and the row wires were split between common and Normally open, then the downstream switches in the row would only work when the switch wired incorrectly was closed, otherwise they would always show open, and you would get phantom closes on other switches on the same column when the switch was open.

By incorrectly splitting the bridged wires in the row between common and either normally open or normally closed, you now have made a switch, that dependent on weather there is a ball on it or not, now causes the rest of the row to function or not to function. The same can happen for the columns too, or can also cause it to be even weirder when the diode is on the wrong two legs of the switch or backwards; combine a backwards diode, and a split row wire, and you really get a hard to troubleshoot mess.

It is easily possible, for one switch to effect the entire row, and to cause phantom problems all over the matrix. That's why when you get really strange random closures in the matrix, you start looking at the box patterns in the matrix. The switch with the wrong wiring usually forms a "box" on the matrix with the switches it is causing to malfunction.

#87 7 years ago
Quoted from mamemaster:

You need to NOT do this in game mode, but run all the tests, very methodically, in switch EDGE test mode...

Since we know something changes state to make the switches start working, note where the balls are when the switches were working in game play. Remove ALL the balls from the machine and while in switch Edge place one ball in the outhole. If it doesn't work, add balls back by hand to the places they were, always keeping your eye on the box for the outhole switch #18. When you see it change state to working then we have something to look at. Your going to have to do one step at a time and in a test mode that doesn't allow many different things to change at once. When it game play your fighting ball searches, ball movement, a different number of balls in the trough and the gumball, and a number of different switches closing and opening, all of which can cause the issue.

Since the rest of the rows seem to work, we need to stop changing other things, the replacement of the diodes on every switch (meaning you've changed the wiring on every switch, and even if you think you got the all right open the possibility of change), the driver board, the ramp, and the mods, all add a second or third or forth thing that can be stacked up and going wrong, the jumper test also proved the MPU is fine, and the driver board doesn't effect switches, so there's no point changing it.

You need to focus on one thing and that one thing is row 8, and specifically the outhole switch. Lets find its problem first... You need to know what does and doesn't make it work. Shotgunning the machine and changing boards is only adding to the questions and not narrowing down the issue.

#88 7 years ago

OK I spend another couple of hours - and am now getting kinda frustrated. I'm trying to keep positive- but man this is the first time in 7 years I'm kinda stuck.

Here's what I did:

I removed multiple led mods (note the machine is fully Led with a color DMD) - but it was operating fine for many months until I changed that ramp. With that said, I removed (disconnected) 4 led spots, slot machine w/leds, led rocket, led robot, and led "door" in backglass. The readings on my driver read the same before and after.

Re switch EDGE mode- I double checked and this is what I've been doing all along. Chris had suggested that- and I'm not seeing anything obvious as compared to the "normal" matrix photo earlier in this thread.

The madman- I agree with you- I'm trying too much- and hoping for an easy answer with board swaps, diodes etc.

At the end of the day it worked before the ramp no it doesn't. It's so strange that all the switches check out - and work in Edge test!-- that's what's making this so hard to understand.

I've visually inspected the molex connectors - connecting/disconnecting multiple times- but haven't seen any improvement. I've tried to use the machine with the ramp molex connectors disconnected but that didn't can anything....

ugh!!!

#89 7 years ago

Can you provide a close-up, in-focus picture of the row connector?

#90 7 years ago

I've been poking around- and here's what I've noted- the rocket hole may be the key to this- but I can't say for sure yet.

There's a green wire striped in red- that connects that and the proximity switch. I've been having trouble with the proximity switch (the red replacement board)- and that red wire connects to that board.

I've managed to get it to play a couple of balls normally (a small relief) - by doing a sort of round robin of pressing the switches (when a game is started)- and it seems right now- that when the rocket goes off normally it sorta "resets" everything to operate normally.

Something else I've noted is that - when I do these "tests" I get a skill shot award when the ball goes down an outer lane. I'm guessing that's because I'm not launching the ball normally and the game is compensating- but who knows?

With that said- I'm determined to figure this out.

Or - bring it to TNT and toss it off Tucky's roof!

#91 7 years ago
Quoted from mamemaster:

when I do these "tests" I get a skill shot award when the ball goes down an outer lane. I'm guessing that's because I'm not launching the ball normally and the game is compensating- but who knows?

This sounds more like a switch matrix error than a game compensation. The only way to award a skill shot is to actually make the skill shot. In switch edge test, try this same scenario. You'll see more than one switch reported.
--
http://ChrisHiblerPinball.com/contact

#92 7 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

This sounds more like a switch matrix error than a game compensation. The only way to award a skill shot is to actually make the skill shot. In switch edge test, try this same scenario. You'll see more than one switch reported.
--
http://ChrisHiblerPinball.com/contact

Are you saying to see if I set off a skill shot switch when I press an in lane switch?

UPDATE- I put into switch edge mode- and tested all switches again-not seeing any "phantom" presses if that's what you were suggesting?

I feel I'm so close!!!

#93 7 years ago

Ok- I may (I PRAY) I discovered something important.

I physically and methodically taped down all switches in row 8.

Once I did that I found something that may or may not mean anything on the upper left of my switch matrix- see that extra dot? (2nd row down from top on the left).

It appears when I press the 5M on the target adjacent to the slot machine- (row 8)- and will "clear" aka go away when I press left inlane 2 (again- row 8).

I was able to replicate this over and over......no other switches appear to do that.

I'll try this in game play to see if there's any connection-- thoughts?

IMG_5728 (resized).JPGIMG_5728 (resized).JPG

UPDATE - SUCCESS sort of!

There's a clear correlation between that 5M target and the left inlane- again both row 8 switches.

I started a game- let it go through the "lost ball" then pressed the 5M and then the left inlane. The machine played almost 100% and recognized the ball drain.

I did note that when it kicked the ball out of the slot (again row 8 switch) the solnoid fired a couple of times after the ball vacated- I'm assuming the machine wasn't seeing the ball as having vacated. The same happened to the rocket- again all row 8.

Any theories- on why when I press the 5M followed by the in left inlane it appears to work for a bit? and more importantly what does that extra dot outside the Switch matrix mean when it comes on?

Hmm.....

#94 7 years ago
Quoted from mamemaster:

Once I did that I found something that may or may not mean anything on the upper left of my switch matrix- see that extra dot? (2nd row down from top on the left).
It appears when I press the 5M on the target adjacent to the slot machine- (row 8)- and will "clear" aka go away when I press left inlane 2 (again- row 8).
I was able to replicate this over and over......no other switches appear to do that.
I'll try this in game play to see if there's any connection-- thoughts?

There's a clear correlation between that 5M target and the left inlane- again both row 8 switches.
I started a game- let it go through the "lost ball" then pressed the 5M and then the left inlane. The machine played almost 100% and recognized the ball drain.
I did note that when it kicked the ball out of the slot (again row 8 switch) the solnoid fired a couple of times after the ball vacated- I'm assuming the machine wasn't seeing the ball as having vacated. The same happened to the rocket- again all row 8.
Any theories- on why when I press the 5M followed by the in left inlane it appears to work for a bit? and more importantly what does that extra dot outside the Switch matrix mean when it comes on?
Hmm.....

Mine does the same thing. Extra dot when pressing the 5M in test and clears when pressing the inlane.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#95 7 years ago
Quoted from mamemaster:

Hmm.....

You can ignore that extra dot on the very left, it's a screen draw issue with an out of place pixel, that code flaw is in most WPC games. It means nothing.

The extra rocket kicks could be either the rocket switch didn't open (which would match your theory, but may not be true), a full ball search, an after shoot ball search (there is a mini ball search that happens after a ball is shot, to clear the rocket and slot), or a couple of other things.

Also to clear a previous post up, a orange (lowest) skill shot is awarded if the rocket switch, slingshots, or hitchhiker switch goes active after the ball shooter switch is deactivated AND the slot switch or slot prox is NOT activated first (the machine compensates the skill shot since the ball didn't make it to the slot).

I've reattached a switch matrix that is color coded to help out... What is inside the red boxes are what shows on the switch matrix in edge test (Column 9 does NOT show on the Edge test screen, but you need to know it is there).
Rows are in gray and are white wires on switches, columns are in green and are green wires on switches.
Dark Yellow boxes are Opto switches, and are normally closed when NOT active, meaning they will show as a box when there is NO ball upon them, and as only a dot when there IS a ball upon them (meaning the ones in YELLOW show backwards from the rest of the matrix).
Light Yellows are Flipper button opto switches.
The switches with Blue on them are the switches that are normally closed when the machine is in switch test and there are ZERO (0) balls in the machine. If there are at least three balls in the machine, and the next ball would NOT be a powerball, then the switches in purple would also be closed (If the next ball is a powerball or the trough is empty then 26 would be open.)

The last pic of your switch matrix shows it in really bad shape. I really need to know where the balls were and what switches were taped down... To get the matrix looking like that you would need:
4 balls to the right of the outhole in the trough, the rightmost one being metal.
Al least 1 ball in the outhole
A ball in the shooter lane
a ball in the rocket kicker
a ball in the slot machine
a ball stuck in the left outlane,
a ball stuck in the right outlane,
two balls stuck in left inlane,
a ball stuck in the right inlane.

So there needed to be AT LEAST 13 balls in the machine for that kind of display on the switch matrix, and at least half of them stuck in the inlanes and outlanes (not likely).

I'm also curious, if you really taped down all the row 8 switches, then the picture does NOT show 4 of the row 8 switches as active, but shows a lot of switches that shouldn't have been active as active (in ORANGE on attachment), if you can tell us the state of the balls and which switches were taped down when you took that picture, we can start narrowing down the issue (take a look at the TZswitchwrong attachment, if it is in Orange, it is an active switch in your switch matrix that should not have been, and that's assuming you had 3 balls in the trough with the right most being metal.)

We also need to know if the clock is or is not hooked up currently, and where it is disconnected if not hooked up.

You need to stay in switch test, especially if that is what your matrix looks like currently. We can find the problem if you stay OUT OF GAME MODE, and we methodically change the state of ONE switch at a time, and look at the ENTIRE matrix for changes (since all of those switches could not have really been closed when you took the picture).

If the matrix still shows what it shows in the picture, and you can tell us where every single ball is, and what switches you have physically closed (by tape), we can form some ideas from there of where to look for the issue.

P.S. if you have the third magnet mod, let us know that now too.

Also what has the clock been doing, and are there ANY ERRORS WHEN YOU GO INTO TEST MODE?

tzswithc (resized).PNGtzswithc (resized).PNG
tzswithcwrong (resized).pngtzswithcwrong (resized).png

#96 7 years ago

WOW. Thank you the madman (I'm sure you're not really that mad!) for going above and beyond here to help- very kind of you.

I think what's throwing you off is that I had all the balls in (6) PLUS I had switches taped down. That's why it looks "bad".

Re the clock. It's been functioning perfectly- near as I can tell. I haven't had any errors.

I turned it off only because I keep switching the machine on/off- and didn't want to keep hearing it cue up to 12 each time.

I need to absorb your recommendations- and go back in - with the machine only in switch edge test.

Again- THANK YOU!

Mitch

#97 7 years ago
Quoted from themadman:

You can ignore that extra dot on the very left, it's a screen draw issue with an out of place pixel, that code flaw is in most WPC games. It means nothing.
The extra rocket kicks could be either the rocket switch didn't open (which would match your theory, but may not be true), a full ball search, an after shoot ball search (there is a mini ball search that happens after a ball is shot, to clear the rocket and slot), or a couple of other things.
Also to clear a previous post up, a orange (lowest) skill shot is awarded if the rocket switch, slingshots, or hitchhiker switch goes active after the ball shooter switch is deactivated AND the slot switch or slot prox is NOT activated first (the machine compensates the skill shot since the ball didn't make it to the slot).
I've reattached a switch matrix that is color coded to help out... What is inside the red boxes are what shows on the switch matrix in edge test (Column 9 does NOT show on the Edge test screen, but you need to know it is there).
Rows are in gray and are white wires on switches, columns are in green and are green wires on switches.
Dark Yellow boxes are Opto switches, and are normally closed when NOT active, meaning they will show as a box when there is NO ball upon them, and as only a dot when there IS a ball upon them (meaning the ones in YELLOW show backwards from the rest of the matrix).
Light Yellows are Flipper button opto switches.
The switches with Blue on them are the switches that are normally closed when the machine is in switch test and there are ZERO (0) balls in the machine. If there are at least three balls in the machine, and the next ball would NOT be a powerball, then the switches in purple would also be closed (If the next ball is a powerball or the trough is empty then 26 would be open.)
The last pic of your switch matrix shows it in really bad shape. I really need to know where the balls were and what switches were taped down... To get the matrix looking like that you would need:
4 balls to the right of the outhole in the trough, the rightmost one being metal.
Al least 1 ball in the outhole
A ball in the shooter lane
a ball in the rocket kicker
a ball in the slot machine
a ball stuck in the left outlane,
a ball stuck in the right outlane,
two balls stuck in left inlane,
a ball stuck in the right inlane.
So there needed to be AT LEAST 13 balls in the machine for that kind of display on the switch matrix, and at least half of them stuck in the inlanes and outlanes (not likely).
I'm also curious, if you really taped down all the row 8 switches, then the picture does NOT show 4 of the row 8 switches as active, but shows a lot of switches that shouldn't have been active as active (in ORANGE on attachment), if you can tell us the state of the balls and which switches were taped down when you took that picture, we can start narrowing down the issue (take a look at the TZswitchwrong attachment, if it is in Orange, it is an active switch in your switch matrix that should not have been, and that's assuming you had 3 balls in the trough with the right most being metal.)
We also need to know if the clock is or is not hooked up currently, and where it is disconnected if not hooked up.
You need to stay in switch test, especially if that is what your matrix looks like currently. We can find the problem if you stay OUT OF GAME MODE, and we methodically change the state of ONE switch at a time, and look at the ENTIRE matrix for changes (since all of those switches could not have really been closed when you took the picture).
If the matrix still shows what it shows in the picture, and you can tell us where every single ball is, and what switches you have physically closed (by tape), we can form some ideas from there of where to look for the issue.
P.S. if you have the third magnet mod, let us know that now too.
Also what has the clock been doing, and are there ANY ERRORS WHEN YOU GO INTO TEST MODE?

This isn't my game and I don't have this problem, but you deserve a major thanks for this post. Incredible amount of work and time to put the images together, describe them, and detail what to test.

Mamemaster: have you tried testing/playing the game with the clock unplugged AND disabled from the options menu?

#98 7 years ago
Quoted from mamemaster:

WOW. Thank you the madman (I'm sure you're not really that mad!) for going above and beyond here to help- very kind of you.
I think what's throwing you off is that I had all the balls in (6) PLUS I had switches taped down. That's why it looks "bad".
Re the clock. It's been functioning perfectly- near as I can tell. I haven't had any errors.
I turned it off only because I keep switching the machine on/off- and didn't want to keep hearing it cue up to 12 each time.
I need to absorb your recommendations- and go back in - with the machine only in switch edge test.
Again- THANK YOU!
Mitch

What switches did you have taped down?
Were they all in row 8?
Also were any of the 6 balls you had loaded in the gumball machine? Or were they all out on the playfield, where exactly (down to the ball and position in the trough right to left?

I've taken your picture, and applied it to the switch matrix, just for reference...

The reason to stay out of game play, is that things like the gumball geneva switch, ball poppers, the shooter lane, etc, are changed during ball searches, and if one of those things is the problem, then allowing the machine to physically change the state of those switches means we have to start troubleshooting from a different place each time. Thus, too many variables are changing to troubleshoot easily.

tzswithc (resized).jpgtzswithc (resized).jpg

#99 7 years ago

Wow again! - I appreciate your help here!!

Ok. I just spent sometime and did the following:

Taped down and/or secured with a ball all of the following switches (reference in photo 1):

PHOTO 1-
Left outlane
Left Inlane
Right Inlane
Right outlane
Outhole
Rt Trough
Ctr Trough
Left trough
Far Left Trough
Rocket
Slot
Ball shooter
Upper skillshot
Center skillshot
Lower skillshot

The following photos are when I removed the tape from each of the switches referenced below:

Photo:
2 - shooter
3- left outlane
4- right outlane
5- right inlane
6- upper skill
7- center skill
8- lower skill
9- left inlane
10- rocket
11- outhole
12- far left trough
13- left trough
14- center trough
15- rt trough
16- slot

17- back to original state. No switches taped down or balls holding them down. All balls removed.

Assuming I didn't mess up my photo order- here are the images in order matching the numbers above.

THE PHOTOS DIDN'T UPLOAD IN ORDER- but I marked them. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

6 (resized).JPG6 (resized).JPG
7 (resized).JPG7 (resized).JPG
8 (resized).JPG8 (resized).JPG
9 (resized).JPG9 (resized).JPG
10 (resized).JPG10 (resized).JPG
11 (resized).JPG11 (resized).JPG
12 (resized).JPG12 (resized).JPG
14 (resized).JPG14 (resized).JPG
13 (resized).JPG13 (resized).JPG
15 (resized).JPG15 (resized).JPG
16 (resized).JPG16 (resized).JPG
17 (resized).JPG17 (resized).JPG
2 (resized).JPG2 (resized).JPG
3 (resized).JPG3 (resized).JPG
4 (resized).JPG4 (resized).JPG
5 (resized).JPG5 (resized).JPG
1 (resized).JPG1 (resized).JPG

#100 7 years ago

Just noticed this is the 1 month anniversary of me killing my TZ....cake for everyone!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 14.95
$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

There are 166 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fun-new-problem-twilight-zone/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.