View topic image gallery

IMG_2394 (resized).JPG
IMG_2393 (resized).JPG
IMG_2392 (resized).JPG
IMG_2382 (resized).JPG
IMG_2385 (resized).JPG

#1 7 years ago

Hello all,

I am still a newbie at pinball and a dumb dumb when it comes to electronics but trying to learn as much as I can because i now caught the pinball bug and hope i never recover. I recently bought a Funhouse from a co-worker that sat in his finished basement. He told me that the left flippers stopped working and that was the only issue with the machine. A customer of mine who is a pinhead said that flipper issues are usually pretty easy to fix so i bought the machine because i got what i felt was a fair price 2.5k. I got the machine home and my 9 year old son and i started to read the online schematic. We checked the fuses and sure enough the fuse that controls the left flippers was blown. I was praying this was the issue and changing the fuse would do the trick. I changed the fuse and sure enough the bottom left flipper worked but the top left flipper still did not. I lifted the playfield to see if i could find a issue and noticed that a red wire was not connected to the coil and also the coil looked like it was old and needed to be replaced. I looked to see where the red wire was connected and it looked like it came undone from the middle connection on the left flipper coil so i just wrapped the wire around where i thought it came lose and when i pressed the left flipper button control the top left flipper slightly went up but then when i pressed the button to activate the left flippers again nothing happened. I checked the fuse again and sure enough the fuse was blown. I changed the fuse again and disconnected the red wire from the middle connection point of the coil and the bottom left flipper worked again. I am hoping someone can give me some advice where this red wire should be connected and if it is supposed to go on the middle connection point of the coil what does one think the issue is. Really sorry if my lingo does not make sense but again i am a newbie and just started to learn and collect pinball machines.

#2 7 years ago

IMG_2385 (resized).JPGIMG_2385 (resized).JPG

IMG_2382 (resized).JPGIMG_2382 (resized).JPG

#3 7 years ago

Sounds like the coil is bad. There are ways to test it but it looks cooked so I would just source a replacement and a replacement coil sleeve.

Because the bottom flipper works, I am guessing you have dodged a more challenging transistor replacement.

Hope that helps.

#4 7 years ago

It looks like the EOS is broken off or missing from that assembly in the pic.

#5 7 years ago

Could you post a pic of the assembly head on?

#6 7 years ago

Sorry for the delay was traveling for work and just got back

IMG_2392 (resized).JPGIMG_2392 (resized).JPG

IMG_2393 (resized).JPGIMG_2393 (resized).JPG

IMG_2394 (resized).JPGIMG_2394 (resized).JPG

#7 7 years ago

your coil looks heat stressed, buy a new one and a coil sleeve. One of the diodes on your current coil is broken off as well, and is what caused your issue.

Buy a rebuild kit. Get rid of the conical compression spring and use the expansion (aka WPC style) expansion spring instead.

The cap has to go to the middle lug and the non banded outside lug. Look at your other flippers tomverify.

#8 7 years ago

Thank you Dsuperbee, I greatly appreciate you taking your time out of your day to help me.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fun-house-upper-flipper-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.