57d359f5a6d512542c2605fa11cdbc29af63d774_(resized).jpeg
7b842fb85bb4e803b37b794a39ec48aaaa8956c6_(resized).jpg
6b22beb3444470cc54f7ad6320b6493d7f9adb88_(resized).jpg
1b8976c29620ecaf1fff3efc2429e5bed032e71d_(resized).jpg
IMG_7716_(resized).JPG
IMG_7722_(resized).JPG
IMG_7707_(resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

I picked up (2) Fun House machines in pretty bad shape. They were stored in a warehouse for a number of years. One is in much better shape then the other so my plan is to get 1 fully functional and work on the other as time permits. I'm thinking once I get the second working the I will sell/trade the other as a project machine.

IMG_7178_(resized).JPGIMG_7178_(resized).JPG

#2 8 years ago

Playfields:

IMG_7191_(resized).JPGIMG_7191_(resized).JPG
IMG_7189_(resized).JPGIMG_7189_(resized).JPG

IMG_7192_(resized).JPGIMG_7192_(resized).JPG

IMG_7193_(resized).JPGIMG_7193_(resized).JPG

#3 8 years ago

I decided to start pulling the mylar and it's looking pretty nice.

IMG_7261_(resized).JPGIMG_7261_(resized).JPG

#4 8 years ago

I am glad to see that you have decided to restore and bring those two games back to life. Congratulations on your decision!

#5 8 years ago

Having some issues with the electronics. After plugging in both machines the sound boards blew on both. Exact same place.

I ended up calling Clive @ Coin Op Caldron and he said it's pretty normal for those capacitors to blow after long term storage.

I went ahead and replaced the ones and the board is working now.

I decided to send my other sound board, Both CPU boards and one power board.

IMG_7251_(resized).JPGIMG_7251_(resized).JPG

IMG_7258_(resized).JPGIMG_7258_(resized).JPG

#6 8 years ago

Cabinet bottom.

One cabinet bottom completely fell and was hanging by the transformer and the other is sagging badly. I made a trip to Lowe's and had them cut me 2 pieces of MDF. Will cut new holes out this week.

IMG_7266_(resized).JPGIMG_7266_(resized).JPG

IMG_7267_(resized).JPGIMG_7267_(resized).JPG

IMG_7280_(resized).JPGIMG_7280_(resized).JPG

#7 8 years ago

Transformer cleanup.

IMG_7269_(resized).JPGIMG_7269_(resized).JPG

IMG_7281_(resized).JPGIMG_7281_(resized).JPG

IMG_7265_(resized).JPGIMG_7265_(resized).JPG

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from Jonjon74:

I decided to start pulling the mylar and it's looking pretty nice.

Hi, what technique did you use to pull up the mylar?

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

Hi, what technique did you use to pull up the mylar?

Freeze Spray.

#10 8 years ago

any paint come up off the playfield? I have a whirl Wind I am thinking on pulling the mylar

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

any paint come up off the playfield? I have a whirl Wind I am thinking on pulling the mylar</blockquote

None at all. Worked really well for me.

#12 8 years ago

Freeze spray is the way to go. Did my playfield as well. The blue color is Createx W013 Wicked Lagoon Blue as an exact match on the large blue area's. In the netherlands i order it at: http://www.airbrush-services-almere.nl/shopasa/contents/nl/d170_02.html

For more information and pics of my FH playfield visit: http://www.flipperforum.be/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5288

Good luck man!

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

any paint come up off the playfield? I have a whirl Wind I am thinking on pulling the mylar

Use the freeze spray method. I used a blowdryer on my F14-tomcat and pulled a lot of paint of the inserts winding me up with replacing all the insert decals. Used freeze on my BTTF, FH and even on my Fire (which has a tendency of being very difficult) and almost no lift. Be careful, be patient and be willing to invest. I usually use 2,5 can of 400ml freeze 75 which costs 19 euros (in NL) per can. So removing mylar usually costs me around 50 euros.

If you want some pics, check my site (in Dutch however): http://www.flippergast.nl

#14 8 years ago

Update: All mylar is off and I'm having a hard time getting the glue off, Tried all the tricks and the only thing that is working is goo gone and scrubbing. But it's cleaning up!

IMG_7382_(resized).JPGIMG_7382_(resized).JPG

#15 8 years ago

When you take the mylar off you should remove the glue right after or it becomes concrete. Try using ronsonsol lighter fluid I have really good luck with that. Put a piece or 2 of paper towel down and soak it and let it stay for 10 or so minutes and then work the glue. If still very difficult let it soak for longer not letting the paper towel dry.

#16 8 years ago

What exactly do you guys and gals use for freeze spray? Is it canned air used upside down?

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from fiberdude120:

What exactly do you guys and gals use for freeze spray? Is it canned air used upside down?

Yes canned air upside down and don't be afraid to put a lot on. Wait till it ices over and peel away.

#18 8 years ago

Before/after

Well, this is the best I can get the playfield. Now onto cleaning parts.

IMG_7176_(resized).JPGIMG_7176_(resized).JPG

IMG_7393_(resized).JPGIMG_7393_(resized).JPG

#19 8 years ago

Progress

IMG_7413_(resized).JPGIMG_7413_(resized).JPG

#20 8 years ago

Aren't you going to do touchups and protect your playfield??

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from HarrieD:

Aren't you going to do touchups and protect your playfield??

I've done some minor touch up on the bare wood areas. Not really comfortable on anything more.

I'm really looking for a players machine when done.

#22 8 years ago

Rudy Rudy Rudy

IMG_7415_(resized).JPGIMG_7415_(resized).JPG

#23 8 years ago

Great job Jon! Appreciate the text updates when you get time.

#24 8 years ago

If you don't protect your playfield the artwork is going to come off and all of your work will be obsolete. Pity.

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from HarrieD:

If you don't protect your playfield the artwork is going to come off and all of your work will be obsolete. Pity.

From what I've been reading waxing works great.

#26 8 years ago

New bottom cut and installed.

IMG_7434_(resized).JPGIMG_7434_(resized).JPG

IMG_7440_(resized).JPGIMG_7440_(resized).JPG

#27 8 years ago

Legs. before/after.

Hard to see on the after pic, but they came out really well.

IMG_7438_(resized).JPGIMG_7438_(resized).JPG

IMG_7439_(resized).JPGIMG_7439_(resized).JPG

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from Jonjon74:

I've done some minor touch up on the bare wood areas. Not really comfortable on anything more.
I'm really looking for a players machine when done.

With the way you are going it looks like a full restoration. Why not go all the way. Those paint touch ups will ware out quicker than you think and then you will be back to sqaure one.

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

With the way you are going it looks like a full restoration. Why not go all the way. Those paint touch ups will ware out quicker than you think and then you will be back to sqaure one.

I completely agree. This is, I suppose, an underhanded compliment, but I don't mean it to be one: You did such a beautiful job replacing that bottom, that it's a shame to leave any part of the machine looking like shit. I'm with Flash on this one...you probably have the skills to make this a collector quality machine. And you should. (But you probably won't, and that's your prerogative!)

#30 8 years ago

Thanks, I guess, lol. I do have set of skills, but nothing close to what u would take to get the playfield in good shape. I can't mix colors to match, Making stenciles, paint fine curves, circles. I've looked at the guides and its pushing my conferment zone.

I also checked with repair venders and a new play field is cheaper but still outside my budget.

Do y'all have any reasonable solutions?

Thanks

#31 8 years ago

Sell the playfields you have now and other parts you have changed that are still usuable and buy new playfields. Save up for the difference.

#32 8 years ago

Dammit! I was just gonna say that...

#33 8 years ago

2 questions:

1. Does the playfield look at bad?

2. Whats this playfield worth?

IMG_7413_(resized).JPGIMG_7413_(resized).JPG

#34 8 years ago

1. Kinda. You've got some planking, it looks like, some chewed up inserts, and some discoloration.
2. Not much. Not many people would buy that to even restore because Marco makes reproductions, which kills the restored PF market in the same way MMr killed the value of MM.

Here's what's frustrating for a guy like me: You've got beautiful new white rubbers and nice looking plastics sitting on top of a playfield that's way past its prime. Even your ball trough looks immaculate. You've really done a wonderful job. Sell the parts from the other game, collect $700, and get yourself a new playfield. You can thank yourself (and me) later when you've got a wonderful machine. Of course, you'll need some new cabinet decals as well, but you're still coming in under $1000 to really make the game pop.

Again, I realize that doing this might not be in your wheel house, but the job you did on the bottom of the cab tells me otherwise.

#35 8 years ago

Do you think it would be better to sell the second funhouse as a project machine or part it out? How much could I get for either?

#36 8 years ago

That or grab the best parts from the second one put it on this restored one and then sell the other one as a project. You would end up with an amazing game and still have money left in your pocket. Not sur eon pricepoint

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

That or grab the best parts from the second one put it on this restored one and then sell the other one as a project. You would end up with an amazing game and still have money left in your pocket. Not sur eon pricepoint

I kinda leading in that direction. Anyone have any ideas on what the second project machine would go for?

#38 8 years ago

Wouldn't be surprised if you got over 1k for a project Funhouse with parts missing.

#39 8 years ago

Saw a really rough Funhouse at an auction a month ago that went for $1800. GI only.

#40 8 years ago

The price of a project machine IMO, depends a lot on local demand. If it were local to me (200 miles or less), I'd pay around $1k for it, but it is one of my dream machines.

For me, I don't like buying projects I can't personally inspect, and get an idea what I am getting into.

#41 8 years ago

New top back.

IMG_7450_(resized).JPGIMG_7450_(resized).JPG

IMG_7452_(resized).JPGIMG_7452_(resized).JPG

#42 8 years ago

Fresh paint.

IMG_7461_(resized).JPGIMG_7461_(resized).JPG

IMG_7448_(resized).JPGIMG_7448_(resized).JPG

#43 8 years ago

Looks good

#44 8 years ago

Question: I know you're probably using a circular saw to cut the small holes in the back box back panel and vent holes on the cabinet bottom. But what did you use to cut the big speaker hole? Is there a circular saw that big?

#45 8 years ago

Not sure how the OP did it but using a circle cutter on a router is probably the easiest way to get a nice round circle. Router pivots around a hole drilled at the center of your proposed cutout. You can even make one yourself out of a piece of good quality ply.

I used one like this. http://www.parts-express.com/jasper-circle-jig-model-200--365-250?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla

speaker_cutout_(resized).jpgspeaker_cutout_(resized).jpg

#46 8 years ago

I used a hole saw for the smaller ones and a jig saw for the larger hole. I made a makeshift compass.

Like this:

http://www.ronhazelton.com/tips/how_to_make_a_compass_to_draw_large_circles

#47 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Question: I know you're probably using a circular saw to cut the small holes in the back box back panel and vent holes on the cabinet bottom....

That would take one helluva carpenter

#48 8 years ago
Quoted from gutz:

That would take one helluva carpenter

Huh? How would you do it? I'm confused...

#49 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Huh? How would you do it? I'm confused...

He is referring to your comment about using a circular saw to cut holes.

See attached pic of circular saw.

dewalt_(resized).jpgdewalt_(resized).jpg

#50 8 years ago

Blackbox sanded and started applying wood filler. I gotta say this plastic wood filler is pretty awesome.

IMG_7466_(resized).JPGIMG_7466_(resized).JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bethel Park, PA
$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 22.50
$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.95
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

13,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Haledon, NJ
8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fun-house-restoration/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.