Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190610_141259 (resized).jpg
polished-guide (resized).jpg
1560141480002632162804079037181 (resized).jpg
20190609_231530 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Hi all,
Just picked up a well worn Fun House on Friday night. The pictures I had to go off didn't show the extensive wear of the playfield. The protective film had been removed at some point and the graphics are beat way beyond a touch up. Most everything else seems to be ok on the game. I was really looking forward to this one and the 7hr drive 1-way to pick it up was too much investment in it for me to just walk away from. I'm new to this hobby but it looks like the best alternative in this case is a whole new playfield (most seem to suggest NOT doing the screenprint overlay). That said, I haven't been able to find a playfield in stock anywhere. Am I missing a source for this?
Also, I'm in central Iowa if anyone knows of a good pinball restoration guy around here? I don't mind taking on a little restoration job but I'm not sure Fun House is the one to practice on.
Thanks!

20190609_231530 (resized).jpg20190609_231530 (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago
Quoted from MLmotorsport:

Hi all,
Just picked up a well worn Fun House on Friday night. The pictures I had to go off didn't show the extensive wear of the playfield. The protective film had been removed at some point and the graphics are beat way beyond a touch up. Most everything else seems to be ok on the game. I was really looking forward to this one and the 7hr drive 1-way to pick it up was too much investment in it for me to just walk away from. I'm new to this hobby but it looks like the best alternative in this case is a whole new playfield (most seem to suggest NOT doing the screenprint overlay). That said, I haven't been able to find a playfield in stock anywhere. Am I missing a source for this?
Also, I'm in central Iowa if anyone knows of a good pinball restoration guy around here? I don't mind taking on a little restoration job but I'm not sure Fun House is the one to practice on.
Thanks![quoted image]

About $1200 from Mirco (overseas):
https://mircoplayfields.com/en/p/funhouse-mirco-playfield

About $1000 here (USA):
http://www.pinballsales.com/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=249&idcategory=36

CPR has a full plastics set $185
https://classicplayfields.com/shop/pinball-plastics/funhouse/

You'll be fine. Take a LOT of pictures (a LOT, from every angle at every step of the teardown. If you think you've taken too many, you've only taken a half as many as you need to for the re-assembly), ask a lot of questions, you'll have it swapped in no time and learn a LOT about pinball machines in the process.

Start a thread when you start the process and document it for posterity.

#3 4 years ago

Thank you for the crazy fast replies. I dont know why I couldn't find that one in the states that you linked.
Is a rotisserie a must-have for this job? I have too many projects as it is but I'd guess having a pro do the job may get pricey (if I could even find one around here). Any estimate on the hours a 1st-timer/novice might need to complete the job?
Funny thing is that all of the plastics are 100% intact. The step ramp is the only damage I've found. That and Rudy's eyelids are inop. Oh, and that it starts up in factory reset everytime its turned on.

1560141480002632162804079037181 (resized).jpg1560141480002632162804079037181 (resized).jpg
#4 4 years ago

Thank you for the crazy fast replies. I dont know why I couldn't find that one in the states that you linked.
Is a rotisserie a must-have for this job? I have too many projects as it is but I'd guess having a pro do the job may get pricey (if I could even find one around here). Any estimate on the hours a 1st-timer/novice might need to complete the job?
Funny thing is that all of the plastics are 100% intact. The step ramp is the only damage I've found. That and Rudy's eyelids are inop. Oh, and that it starts up in factory reset everytime its turned on.[quoted image]

Depends on how much time you spend on it. A rotisserie is not necessary. It makes things easier, but you can do it without one. I've done quite a few playfield swaps and never had a rotisserie.

If you take your time and spend a few hours a day or just a couple long weekend days every week, probably 45-60 days, taking it slow. Maybe a little longer if you're lost at various junctures (wiring harness and pop bumpers are trouble spots)

Even though your plastics are complete, they're old and will look yellow next to the crisp new playfield whites, so you're likely gonna get a new set of plastics.

Step ramp is $149
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/PR013

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Depends on how much time you spend on it. A rotisserie is not necessary. It makes things easier, but you can do it without one. I've done quite a few playfield swaps and never had a rotisserie.
If you take your time and spend a few hours a day or just a couple long weekend days every week, probably 45-60 days, taking it slow. Maybe a little longer if you're lost at various junctures (wiring harness and pop bumpers are trouble spots)
Even though your plastics are complete, they're old and will look yellow next to the crisp new playfield whites, so you're likely gonna get a new set of plastics.
Step ramp is $149
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/PR013

Wow... so mid-range 50 days at 5 hrs per day = 250 hours to transfer the playfield? Glad I asked because I'd struggle to find that kind of time over several years - and I'd be missing just playing the game with my kids! Shoot, anyone want a nicely worn FunHouse + cash in exchange for a nice one? : )

#6 4 years ago

I say go for it. You’ll learn a ton and FH isn’t too bad of a swap. Rotisserie is great, but you can do it without. It depends how quick you move and how detailed you go. If it’s fully working, you can swap and go and cut out a lot of time.

#7 4 years ago

Wow... so mid-range 50 days at 5 hrs per day = 250 hours to transfer the playfield? Glad I asked because I'd struggle to find that kind of time over several years - and I'd be missing just playing the game with my kids! Shoot, anyone want a nicely worn FunHouse + cash in exchange for a nice one? : )

Oh, no, I was thinking more like 1 (or occasionally 2) hours a day if you do it every day (being generous since it's your first time) or 8 hours on each weekend. So more like 45-80 hours. But it's really hard to judge your time because before I did my first playfield swap I had done a number of topside teardowns, so you'd be jumping in cold.

But even if it takes a while, it's worth it for the experience you'll gain doing it. I worked on a really nice Theatre of Magic complete teardown, playfield removal and clearcoat, then reassembly on and off for a YEAR. It wasn't a steady thing, I just worked on it when I had time.

Plus Funhouse isn't nearly as big a nightmare swap as an Indiana Jones or Star Trek:TNG.

#8 4 years ago

buy a tumbler it will be your best friend in cleaning all your hardware and making them look brand new

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

buy a tumbler it will be your best friend in cleaning all your hardware and making them look brand new

I've had better results with a buffing wheel, plus you can use that to make mirror-like stainless guides.

polished-guide (resized).jpgpolished-guide (resized).jpg
#10 4 years ago

My USA price is 999 usd shipped. The price you see on the EU website includes 19% sales tax and will be taken off once you login. It you can find them in my pinside store or contact me via PM.

Regards,
Mirco

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I've had better results with a buffing wheel, plus you can use that to make mirror-like stainless guides.[quoted image]

Indeed but cost you a fair amount of time? tumbler just chuck it in and come back three days later. Stuff i get out is very close to mirror finish. certainly beats doing it by hand (for me any way, very short on time)

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

Indeed but cost you a fair amount of time? tumbler just chuck it in and come back three days later. Stuff i get out is very close to mirror finish. certainly beats doing it by hand (for me any way, very short on time)

It's not that bad. For posts, I run a drill counter to the spin direction of the buffing wheel. Polishes each one seconds. I can get a machine's worth of hardware done in about a half hour. The stainless guides take longer and are a little trickier for the large pieces, but in about an hour or two you can have all the guides (for most pins) reflecting like a mirror. The nice part is once you've done this it makes less dust than "grained" guides from the ball rolling on them.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

russdx Interested in more info on your tumbler. Never used one.

#14 4 years ago

Its not as bad as it sounds...search for threads by @dmacy, he does a great job of documenting playfield swaps. You can learn a lot by following along in some other threads.
I take an average of 1000 pictures when I do a full game restoration. A rotisserie is great, but not needed
There is an incredibly satisfying feeling when you power up the game with a brand new playfield for the first time...

#15 4 years ago

Finishing my restoration, only have 3 switchs and the left slingshot that are not working to sort out.
Bought the playfield from Mirco, really happy with it!

Plastics are from CPR: good but fragile print, beware.
Don't remember where I bought the ramps.

(Dont't pay attention to the scratches, that's not on the pf but on the playfield protector)
20190610_141259 (resized).jpg20190610_141259 (resized).jpg

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

russdx Interested in more info on your tumbler. Never used one.

some good info here
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tumblers-and-walnut-media/page/2#post-4975720

some people don't like to use them and some do, guess I'm a tumbler guy as i love them does the work whist you sleep

#17 4 years ago

50hrs is much more palatable. Thank you all for your encouragement. This seems like a great community and a good resource for help when I'm in over my head which makes it easier to go ahead with it.
I hate to change the subject and please steer me to a thread that's covered this if you know of one but what are some good must-have tools for a project like this? I have the basic carpenter air tools and power drills but what are some more pin specific tools I will need? Like:
- rotisserie (debating this - I could see doing more restorations in the future if this one goes well)
- buffing wheel
- tumbler
- multimeter
Etc

#18 4 years ago

50hrs is much more palatable. Thank you all for your encouragement. This seems like a great community and a good resource for help when I'm in over my head which makes it easier to go ahead with it.
I hate to change the subject and please steer me to a thread that's covered this if you know of one but what are some good must-have tools for a project like this? I have the basic carpenter air tools and power drills but what are some more pin specific tools I will need? Like:
- rotisserie (debating this - I could see doing more restorations in the future if this one goes well)
- buffing wheel
- tumbler
- multimeter
Etc

Camera/Cameraphone
deep socket set
racheting wrenches
large ziploc bags

You can get a buffing wheel at Harbor Freight really cheap. Just get the one with the grindstones and take them off and put buffing wheels on.

#19 4 years ago

A decent soldering iron. You will need one of these if you don’t already have one. Doesn’t need to be expensive for under pf work but get one from a reputable manufacturer who provides decent tips.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from Completist:

A decent soldering iron. You will need one of these if you don’t already have one. Doesn’t need to be expensive for under pf work but get one from a reputable manufacturer who provides decent tips.

Dur, how could I miss this? DEFINITELY THIS. I have the model before this, but the weller soldering stations have always served me well:

https://www.amazon.com/Weller-WE1010NA-Digital-Soldering-Station/dp/B077JDGY1J/

#21 4 years ago

You gotta try it, its one of the most fun / best learning exercises there is I am currently restoring a earthshaker (first pf swap) you can follow below (will need account to see large images)
https://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/earthshaker-project.41848/

I have learned so much its insane! even just fault finding some electrical issues i know pretty much know the system 11 inside out and would be able to solve future issues pretty quickly i feel

You also find all sorts of useful local businesses like metal plater's / power coater's etc..

I have very very limited time and i also read all the threads saying it could take 100 hours etc.. and it nearly put me off but i stuck with it!!! i only do an hour every other night but got there (pf almost done now) I did not use a rotisserie as i doubt ill do another swap for a while so was not worth the investment but was fine just doin it all on the floor / against the wall hehe (im sure it would be easier with the rotisserie though!)

Anyway its great fun and if your able to should definitely give it a go, you learn so much its insane (only downside is depending on the level of restore it can be rather expensive..... hehe)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Haledon, NJ
13,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
Machine - For Sale
Norwalk, OH
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.95
$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 22.50
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Martin, CA
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fun-house-playfield-source?hl=lodi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.