• Latest reply 5 years ago by DCRand
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Bumpers (resized).JPG
#1 5 years ago

Hi everyone, this ist my first post and i would like to introduce myself first.
Im 40 years old, married with 2 children from Northrine-Westfalia in Germany. I recently bought a house and we found a pinball machine in the cellar. Since my children would love to play this pinball (my wife also) and i really love repairing "old stuff" ,-) im trying to get it operational again.
Its a Fun-Fest pinball from 1972 by Williams . Im a mechanical engineer so im not useless with my hands, but electrical wise i need some step by step instructions. Soldering will work although it will take some time i guess

Ok but now to my problems: First of all the pinball machine works. I get most of the lights, the two flippers work, scoring seems to work (ok some rubberbands are just hair rubbers from my daughter at the moment) . But what preety much does not work at all are all the bumpers. The fuses seem to be ok. 3x15 Amp fuses and one 10A fuse seem to be working fine.
So since all the bumpers are not working i would assume that not only one coil is out of order or are they all connected by each other?(so one does not work, all are not working?) I found the schematic online and attached the part of the bumpers. So the red part preety much does not work alltogether, while the blue part (the flippers) seem to work. So i dont really know where to start looking. The bridge Rectifier (i honestly do not know where to find this thing) should be fine, since the flippers use it aswell? Is this assumption right?
Can someone give me some step by step instructions how to check if the coils are working? I have a Voltmeter so i can try to measure the resistance of the coil or something like that.
Another question: I do not have a key to open the scoring board (on the backside there is a metal plate with a keyhole). Is there a simple trick to do this with a screw driver?

Best regards
Sven

Bumpers (resized).JPGBumpers (resized).JPG
#2 5 years ago

The flippers do not use the rectifier. Only the pops and slings. The rectifier and 10A fuse should be mounted under the playfield somewhere. Once you find it, you can measure the ac voltage coming into it (red and yellow wires) and the dc coming out (orange wire and directly on the fuse)

#3 5 years ago

Sven, welcome to the forum and to the new world of owning pinball machines!

The first machine I ever owned was a Williams Swinger, which was the 2-player version of Funfest. I know it's a little intimidating when one first looks inside the cabinets, but it's really not rocket science and I'm sure you'll learn quickly.

The jet bumpers and the 2 slingshots run off a different power circuit than the flippers and the rest of the playfield. Williams used a bridge rectifier and ripple-smoothing capacitor to deliver about 26 Volts DC to the bumpers and slingshots, whereas the rest of the machine operates off of AC power. The part of the schematic that you circled in red is the DC rectified power subsection. Most likely, one of those components of the DC rectification circuit is shorted or blown.

It sounds like you checked the 4 fuses in the main fuse block in the front of the cabinet, but there is another 10-A fuse just for the rectifier, located on the gray-painted underside of the playfield, probably towards the upper middle on the right side. Locate that fuse and pull it out and check for continuity with a multimeter. While the fuse is out, clean the fuse holder terminals with a little sand paper. If the fuse is good, then look to the bridge rectifier next and try to test it with a multimeter to look for voltage from the output terminals marked (not the ones marked with a tiny sine wave). Lastly, it's possible the capacitor could be blown, although the fuse and rectifier are the more likely culprits.

Lee

#4 5 years ago

Sven, the link below has a very simple tutorial describing how to test a bridge rectifier using the diode test mode of a multi-meter.

#5 5 years ago

Hi Sven
Runbikeskilee was mentioning the Slingshots - here https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=972&picno=9714 the two "triangles, Dreiecke" above the flipper-bats are the "Slingshots" - do they work, do they kick ? The Slingshots are run by DC-Current as the Bumpers are run by DC-Current. Greetings Rolf

#6 5 years ago

Sven, welcome to Pinside. Want to say you are in good hands with the advisers lending their help so far. And wanted to say you have found a very fun machine. Was one of my first, and still kind of regret letting it go. When you do get the bumpers working, the ball really flies when it gets going on those 5 bumpers.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fun-fest-bumpers-do-not-work?hl=runbikeskilee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.