(Topic ID: 214457)

Fun Cars to Drive & Still Fit a Pin

By freakandgeek

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    6d25c09b00009a47a304371a4804abf4 (resized).jpg
    30261154_10156227746228529_6998126799074885632_n (resized).jpg
    29683429_10156220646228529_1975700598430892032_n (resized).jpg
    2018-02-09_11-35-08_960623[1] (resized).jpg
    IMG_0098 (resized).JPG
    https---blogs-images.forbes.com-markewing-files-2017-07-FullSizeRender-6-1200x798.jpg?width=960 (resized).jpeg
    fastbreak (resized).jpg
    fastbreak (resized).jpg
    IMG_6303 (resized).JPG
    XT (resized).jpg
    There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

My youngest will be driving soon...so my big SUV days may come to an end shortly.

Starting to think about something sportier, but still would like a car that I can still fit a pin into. You never know when a deal on Craigslist or something pops up.

Any have recommendations?

#2 6 years ago

This is my exact dilemma in life as well. Fun-to-drive, if not downright sporty while still fitting a pin. There aren't many of those out there.

Honda Fit, while rather bare bones is actually pretty fun and fits modern pins.
    Mazda CX-5 I believe fits them as well.
    Subaru Forrester will fit all but System 3s.
    I could fit a WPC into a 5-series wagon, but sega/stern would not fit.

#3 6 years ago

Subaru Forester XT, and hurry as the 2018s are the last of the Turbo engines.......

XT (resized).jpgXT (resized).jpg

#4 6 years ago

My Moms Car....unbelievably a Honda Fit , will fit a pin. The back open hatchback is wide enough to fit a pin right in. Unlike my Dodge Magnum or Nissan Rouge will not.

#5 6 years ago

The Urus can probably fit a pin or two: https://www.lamborghini.com/en-en/models/urus

#6 6 years ago

Don't scuff the leatherDon't scuff the leather

Bentley Bentayga. Problem solved.

#7 6 years ago

That's a pretty low roof-line in the rear. I'm not sure.

#8 6 years ago

Another suggestion if you live somewhere warm:

Nice breezeNice breeze

Might have to modify it a bit and remove some of the rear seats.

#9 6 years ago

This is fun to drive

IMG_6303 (resized).JPGIMG_6303 (resized).JPG

#10 6 years ago

I have no idea if it will fit a pin or not but I saw an AMG E-63 Wagon on the road the other day and thought, man what a fun frickin pin-hauler that would be!!

#11 6 years ago

My Honda fit has been a great asset to my involvement in this hobby. It's very low cost and high efficiency. Living in Chicago, it's very nimble an easy to park in the smallest of spots. The day-to-day versatility is also incredible. I love showing up to a seller's house with them asking where my truck/SUV is and then fitting a widebody WPC perfectly!

fastbreak (resized).jpgfastbreak (resized).jpg

fastbreak (resized).jpgfastbreak (resized).jpg

#12 6 years ago

SeymorGoldfarbJr I remember seeing a pic, years ago, of a BMW Exec’s M5 wagon. That’s sounds like winner to me. A winner I couldn’t afford...

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from Clytor:

seymorgoldfarbjr I remember seeing a pic, years ago, of a BMW Exec’s M5 wagon. That’s sounds like winner to me. A winner I couldn’t afford...

My daily is an extremely rare, manual, 5-series wagon. Unfortunately the opening is only 28" and therefore it won't fit any modern pin. I debate constantly about replacing with one of the ones I mentioned above, just to have the ability to pick up a pin on a moments notice.

The E-class is the only modern wagon I have found so far which will fit any pin. 5-series, A6, CTS won't and I'm pretty sure the TSX won't either.

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from SeymorGoldfarbJr:

My daily is an extremely rare, manual, 5-series wagon. Unfortunately the opening is only 28" and therefore it won't fit any modern pin. I debate constantly about replacing with one of the ones I mentioned above, just to have the ability to pick up a pin on a moments notice.
    The E-class is the only modern wagon I have found so far which will fit any pin. 5-series, A6, CTS won't and I'm pretty sure the TSX won't either.

I guess that answers my question about that AMG E63 Wagon then. Better strap it down tight so it doesn't try to go through the tailgate when you put the pedal down though!

#16 6 years ago

Is a fun car and a small utility trailer out of the question?

#17 6 years ago

The lack of manual transmissions in most SUV/CUV's is a killer for me.

I've been thinking of a Forester XT (CVT trans only, booo), or a newish WRX sedan with a small trailer. There is a bolt-on hitch mount for the WRX that is completely hidden, has a small panel/cutout on the lower bumper where the tongue is inserted. Looks like that could work and has AWD as well. Then a small trailer, maybe foldable, looks pretty cheap to go with it.

#18 6 years ago

How about a Porsche Macan? Still kind of in the SUV world, but much sportier than the typical grocery getter.

https---blogs-images.forbes.com-markewing-files-2017-07-FullSizeRender-6-1200x798.jpg?width=960 (resized).jpeghttps---blogs-images.forbes.com-markewing-files-2017-07-FullSizeRender-6-1200x798.jpg?width=960 (resized).jpeg

#19 6 years ago

This looks pretty fun.

IMG_0098 (resized).JPGIMG_0098 (resized).JPG

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from Allibaster:

How about a Porsche Macan? Still kind of in the SUV world, but much sportier than the typical grocery getter.

Been dreaming aboot being able to afford a Porche SUV in the future. Probably never with the amount they are, but fun to dream. Need at least 60k...of course there's always used.

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

This looks pretty fun.

Ditto

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from Allibaster:

I like it and it was one I was thinking about...just not sure how well a machine will fit.

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from Erik:

Is a fun car and a small utility trailer out of the question?

Good idea...but probably prefer to keep it all in one.

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Been dreaming aboot being able to afford a Porche SUV in the future. Probably never with the amount they are, but fun to dream. Need at least 60k...of course there's always used.

Used w/ CarMax warranty. Save a ton and still be safe of expensive repairs.

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from Allibaster:

Nice car, but a pin won’t fit.

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from dudah:

My Honda fit has been a great asset to my involvement in this hobby. It's very low cost and high efficiency. Living in Chicago, it's very nimble an easy to park in the smallest of spots. The day-to-day versatility is also incredible. I love showing up to a seller's house with them asking where my truck/SUV is and then fitting a widebody WPC perfectly!

Fits a Demoman and a dog. I remember it well. I have a Awd Ford Flex Limited with ecoboost. Hauls 2 pins if you take the head off one and I smoke a lot of cars of the line on my way home from work.

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from Allibaster:

Won't fit. I have an Audi Q5 which is built on the same platform and it doesn't fit a pin. Plus, the Macan has a lower scooping back than my car so there is even less clearance.

Get the Macan, though, and rent a truck if you have to move pins around.

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinKopf:

The lack of manual transmissions in most SUV/CUV's is a killer for me.
    I've been thinking of a Forester XT (CVT trans only, booo), or a newish WRX sedan with a small trailer. There is a bolt-on hitch mount for the WRX that is completely hidden, has a small panel/cutout on the lower bumper where the tongue is inserted. Looks like that could work and has AWD as well. Then a small trailer, maybe foldable, looks pretty cheap to go with it.

The CVT with the XT is not too bad, especially in Sport mode. I've enjoyed mine, got 14K miles on it now without an issue. Put on a rear WRX sway bar for $100 and it's a pretty damn awesome driver that will haul a lot of people or a pin VERY comfortably.

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

Nice car, but a pin won’t fit.

I was thinking more of the Cayenne, is that big enough?

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

One the guys in the area absolutely hauls pins in a Porsche SUV. I believe it is a Cayenne.

#31 6 years ago

Does anybody know what pins will fit in a Toyota RAV-4 or Honda CRV?

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I honestly don't know. Google tells me that the Cayenne and the Q5 have the same interior cargo space.

The issue you run into with these types of SUVs is that the back gets rounded off so you end up putting a square pinball machine in a round(ed) space. They sure are pretty, though.

I'm an ideas guy, so how about this:

A fast playfieldA fast playfield

#33 6 years ago

Enterprise: we'll pick you up!

#34 6 years ago

Is there a reason to go small? My son bought a new Ford F-150. 3.5L, dual turbos. And 22+ mpg to and from work if you stay out of Sport mode.

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from surfsidedetail:

This is fun to drive

All of those cab forward designs makes the drivers compartment the crumple zone.

#36 6 years ago

Given the mainstream rise in popularity (tic tac, letgo, costentix (sp?) commercials, plus all the barcades), I’m shocked Honda hasn’t shown how something as ridiculous as a full pinball machine can fit into that car!

OPs dilemma is the exact same I’m going through at the moment. The girl’s Jeep Grand Cherokee and my dad’s GMC Terrain are a coin flip on whether a pin fits (depending on the make/era).

I drive 30-35k miles/year so I want something fun, efficient, and yet would be also nice to haul a pin. I’m still not sold on the fit given what I like in cars but I’ll admit it’s creeping into contention.

#37 6 years ago
    Quoted from T7:

My 2016 CR-V can fit System 11, WPC Widebodies, and newer Sterns without removing the head. I'd be surprised if the latest iteration couldn't as well.

#38 6 years ago

I can fit an EBD in my 2014 WRX 5 door ( with the head off)

And it’s a lot of fun to drive. (Especially with the Sti brakes)

#39 6 years ago
    Quoted from T7:

I can fit any pin in my 2017 Honda CR-V. Just had a Surf N Safari in it tonight, and that's a really tall machine.

Fun car? Well, it's fun to fit any pin in it.
    > 30 MPGs on longer trips, too.

#40 6 years ago

Love my Jeep Wrangler JK. Plenty of room for a pin -- Four door version of course.

#41 6 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

I can fit any pin in my 2017 Honda CR-V. Just had a Surf N Safari in it tonight, and that's a really tall machine.
    Fun car? Well, it's fun to fit any pin in it.
    > 30 MPGs on longer trips, too.

Fun is relative I guess I know EX and higher trims got the Turbo. It's peppy enough for me. Kicking myself for not waiting another year.

#42 6 years ago

Best answer (previously mentioned): Any fun car that you can put a hitch on. Utility trailers are cheap and super useful; see the foldable Harbor Freight models, or simply rent one when needed. The majority of the time, you will be driving your non compromising fun car.

Runner-up (previously mentioned): Forester XT

Terribly embarrassing honorable mention....Buick <shutter> Regal TourX

2018-02-09_11-35-08_960623[1] (resized).jpg2018-02-09_11-35-08_960623[1] (resized).jpg

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from RobF:

Best answer (previously mentioned): Any fun car that you can put a hitch on. Utility trailers are cheap and super useful; see the foldable Harbor Freight models, or simply rent one when needed. The majority of the time, you will be driving your non compromising fun car.
    Runner-up (previously mentioned): Forester XT
    Terribly embarrassing honorable mention....Buick <shutter> Regal TourX

Totally in the market for a Regal Tourx. AWD and better than a subaru that'll implode at 100k!

#44 6 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

Love my Jeep Wrangler JK. Plenty of room for a pin -- Four door version of course.

Totally agree, i love my unlimited, much more fun than any SUV. love the off-roading and switching to soft top during the summer it makes a great convertible!

#45 6 years ago
    Quoted from slicknick13:

Totally in the market for a Regal Tourx. AWD and better than a subaru that'll implode at 100k!

Looks like it has the potential for fun. On a side note I have 4 subaru's over 100k miles (2 of those over 200k miles) all with zero implosions!

#46 6 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

All of those cab forward designs makes the drivers compartment the crumple zone.

Safer than riding motorcycles in SoCal

#47 6 years ago

This is what I drive, and it fits a pin, or three. It's fun to drive, too.

29683429_10156220646228529_1975700598430892032_n (resized).jpg29683429_10156220646228529_1975700598430892032_n (resized).jpg30261154_10156227746228529_6998126799074885632_n (resized).jpg30261154_10156227746228529_6998126799074885632_n (resized).jpg

#48 6 years ago

I guess "fun to drive" means different things to different people. Anything over about 5.2 seconds 0-60 mph does not meet that qualification for me unless it's a classic or super toss-able.

#49 6 years ago
    Quoted from bobukcat:

I guess "fun to drive" means different things to different people. Anything over about 5.2 seconds 0-60 mph does not meet that qualification for me unless it's a classic or super toss-able.

I have a 5th gen Camaro, but I'm not going to try and fit an oyster in a slot machine when I have a truck.

#50 6 years ago

ss trailblazer. corvette engine, fits a pin no problem.

There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fun-cars-to-drive-still-fit-a-pin?hl=robf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.