10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by snyper2099
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20130606_181703.jpg
    20130606_181732.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

Bally reset nightmare..... Someone was trying Clay's tip about putting caps in the reset circuit. I have seen a few messes like this caused by people trying a bandaid fix. The backside of this board is as bad or worse.

20130606_181703.jpg20130606_181703.jpg

I call this one Rising above corrosion! featuring animal hair. Never knew they made IC sockets with 2 inch leads on them. I guess this is one way to solder on both sides of the PCB.

20130606_181732.jpg20130606_181732.jpg

#2 10 years ago

Thanks for the post, I am instantly much happier with my current soldering skills after seeing those pictures

#3 10 years ago

I can deal with corrosion. The worst is fixing a board where someone did a lot of damage with a soldering iron.

#4 10 years ago

The blue board is nasty....that is a terrible attempt at a bandaid

#5 10 years ago

The first one is truly a mess. What always surprises me is someone had to know something to attempt that type of repair. So you would think in the same educational process they would have picked up how to do it in a cleaner manner. I most like the wires soldered to the U6 chip legs, in fits of anger at crappy sockets that I did not want to replace I have almost done that.

The second board with the high up chip socket is pretty close to something I could see myself doing, I would probably only go 1/4" off the surface of the board, but I get the idea of leaving some space so you can really see what is going on with the solder joints. Sure you could have big problems if someone pushes on the chip hard, but if it was my own machine that type of repair would not bother me. It even looks like a decent attempt to fix a bad ground on the board edge.

#6 10 years ago

That's a wire wrap socket for prototyping work.

Also a good reminder why I never wanted to get into repairing Bally stuff... the corrosion nightmares.

#7 10 years ago

I have a love/hate relationship with those batteries. Makes for lots of boards in need of repair, but dealing with it is a pain.

#8 10 years ago

Wait till you try repairing some Gottlieb system 80 cpu boards with corrosion damage!

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

Wait till you try repairing some Gottlieb system 80 cpu boards with corrosion damage!

I agree... The system 80's board traces just fall apart when you try to replace any components!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fun-board-hacks-i-wanted-to-share and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.