(Topic ID: 79128)

FUN! Billiards & Gameroom Superstore is opening it's doors to the public for a 4

By nordseth

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 75 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Jared
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

sottish rite.jpg
    image-219.jpg
    image-902.jpg
    image-320.jpg
    image-379.jpg
    image-970.jpg
    image-824.jpg
    image-519.jpg
    image-634.jpg
    image-167.jpg
    image-9.jpg
    image-125.jpg
    image-643.jpg
    image-742.jpg
    image-367.jpg
    image-295.jpg
    There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 10 years ago

RSVP on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/events/800813146599350

For the first time ever, FUN! Billiards & Gameroom Superstore is opening it's doors to the public for a 4 hour pinball party!

Saturday March 15th 2014
    6pm-10pm
    4539 Gus Thomasson Rd, Mesquite, TX 75150
    Admission is a $20 Donation to the Scottish Rite Hospital

-Enjoy more than 60 pinball machines and classic arcade games set to FREE PLAY!
    -Free Pizza, Beer and Cold Drinks for Attendees
    -Music & DJ
    -Set the highest score on (Game X) and win a free IGT Double Diamond Slot Machine! $1000 Value!!!
    -100% of the money raised for this party will be donated to the Scottish Rite Hospital for Children

Just some of the games to be at the party!
    Cactus Canyon, Wizard of Oz, Metallica, Star Trek, Medieval Madness, Champion Pub, TOTAN, Twilight Zone, Avengers, AC/DC and many, many, many more!

Kids under 12 FREE

Limited to the first 100 guests! Purchase tickets by pay-paling to [email protected] . If paypal is a problem for you for some reason, please call the store.

972-686-7808

Questions? Contact Steve at FUN! at the above number or email address. Spread the word!

fun party 15.jpegfun party 15.jpeg
    #2 10 years ago

Can't wait for this!!! Going to be awesome!!!!

#3 10 years ago

That looks like a good time.

#4 10 years ago

Here is a small peek into the store.

20070228003r.jpg20070228003r.jpg4539008r.jpg4539008r.jpg20070228004r.jpg20070228004r.jpgabout1.jpgabout1.jpg

#5 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

Can't wait for this!!! Going to be awesome!!!!

Have you dealt with these guys before?

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from sammiesguys:

Have you dealt with these guys before?

Yes, I have. I live here in town, grew up in Mesquite. I didnt learn this until much later, but as a kid I grew up playing arcades in a place called FUN FACTORY which was owned by the same guy. I didnt know it, but I have been giving Steve business most of my life one way or the other.

I will admit: I am overall new to the hobby. I have bought and traded 20 machines in less than 13 months, (which is freaking diving in) but yeah... Im not a arcade/pinball veteran. When you come into this hobby you "hear it all" but as far as I am concerned, I like to focus less on what "he or she said" and more on my own experiences.

I can say with sincerity: dealing with Steve and FUN! over the last 8 months has been very good.

Steve lent me a WOZ for my first arcade event (Arcade House Party 1) and then a Star Trek for a pinball party I hosted at my house. Now for my next event (Jared's Epic Party) he is lending several machines. Basically, he has always been accommodating, kind and trusting of me with very expensive equipment.

Here in Dallas, we have a vast scarcity of public places to play pinball. You can count the places to play more than 3 machines on one hand, with the largest of all being a location with 10 total machines. That's it. Many private collections here are 4-5x that.

Which is why it's such a big deal for a business that is historically conservative... and has never done such a thing... to open their doors to the public in the name of raising $2000 for a major charity. I think it's awesome, and I quickly offered to assist in any way that I could.

Anyways, although I have never purchased a machine from them myself, I have certainly "dealt with these guys before" and I am excited of their attitude and willingness to accommodate the pinball community in 2014.

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

I will admit: I am overall new to the hobby. I have bought and traded 20 machines in less than 13 months, (which is freaking diving in) but yeah... Im not a arcade/pinball veteran. When you come into this hobby you "hear it all" but as far as I am concerned, I like to focus less on what "he or she said" and more on my own experiences.

I can say with sincerity: dealing with Steve and FUN! over the last 8 months has been very good.

Thanks. You certainly do "hear it all". That's why I was curious as to your personal experience. Sounds like a worthwhile event. Have fun! (no pun intended)

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from sammiesguys:

Thanks. You certainly do "hear it all". That's why I was curious as to your personal experience. Sounds like a worthwhile event. Have fun! (no pun intended)

There's always two sides to every story, like how he told me back about six months ago he had "several people" interested in his floor model Tron Pro (after I made a cash offer) that's been on his floor for almost a year, at retail price...believe it was around 5800 or 6k then...now at @ 6600 bucks, still on ebay, and the price just keeps going up up UP. It's been sitting out of the box, in a store with big huge windows...I have no doubt that it has had less than 5 games put on it, because they are notoriously anal about not letting people play their games. If you go in there, Gideon will watch you like a HAWK to make sure you're not actually touching anything, and when we stopped by to play Star Trek pro right when it came out, I swear to god, he told my wife we could "play a few games but this isn't a bowling alley".....after Steve had sent out and email to the local mailing list to come out and give it a play.

Never had any clue Steve was an ex-op, but I can't say that's terribly surprising either. He seems like a nice enough guy, I've never had the chance to actually talk to him directly. Pretty cool that he's doing this and the money is going to charity. Also like the idea of the slot machine 'tourney'.

For the record, I have sold a game to Steve (only dealt with Gideon in person), bought small things off Ebay from them, and I'm in the process of getting a game from him, so it's not like I'm just posting off the cuff based on the one experience before. It's really run the gamut dealing with them, which is about what I've heard previously from other people...it just that most of them are reporting ONE experience. They're really close with TPF, and that relationship is getting stronger this year as well.

#9 10 years ago

Okay, you lost me You think Fun is great, I respect that. But you've never bought a game from them? Besides maybe some parts, what else have you done with them that makes then so great? I'm talking business wise, most people here aren't local and won't be borrowing games etc from them.

Quoted from Jared:

I have bought and traded 20 machines in less than 13 months

Quoted from Jared:

Quoted from Jared:

Anyways, although I have never purchased a machine from them myself, I have certainly "dealt with these guys before"

I actually have no problem with Fun BTW. I have bought a game from them. But like every other customer of theirs, I overpaid. I know the right questions to ask, and they were accurate with the description. They did send me the game without the legs which was annoying, luckily I could borrow a set from a local guy so I didn't have to wait 5 days to play the thing.

Where people get into trouble with Fun, is if they don't ask very detailed specific questions. For example, I've heard people getting games with some play field planking, and this would have been a deal breaker. They assumed that Fun would disclose this, but being a retailer it's just another normal assurance to them. I asked about all those types of things before I bought, most people don't.

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

If you go in there, Gideon will watch you like a HAWK to make sure you're not actually touching anything, and when we stopped by to play Star Trek pro right when it came out, I swear to god, he told my wife we could "play a few games but this isn't a bowling alley".....after Steve had sent out and email to the local mailing list to come out and give it a play.

I can't lie, I had a similar experience when I went in there a year ago. It was off putting to me, but I realized later that I was not dealing with Steve and Gideon had no idea who I was at the time. Gideon is a still a straight edge business man, but once I connected with Steve and we formed a friendship I have had no issues in there playing any game of interest after asking permission. Still, FUN! is "notorious" (where entirely factual or not) for "not letting people play the games" which is (to me) why it is all the more shocking and exciting that they are opening up the doors for charity to let people play every functional game on their floor for 4 hours.

Quoted from Frax:

Also like the idea of the slot machine 'tourney'.

Just to be clear about that part.

There will be one pinball machine (not yet decided) and the machine will offer ONE game per attendee. Whomever gets the highest score of the night on their chance takes home the slot machine. Also, the actual slot machine given away is far better than the one pictured in the flyer. Thats a goof on my part.

Quoted from Frax:

They're really close with TPF, and that relationship is getting stronger this year as well.

Bingo. This event is a lead-up to TPF, and was scheduled in March on purpose. The auction FUN! is doing at the TPF really is going to be ridiculous, and that single feature alone will add 15-20%+ more playable pins to TPF's event in 2014. Thats awesome.

Quoted from jalpert:

Okay, you lost me You think Fun is great, I respect that. But you've never bought a game from them? Besides maybe some parts, what else have you done with them that makes then so great? I'm talking business wise, most people here aren't local and won't be borrowing games etc from them.

Well I have bought playglass, cleaner and a few miscellaneous parts. I have never purchased a machine from them. That is the extent of my financial transactions with FUN!, but I dont think it's fair to say thats the only business that matters. To me, business is any interaction with someone as a business. So when they, as FUN!, lent and trusted me with thousands of dollars in equipment, It quickly gave me a respect for Steve and his trust he would put into a stranger. I have also had the luck to have several long conversations with Steve about business, his ideas, some of his plans and what he has done, and all of the discussion with him has further deepened my respect as well as my trust in him as an individual.

A huge open open house for people to come play unlimited has long been something people in DFW wanted to happen, and also thought would probably never happen. It was Steve's idea to use the event to raise $2000 for a great charity which is the best part of all. Perhaps with the open house, many pinball players will get to meet Steve first hand and begin a new opinion of FUN! in 2014. This is going to be a fantastic event.

#11 10 years ago

I'm going to respectfully disagree You can't compare buying a bottle of novus to buying a pin long distance. There are plenty of super great guys out there who run shitty businesses.

When they lent you that game, it wasn't business, it was personal. No money changed hands, nothing was bought, nothing was sold. They may be trying to earn your business, not sure. I can understand you coming out and saying they are super great guys, but I don't understand you vouching for them as a company when you've bought nothing from them except some cleaner and glass.

Quoted from Jared:

Well I have bought playglass, cleaner and a few miscellaneous parts. I have never purchased a machine from them. That is the extent of my financial transactions with FUN!, but I dont think it's fair to say thats the only business that matters. To me, business is any interaction with someone as a business. So when they, as FUN!, lent and trusted me with thousands of dollars in equipment, It quickly gave me a respect for Steve and his trust he would put into a stranger. I have also had the luck to have several long conversations with Steve about business, his ideas, some of his plans and what he has done, and all of the discussion with him has further deepened my respect as well as my trust in him as an individual.

I guess my point is, Fun is local, you think they are great and you think their business is great. Plus, you yourself said you bought 20 machines in the last 13 months. If Fun is so great, why haven't you bought a single machine from them? They can't be THAT great to not have our business, except for a few bucks in parts. Just trying to play devils advocate.

Quoted from Jared:

I have bought and traded 20 machines in less than 13 months, (which is freaking diving in) but yeah... Im not a arcade/pinball veteran.

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

I guess my point is, Fun is local, you think they are great and you think their business is great. Plus, you yourself said you bought 20 machines in the last 13 months. If Fun is so great, why haven't you bought a single machine from them? They can't be THAT great to not have our business, except for a few bucks in parts. Just trying to play devils advocate.

Fair enough.

The reason I have not bought machines from FUN! is because they are beyond my budget. I dont have the funds for a NIB game, and most of their used games are also out of my budget range. The most expensive pin I ever bought was $2600 and I was very nervous about it. I prefer to spend $200-$1200 on pinball machines...and I generally convince myself that if a machine costs more than that it's not worth it.

I enjoy the hunt... I enjoy being on craigslist or facebook and racing out to find hidden deals... sweet hookups... stuff like that. I like getting a machine that is busted... broken and neglected... and ordering parts to install it and bring it back to life. I get a lot of enjoyment out of that.

FUN!s machines are shopped, cleaned, working and ready to go. While I see the appeal in that, for me as a pinhead, thats cost prohibitive and also not nearly as exciting. Just my personal opinion.

When and if I do every buy a NIB machine, I have little doubt that it will be from FUN! since they are our local JJP and Stern distributor. After that, I can report on my interaction with them (if that matters?).

The point of this thread... and in my opinion all that matters here... is that a local shop is opening its doors for the first time to let people play an abundance of nice pinball machines... and in the process will raise $2000 for a worthy charity. That's awesome. That's worth attending. That's worth supporting.

In my opinion.

#13 10 years ago

That's real nice of Steve to donate the drinks/booze/pizza so that all the money you guys take in can be donated to the Shriners.

I bet it's going to be a great night. We're already committed to a friends birthday provided that Josh's new work schedule doesn't screw that up, though. :/

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

ONE game per attendee.

Sounds fair to me... BRING YOUR A GAME OR GO HOME!

#15 10 years ago

I was a little stunned after reading this thread, but I guess it's not surprising.

Locals always have good things to report. It's the out of state sales that show a sellers true character.

If you want some entertaining reading, do a little research on both FUN and Barrynj on RGP.

Steve (in Escalon, CA)

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from Steve_in_Escalon:

I was a little stunned after reading this thread, but I guess it's not surprising.
    Locals always have good things to report. It's the out of state sales that show a sellers true character.
    If you want some entertaining reading, do a little research on both FUN and Barrynj on RGP.
    Steve (in Escalon, CA)

No matter what I could possibly read it won't change the fact that 60 machines will be on free play for the first time for 4 hours to help raise $2000 for a worthy charity.

#17 10 years ago

Just watch out if you buy glass there. I purchased some and it was not tempered and a buyer of mine got cut by the glass when it cracked.

#18 10 years ago

I wish I could attend, but I think that is the first weekend of spring break so probably won't be around. I think it is a great idea to raise funds for charity and give people a chance to go to Fun!

I'm purchasing a game through them that is being used at TPF in the tournament (Star Trek), but being a new in box game I'm not to concerned about condition. I have never bought a used game from them since I too enjoy the fixing and restoring of the game as much as playing it. Their market is retail, and I'm decidedly not a retail pinball customer.

Greg

#19 10 years ago

Should be fun. I'm going to try and make it. Last time I was there I took home this.

IMG_3192.JPGIMG_3192.JPG

#20 10 years ago
    Quoted from PappyBoyington:

Should be fun. I'm going to try and make it. Last time I was there I took home this.

IMG_3192.JPG 81 KB

WOW man... go big or go home! haha

#21 10 years ago

The event date for this party has been changed to the 15th.

fun pinball party flyer 2.jpgfun pinball party flyer 2.jpg

#22 10 years ago

Great. Couldn't make the 8th so the change is good for me.

#23 10 years ago
    Quoted from BooyaNY:

Great. Couldn't make the 8th so the change is good for me.

Hrm. Someone local with a congo. Let the pestering and harassment to sell it begin.

#24 10 years ago

delete. wrong weekend

#25 10 years ago

Dang. Wish I still lived in Dallas. Looks great!

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Hrm. Someone local with a congo. Let the pestering and harassment to sell it begin.

Dang you check peoples collections... That's hardcore hunting!

#27 10 years ago

If the models are there, I may have to fly out

#28 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

Dang you check peoples collections... That's hardcore hunting!

crap in crap out, gotta put in the effort to get a good result, LOL. After TPF will be looking for DMD #4 hopefully, so keeping my eyes open.

#29 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pin_Crazed:

If the models are there, I may have to fly out

Models what? lol

#30 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

Models what? lol

He's thinking of that other place that sells pins on ebay...Fun doesn't use skanks to sell pins, that I've ever seen.

#31 10 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

He's thinking of that other place that sells pins on ebay...Fun doesn't use skanks to sell pins, that I've ever seen.

Yeah.... he has them mixed up. Haha. They do have some friendly dogs!

#32 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

Yeah.... he has them mixed up. Haha. They do have some friendly dogs!

Too friendly actually. Embarrassingly friendly.

#33 10 years ago

Yea, it is the other place, at least I got a couple bumps in, sorry

#34 10 years ago

Dude, just buy your $4500 machine from FUN. I'm sure they would appreciate the local business.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-pin-4500-could-buy

#35 10 years ago
    Quoted from joestro78:

Dude, just buy your $4500 machine from FUN. I'm sure they would appreciate the local business.
    http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-pin-4500-could-buy

No doubt. Decided to go a different route since I made that thread.

#36 10 years ago

We would be going if we lived close by, but with it being so close the the TPF, there is no way we could swing that.
    Steve has always been extremely nice and I am glad to hear he is opening up the place like this.
    He has purchased 4 or 5 of my machines and got me a great deal on my AC/DC. Every time we have visited he has given us a tour of the place, including the back storage area that has more pins in it then the front. The place it truly huge.
    Good luck with the party.

#37 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

The event date for this party has been changed to the 15th.

fun pinball party flyer 2.jpg 444 KB

Why did the date change all of a sudden?

#38 10 years ago
    Quoted from Marc:

Why did the date change all of a sudden?

It was brought to the attention of Steve that a large swath of the pinball community would be at a private pinball party coincidentally being held that night, so large that it could hurt the turnout (and contribution efforts) of the FUN! event. The 15th was shown to be all clear, and Steve moved it. The people who previously "had a prior engagement" now are free to attend without having to choose one or the other.

#39 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

It was brought to the attention of Steve that a large swath of the pinball community would be at a private pinball party coincidentally being held that night

You guys didn't check the event calendar?

#41 10 years ago

I'm sorry I will miss this. I'll be camping overnight on the USS KIDD with the Cub Scout Pack.

Is there a link where I can make a donation to the cause?

#42 10 years ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

I'm sorry I will miss this. I'll be camping overnight on the USS KIDD with the Cub Scout Pack.
    Is there a link where I can make a donation to the cause?

Pay Pal Here - [email protected]

#43 10 years ago

Wow. Nice looking place. Only for four hours though? I mean could I be locked in there for a weekend maybe?

1 week later
    #44 10 years ago
    Quoted from DirtyDeeds:

Wow. Nice looking place. Only for four hours though? I mean could I be locked in there for a weekend maybe?

Stop by if you are ever in North Texas!

1 week later
    #45 10 years ago

How many tickets are left Steve?

#46 10 years ago

We have received payments for 40 people and we have commitments from 40 more, so we have 20 tickets available.

1 week later
    #47 10 years ago

Hearing a lot of buzz about this on facebook and locally. Going to be really awesome!!!!

#48 10 years ago

We are now up to 56 paid. Approaching the sold out point.

We will have 3 pinball competitions going with prizes. The big prize is an Double Diamond slot machine by IGT. Another great prize will be weekend passes for the Texas Pinball Festival. Additionally, we will have several prizes from the Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children.

DOUBLED.jpgDOUBLED.jpg
    #49 10 years ago

Thats great.

Since its looking like some major rain storms in DFW on Saturday, this event is even better since its going to be held indoors.

Going to be awesome to hear that place going with every machine being played at the same time... for the first time!

#50 10 years ago

Did they hit the limit?

There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fun-billiards-gameroom-superstore-is-opening-its-doors-to-the-public-for-a-4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.