(Topic ID: 168701)

Fully restored Big House for $2500. Is this too much money?

By Zeusophobia

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by crlush
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

It's a chain store around here. "Game room supply", they have a couple locations in Florida.

They offered me $500 trade in value on a pinball machine that doesn't work and I know is worth $200. That's the only reason I'm floating this. That brings it down to $2000 + tax.

So I know this is too much for a standard well cared for machine. The thing is, they refurbished the living daylights out of this thing, and they offer a 1 year warranty. The thing looks like it has never been played.

I just want your honest opinion if this is a bad deal. I like the machine, but I feel like this is more than double what anyone would ever ask on craigslist.

#2 7 years ago

That's tough to say. Retailers always have a higher sticker price than what the game is worth--but like you said, you'll get a 1 year warranty out of it, and all the hard work done.

Big House isn't a game you see very often though, so pinning a price might be tough. There's one listed here on pinside for $2,500 as well, and it looks like it's been relisted once, suggesting it's not an easy sell.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/37063

#3 7 years ago

The answer is YES. Look nice but there are a TON of other options for the same price or less...

#4 7 years ago

This one looks really different than mine..... Is it a prototype? I have never seem one look like it.
It hads a different playfeild and back box.

#5 7 years ago

What is the machine you are trading in for 500? Just curious......

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from Zeusophobia:

It's a chain store around here. "Game room supply", they have a couple locations in Florida.
They offered me $500 trade in value on a pinball machine that doesn't work and I know is worth $200. That's the only reason I'm floating this. That brings it down to $2000 + tax.

$2500-$500+$200= $2200+tax, not $2000

Fully restored is a term with no standard meaning. Unless you have to have that specific title you can find a much better deal.

Ask yourself what value the retailer added. Would you have cleaned it? If so, their cleaning is worth nothing extra. Would you have fixed the broken parts?

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from Sinistarrett:

What is the machine you are trading in for 500? Just curious......

Card Whiz. The only nice part on it is the back glass.

Honestly I'm thinking of not doing the deal and just spending some time trying to get the Card Whiz is good shape.

#8 7 years ago

Card Whiz is cooler than Big House. Just my opinion.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from Sinistarrett:

Card Whiz is cooler than Big House. Just my opinion.

I agree. I just lost my mind trying to fix it. Then all of the sudden after I leave it alone for a while it doesn't want to turn on. That's the only reason I'm even considering parting with the thing.

#10 7 years ago

for that price, it better look like new on the boards and in the cabinet. Playfield better be touched up and clearcoated and the translite better be mint. Legs with no rust, coin door looks like new.

#11 7 years ago

"Negotiations".

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from ryan1234:

This one looks really different than mine..... Is it a prototype? I have never seem one look like it.
It hads a different playfeild and back box.

I was thinking the same thing. It has to be a prototype, as the game before Big House had that same 'displays over the backbox' style. Kind of a neat find, actually.

#13 7 years ago

I played a Big House at one of the expos and had fun with it, but I like system80s. I dunno if I would pay a grand for one. About the only $2,500 price paid for a system 80 that I know of is Tx Sector.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fully-restored-big-house-for-2500-is-this-too-much-money and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.