Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by newmantjn
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Up until now I've gotten away with just some spring tweaking or light cleaning of things like ball count units and as much as I've wanted to learn none of my machines have ever presented the need yet, although some could probably use it, even though it's not necessarily required for them to operate. However, I've gotten to the point where I need to fully rebuild one in my Gottlieb Sky Jump restoration.

I have desoldered it from the game (pictures taken of wiring of course and wiring sections bunched together) and will have a spring kit coming in the mail from PBR, any other suggestions? Mainly what should be used to get the gross old-grease muck off that is jamming up the unit.

How much should it be disassembled?

Funny, by now I would consider myself "experienced" in most areas of EM repair but then something simple (one of the basics) comes up that's not in my book of skill yet. Can't wait to "add it".

I'm asking mainly in reference to Gottlieb mechanisms/units as that is the majority of my EM collection but if it's general across all manufacturers that's great too as I do have some Williams and Bally thrown in there and plan to have more of those soon.

Thanks.

Otaku

#2 7 years ago

As long as you got this far, I'd disassemble all of it. Squeaky clean. Start over fresh. No short cuts or they will haunt you later.

Lacquer thinner or break cleaner should remove old crud.

LTG : )

#3 7 years ago

You generally do not need to de-solder anything to clean the unit, unless you are replacing something that is soldered on.

Here is my general approach:

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
Machine - For Sale
Santa Rosa, CA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fully-rebuilding-units and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.