(Topic ID: 152901)

Full Throttle on route in Madison, WI!!!

By Whysnow

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 187 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by DerGoetz
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
5BSKhIc_(resized).png
ejbeaeh2_(resized).png
IMG_8909_(resized).JPG
IMG_8904_(resized).JPG
FullThrottle002-20160222_(resized).JPG
FullThrottle009-20160222_(resized).JPG
FullThrottle008-20160222_(resized).JPG
FullThrottle003-20160222_(resized).JPG
There are 187 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 8 years ago

oh yes, there is also the ability to get 2x or more pf scoring via the launch button at certain times. Not quite sure how this all works but it adds another fun risk/reward aspect.

#102 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

oh yes, there is also the ability to get 2x or more pf scoring via the launch button at certain times. Not quite sure how this all works but it adds another fun risk/reward aspect.

As you add gears you add 1X playfield. So gear 5 is 5x. I liked saving it for a multiball.

#103 8 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

As you add gears you add 1X playfield. So gear 5 is 5x. I liked saving it for a multiball.

A few questions.

Each game starts with 1 gear, correct?

You add gears by completing Octance standups?

Do gears hold over between balls?

When you cash in your X playfield multiplier is it for a shot, amount of time, or rest of ball?

#104 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

A few questions.
When you cash in your X playfield multiplier is it for a shot, amount of time, or rest of ball?

Not sure, I haven't gotten mine yet and am just remembering from expo in Oct. All I remember is that each gear added 1 to the multiplier and it was a timed multiplier. I think 10 sec but that might be wrong. I remember 5x during a multiball could get you 300m points real quick.

#105 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

A few questions.

Playfield multiplier is timed.

Here is a link to a nice thread with lots of info

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/full-throttle-club-enjoy-the-adrenaline

#106 8 years ago

FTH could use more bouncing ghost boobs.

Otherwise, pretty fun!

Ironically, I found myself looking at the big screen and NEVER the one in the PF.

#107 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

FTH could use more bouncing ghost boobs.
Otherwise, pretty fun!
Ironically, I found myself looking at the big screen and NEVER the one in the PF.

it does take some time to get used to the in pf screen but it is a game changer once you do (esp since the game is FAST)

#108 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

A few questions.

Gears are earned by two different ways:
1) The Super Skill Shot
2) By pop bumper hits. If you watch your tachometer as the ball is in the pops, it goes up with each hit. Once it red lines, it shifts into the next gear. That drops the RPMs down & then you repeat this process to shift to the next gear(multiplier).
You cash in your multiplier by hitting the launch button. If you drain before you use your multiplier, you loose it. It's a fun & unique feature that you can trigger & use when you want. It last for 10 seconds.

#109 8 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Care to comment on two questions I have?
1.) how complete is the code?
2.) have you seen wizard mode?
If not does it seem obtainable?
Thanks in advance

There are 2 Mini wizard modes that I'm aware of, "Final Challenge" & "Red Mist". Both are fun & are multi-ball in nature. There is also a Wizard mode for completing all of the races, which I haven't even come close to doing.
Final Challenge jackpot values are determined by what cup(gold,silver,bronze,zero) you achieved in each race mode.
Red Mist is awarded by achieving a set # of laps I believe.
The code is very good, & is risk/reward in nature. As Whysnow has said, " it needs some polish" is all. More call outs, & more animation are really the 2 biggies. I guess at the recent PAPA event competitors were timing out the race modes, thats an easy fix that needs to be addressed.
Overall I couldn't be much happier with Full Throttle! The Heighway Pinball system is legit, I can't wait to see future titles from them!

Here is a Great Tutorial video from Bowen:

#110 8 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

" it needs some polish" is all.

we should talk with Heighway about getting a dedicated space where current owners can start to provide discussion and feedback around suggested polish for code.

I think this would be good for backboards and vetting of ideas among early adopters.

#111 8 years ago

That's a great idea!

#112 8 years ago

This looks like a great machine. I hope to get a chance to play at MGC. But as a MGC-noob, what or where is Rob's room?

#113 8 years ago
Quoted from LarryMac:

This looks like a great machine. I hope to get a chance to play at MGC. But as a MGC-noob, what or where is Rob's room?

Rob's room is Rob Anthony from www.lockwhenlit.com. He is an all around great guy, pinball repair genious, great teacher and someone I am lucky to call a friend. Rob has a dedicated room which is typically in the last hotel hallway going to the entrance to the vendors tent. Rob is the go to stop for pinball parts, board repair, NVRAM install, and just general pinball needs at most of the good shows (plus some love from Taro, his great dog and road companion).

It will be asy to find Rob's room, just ask any pinhead.

#114 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Rob is the go to stop for pinball parts,

plus he makes those handy remote battery holders

#115 8 years ago

anyone thinking about GBprem/LE should HIGHLY consider a FullT instead. Seriously way more bang for the buck IMO.

#116 8 years ago

Got to play this yesterday, fast isn't the word. It has more speed and flow than I've seen in a long time. Looks like there are hours of entertainment in store in discovering the rules and all of the shots. The cab will take getting used to, but overall it's impressive.

#117 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

anyone thinking about GBprem/LE should HIGHLY consider a FullT instead. Seriously way more bang for the buck IMO.

Have a full throttle already at The Sanctum. We are adding s ghostbusters too

As far as timing out race modes. Not only are you missing out on good hurry up points but you are missing out on increasing your main multiball jackpots. The better you have done in races the higher your jackpot values will be. It's tempting to time out to be able to wait and shoot for your challenge shots but will give your poor jackpots later.

#118 8 years ago
Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

Have a full throttle already at The Sanctum. We are adding s ghostbusters too
As far as timing out race modes. Not only are you missing out on good hurry up points but you are missing out on increasing your main multiball jackpots. The better you have done in races the higher your jackpot values will be. It's tempting to time out to be able to wait and shoot for your challenge shots but will give your poor jackpots later.

I didn't realize it affected your jackpot values, good to know.

#119 8 years ago

I'm not involved in Full Throttle in any way, but obviously I know the team, and they're pretty much all disgusted with the idea of timing out modes. So yeah, you're gonna get penalized for it.

#120 8 years ago

whom are the design team on FullT?

The layout designer needs to pick up his crown as he is THE new king of Flow. Seriously, Steve R has been dethroned. When you learn the shots on this game WATCH OUT! Blistering fast and FUN!

The inner loop shot is the BEST flowing inner rebound shot in pinball IMO. Steve R loves these kind of shots (ST, BK2K, Getaway) and FullT put such a great spin on the general idea and used the flow and speed so well in this shot.

Toss on that the orbits and ramps are butter smooth. WOW! Get on a roll and it is just such a FLOW MONSTER!

#121 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

The layout designer needs to pick up his crown as he is THE new king of Flow. Seriously, Steve R has been dethroned. When you learn the shots on this game WATCH OUT! Blistering fast and FUN!

Dave Sanders. He's here on Pinside, but he doesn't post a ton. He's also who took over Alien after Dennis Nordman left, and the game is really a collaboration between the two. Dennis laid out the basic idea and concept, and Dave has tweaked and changed it a lot since then to increase flow and add shots. He's a smart designer that I think people will be talking about for a while.

Quoted from Whysnow:

The inner loop shot is the BEST flowing inner rebound shot in pinball IMO.

That shot is amazing, it feels so satisfying to hit.

#122 8 years ago

Is Dave responsible for Aliens design?

#123 8 years ago

Dave Sanders does deserve a lot of credit. If it was easy to make such fast flowing games we would see more of them. Not only that but he came up with some innovative shots, like that inner loop.

I've been critical of how much reliance the pinball industry has on old (literally) WMS guys. Steve Ritchie is great, but is he even mentoring anyone inside Stern to take over some day? It just seems nuts to have all our eggs in the basket of a bunch of 60+ year olds. It was not like that at WMS either. Guys like Kordek were around to help out the "new" guys there (who are now our old guys).

So I'm glad we have a new star with Dave.

#124 8 years ago

I stopped out last night and put about 6-7 games in and came away impressed! This was my first time seeing/playing one greatly exceeded my expectations. The game is a flow monster and is incredibly fast for a widebody. The game's rules are also a lot of fun and approachable. It definitely leaves you with a "one more game" type feel. The game doesn't feel like work at all and it doesn't take long to get things really moving on the game. The theme doesn't do much for me but the game is still a lot of fun to play. If Alien is this fun to shoot i would seriously consider buying one. I think there's a ton of value at the pricepoint. Hilton stopped out and gave me a quick peak under the hood of the game and it is technically impressive and just feels solid and well thought out. The only negative is that the pops could use more pop.-they felt underpowered. Hopefully this can be corrected by code? Honestly I was never all that impressed with how the game looked in pictures and wasn't really a fan of how the cabinet design but after seeing and playing one in person I'm a big fan!

It was a fun night for me last night as I got to play FT for the first time as well as a brand new production Hobbit machine. Both games were impressive in almost all regards but in terms of gameplay/rules go I don't think you could find two games that are more different. Hobbit has more going on as far as strategy/rules/mechs, but I think FT is more fun to shoot and has the more addictive gameplay. Both games are great in their own respective ways. I think 2016 is going to be a banner year for pinball!

#125 8 years ago

banner night Mike! getting to play FullT and a production TH on route within 15min of each other!

I am excited to check out TH tonight.

Glad you enjoyed FullT and thanks for stopping out. I agree that the pops need more action. That will be my #1 suggestion to Heighway team when I see them in Dallas. Pretty sure that is something that can be changed in code.

Offer stands if anyone else wants to come look under the hood.

#126 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

pops need more action

Can't you adjust the switches a bit to make them more responsive like on most games?

#127 8 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Can't you adjust the switches a bit to make them more responsive like on most games?

I have adjusted switches to make them sensitive, but this is about the POWER of the pulse.

They use what appears to be the standard DE style blue plastic pop mechs. I think those were originally built for 24v? Since Heighway system runs a higher high power line voltage by the looks of it (not sure) I think they have it altered in the code to currnetly pulse with less power. Guessing this is so the the DE blue plastic stlye pop bracket does not break. IF this is int he code then they can just tweak it up a little.

I actually need to examine the settings more to see if it can be adjusted in there.

#128 8 years ago

I adjusted my pops to hair trigger and am satisfied with their action now. I find the ball can easily exit the pops area, so it doesn't get caught in there for too long.

#129 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I adjusted my pops to hair trigger and am satisfied with their action now. I find the ball can easily exit the pops area, so it doesn't get caught in there for too long.

yeah, I went with hair trigger also.

I would like just a tad more powere to increase the pops action. Part of the 'feel' of the pops now is the grouping is slightly wider than most.

#130 8 years ago

I'd also like a "pops animation", something to reinforce what is happening there. Think of EVERY Stern game, they all have pops animations.

#131 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Is Dave responsible for Aliens design?

Read my post above yours, it's basically Dave and Dennis Nordman, with Dennis layout out the initial idea, and Dave taking it from there and changing quite a bit. I think it's a best of both worlds scenario.

#132 8 years ago

I got to try out this machine on Wednesday and was surprised with how much fun it was. Not really into the theme, but as I have learned the theme doesn't really matter when playing on location.

The LCD screens are a nice addition. The animations are pretty good, but also simplistic. I think that is a good thing because it doesn't really distract you from focusing on the ball. The playfield LCD is a nice touch, though it takes some getting used to. It is in the middle of the playfield and on my first game I did not notice that it was there.

This machine is also very fast. I think that part of it is due to there not being any physical rollover switches; they are all induction switches under the playfield. This means that the ball will fly through the inlanes down to the flipper. Speaking of inlanes, the other neat thing I like about this machine is how there are three lanes to the left of the slingshot. The middle one drains and the left one generally rolls over the gap to the flipper. I have seen that layout on virtual tables, but never on an actual machine.

Overall I think Heighway did a great job with their first machine and I look forward to seeing what they do with Alien and future machines. Thanks again to Madison Pinball for putting this game out on location for all of us to enjoy.

#133 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballBeerGuy:

Overall I think Heighway did a great job with their first machine and I look forward to seeing what they do with Alien and future machines. Thanks again to Madison Pinball for putting this game out on location for all of us to enjoy.

Agreed on the success of their first machine. The entire package is very impressive, only negative that I can see is the theme which does nothing for me, but must for others. I wish this company all the best.

#134 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

yeah, I went with hair trigger also.
I would like just a tad more powere to increase the pops action. Part of the 'feel' of the pops now is the grouping is slightly wider than most.

On the latest code we turned down the power on the pops slightly, for software reasons. This should hopefully be redressed in the next code update

#135 8 years ago
Quoted from HeighwayPinball:

On the latest code we turned down the power on the pops slightly, for software reasons. This should hopefully be redressed in the next code update

good to know!

Hoping to also get some time with you (your code team) and a game at TPF to talk ideas/polish.

thanks and looking forward to seeing you next week Andrew!

#136 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I'd also like a "pops animation", something to reinforce what is happening there. Think of EVERY Stern game, they all have pops animations.

Overall it needs a few more sound FX & animations. But there is an animation for the pops already, it's the RPM gauge showing your progress.

#137 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

The inner loop shot is the BEST flowing inner rebound shot in pinball IMO. Steve R loves these kind of shots (ST, BK2K, Getaway) and FullT put such a great spin on the general idea and used the flow and speed so well in this shot.
Toss on that the orbits and ramps are butter smooth. WOW! Get on a roll and it is just such a FLOW MONSTER!

It sounds like he heresy to challenge S.Ritchie, but you speak the truth. Full Throttle is a fast & flowing masterpiece!

1 week later
#138 8 years ago

Got to play a dozen games on this when I was in town last week and was pretty blown away. I can't help but compare this to WoZ (both first games for a new company and wide body games) and I think FT is the clear winner. The shots are great like everyone has already mentioned and the game has that "one more game" feel too. It can only be better with the fiber optic ramps.
Really hope someone in SE Michigan will put one on location. Considering saving up for Alien and then buying the FT playfield to swap in.

#139 8 years ago
Quoted from Pale_Purple:

Considering saving up for Alien and then buying the FT playfield to swap in.

Do the opposite and start playing sooner

#140 8 years ago
Quoted from Pale_Purple:

Considering saving up for Alien and then buying the FT playfield to swap in.

I also woudl suggest buying the FT game so you can play it now and then swap in the Alien PF once that kit is ready.

#141 8 years ago

So far the ONLY hiccups have been a broken autoplunger plastic tip and the silicone wheel top coming off a spinning tire. I just replaced the autoplungger tip and raised the wheel to make it flush (till Heighway gets us a new wheel sticker and silicone top in the mail)

Game has been super solid for getting lots of play. IME event new game will have some hiccups during the first month on route while the bugs get worked out and FThrottle has been MINOR things. REALLY happy with the game at this stage.

#142 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I also woudl suggest buying the FT game so you can play it now and then swap in the Alien PF once that kit is ready.

Yeah. I hate to be negative towards Heighway, but lets get realistic about when Alien customers will get their machines. Even once a prototype starts getting brought to shows, there will still be a significant wait for delivery (and likely further revisions based on real world feedback). And we don't have a final prototype yet.

Full Throttle had 2 toys that ended up getting dropped. The overcharger and pop up pop bumpers, both for reliability issues. That kind of stuff only comes out in the wash with heavy testing, and we aren't there yet.

Buy Full Throttle today, and get Alien when it's done, whenever its done.

#143 8 years ago

Right. My wife was asking when we would be getting our Alien pin. My guess is this fall, realistically. So if you like fast, fun, & flowing pinball, Full Throttle is your game! Get a standard Full Throttle (Black & Silver cab)& an Alien playfield would look perfect in it!

#144 8 years ago

Question for those having played FT:

I notice the "picture frame" on the FT machine at my local arcade seems loose when I attempt to nudge the machine forward; the frame slides forward and back by 1/4 to 1/2 inch (but, no looseness side to side). Is this the intended fit of the frame, or does the operator need to tighten the frame down? My visits over the past few weeks were the same.

I have not asked as she's got >100 machines at this location, obviously a lot on her plate. I'd only ask if a valid concern.

Thx!

#145 8 years ago
Quoted from markp99:

Question for those having played FT:
I notice the "picture frame" on the FT machine at my local arcade seems loose when I attempt to nudge the machine forward; the frame slides forward and back by 1/4 to 1/2 inch (but, no looseness side to side). Is this the intended fit of the frame, or does the operator need to tighten the frame down? My visits over the past few weeks were the same.
I have not asked as she's got >100 machines at this location, obviously a lot on her plate. I'd only ask if a valid concern.
Thx!

The glass frame? It should Not move at all, it needs to be tightened. Mine does not wiggle at all.

#146 8 years ago
Quoted from markp99:

"picture frame" on the FT machine at my local arcade seems loose

do you mean the screen in the playfield?

that should not be moving at all. It is like all other windows in most games (Creech, Congo, etc...) where you can tighten or loosen the window to move its position up/down vertically in the pf.

#147 8 years ago

Sorry. Yes, the glass frame on the cabinet.

If still loose this weekend, I'll bring it up with the attendant/owner.

Thx

#148 8 years ago

I think he means the "magazine". Mine is actually a bit loose too, how it sits on the cabinet, but I've never tried to tighten it up. I always assumed it could be, I just never got around to it.

#149 8 years ago
Quoted from markp99:

Sorry. Yes, the glass frame on the cabinet.
If still loose this weekend, I'll bring it up with the attendant.
Thx

the glass and lockdown bar/frame shoudl not be loose at all. You can likely go and lift up the entire pf frame and glass if it is. They can adjust the lockdown mech just like on any other game so it holds the glass/frame down tight and the handle shoudl slide allt he way to the right when adjusted properly and locked down correctly.

#150 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

the glass and lockdown bar/frame shoudl not be loose at all. You can likely go and lift up the entire pf frame and glass if it is.

I had this thought and tried to see if the the entire pf glass would lift. It did not; it was locked down, just loosely in the vertical (front to back) direction

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
There are 187 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/full-throttle-on-its-way-to-madison-wi/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.