IMG_20221003_162515 (resized).jpg
IMG_20221003_161331 (resized).jpg
IMG_20221003_161926 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220818_030644868 (resized).jpg
C2399CE5-2438-4104-BE20-340F5CCB10FA (resized).jpeg
79B71A06-81B6-4937-8BAB-E1E155B6674E (resized).jpeg
#1 1 year ago

Hello pinheads.
I purchased a full throttle, and it has more issues than I was told when i bought it. Hoping pinside can come to my rescue, i would love to play it.
I have two extra boards.
I WILL DONATE TO PINSIDE FOR EACH PROBLEM THAT GETS RESOLVED!!

1 - wires in back box pulled out and i am not sure where they go (backbox lights dont work)

2 - shooter lane coil activates as soon as it is hooked up. (I have one wire off it) and when i hook up the second wire to it the whee disks on the playfield spin. (Game in attract mode)

3 - during attract mode all lights flash then the top left hand section freezes (is that normal)

4 - the lights behind the stand up targets ‘O’ and ‘T’ are not lit and the ‘C’ doesn’t cycle in attract mode.

5 - ‘M’ ‘P’ ‘H’ upper lanes dont light and do mot register during gameplay.

6 - upper left up post was disabled in settings, when i got it. Is it supposed to be set to that?

7 - when you start a race there are no lights lit on the playfield to direct you where to shoot. Is that normal?

8- when you start the game the ‘R’’A’’C’’E’ inlanes do not register is that normal?

#2 1 year ago

S/W date : 27/7/2016
Sy 1.13 6balls
CHECKSUM b9a8e979

101HW 1.4 SW 0.6
102HW 1.3 SW 0.6
103HW 1.4 SW 0.6
10CHW 1.4 SW 0.6

Heighway service menu
Full throttle
Game rev 1.41
Locale: UK

#3 1 year ago

Maybe some other owners can help. There is an owners group thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/full-throttle-club-enjoy-the-adrenaline

Quoted from toasterman04:

S/W date : 27/7/2016
Sy 1.13 6balls
CHECKSUM b9a8e979
101HW 1.4 SW 0.6
102HW 1.3 SW 0.6
103HW 1.4 SW 0.6
10CHW 1.4 SW 0.6
Heighway service menu
Full throttle
Game rev 1.41

#5 1 year ago

Yes thank you. I will mention this thread in that one. I just wanted to create this new thread for future reference if someone else has similar issues.

#6 1 year ago
79B71A06-81B6-4937-8BAB-E1E155B6674E (resized).jpeg79B71A06-81B6-4937-8BAB-E1E155B6674E (resized).jpeg
#7 1 year ago

toasterman04

I have never seen a Full Throttle so cannot offer too much.

However, looking at the image above, I would disconnect the plugs and check to see the placement of the molex pins inside the upper socket. Where there are pins, but no wires attached, would indicate in which slots on the plug those wires should go. Of course, if they were never properly crimped or intended to go in that plug, you won't learn much - but it's worth a shot!

Good luck!

#8 1 year ago

Yes i can see two but not sure which color is which as the wires on the other side of the connector are not the same color

#9 1 year ago

Here is a picture of my power supply as well

C2399CE5-2438-4104-BE20-340F5CCB10FA (resized).jpegC2399CE5-2438-4104-BE20-340F5CCB10FA (resized).jpeg
#10 1 year ago

Good luck getting it together , super fast playing game

#11 1 year ago

I have one I’m trying to sell. Very tough to move. And not a bad game, either!

#12 1 year ago

Yes i can see two but not sure which color is which as the wires on the other side of the connector are not the same color

Does the other connector have the same color wires coming out of it? If so, you can see which wire goes where.

#13 1 year ago

Most of these bad boys have problems. Shame because it is a fun game.

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from RebelGuitars:

Does the other connector have the same color wires coming out of it? If so, you can see which wire goes where.

No not the same on the other side

#15 1 year ago
PXL_20220818_030644868 (resized).jpgPXL_20220818_030644868 (resized).jpg
#16 1 year ago

Here is a link to a video showing Full Throttle starting up.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/147CCvhDgQlxr4lsVXggFY0bxS9vaRSiZ/view?usp=sharing
I'm running game code 1.3 and all I/O boards are at 1.4

#17 1 year ago

You can try swapping I/O boards to see if the problems follow the board(s).

#18 1 year ago

Hope you get it sorted fastest wide body I know of I enjoy mine and I believe there is less than 100 made!

#19 1 year ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

You can try swapping I/O boards to see if the problems follow the board(s).

awesome! thanks for the pic I will get those wired put back hopefully tonight. I did swap the boards around and didn't find it resolved anything. Summer is a busy time so I haven't had a lot of time working on it. But I'm not getting anywhere. I wonder if all the boards need to be them same as one of mine is 1.3

101HW 1.4 SW 0.6
102HW 1.3 SW 0.6
103HW 1.4 SW 0.6
10CHW 1.4 SW 0.6

Heighway service menu
Full throttle
Game rev 1.41

Why are you not running the newer code of 1.41? is there a known bug with it?

#20 1 year ago

awesome! thanks for the pic I will get those wired put back hopefully tonight. I did swap the boards around and didn't find it resolved anything. Summer is a busy time so I haven't had a lot of time working on it. But I'm not getting anywhere. I wonder if all the boards need to be them same as one of mine is 1.3
101HW 1.4 SW 0.6
102HW 1.3 SW 0.6
103HW 1.4 SW 0.6
10CHW 1.4 SW 0.6
Heighway service menu
Full throttle
Game rev 1.41

I'm using the code that was on the game when I got it. Didn't think to look for newer code. I wouldn't expect all boards have to be on the same rev but can you update board 102HW?

1 month later
#21 1 year ago

First thing- SSH to the Utilite and check logs.

1 - wires in back box pulled out and i am not sure where they go (backbox lights dont work)
R/B wires are backbox RGB's. Connect to P11 on main PSU board.
Y/B for the LCD screen, R/G speakers.

2 - shooter lane coil activates as soon as it is hooked up. (I have one wire off it) and when i hook up the second wire to it the whee disks on the playfield spin. (Game in attract mode)
One of the 8x 100V mosfet's on an IO board is cooked. Trace coil number to the pin on the IO, test the mosfet and replace it. 39100PEI1922D2028700 is the component ID, easily done in 5 mins with good rework kit.

3 - during attract mode all lights flash then the top left hand section freezes (is that normal)
No. IO board is locking up. Check all connections on IO and where they terminate, could be a firmware prob.

4 - the lights behind the stand up targets ‘O’ and ‘T’ are not lit and the ‘C’ doesn’t cycle in attract mode.
Serial addressed RGB's, reseat or swap.

5 - ‘M’ ‘P’ ‘H’ upper lanes dont light and do mot register during gameplay.
Them new fancy inductor switches should be raised closer to the PF, reseated but can fail.

6 - upper left up post was disabled in settings, when i got it. Is it supposed to be set to that?
No. Check relevant IO mosfet.

7 - when you start a race there are no lights lit on the playfield to direct you where to shoot. Is that normal?
No. Check all relevant .connectors

8- when you start the game the ‘R’’A’’C’’E’ inlanes do not register is that normal?
Them new fan-dangled switches again.

IMG_20221003_161331 (resized).jpgIMG_20221003_161331 (resized).jpgIMG_20221003_161926 (resized).jpgIMG_20221003_161926 (resized).jpgIMG_20221003_162515 (resized).jpgIMG_20221003_162515 (resized).jpgIMG_20221003_162534 (resized).jpgIMG_20221003_162534 (resized).jpg
#23 1 year ago

101HW 1.4 SW 0.6
102HW 1.3 SW 0.6
103HW 1.4 SW 0.6
10CHW 1.4 SW 0.6
Heighway service menu
Full throttle
Game rev 1.41

1.41's updates will do IO firmware, but it may be safer to do them on the bench first, taking the Utilite, USB comms, earlier Avrdude version out of the risk.
Protect bit on the IO's PIC32 is not set, so back 'em up with MPLAB or Avrdude.
Process documented here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/heighway-pinball-support-full-throttle-and-alien/page/17#post-4785992

#24 1 year ago

I created the animations and audio design for this game, and most of the rules. A fun game for sure and very rare. I even helped assemble some of them, but no idea where the wires go. I hope you get it working.

#25 1 year ago

SLAMT1LT I really enjoy the clever humor in this game.
How about taking me for a ride big boy, you left a skid mark there, Mel's flag waving, Valentino's attitude, audio and animations, music all are killer. Good job.

#26 1 year ago
Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

I created the animations and audio design for this game, and most of the rules. A fun game for sure and very rare. I even helped assemble some of them, but no idea where the wires go. I hope you get it working.

I really like the way it plays. Thanks for your contributions.

#27 1 year ago

Can some one tell me if you get a multi ball when winning a race like Italy?
Thanks

#28 1 year ago

Thanks

#29 1 year ago

You don't get a multiball for winning a race. If you place in a race it helps you later. Here is a great video of Bowen Kerins going through the rules.

4 months later
#30 1 year ago

Does anyone know if there exists a Full Throttle build that will run on something other than the Utilite PC? I heard rumor of a build that could run on the Alien computer which is much more standard. Does anyone know more?

#31 1 year ago
Quoted from FunkyFreshWalrus:

Does anyone know if there exists a Full Throttle build that will run on something other than the Utilite PC? I heard rumor of a build that could run on the Alien computer which is much more standard. Does anyone know more?

Possibly.
The the Linux image on the silly little uSD card in the Utilite was built with Poky, the Yocto Project reference distro for embedded devices and it's meant work on most embedded architectures. I think Mr Fontain made this happen.

The Utilite is ARMv9 (or 7, can't remember), so sticking the uSD image in any ARM dev board should work. Might need to fix some u-Boot params but theoretically it should work.

If the Yocto image needs transferring to a different architecture, say Intel, change a couple lines in the config file and away you go. No messing about rebuilding another image.

Another way would be to run it under QEMU, or for the owners of the Full Throttle source to simply ask Mr Odd Change to compile it for say Wintel and release it.

I'm off to buy a suitable ARM dev board. Will report the outcome after it arrives.

#32 1 year ago
Quoted from FunkyFreshWalrus:

Alien is x64 Ubuntu. No Zotak or other fancy special computer needed.
You can boot the image on an old laptop.

#33 1 year ago

Thanks for the info. This would certainly extend the life of the Full Throttles out there if we could get it running on something available instead of a hard to find specific Mini-pc.

#34 1 year ago
Quoted from shaneo:

Alien is x64 Ubuntu. No Zotak or other fancy special computer needed.
You can boot the image on an old laptop.

That is the dream for Full Throttle. You are never going to have a hard time finding an x86 board set to run it on.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/full-throttle-help-needed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.