(Topic ID: 139587)

Full Throttle - 1 Month Later (Now 1 Year Later)

By frolic

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

There are 98 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 8 years ago

Good write up. Thanks for the in depth honest review.

#52 8 years ago
Quoted from Shoot_Again:

Good write up. Thanks for the in depth honest review.

I'll do another one at "3 months" or something... just to update on any changes/fixes/software that we've seen, and reliability and performance over that period.

#53 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I'll do another one at "3 months" or something... just to update on any changes/fixes/software that we've seen, and reliability and performance over that period.

Any word on the next code update?

#54 8 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

Any word on the next code update?

I've been told one is coming ever since I received my machine. No idea when it will arrive though and what will be changed.

2 months later
#55 8 years ago

You still enjoying it Frolic?

3 weeks later
#56 8 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

You still enjoying it Frolic?

I am. I had modest expectations, I hoped for a solid 7 or 8 game, and it is that for certain. Visitors have all enjoyed it.

Since Full Throttle arrived, I've also gotten a Game of Thrones LE, and it is interesting to compare the 2.

Even though GoT has red dots, the rest of the package, the playfield, the backglass, and certainly the light show (both in brightness and intensity) look "newer" than the Full Throttle.

I've been critical of the overall brightness of Full Throttle, and having Game of Thrones show up really solidifies that. And GoT just doesn't have bright GI, the inserts are brighter as well. So it leaves Full Throttle looking dim in comparison which is a shame for a "new" pinball platform.

But Full Throttle is priced competitively... it is cheaper than GoT LE, and around the same as a GoT premium, and I think it is a competitive product.

There's been the odd gremlin, game has frozen the odd time, a connection came loose, and just today my back glass LCD went dark (main playfield still works), so no catastrophic failures leaving the game off. Still waiting for the software update and a care package of fixes, like the shooter lane protector which is still not here.

Overall thumbs up.

#57 8 years ago

Thank you for your comments frolic, please, i have a question for you.
I have very interest in FT, but, i think that the code is very very simply, and, i fear that in a few months im bored of this pinball, sorry for my english again.

You know that i want to say? What do you feel about this?

I have ACDC Lucy, TWDLE and STLE, i'm afraid that it fails to rise to this challenge.

#58 8 years ago

The game is in dire need of that shooterlane protector. The ball often gets stuck next to the shooter coil (at least on my game)

I agree that GOT is a much brighter game.

But to be frank(I only have GOT pro) I much prefer the lights in Full Throttle, otherwise. Got is way too bright for my taste (even without the blinding flashers )

The color-changing rgb lights on Full Throttle looks really, really nice and you have them on all the lights. Not just a few, like on Stern premiums/le (Stern pro are nowhere near the quality of the Full Throttle light system)

Just a tad brighter and the lights on Full Throttle would be perfect for me.

Regarding the code: I would say that Full Throttle can stand face to face with Star Trek (although very different in shape and form)

It is, of course a lot simpler than TWD and AC/DC but it does it's job very well. You always have something to go for and the medal/add a a ball rules for the challenges is a lot of fun and hard to master. The standard modes (the races) is ok but so far I do not find them as engaging as the challenges (I have only had the game a couple of weeks, so this could very well change)
Another cool factor is the gears (from the pop bumpers) that can add 2x, 3x, 4x, 5x, 6x scoring for a short period, and you can choose when to use it.

Game has:

-7 modes + wizard mode
-5 challenges + wizard challenge
-High Octane fast scoring mode
-Regular Multiball mode
-Bopbumper playfield multiplier feature (activated by launch button)
-Red Mist Multiball (not seen this yet)
-Mystery hole that has many functions
- a cool magnet that catches the ball for ball lock

For a fast playing racing game, I think this is plenty. A too complicated ruleset(like ac/dc and TWD) would just work against the fast playing nature of the theme.

Personally, so far, I think the game has plenty of stay ability.

I am sure that frolic, who have owned the game much longer than me, has much more to comment about the game.
Over to you, frolic

#59 8 years ago
Quoted from karl:

Got is way too bright for my taste

Full LED super bright games are borderline unplayable for me so this is good to hear.

#60 8 years ago

I think the inserts are fine on Full Throttle, but could use more GI. Although I do love the GOT light show. Improved with the setting to not flash the GIs and create the blinding effect.

And I'm really speaking more to the point of how the game appears in a lineup of other games. The Stern's with their "Can be seen from Space" lighting really attract more attention.

Rule wise, I think Full Throttle succeeds as a fast racing game. It is not Lord of the Rings, but shouldn't try to be. Tron is not a long playing game either.

Lots of multiballs and ways to press your luck trying to build multipliers. I look forward to the software update and seeing Francesco utilized properly.

#61 8 years ago

Very thanks for your help.

Karl, can you explicate me the modes? i understand the challenges (its the racing no?) but, the modes i dont know.

#62 8 years ago

No, it is the races that are the modes. (easy to get them confused)

The challenges are also modes but multiball modes. The Challenges are called Street racing, motorcross, stunt riding, drag racing and circuit racing.

Here is how the challenges work:

Each of the main 5 shots (orbits, ramps, captive ball, spinner, inner loop) has it's own challenge

Say you hit the captive ball 5 times. That will start the captive ball 2-ball multiball mode, etc.

The fun thing is that you can stack all the different challenges with each other. So while you are playing the captive ball multiball, you
can also start another challenge and get a 3-ball multiball with bigger scoring. You can actually have all the challenges going at once. That means a 6-ball mulitiball with much bigger scoring.

While you are playing a challenge, the goal is to get bronze, silver and gold cups. Those cups are rewarded during the challenge wizard mode. The challenge wizard mode is a 6 ball multiball frenzy and scoring is dependent on how well you did in each challenge.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Races (regular modes) you start by first spelling race on the innlanes (mystery scoope can also reward Race letters)
Then you hit the scoop to start a race mode.

The goal in the race modes are to finish in first place but they all are a bit different from each other, so you are not doing the same thing over and over. (all the races are single ball modes)

Example: In one of the modes you have to avoid the blue arrows and only hit the red ones, etc.
When you get to first place, the spinner will light up for you to finish the race.
The race modes are indicated by the flags above the flipper. Each Country has it's own race (mode)

I hope this made some sense to you nonik. My English is far from perfect

#63 8 years ago
Quoted from karl:

No, the races are the modes.
The challenges are also modes but multiball modes.

Great overview! Thanks

#64 8 years ago

Thanks.

PS! Be sure to hit the plunger button to change gears when the action is intense. You can see how many gears you have available on the backboard.

The standard multiball you start by hitting the green lock targets and then locking balls in the garage.

In multiball I believe you hit every shot twice for regular Jackpots. Hitting all of them will light super jackpots.

Getting to the challenge wizard mode is easy but the race modes wizard mode is much harder to get to. I have yet to reach that one and red mist multiball.

#65 8 years ago
Quoted from karl:

Thanks.
PS! Be sure to hit the plunger button to change gears when the action is intense. You can see how many gears you have available on the backboard.

Multipliers become slightly more difficult to light each time; i.e. it requires a few more bumper hits per gear. I see many people cashing out their multipliers as soon as they drain; don't do that! (The multiplier doesn't apply to bonus either.)

In multiball I believe you hit every shot twice for regular Jackpots. Hitting all of them will light super jackpots.

Nope, you only have to hit each shot once. Base jackpot value goes up the more races you have won. Supers award 3X, 4X, then 5X.

Getting to the challenge wizard mode is easy but the race modes wizard mode is much harder to get to. I have yet to reach that one and red mist multiball.

World Championship is hard to reach, but doable if you focus on it and has a good payoff. Final Challenge is indeed easier, but the payoff is usually lower. You'll need to collect a few trophies to get the jackpot values up to decent points.

#66 8 years ago

though i havent played ft seems like a cool game to have. i plan on ordering one kit to go with my alien le.

#67 8 years ago

guau! very thanks karl, my english its very bad too

You help to me to know this pinball, It was something I thought was so simply. I like it! the code no is the same as GOT but, looks good, very good!

Thanks BCD for the corrections too.

#68 8 years ago

Loving ours on location here in CT. I made a temp fix for the shooter lane. Andrew said I should have the cover by Wednesday this week. Only other failure I e had is the auto plunger broke. The plastic broke free from the steel and fired it up the playfield. Epoxied it back together and it's as good as new.

GI brightness can be increased in the menu but will never be as bright at new sterns which tend to be blinding to me. Everyone who's played it loves it so far. No ones getting sick of it. Keep coming back for more. Not a real long playing game so you keep wanting to try again. Also haven't seen red mist or the race wizard mode.

#69 8 years ago
Quoted from bcd:

Nope, you only have to hit each shot once. Base jackpot value goes up the more races you have won. Supers award 3X, 4X, then 5X.

Thanks for the correction.

Must admit that I have not focused too much on regular multiball yet. Starting as many challenges as possible, close together, has been my main priority, because it is so addictive

Quoted from nonik:

guau! very thanks karl, my english its very bad too

Glad to help out

#70 8 years ago
Quoted from bcd:

Multipliers become slightly more difficult to light each time; i.e. it requires a few more bumper hits per gear. I see many people cashing out their multipliers as soon as they drain; don't do that! (The multiplier doesn't apply to bonus either.)

World Championship is hard to reach, but doable if you focus on it and has a good payoff. Final Challenge is indeed easier, but the payoff is usually lower. You'll need to collect a few trophies to get the jackpot values up to decent points.

BCD, You are in charge of writing the code, correct?

#71 8 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

BCD, You are in charge of writing the code, correct?

Yes, I wrote the majority of the game code, based on the main ideas from the core development team in the UK.

Mostly I'm just coding what I'm asked to, and giving feedback on what I think works/doesn't work for them to decide.

2 months later
#72 8 years ago

Hey Frolic; I purchased an FT at the TPF this weekend. As I mentioned, your threads here are a big part of the reason I decided to purchase. I was going to PM, but better to share the excitement with other Pinsiders. I'll start a new thread with some pics etc when I get home and settled this week. I'm still at the show this morning with a long day ahead of me.

#73 8 years ago

I played it at TPF for the first time this weekend. Loved it! A very fun and beautiful game that does a great job of executing a racing theme with many clever ideas. I kept going back to play it some more. Add to that the fact that you can swap out new games and the very reasonable price point and I think it is a winner. Congratulations Nevus!

#74 8 years ago

My desicion to buy was solely on what I have read on pinside , it is a wealth of info , and I really appreciate what Frolic has put into these posts .

#75 8 years ago

Glad to be a part of it. I tried to be honest and objective and not a cheerleader or be perceived as one. My hope was people could trust me in the future for opinions on other games.

Glad to see more full throttles getting delivered and the reviews have been consistently positive. mine has been holding up well all this time I am happy to report.

1 month later
#76 7 years ago

I really enjoyed playing this game at Allentown, it's exciting to see a great game with so many original ideas. I thought it played really fast, and the shots felt smooth...

2 months later
#77 7 years ago

Well, it has been four months since I played this game at TPF and this morning I ordered a Full Throttle LE. Melissa says it should be here in 2-3 weeks. I also ordered the Alien LE conversion kit. I'm eagerly awaiting delivery!

Added over 8 years ago: The conversion kit is not an LE kit. I will add the beacons and fibre optics to the standard kit. Sorry for the confusion.

#78 7 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

I also ordered the Alien LE conversion kit.

They had a price on that? Didn't think they'd have that until the game launches...I need one

#79 7 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

They had a price on that?

No price on that other than saying it would be about 60% of the cost of the full pin.

#80 7 years ago

check

#81 7 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

Well, it has been four months since I played this game at TPF and this morning I ordered a Full Throttle LE. Melissa says it should be here in 2-3 weeks. I also ordered the Alien LE conversion kit. I'm eagerly awaiting delivery!

You're kidding?!?! 2-3 weeks? I can't get an answer on a year old LE order in 2-3 weeks.

Congrats, though. I'm happy for you.

#82 7 years ago
Quoted from DylanFan71:

You're kidding?!?! 2-3 weeks? I can't get an answer on a year old LE order in 2-3 weeks.
Congrats, though. I'm happy for you.

Hi Michael. Your game is effectively finished. We are only waiting on the new fibre optic boards to arrive - which should be next week.

Apologies for the delay and feel free to email me directly at [email protected] with any questions you have.

#83 7 years ago

So I just saw this thread and his out of the box issues sound pretty typical when compared to Stern. I just unboxed a Star Trek Premium and had to adjust pop bumper switches and the GI cable was ripped off the PCB in the back box. Took me an hour to find that and get the GI turned on. Then there was other minor stuff that I forget.

#84 7 years ago

Well, since this my thread.. we're approaching almost a year of ownership of Full Throttle... here is how we're doing:

-The game has never sat dark during the entire time I've had it.
-Problems I've dealt with are of the minor variety... loose connections mostly.
-Original backbox lcd died, was replaced with large LCD.
-I did get the "speaker hum" issue, but it's been outlined in another thread the solution is to unbundle the speaker wires from the main trunk.
-The game did crash on occasion with version 1.0 software. With version 1.2 I've only seen it crash once (needs a cold reboot when this happens).
-I was just sent version 1.41 to update but have not done it yet.

Overall, in hindsight, in my desire to be the first owner there was high risk of the game not working for periods of time. I trusted Andrew that if something were to happen he would fix me up, but fortunately nothing major (worst was the LCD failure which was simple enough, and there is the playfield screen so the game was still playable at that time) has happened.

I think rule-wise the game could use some retooling, with real world feedback showing that the international race modes are generally avoided. Everyone basically works the multiball stacking strategy and avoids the scoop completely. Country races just seem too high risk for little reward.

But the game overall is fun, shoots awesome, and the mentioned stacking multiballs is a really fun pinball experience. I just think that half the game modes are avoided in general so that could be revisited.

#85 7 years ago

How are your plastics holding up? I've had a few break after a relatively low number of plays. Heighway has been great about replacing them though.

#86 7 years ago

No plastics broken. Why did yours break?

#87 7 years ago

Good question. Maybe I got a bad batch?

#88 7 years ago

Mine showed up today , the box with the usb was laying loose and I have a bunch of cables unplugged with no idea where they go . Anyone have a Manual? Not bad considering the travel it's gone through , it was well packed ! Got the cables sorted and played a few games , loving it . Needs some tweaking but that's expected .

#89 7 years ago

is v1.41 a beta or is it available to all users?

#90 7 years ago
Quoted from freezie:

Mine showed up today , the box with the usb was laying loose and I have a bunch of cables unplugged with no idea where they go . Anyone have a Manual? Not bad considering the travel it's gone through , it was well packed ! Got the cables sorted and played a few games , loving it . Needs some tweaking but that's expected .

Glad you got the cables sorted and glad you're loving the game.

Let us know if we can help in any way

#91 7 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

is v1.41 a beta or is it available to all users?

Think it is beta.

- Improved flipper strength
- Improved pop bumper strength
- More shaker controls
- More fiber optic controls

#92 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballRulez:

Think it is beta.
- Improved flipper strength
- Improved pop bumper strength
- More shaker controls
- More fiber optic controls

We believe it is stable now, and ready for release.

A few minor changes to the accompanying document and it should be ready to go

#93 7 years ago

Thank you Heighway! I love your game. Looking forward to adding my shaker. You guys doing anything code-wise for the rules (specifically the races?)

#94 7 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Thank you Heighway! I love your game. Looking forward to adding my shaker. You guys doing anything code-wise for the rules (specifically the races?)

At this point no - because we are flat out with coding Alien.

Howver, that will change soon. We will read feedback on the thread here and work on a code update for Full Throttle in the coming months.

#95 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Well, since this my thread.. we're approaching almost a year of ownership of Full Throttle... here is how we're doing:
-The game has never sat dark during the entire time I've had it.
-Problems I've dealt with are of the minor variety... loose connections mostly.
-Original backbox lcd died, was replaced with large LCD.
-I did get the "speaker hum" issue, but it's been outlined in another thread the solution is to unbundle the speaker wires from the main trunk.
-The game did crash on occasion with version 1.0 software. With version 1.2 I've only seen it crash once (needs a cold reboot when this happens).
-I was just sent version 1.41 to update but have not done it yet.
Overall, in hindsight, in my desire to be the first owner there was high risk of the game not working for periods of time. I trusted Andrew that if something were to happen he would fix me up, but fortunately nothing major (worst was the LCD failure which was simple enough, and there is the playfield screen so the game was still playable at that time) has happened.
I think rule-wise the game could use some retooling, with real world feedback showing that the international race modes are generally avoided. Everyone basically works the multiball stacking strategy and avoids the scoop completely. Country races just seem too high risk for little reward.
But the game overall is fun, shoots awesome, and the mentioned stacking multiballs is a really fun pinball experience. I just think that half the game modes are avoided in general so that could be revisited.

I got to play it again at Pinburgh last week. It's a game I definitely enjoy & would love to own at some point. As you mentioned, the big issue with the current coding is complete avoidance of all races is the best strategy to getting a really good score. I found myself almost groaning when the ball accidentally went into the scoop.

#96 7 years ago

I'm very excited about the increased power in the pops. My lower pop barely works. My switch is in great position but hardly any action on any of the pops but especially the lower one. I've messed with the connection and that maybe held a slight improvement for a few games but overall nothing really noticeable. More power to the pops will hopefully rectify this on my pin.

#97 7 years ago

I'm running 1.41 but not noticeable difference in sling/pop strength, however they seemed adequate to how I had the game setup prior. I did need to to some switch adjusting and also changed the sling rubbers to whites and loosened the coils assy's as they were a wee bit tight.

3 weeks later
#98 7 years ago

Have you ever wanted a fast way to learn to play Full Throttle without reading long reviews?

Now we have the answer for you:

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Electronics
Cobra Amusements
Electronics
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 98 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/full-throttle-1-month-later/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.