Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC04989 (resized).JPG
DSC04987 (resized).JPG
DSC04978 (resized).JPG
DSC04977 (resized).JPG
DSC04976 (resized).JPG
Screen Shot 2016-08-25 at 9.15.56 AM (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider monsonb.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Williams Full House (1966) project.

I had a bulb that would only light up if I moved it around a bit, so I tried using Steve Young's socket cleaner stick. Now the socket blows the fuse to the back box lights every time I turn a bulb into the socket.

I've been troubleshooting with a circuit breaker to save money on fuses, but even without a bulb in the socket the breaker lets go and the back box lights go out after a few minutes.

How could I have screwed up?

Thanks for any ideas.

#3 7 years ago

Thank you, I'll check for those things this evening.

#4 7 years ago

I wrote that I'd check the socket tonight, but then I remembered I took pictures to see if I could spot something that I couldn't see with my glasses on.

Quoted from TimMe:

Check the inside of the socket from the front. There is a small coiled spring that acts as the center post on this type of socket. If this spring-post got badly bent from the cleaning stick, it may be touching the side wall of the socket, which would cause a short and blow the fuse.

Do these types of sockets have the small coiled spring?
Screen Shot 2016-08-25 at 9.15.56 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2016-08-25 at 9.15.56 AM (resized).png
I did notice that the left side of the socket is missing the solder joint. Looks like it fell off. I'm guessing that this is why the bulb would only light when I moved it around, but I'm not sure if that can cause a fuse to blow.
DSC04976 (resized).JPGDSC04976 (resized).JPGDSC04977 (resized).JPGDSC04977 (resized).JPG
Here's a pic of a functioning socket. I don't see much difference besides the missing solder.
DSC04978 (resized).JPGDSC04978 (resized).JPG

#9 7 years ago

Great advice. I'll check this out this evening and report back. Appreciate it.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from Dr_of_Style:

lift the left side wire up so it does not touch, and start a game and see if fuse blows again.

I removed a couple of staples and turned on the game.

DSC04987 (resized).JPGDSC04987 (resized).JPG

After a few minutes the fuse breaker blew. If I removed one wire from the socket does that eliminate it from the circuit? Or do I have to completely remove the socket to keep it from causing a short?

#11 7 years ago

The frustrating part is that I did not have this problem until I tried cleaning this socket.
Until then, the backbox lights weren't a problem at all.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from TimMe:

Before the problem started, were you using the breaker, or was there a fuse in the holder?

There was a fuse. I've only been using the breaker while trying to work out this problem. It didn't occur to me that my breaker is rated at 5 amps and it's slowly blowing because it's in a 10 amp slot.

I think I'll put the correct fuse back in place and see if it blows with the socket in question eliminated from the circuit. If the fuse doesn't blow, then I'm guessing that the socket just needs to be replaced.

Does this sound right?

#17 7 years ago

I dropped in the correct fuse, and it didn't blow when I turned on the machine. Played a game and all was good. The 5 amp breaker wasn't the problem, it was just doing what it was supposed to do. My logic was the culprit. Good call, TinyMe.

I then tried jumping the socket to the wire, and the fuse didn't blow when I powered the Full House up.
DSC04989 (resized).JPGDSC04989 (resized).JPG

So I installed a bulb, which came to life and didn't flicker during a game. I think I'll take the Dr's advice and try to solder the wire back where it belongs.

Thanks for everyone's input. Helped a lot and I learned a lot, too.

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from TimMe:

Hey, that's MISTER TinyMe. Anyway, glad you got it fixed!

Whoops. Damn autocorrect...
Thanks, again.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider monsonb.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/full-house-socket-blows-fuse?tu=monsonb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.