28_G_sized.jpg
IMG_0446.JPG
IMG_0441.JPG
IMG_0440.JPG
IMG_0443.JPG
IMG_0438.JPG
IMG_0436.JPG
#1 10 years ago

Very nice TOM, HUO for at least the last 13 years, unk. history prior to that. New rubber, new Pinbits eddy boards, new Rottendog PDB, any burnt connectors/pins replaced, many led's filtered into the playfield and in the backbox, new trunk with brass chain mod, new Dayton woofer, red velvet sides. No issues, everything works perfectly. Wear under spirit ring insert & lettering is missing (see photos) small wear spot under center drain (under the apron), slight enamel touch up under trap door lite, a few nicks and dings in the cab, but not many. No fading, pin in very good condition.

IMG_0436.JPGIMG_0436.JPG IMG_0438.JPGIMG_0438.JPG IMG_0443.JPGIMG_0443.JPG IMG_0440.JPGIMG_0440.JPG IMG_0441.JPGIMG_0441.JPG IMG_0446.JPGIMG_0446.JPG

#2 10 years ago

Looks like a really nice example and I am sure you will not having it for long. GLWTS.

#3 10 years ago

Thank you, TL!

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Looks like a really nice example and I am sure you will not having it for long. GLWTS.

Seriously? It's missing a whole insert basically

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from turbo20lbs:

Didn't see that. I'm not really familiar with this title, you'll note I haven't even played it enough times to rate it.

The game looks good to my untrained eye though. I saw the wear around the magic insert but the roll over switches all look good, there is no fade that we can see in the pics, and the game is clean. OP has spent some money upgrading the boards, replacing the toys, and putting in LEDs; these are all signs to me that the owner cares for his games.

#6 10 years ago

Love this pin some day ill have one

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from turbo20lbs:

Actually, it seems to be missing the lettering (I think), the insert is there (unless there is a plastic cover that fits over the insert?). I still have not figured out what exactly is going on as I have nothing to compare it to, and photos are really no help so far. Other than the wear below that insert and some minor wear under the center drain (under the apron), this game is very nice--HUO for the last thirteen years. If I have over-priced it, I'll certainly take offers.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Actually, it seems to be missing the lettering (I think), the insert is there (unless there is a plastic cover that fits over the insert?). I still have not figured out what exactly is going on as I have nothing to compare it to, and photos are really no help so far. Other than the wear below that insert and some minor wear under the center drain (under the apron), this game is very nice--HUO for the last thirteen years. If I have over-priced it, I'll certainly take offers.

This is the most common wear area on this title--akin to the Lost Mine Kickout on WH20.

On your game the insert is completely missing the screened art & clearcoat on the insert--it should say SPIRIT RING like in the attached pic.

Unfortunately, your wear extends outside the insert and several colors and shapes of PF artwork are also gone (worn down to the wood).

To have it done right, it's going to require restoration by a skilled PF restorer, adept not only at artwork but color matching--estimated cost: $1000-$1300--not including the hobbyist time to remove and later replace everything above & below the PF/or additional cost if hiring someone.

28_G_sized.jpg28_G_sized.jpg // Error: Image 137099 not found //

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from NM:

This is the most common wear area on this title--akin to the Lost Mine Kickout on WH20.
On your game the insert is completely missing the screened art & clearcoat on the insert--it should say SPIRIT RING like in the attached pic.
Unfortunately, your wear extends outside the insert and several colors and shapes of PF artwork are also gone (worn down to the wood).
To have it done right, it's going to require restoration by a skilled PF restorer, adept not only at artwork but color matching--estimated cost: $1000-$1300--not including the hobbyist time to remove and later replace everything above & below the PF/or additional cost if hiring someone.

Well thats all fine and dandy. But Billy16 is looking to sell his game not restore it.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from fiberdude120:

Well thats all fine and dandy. But Billy16 is looking to sell his game not restore it.

He asked what was there and I gave him an explanation and provided a pic.

I also contributed what it would take to fix the area for a buyer in case the buyer wasn't familiar with the title & provided estimated PF restoration costs.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from NM:

He asked what was there and I gave him an explanation and provided a pic.
I also contributed what it would take to fix the area for a buyer in case the buyer wasn't familiar with the title & provided estimated PF restoration costs.

Thats cool, I was just joking around.

#12 10 years ago

Thanks for your estimate of repair, but I've got to believe it could be done much cheaper than that. As I said, I'm open to offers if this is unrealistically priced.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Thanks for your estimate of repair, but I've got to believe it could be done much cheaper than that. As I said, I'm open to offers if this is unrealistically priced.

I'm far from an expert restorer, I'm tackling my first full blown project right now (paint, decals, clear coat etc) but I really don't buy that estimate myself. Even if you decided you wouldn't accept a spot clear, and wanted to completely recoat the entire playfield that seems way overblown for touching up some paint, a decal, and a clear coat.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Thanks for your estimate of repair, but I've got to believe it could be done much cheaper than that.

Quoted from Aurich:

I'm far from an expert restorer, I'm tackling my first full blown project right now (paint, decals, clear coat etc) but I really don't buy that estimate myself. Even if you decided you wouldn't accept a spot clear, and wanted to completely recoat the entire playfield that seems way overblown for touching up some paint, a decal, and a clear coat.

All I can tell you guys is when you completely strip a PF and send it to one of the top restorers (HEP, Ron Kruzman, Capt. Neo, HSA, etc.), they'll spot repairs the untrained eye will not.

It wouldn't make any sense to strip a PF & send it to an expert for a spot repair obviously.

Even on a PF with minimal wear, issues like bordering or edging are present (the blacklines around inserts will need to be repainted; inserts leveled, whole game re-cleared, etc).

The challenge on this title is if you closely examine all the colors around the Spirit Ring insert, is that the colors aren't solid. In fact, they're comprised of about 100 small dots in that worn area alone--hence the higher labor estimate than below:

As a comparison, I recently paid HEP $1085 with shipping to repair my AFM PF with average to below-average SOL wear, ball drop, & shooter lane wear, etc. Keep in mind HEP represents the top of the mark--a bargain IMO vs. the cost of a repop; as the PF is now a masterpiece.

Not saying the full estimate should come off the price of this game, this one has some great additions and an excellent original-screened cabinet.

Just pointing out pointing out what was overlooked earlier in the thread--and a possible remedy to make it perfect; a spot repair is another option for someone who doesn't want to go all the way--but this title seems to be on the rise, and worthy of going all the way IMO (including a full brass package!).

#15 10 years ago

NM, your idea is certainly one way (and perhaps the best way) to repair the insert damage to make the game look close to original, but is by no means the only way to conduct the repair. This could be done with much less work, for a lot less money and still be almost unnoticeable. If I were going to invest the money you suggest into the repair, I'd look for a new playfield. The small amount of damage does not justify that expense.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
$ 11.95
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ftfs-very-nice-theatre-of-magic-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.