Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Jvspin
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Now that I finished my MB restoration I am looking for my next game to restore/buy.

I wanted to get a lower cost game this time and was looking at WCS or FT.

I have not played FT but like the fishing theme. I have played WCS and like the game but not as thrilled with the theme.

Any thoughts on the comparison of the 2 games above....

Any other suggestions on games - the other ones I have thought about are NGG or SS but I think these are moving out of my price range.

#2 5 years ago

i think we have a very clear cut easy & fun to play vs difficult & not always so fun type of thing going on here. What kinda player are you? Can you handle getting your butt kicked by a machine several times in a row? Do you want the game to be fun for casual players/guests?

My answer is WCS regardless of your answers.

Edit: you have WCS listed in your collection right now, so i'm confused right now.

#3 5 years ago

I was about to pull trigger on a WCS to restore and added it to my games but decided to send out a post to make sure before the final decision.

I am an average player but growing my collection a little. I seem to like to restore game as it keeps me busy...

I do like the game to be fun....

#5 5 years ago

I will add that I have MMr and Predator on pre-order

#6 5 years ago

FT but maybe that's because I just finished playing my Fishtales for the last 2 hours.

#7 5 years ago

FT is a much more challenging pin (with lightning flippers) than WCS. Shorter ball times for sure.

This is a close call for me personally. The fishing theme is fine for me, more so than soccer, but I personally don't care for the music in FT at all (even though it was done by Granner). WCS has a pretty cool layout by JPop. Then again, FT is a cool design by Mark Ritchie.

Both are fun pins. I might give a slight edge to FT overall, especially in the home environment, since it is more challenging than WCS.

You should add a poll.

#8 5 years ago

Both fun, but shallow games. I would give an edge to WCS, although the super jackpots in FT are great.

#9 5 years ago

FT gets my vote.

Great video mode, good humor, and overall fun-factor.

#10 5 years ago

Had both, WCS just doesn't hold up. FT is a much better Pin all around.

#11 5 years ago

WCS gets my vote. It is a fun game to play. FT I just don't like the gameplay. And WCS when it is bright and shiny with LEDs is awesome to look at, the colors are great.

#12 5 years ago

I would think that since you have MMR and Pred on pre-order you could surely do what I did and add the both of them!

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinballer:

I would think that since you have MMR and Pred on pre-order you could surely do what I did and add the both of them!

I am only going to add one of the games. I think I might stick with the WCS. I can see if I get the FT I would end up going all in and getting the new cabinet and a new playflelds will be available - so it will cost a lot. At least with the WCS I am limited in what I can buy to restore.....

After I restore this one I might move on to a Data East like Jurassic Park or GNR. I have actually been looking for a Jurassic Park.

#14 5 years ago

had both. sold wcs and only let FT go because the guy wanted it with the wcs .i wanted a better one. that one came a few weeks ago and havent stop playing it since. but that is just me.

#15 5 years ago

The main issue with WCS94 is the availability of replacement plastics and ramps at a reasonable price.

#16 5 years ago

I've owned both and this one isn't even close for me...WCS94 runs circles around FT.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from c2scanada:

The main issue with WCS94 is the availability of replacement plastics and ramps at a reasonable price

Yea - I have done a lot of research on that. The ramps on the game I am looking at look pretty good. I think they can be flame torched and come out pretty decent (I did this with great success on the W2HO I restored). You can get the right lower ramp from Marco and the back ramp from a place in Australia. I have not been able to locate the ramp over the mini-playfield. I can get some plastics but not the whole set and some individual pieces are ridiculously priced. I hope the flame torching comes out good because buying the ramps and all the decals on them adds up fast.

The playfield on the game I am buying does have some wear but not as bad as some WCS games I have seen. Cliffy's should take care of all the spots. There was a little wear around some of the rollovers as the black area against the rollover has lost some color. I will have to learn what I can do about that...

I did invest today in a Pinrestore rivet press - So i am looking forward to trying that out and being able to restore parts with rivets.

#18 5 years ago

The Cliffy's definitely cover up the wear issues.
They are a pain to install
- Be careful not to bend them upwards, they tend to curl up
- Extra thin double sided tape may be necessary to hold them down

When your are ordering the plastics I would order the green plastic posts and pop bumper covers at the same time.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from c2scanada:

The Cliffy's definitely cover up the wear issues.
They are a pain to install
- Be careful not to bend them upwards, they tend to curl up
- Extra thin double sided tape may be necessary to hold them down

Thanks for the heads up

#20 5 years ago

I have had both and I prefer FT but both are fun pins. You can't go wrong with your decision but I think FT will hold your interest longer but is usually a little more expensive for a nice one.

#21 5 years ago

This is a tough one but Im gonna go with Fish Tales.

#22 5 years ago

I just picked up a FT last weekend. It is a much more brutal game then WCS. I've found myself gravatating towards these kinds of games (IM, ACDC, FT). WCS is a nice game and probably one of JPop's best designs.

As others have said if you want a easier Longer ball time game get WCS, if you want a more brutal/short ball time pin look into FT.

#23 5 years ago

FT is a better all around pin..although WCS is a fun pin too it's a bit too easy for me.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

As others have said if you want a easier Longer ball time game get WCS, if you want a more brutal/short ball time pin look into FT.

Thanks - I am going to go with the WCS. I want to have a game that some casual players can enjoy at my house. Good intro to pinball. I have a LUCI coming so that can be my harder game...

#25 5 years ago

Have you played them both?

I'm a big fan of fish tales and think it is very fun for casual players. On one hand it can be a drain monster, but on the other hand, it has great sound, humor and rules that are quick for new players to pick up. It also has the boat ramp which provides an obvious target for new players and that is satisfying to hit. I don't think casual players mind a tough game so much if it is set on Free Play.

For more experienced players you can try to get the jackpots during multiball and collect the Big Fish. It also has a great video mode. Definitely has that "just one more game" pull to me.

An all around great package in my opinion.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 159.99

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside