53%
  • Indy 500 55 votes
    47%

(116 votes)

#1 5 years ago

Fish Tales vs Indy 500.

Which is better and why?

#2 5 years ago

I had both. Still have I500. No comparison whatsoever. I500 is fast furious and one of the best games IMO and I have owned a lot. Fish tales fun, but no I500.

#3 5 years ago

More going on in I500, eXpecially with modes if that's more your thing. I think FT is a little more classic, and would work better in a big collection...maybe?

#4 5 years ago

I500 smokes it. Much more to do.

#5 5 years ago

I prefer I500 I feel like it has much more to do.

#6 5 years ago

This is a really good "Vs". I've owned Fish Tales (FT) twice and I consider it my "guilty pleasure" game. I've probably played more games on FT then any other game. Benefits include simple rules, short ball times, great video mode, and secondary goals such as rock the boat, biggest liar, fish caught, etc. Some might argue that those first two benefits are actually negative, so I guess it's all about what you are looking for. Personally, I think there are more good games with deeper rulesets and longer ball times. It's harder to find good games with simpler rulesets and shorter ball times; especially modern games. FT is one of those that has the perfect balance. Despite all of my games on FT, I've never lit the super jackpot a second time, which, if my memory is correct is worth something like 500,000,000. I have less time on Indianapolis 500 (I500), but I've really enjoyed the games I've played. My only hesitation is what I posted above; it's easier to find good games with deeper rulesets. I would say the choice comes down to what type of game you are looking for. I feel strongly that a good collection should have both types of games.

#7 5 years ago

indy 500 has soooooo much more going for it than FT. More modes, more shots, great audio, great animations, and great layout. I have owned both, i500 will never leave but looking to get another FT because of the theme. Also, my i500 is immaculate huo to boot!

#8 5 years ago

I've owned I-500 three times and FT once. The FT sat two games away from all 3 I-500s and is still sitting there and there's not an I-500 in my collection anymore. I like I-500, it's a good game, but just doesn't have the staying power of other games in my opinion. FT isn't the deepest game, but it's hard with lightning flippers and all the shots just feel fun to me. A lot of my friends and family ask why I don't get rid of Fish Tales, but it's still sitting in my collection 5 years later, just something about it.

#9 5 years ago

I absolutely LOVED my I500. It also can be an infuriating machine. Also I don't think I've gotten angrier at any machine as much in my life.

There classic voices, non-stop action, and no "breaks". You essentially can't cradle and there's not stopping the ball essentially. It's addictive as hell.

#10 5 years ago

both are great for different reasons!

too close to vote on this one honestly

#11 5 years ago

I have Indy 500 and it can be so brutal I think of selling. More than anything I own.

However I love the modes and the rules and the condition so it stays. It must be programmed after so much failure then comes an unbelievable game.

#12 5 years ago

Indy 500 all day!!!

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

I had both. Still have I500. No comparison whatsoever. I500 is fast furious and one of the best games IMO and I have owned a lot. Fish tales fun, but no I500.

This is my exact experience also. Bought FT and I500 at the same time (in 1999)...just got I500 because it was a good deal (at auction) and hadn't played it more than a couple games. I don't care for racing much, but I500 is done really well. I500 got played WAY more than FT. FT has come again gone a second time, I500 is still here and still gets more play (by me) than Addams and Twilight Zone.

#14 5 years ago

I500 by a longshot!!! That game has never been on my radar until I played one.....wow!! Layout, shots, and rules are excellent! A WPC sleeper if there ever was one!

#15 5 years ago

It's interesting. If you read this thread, it seems like I500 would be winning by a landslide. The poll, however, has FT in the lead with 60%. I personally prefer I500. The turbo lock is just so damn cool, and it's a fast and difficult game. FT is no slouch, though. They are both excellent titles.

#16 5 years ago

It's b/c many of those FT votes haven't played I500. They think it's a dumb racer. The game is such a sleeper it's crazy and I expect it to climb in value.

#17 5 years ago

I’m a huge FT fan but have never played I500 so I did not vote. However b/c of this thread i want to find and play one!

#18 5 years ago

It is funny that almost every person responding to this says I500 and the poll shows something completely different. I expected this to be a landslide for Fish Tales. I've played both and will say Indy was fun, but didn't strike me as a game that I would want long term. I didn't get a ton of time on it though.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from Completist:

I’m a huge FT fan but have never played I500 so I did not vote. However b/c of this thread i want to find and play one!

"Beating the game" in I500 -- that is, surviving 200 laps AND finishing 1st -- is REALLY dependent on the 3rd shot of the "Gasoline Alley" Mode. You pass 15 cars if you hit that shot, which is absolutely huge and probably 99% necessary to actually finish the 200 laps AND be in first place. I did that once.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

"Beating the game in I500 -- that is, surviving 200 laps AND finishing 1st -- is REALLY dependent on the 3rd shot of the "Gasoline Alley" Mode. You pass 15 cars if you hit that shot, which is absolutely huge and probably 99% necessary to actually finish the 200 laps AND be in first place. I did that once.

I owned the game for several years and only finished the race in first once. It's definitely not an easy thing to accomplish.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

It is funny that almost every person responding to this says I500 and the poll shows something completely different. I expected this to be a landslide for Fish Tales. I've played both and will say Indy was fun, but didn't strike me as a game that I would want long term. I didn't get a ton of time on it though.

It's an awesome game to get your skills sharp. It's REALLY tough, active, NOT-RELAXING pinball.

#22 5 years ago

So funny that all the NASCAR junkies with chips on their shoulders (and I500 they want to sell lol) are pumping I500, but the popular vote is Fish Tales.

As it should be.

Fish Tales is a perfect game, for a variety of reasons that, if you’ve played it, you know. I500 is a good game, but far from perfect. Leaves a lot to be desired.

#23 5 years ago

Fish tales for us... didnt care for i500 much at all

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

So funny that all the NASCAR junkies with chips on their shoulders (and I500 they want to sell lol) are pumping I500, but the popular vote is Fish Tales.
As it should be.
Fish Tales is a perfect game, for a variety of reasons that, if you’ve played it, you know. I500 is a good game, but far from perfect. Leaves a lot to be desired.

Coming from a guy with a FT Avatar. I absolutely hate Nascar (the sport... Game isn't bad). FT is a perfect game? 0 for 2.

#25 5 years ago

I say both with the crazy pricing these days. But FT first. That machine has more than doubled in value from 5 years ago. I500 gone up, but not crazy FT up.

1 month later
#26 5 years ago

I have to have both. FT got me into pinball and I've been to the race 9 times. I made the mistake of selling I500 once and it took me 6 years to get it back. Luckily it did not increase in price very much over that time. I always wanted to upgrade my FT to a nicer one, but never pulled the trigger, and now that the prices are so stupid it'll probably never happen. I think I paid around $1500 with shipping in 2006, which was wayyyy too much for back then considering the condition it was in. I might actually be able to turn a profit if I sold it now, but that's not happening!

As far as gameplay, I give a slight nod to FT. Yeah, it's not as deep, but there's is something cathartic about hitting those boat ramp shots and then nailing the monster fish. The video mode is way better than I500's too. I like to drink a beer (or six) and not have to think too hard when I play pinball, so the depth of a game isn't necessarily a big attracter for me.

1 month later
#27 5 years ago

After recently adding I500 and becoming an owner of both games, I think the poll results favoring FT are due to fewer people having experience with I500.

Both games are great and I'm really satisfied with each. But If I could only have one, It'd be I500.

I like the simplicity and challenge of FT, but overall I500 offers more to do, generates more excitement when you play, is also simple to understand, and still a great challenge.

Although the 3rd flipper only has one shot, it's both challenging and rewarding as hell when combo'd with the left orbit.

It is totally legit to say you need to have both.

#28 5 years ago

I500 all day. Better rules, better flow, better shots and better theme integration.

Its primary weakness is that the programming is incomplete and many points aren't appropriately awarded.

3 months later
#29 4 years ago

Bump for a very good vs. poll....

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

After recently adding I500 and becoming an owner of both games, I think the poll results favoring FT are due to fewer people having experience with I500.
Both games are great and I'm really satisfied with each. But If I could only have one, It'd be I500.
I like the simplicity and challenge of FT, but overall I500 offers more to do, generates more excitement when you play, is also simple to understand, and still a great challenge.
Although the 3rd flipper only has one shot, it's both challenging and rewarding as hell when combo'd with the left orbit.
It is totally legit to say you need to have both.

Agree I500 has a bit more to offer game play-wise, but FT has better theme, looks, music, charm. Both are very good. FT gets my vote.

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

FT has better theme, looks, music, charm.

Chris Granner says he’s a bluegrass fan and this is his favorite game he did.

#32 4 years ago

Agree I500 has a bit more to offer game play-wise, but FT has better theme, looks, music, charm. Both are very good. FT gets my vote.

Ugh. I HATE the music in Fish Tales. Second only to Carlene Carter in Roadshow.

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Different strokes. I also love the red neck audio in Whoa Nellie and the "old time" audio on Fire! & Champ Pub.

#34 4 years ago

Different strokes. I also love the red neck audio in Whoa Nellie and the "old time" audio on Fire! & Champ Pub.

Fire! and Champion Pub aren't really the same genre of music. They're fine in my book. Bad country and bad bluegrass are irritating.

#35 4 years ago

No other pin has music like Fish Tales. It fits the theme - fast, fun, and outdoorsy. If it had generic rock music, the pin would be less of a classic and way less desirable. Fish Tales rules!

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Two for two. Both games I actually prefer in loud places so I can't hear anything.

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from plovis:

Two for two. Both games I actually prefer in loud places so I can't hear anything.

Getaway is a game that the main music gets to me for some reason. FT fits the theme.

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

No other pin has music like Fish Tales. It fits the theme - fast, fun, and outdoorsy. If it had generic rock music, the pin would be less of a classic and way less desirable. Fish Tales rules!

It's not the genre that makes Fish Tales music bad, but that it's a poor example of the genre. It's also too tightly looped/repetitive.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 49.99
$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods
Tools
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
(Alt) Translites
$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs
Displays
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 54.96
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Boards
PinSound
Boards
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Boards
Slap Save Creations
Boards
4,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Herndon, VA
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC
Other
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement
Cabinet parts
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball
Led
$ 40.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ft-vs-i500 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.