(Topic ID: 12444)

FT: Very nice Earthshaker in So. Cal. (SOLD)

By Kevin_LHeureux

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by RawleyD
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

Hey all,

I have decided to rotate out my very nice ES.

A quick rundown. I personally did a full restoration on the cabinet, inside and out including the full sanding treatment, paint, complete dis-assembly and everything else that is done when I restore a cabinet. The only thing I did not do was to decal the head since the head was immaculate to start. The head is factory painted, the cabinet like 99% of ES’s was decal’ed. I custom painted the legs, start button and a few other parts. New blue shooter rod was installed as well. I repainted the coin door and refreshed all metal parts.

As for the playfield, I did not do a full “restoration” rather, I did a very comprehensive shop job. I did this beacause I was planning on replacing the playfield with the incoming CPR ES playfield and plastics that were due to be out this last summer but have not been released yet. Every part was dis-assembled, cleaned, etc. The playfield is in extremely nice condition and has factory mylar that I considered removing but have not gotten around to. The inserts have not lifted which is also uncommon for an ES. I believe that if the mylar was removed it would look spectacular due to the low plays this game has seen. I installed a new set of slings and the other easy break plastics.

Boards are all factory matching and clean.

I have a new set of skill shot plastics that I need to install and I need to get a new set of brushes for the shaker motor as its shakes too softly sometimes.

I was told by the seller that he bought the game locally from The Game Doc in 1995 so it was not routed as heavily as most.

If I were to sell it I would ask $2500 but would prefer a trade within Ca, NV, or AZ

I'd prefer 90's WMS/BLY DMD pins like CP, SC, RS, though I'd like a super nice BK2K, FH, Medusa, Fathom, Centaur or WH20 if we were talking non DMD.

Let me know what you have as I'd entertain lots of titles.

Email me for pics.

Thanks!
Kevin

Post edited by Kevin_LHeureux : Game has sold

#2 12 years ago

I got to play one of these last week and it was a great ride, lotsa fun and really cool.
Definitely nicer than anything I own. Someday I will have pins like this.

#3 12 years ago

I don't care how nice the game is, your price is crazy. If you're going to ask twice what a game is worth, it had better be HUO at the very least.

#4 12 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

If you're going to ask twice what a game is worth

Remember...they can *ask* anything.

#5 12 years ago

Sure, I never said he shouldn't be able to ask. There are a lot of newbs on these boards, I was just trying to give anyone that didn't know any better food for thought.

Quoted from wizzardz:

Remember...they can *ask* anything.

#6 12 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

I don't care how nice the game is, your price is crazy. If you're going to ask twice what a game is worth, it had better be HUO at the very least.

ooh look. The rgp price police have made it over here now. GREAT!

Spend the money on a new set of cab decals and parts then throw the extensive amount of labor that doing a proper cabinet restore and shop job entails and the value becomes apparent. Have you seen this machine? Can you competently asses it's value from behind your keyboard?

Check my rep on rgp (do a search) before you trash talk me or my work. I'm no scam artist. Keep it to yourself.

In fact, here is a link to just some of my work http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/kevinlheureux

Besides, I am looking for a trade in case you didn't bother to read the important part of the post.

#7 12 years ago
Quoted from Kevin_LHeureux:

In fact, here is a link to just some of my work

That High Speed looks frick'n sweet!!

#8 12 years ago
Quoted from hawkeye11:

Kevin_LHeureux said:In fact, here is a link to just some of my work
That High Speed looks frick'n sweet!!

The MM isn't too shabby either!

#9 12 years ago

Okay man, fair enough. You're right, I don't know where I got the $2,500 price tag from, my mistake. You also said you wouldn't sell, just looking to trade.

Look man, I never said your work was bad. It sounds like you did a nice job on the cab, and it sounds like you shopped it well.

Post some pics then, lets see what this looks like. If it's a $2,500 Earthshaker I have no problem admitting I'm wrong.

If I were to sell it I would ask $2500 but would prefer a trade within Ca, NV, or AZ

#10 12 years ago

Here are some pics of the ES. I will also add that the coin door has been restored, ramps torched, etc.

http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/album1423?page=1

I might also pull the mylar if I hang onto it which should reveal some pristine paint. There is no insert lifting, only mylar bubbling so it shouldn't be an issue as long as patience and care is taken.

#11 12 years ago

Is that mylar over mylar? I assume all the bubbling at the inserts is mylar, but then I see the sling mylars on top of that area? Your cabinet looks great, but my opinion only, that mylar needs to go away...It immediately detracts negatively from what could be a beautiful game.

#12 12 years ago

I agree about the mylar though it doesn't look as apparent in person as it does in the pics. Also, I had just finished the game before I left town for 4 months having just returned I haven't had time to decide what to do with it.

#13 12 years ago

Pulling the mylar on a system 11 is not an easy task (from what I've read) Without the clear protecting the play field, insert damage and general paint damage is common.

I think the pictures speak for themselves.

I agree about the mylar though it doesn't look as apparent in person as it does in the pics. Also, I had just finished the game before I left town for 4 months having just returned I haven't had time to decide what to do with it.

#14 12 years ago

Thats typical mylar on an ES. I had an ES and let me tell you, this machine is in sweet condition. I dont know if I would pay 2500 for this era game but, that is by far the best condition I have seen one.

I would probably sell it for pretty close to $2500 if I had it.

Hell, look at the resellers online. Some of themare selling ES for $1800 and you know they are average machines...

check it : http://www.pinballuniverse.com/earthshaker2/

#15 12 years ago

Did you happen to look at the pics of the High Speed I restored on my webpage? Full play field mylar on that as well. I restored that game and took the time to remove the mylar. I'm no rookie. You've read about it but I have done it. I'd say it came out pretty nice. What do you think? You're right though, it's no easy task but if you know what you are doing it's completely do-able.

As I said before, I was planning on installing a repro playfield when they become available which would severely increase the price on this machine. Maybe I'll remove the mylar on the game and bump the price commensurately.

Quoted from jalpert:

Pulling the mylar on a system 11 is not an easy task (from what I've read) Without the clear protecting the play field, insert damage and general paint damage is common.
I think the pictures speak for themselves.
Kevin_LHeureux said:I agree about the mylar though it doesn't look as apparent in person as it does in the pics. Also, I had just finished the game before I left town for 4 months having just returned I haven't had time to decide what to do with it.

#16 12 years ago

Maybe I'll remove the mylar on the game and bump the price commensurately.

Honestly, that's exactly what I think you should do.

At the price that you are asking, any potential buyer is going to be worried about what will happen when they try to take that mylar off in terms of how much damage it might cause. Probably not a risk many will want to take at this price point.

Taking it off yourself will remove that issue from consideration and a potential buyer will be able to see exactly what they are going to get with the mylar removed.

#17 12 years ago

Kevin, I don't doubt your skills...I've been on RGP long enough to know you've been around the block. I've done a couple of mylar removals on System 11 games, and for me it has been hit or miss. F-14 went okay, one Pin*bot went okay, another was a bear. I chickened out on a HS and left well enough alone. It seems to come down to whether the mylar was factory applied and how soon into the curing process it was applied vs operator applied mylar. In your experience have you had better luck with heat or cold on system 11's? I'll always use cold on DP/Cleared, but I always try both on pre-WPC.

#18 12 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

In your experience have you had better luck with heat or cold on system 11's? I'll always use cold on DP/Cleared, but I always try both on pre-WPC.

You know it's always a case by case basis for which method to use but typically I use the "slow heat" method in conjunction with a fair amount of Goo Gone for non-DP games which seems to work best. I feel like if I freeze it there is a greater chance that paint can "pop" off in an instant and there is no going back. If I heat it then I can see whats coming. Like you, I use freeze spray on DP games because it's quick and easy with very little chance of issues.

Quoted from RobT:

Honestly, that's exactly what I think you should do.

At the price that you are asking, any potential buyer is going to be worried about what will happen when they try to take that mylar off in terms of how much damage it might cause. Probably not a risk many will want to take at this price point.

Taking it off yourself will remove that issue from consideration and a potential buyer will be able to see exactly what they are going to get with the mylar removed.

As I said in a previous post, the mylar is not as apparent in person as it is in the pics with the flash so it's really not that big of a deal. As-is it's nicer looking than probably 90% of ES's out there and there is always a risk that things could go wrong if I do pull the mylar. I am a bit of a risk taker though so who knows.

1 week later
#19 12 years ago

Bump. Any questions, feel free to ask.

#20 12 years ago

i saw a nice condition earthshaker sell for $1900 (in indiana) on this board about 2 weeks ago (and 10 people fighting over it). $2500 perhaps for inflated california prices (not poking fun, seriously). Probably a fair price actually.

#21 12 years ago

Nice. I'm picking up a nice one Saturday for 1k.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Fort Wayne, IN
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

3,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Nashua, NH
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
System-J

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RRB Crafts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ft-very-nice-earthshaker-in-so-cal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.