(Topic ID: 82206)

POLL--Fish Tales: Lightning Flips Or Standard WMS Bats?

By NM

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Stebel
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“On Fish Tales: Lightning Flippers Or Standard Bats?”

• Lightning Flippers 69 votes
    71%
  • Standard Bats 28 votes
    29%

(97 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image-642.jpg

#1 5 years ago

I recall that Mark Ritchie actually designed Fish Tales with standard WMS bats--and that prototypes were with shipped with standard bats.

But in the end, WMS agreed to a big Op's request for shorter ball times--and subsequently shipped production models with Lightning flips installed.

So, what flippers do you like better on FT?

Curious to hear the comments from owners and POs who've tried both, and permanently chosen one or the other.

Happy flippin'!

#2 5 years ago

My girls hate short ball times and drainers so i changed to standard flippers after purchasing the game

#3 5 years ago

I enjoy the lightning flippers better, although hard to find replacements. To increase ball times I cheated and moved the outlane posts down, although the ball always seems to still drain there.

#4 5 years ago

Lightning or nothing. Short ball times? Ive had 25-30 min games on 3-ball. There are a lot of extra balls to earn. Oh yeah you definitely need the move those out-lane posts down!

#5 5 years ago

Have to say lightning flippers. The games that use them feel like they should be there. Its part of its charm. I can't believe in this day and age though that they can't properly replicate a part from the nineties.

#6 5 years ago

Regular flippers, as designed!

#7 5 years ago

I had a couple FTs. My first had the lightning flippers..my current one does not (anyone got a pair for sale?). I REALLY like the lightning flippers better than the standard bats. In fact the lightning flippers on the FT have actually drawn me to other lightning flippers games. I've added BR, BSD and DW.

#8 5 years ago

Mine came with lightning flippers and although it kicked my arse at first (still does a lot of the time) I wouldn't change them as I think it made me a better player. I did find myself avoiding other lightning flipper pins like BSD when they came up though and decided that rather than put normal flippers on the FT I would just buy other normal flipper games for the best of both worlds. Just waiting for them to be shipped though......bloody slow freight company

Cheers

#9 5 years ago

Mine came with lightning flippers but I decided to swap in regular yellow ones. Then Lyman came over and put up an astronomical score of like 2.3B! I immediately put the lightning flippers back in and reset the scores. It definitely was too easy with standard flippers in that game...

#10 5 years ago

Part of the fun is the challenge. Got to go with the Lightning Flipper bats.

#11 5 years ago

fishtales + standard flipper bats =

#12 5 years ago

You get use to lightning bats.
A lot of things change from what the designer wants compare to what gets shipped. If the game was too easy as designed I don't see the issue with making the game more challenging by going with lightning flippers.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

You get use to lightning bats.
A lot of things change from what the designer wants compare to what gets shipped. If the game was too easy as designed I don't see the issue with making the game more challenging by going with lightning flippers.

That wasn't why they were changed when those games went to production. FT and BSD and DW weren't easy games with regular flippers. It was a bad marketing idea to change to those lightning flippers thinking the games would earn more money with shorter ball times because their largest EU distributor convinced him to do it because that's what he did on all the games that passed through his hands over there.

#14 5 years ago

lightning flips go with fishtales like peanut butter goes with jelly. Wouldn't have it any other way.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

lightning flips go with fishtales like peanut butter goes with jelly. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Agreed they are part of Pin-history and folk law now so should stay on the machines that have them, mine are

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from MXV:

That wasn't why they were changed when those games went to production. FT and BSD and DW weren't easy games with regular flippers. It was a bad marketing idea to change to those lightning flippers thinking the games would earn more money with shorter ball times because their largest EU distributor convinced him to do it because that's what he did on all the games that passed through his hands over there.

Sorry, I was equating long ball times with someone considering it "too easy."
I certainly understand where you are coming from as far a purist thing but games were changed all the time
From what the designer wanted to what game was actually produced.

image-642.jpg
1 week later
#17 5 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Lightning Bolt Flipper bats now on the store (YELLOW, WHITE, BLACK, RED (regular red, not blood red) 20-9734-X
http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=PP&Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=FB
These are injected parts, so there should no issues as had been experienced with a previous incarnation of them.
We are still working on getting the 'blood red' color corect, so that will take a little time ... stay tuned on that
rick@planetarypinball.com

Found above comment in the BSD Lightning Bolts Vs. Regular Flipper poll thread.

Wasn't aware of this news, so I thought I'd post it in this FT poll thread (along with a link to the other thread below).

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-you-set-up-your-bsd-lightning-flippers-or-regular-flippers

#18 5 years ago

I've never played with regular bats even tho Python told me to "trash those dumb things" when he signed my game. Gotta say I've been tempted once or twice, but I kinda like the challenge.

#19 5 years ago

FT is hard as heck with lightning flippers and I know they were just a cash cow ploy for ops, but it's what was originally on the game, as well as BSD and DW, so I can't bring myself to replacing. I own two of those games and had BSD in the past, all had the lightning flips on them.

#20 5 years ago

in my home , BSD and FT are standard . lightning were a coin-op money grab , i want to have fun , not play competitively in my home. Also if the lightning flippers would have remained on BSD my wife would never have gotten into it, its now her fav game .

#21 5 years ago

If I was playing FT or BSD on location, I'd hate lightning flippers, but at home playing for free, I like the different feel lightning flippers give these two games. Lightning flippers make the game play a little tougher than regular flippers as tip passes are slightly off and some slap saves come up a little short compared to regular flippers, but once you get used them you may find yourself taking your shots a little more carefully and nudging the ball a little more forcefully here or there to get it back to your flippers far enough away from the tips of the flippers so that the fact the flippers are 1/8" shorter isn't that big of a deal.

Luckily flippers are pretty easily interchangable so you can change out lightning with regular flippers (or vice versa) within a matter of minutes.

#22 5 years ago

So they originally shipped with the lightning ones? Dang I thought it was the other way around... mine had one of each, so if figured I'd go original with regular ones...
I'd pretty much vote for "as shipped" most of the time.

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

So they originally shipped with the lightning ones?

Yup (except for the prototypes).

#24 5 years ago

Regular flips for me, as intended by the designers. I don't care if some company exec made a decision based on $$ back in the 90's.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from The_Director:

FT is hard as heck with lightning flippers and I know they were just a cash cow ploy for ops, but it's what was originally on the game, as well as BSD and DW, so I can't bring myself to replacing. I own two of those games and had BSD in the past, all had the lightning flips on them.

Technically no they weren't what was originally on the game as all of them were designed and sent out on test with regular sized flippers on them. The switch happened when the games went into production and not at the request of the designer.

#26 5 years ago

Every tournament FT I've played has only featured lightning flippers.

There was a FT I had access to on route that I played a lot of, but it had regular flippers instead of lightning. As a result, I often struggle in tournament play on FT. All the shots are at different spots on the flippers.

So my vote is lightning.

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from jpolfer:

Every tournament FT I've played has only featured lightning flippers.
There was a FT I had access to on route that I played a lot of, but it had regular flippers instead of lightning. As a result, I really stink in tournament play on FT. All the shots are at different spots on the flippers.
So my vote is lightning.

They've also put them on other games that never had them in some tourneys too.

#28 5 years ago

Ride the lightning baby`~!

#29 5 years ago

Love the Lightning flippers! BSD is a great example as well...

10 months later
#30 4 years ago

Never considered changing to normal flippers other than to see how much easier it gets, but making it easier wouldnt add anything, original configuration feels good to me. Its one of the features that makes Fish Tales different, and i dont believe in the conspiracy theories about making more $.

#31 4 years ago

I don't think Black Rose is a lightning flipper game. The 4 I know are: Fish Tales, Bram Stroker's Dracula, Doctor Who and Popeye.

Quoted from Monster_Bash:

I had a couple FTs. My first had the lightning flippers..my current one does not (anyone got a pair for sale?). I REALLY like the lightning flippers better than the standard bats. In fact the lightning flippers on the FT have actually drawn me to other lightning flippers games. I've added BR, BSD and DW.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 109.99
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside