• Latest reply 12 years ago by wesperron
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

_DSC0004.jpg
#1 12 years ago

Looks like a common thing, but how to fix this?

_DSC0004.jpg_DSC0004.jpg

#2 12 years ago

I used Decolor paint markers on mine and it came out pretty nice. Alternatively, you could use the decals everybody sells. I've never used them but they're quite available.

http://www.littleshopofgames.com/Games/fisht.html

#3 12 years ago

I would try to match the paint first and touch it up that way before you resort to the decals. The decals will sit above the surface and cause a ridge, you have to remove all of the paint before you put the decal down or clear coat it until it's smooth. I just went through this with diner. I used decals and had to clear coat 7 layers to cover the decals and get it smooth.

I would highly recommend trying to paint it first. A good color match can make the fix almost invisable. I use epoxy inks to repair play fields. They are a 2 part ink that requires a hardener but they are very durable and don't need to be covered with a mylar and they mix great for color matching. Great when you are not clear coating.

#4 12 years ago

Wes, do you have a brand you like for the epoxy inks and where do you usually pick them up at?

#5 12 years ago

thanks, if you study the picture you might see that there is a small depression around the fish, should i just fill it up with paint? the decals are not my preferred solution but thanks for the link. i did see them a while back.
I'm getting the courage to strip my play field down, fix it up and clear coat it after browsing this forum out.

#6 12 years ago
Quoted from Thunderpants:

a small depression around the fish

I'm wondering if it's a insert popping out?

#7 12 years ago

im wondering what is happening too. is an "insert" the little clear area where the light is shining thru?
The word suggest that it is something you insert into something else
it looks like I'm getting dragged deeper into the world of old pins.

#8 12 years ago

All the Fishtales that i have seen have this problem its just normal wear.

#9 12 years ago

the search function is my friend...
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-decals
would this apply to my problem?

#10 12 years ago
Quoted from ARTMAN:

Wes, do you have a brand you like for the epoxy inks and where do you usually pick them up at?

I use Enthone or Nazdar epoxy screen ink. I use this ink in my work as I own a screen printing shop and I print on metal and glass. The problem with using these inks is they are very expensive. I buy them from a screen printing supply, Lambert Screen Printing supply. It's probably not the most practical type of ink to use due to the price but the durabilty makes it great for pinball playfields.

I buy them in quart sizes but they may have them in smaller sizes...the quarts can go for $40 to $150 a qt. depending on the color. But you may be able to find them in smaller size tubes.

#11 12 years ago

Has anyone done the hairdryer-on-inserts trick on a diamond playfield?
I watched

with a guy removing inserts from what looks like an older playfield. but will it work for me?

#12 12 years ago

You might want to check this overlay out at Mad-Amusements
http://mad-amusements.com/product.php?id_product=256
It looks large enough to cover your problem area.

#13 12 years ago

Nice one Out-West, thanks
but us newbies just keep asking and asking...
an overlay would be slightly raised relative to the rest of the playfield. Would that be uncool?
on a side note, my machine has made 600$ in it's first 40 days at moon bar. please don't ever ask how much i paid for it.

#14 12 years ago

an overlay would be slightly raised relative to the rest of the playfield. Would that be uncool?

Yes, that's why I avoid them if I can. Some are thicker than others. I just clear coated a Diner and used overlay decals in some areas. I had to do about 5 extra coats and sanding to get it smooth on the final coat.

Has anyone done the hairdryer-on-inserts trick on a diamond playfield?

Yes. Heat from underneath then tap it down with a block and hammer lightly until flat. You may get some cracking of the clearr coat around the insert. You can fill them with water consistancy super glue then sand with 600 grit to smooth it out.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 37.50
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Plantsville, CT
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 8.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, LA
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

4,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Balt, MD
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 26.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ft-playfield-repair and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.