Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 250 posts
  • 87 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by LitzDoc
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    591863863_tp.jpg
    591863676_tp.jpg
    591863215_tp.jpg
    591863197_tp.jpg
    1503005(17).JPG
    1503005(14).JPG
    1503005(7).JPG
    1503005(1).JPG
    596992309_tp.jpg
    596992287_tp.jpg
    596992221_tp.jpg
    Watch 3.jpg
    watch 2.jpg
    image.jpg
    watch.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider irobot.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#53 9 years ago

I like watches

I don't like the way that watch prices have been inflating

it takes the joy out buying a nice watch when you know you're being chumped.

women are glad to pay $1000 for a nice quality $400 handbag. they get $600 worth of bragging rights.

that idea does not appeal to me at all

what's the manufacturing cost of a typical stainless steel omega or rolex?

you take away the snob appeal and what do you have? A $1000 watch

#61 9 years ago

"A DateJust Rolex model cost $900 in 1981 and by 1991 the price had skyrocketed to $2350 for the same model with minimal improvements."

the watch snobbery thing is currently basically about on par with women buying coach handbags

they make 1 million Rolexes per year on mass production machines that rolex invented

it's not some incredible handmade watch, they just have incredible branding and marketing

#94 9 years ago

They really went nuts with the oversize watch faces. before long that fad's going to be as cool as a leisure suit and disco chains.

Do yourself a favor and buy a "normal" size watch

My friend worked at the biggest BMW dealership in Florida

He said the salesmen would stand behind the customers as they signed the paperwork and pretend to shear their head with an imaginary pair of clippers

"shearing the sheep"

he also said the number of repossessions was amazing. There are vast numbers of people who are way over-extended on bank loans.

In my mind, owning a lot of stuff with bank loans is the exact opposite of being rich.

I owned a BMW, it was a nice car but not spectacular.

I'd be happy to buy another one but it's off-putting to buy a product that has a customer base that takes pride in being overcharged.

in any case, to each his own.

#100 9 years ago

I have to disagree with you on the "keeping up with the pinhead" comment.

Collectable items are generally considered to be an inflation hedge, a way to protect wealth from inflation when the stock market is doing poorly.

I mean true established collectable stuff like stamps or coins or antiques.

Not stuff that's specifically made to be collected like Disney figurines or fads like beanie babies.

If you sink money into a decent collectable like firearms, coins, stamps, generally you will at least get your money back plus inflation when you sell.

Sometimes a collector market will get hot and turn into a very nice investment.

Like for example, 60's muscle cars were selling in the $10,000 range until they suddenly became red hot in the early 1990s and now some of them are worth $100k+.

Pinball machines are collectable, they are "Americana" like vintage jukeboxes.

I think there's always going to be a collector market for 80s and 90s pinballs.

On a side note, to be fair, even though Rolexes (in my opinion) are grossly overpriced, they hold their value very well. A guy with a rolex collection is probably going to make out just fine.

#103 9 years ago

this thread got too grim and serious

#105 9 years ago

I owned a BMW, I guess that puts me in the brotherhood of "pricks"

This is just internet chitter chatter, don't take it too seriously

#127 9 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

i would not consider a volatile market like "collectibles" to be an inflation hedge in any way...
    i was around when the "stamp collecting" market crashed through the floor....

Historically, collectable stuff like firearms, antiques, artwork, coins, stamps, etc was used by rich people to protect their money from inflation risk.

Like back in the jimmy carter era, when inflation was 12%, you'd have to be making a 12% return on all your investments just to break even.

#128 9 years ago

I've been thinking about this thread.

Ultimately, the only thing I personally really care about is getting value for my money.

If I pay $2,000 for a top-quality refrigerator or whatever, I want a refrigerator that's worth $2000.

I don't want to get a $1300 refrigerator and pay an extra $700 because the refrigerator company has awesome marketing and product branding.

that's my problem with buying a lot of top-shelf products, the products might be excellent but they seem overpriced to me.

Obviously most people don't feel this way, because the free market bears the current prices

#132 9 years ago

I think you missed my point.

If Rolex was a brand new product without decades and decades of expensive marketing, realistically they would be selling a submariner for around $2500.

Aside from all that,

I think this effeminate snobbery among watch buyers is basically ruining the marketplace.

Everyone is tremendously pleased by being overcharged, nobody can explain why.

It's like back when everyone was drinking Perrier with a smug look on their face, the water came from a dirty rubber garden hose in a shed in NY

#133 9 years ago

So anyway, who's going to trade a pinball for a rolex with the original poster?

It says his account is frozen

#173 9 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Irobot,
    Married or girlfriend? You never buy her a Chanel purse or Prada?

Yes, my wife has a nice leather $400 handbag that I paid $800 for because it says "Coach" on it.

I know the drill.

#175 9 years ago
    Quoted from Curtis_Playfield:

It's always a little awkward when someone constantly overshares inane details of their financial success on the pinball threads, we're making whole separate threads about it now? C'mon guys we get it, y'all make loot, rubbing each other's noses in it is really pushing the tacky side.

Any thread that talks about luxury items always turns out the same.

Always has the same general comments back and forth.

I'm pretty sure that anyone who collects pinball games could scrounge up enough money for a Rolex.

It's not even that much money.

So is anyone going to trade a pin for one?

Why was the OP banned?

#208 9 years ago

A lot of swiss watches use movements made by a swiss firm called ETA.

Tag Heuer, Breitling, Tudor, Hamilton, Tissot, etc etc all use ETA movements.

Some of the companies take the ETA movement and pretty it up or replace some parts.

Some competing brands are actually made by the same company, like Tissot and Hamilton

You can find all this information at the various watch forums.

I researched this topic pretty well last year when I was buying and found out some very interesting information about the different brands.

A lot of these watch aficionados on the watch forums are sort of "value shoppers" in their own way, so they do a good job of picking apart all the components and build quality and so forth.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider irobot.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ft-new-rolex-watches-for-pinballs?tu=irobot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.