(Topic ID: 71622)

FT left flipper stuck in 'UP' position (EDIT: Fixed!)

By VolunteerPin

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by ArcadeUpkeep
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I was trying to pull out what I thought was a staple poking a little onto the playfield and so I pulled a couple staples that had a couple of wires soldered in that area. As far as I can tell, I did not damage the soldered area. Of course, that ended up not being the culprit (DOH! ) and was instead a nearby screw which I simply loosed up a bit.

Prior to me doing this, the pin was working fine. Now the left flipper sticks in the "UP" position whenever I start the game or go into the diagnostics menu. It stays in its normal position when I first turn on the game. I checked fuse 101 which is supposedly for the left flipper but that was fine.

As I recall from reading other stuff in the past I'm wondering if I fried a transistor or screwed up the grounding. As my knowledge of these things is relatively slight, I've taken a few photos of the area I pulled the stale free.

To put things in perspective, in the photos, the area was in between the pops on the upper part of the playfield.

http://imgur.com/a/kSGCo

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Darin

#2 7 years ago

Did you try testing for continuity yet? Sounds like two wires are touching.

#3 7 years ago

I'm not sure if pulling the staple from the gi for your pop bumper would knock out your transistor. I disconnect flipperc board on the left and see if it fire's.

#4 7 years ago

>>Prior to me doing this, the pin was working fine. Now the left flipper sticks in the "UP" position whenever I start the game or go into the diagnostics menu. It stays in its normal position when I first turn on the game. I checked fuse 101 which is supposedly for the left flipper but that was fine. <<

A 'sign' of a short circuit driver transistor on flipper controller board is if the flipper gets energized as soon as game is turned on, so to be clear you say it is only happening when you start a game NOT just turned on....yes? If so, once flipper is energized up, turn off game and see if it stays up or drops....if it stays mechanical, if it drops electronic..try that if you haven't yet and post back. Let's hope for mechanical!

#5 7 years ago

Turn off the game and flipper goes back to normal.

Turn on the game and flipper is fine until I hit the start button or go into the menu system.

#6 7 years ago

Hopefully others will chime in bump.

I just pm'd you. Lmk if you get it.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Turn off the game and flipper goes back to normal.
Turn on the game and flipper is fine until I hit the start button or go into the menu system.

And this is why details are important. That is not a shorted transistor. If it requires pressing start, most likely cause is the flipper opto switch is stuck in the on position. Debug it via switch edge test. There you can tap the flipper buttons and see it react on the screen. If the flipper that's stuck on has its switch stuck on there then you know. From there, track it down to the switch itself, the switch wiring, etc.

#8 7 years ago

"Switch levels" test will chime steady if the switch is indeed being triggering .

You can also wiggle and tweak the wiring , connectors and switchers and see if they are tripping.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

And this is why details are important. That is not a shorted transistor. If it requires pressing start, most likely cause is the flipper opto switch is stuck in the on position. Debug it via switch edge test. There you can tap the flipper buttons and see it react on the screen. If the flipper that's stuck on has its switch stuck on there then you know. From there, track it down to the switch itself, the switch wiring, etc.

Did the switch edge test (I can't believe I didn't even think of doing that earlier) and the left flipper button does not trigger any switch as it does on the right

Quoted from cal50:

"Switch levels" test will chime steady if the switch is indeed being triggering .
You can also wiggle and tweak the wiring , connectors and switchers and see if they are tripping.

Switch levels test shows:

L Flipper button closed (F4)
L Flipper EOS closed (F3)

Could it be possible that the real culprit is my L flipper button? Dang, I have to get to work and already running a few minutes late. I'll have to check this out more later. That may be tough as I'm unboxing my STLE later hopefully also!

Thanks in advance for the continued input.

Darin

#10 7 years ago

Darin....just sent you repair manual. Hope it helps w/some education besides Pinside. Please just lmk you rec. it. Good luck.

#11 7 years ago

Yes sounds like issue is that the left flipper switch is stuck closed. If this is a standard opto, possibly the plastic interrupter has broken off. If its a leaf switch perhaps the blades are touching.

#12 7 years ago

FT is the opto switch. Could be a broken interrupter, or a bad opto. If the interrupter is in tact, swap the boards between the left and right flippers. If the problem stays, it is not on the board. If it follows, board issue.

#13 7 years ago

Fixed: I should have taken a photo but once I opened the pin the problem was pretty stinkin' obvious! My left flipper button leaf switch was bent back at almost a 90 degree angle. I simply bent it back into place and viola! it was fixed. I guess that is a reminder that some fixes can be pretty simple. I'm guessing that the playfield somehow grabbed it one time when I was putting it back into place. Anyhow, thanks for the help!

Darin

#14 7 years ago

I just had a good confused laugh at the title of this thread when I read it as "FOR TRADE left flipper stuck in 'UP' position" and I couldn't figure out who would want that!

Thanks for the lunch time laugh!

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside